Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

2 hours ago, squatch66 said:

Here's my thing, at this point we are going to have to grossly overpay to get Kirk to stay. I'm thinking it would take somewhere in the 29-30 apy with something like 90 guaranteed.

My fear is that if we do a deal like that then we are going to be stuck in a situation like the Ravens were with Flacco. Flacco is far from elite but he got hot at the perfect time and had the Ravens over a barrel. They paid him and then they couldn't afford to keep guys they wanted to re-sign. That puts all the emphasis on hitting on a very high percentage of your draft picks. Does anyone have confidence in our front office to consistently hit when the Ravens had trouble doing it?

This post this has nailed it and add to it the Seahawks with Wilson. What have we won with KC? Pay him what, 30 mil a year average? Are you kidding me. He is taking advantage of a dream that a team will think they can win a super bowl if they sign him. Well boys that is a 150 MILLION DOLLAR gamble. Let him walk to a team that is desperate and see if they are happy. I will bet that right now the Raiders are kicking themselves for overpaying Karr. Take KC money and spend it on a running game and a defense. Get a high quality rook for 4mill a year like the Eagles and Rams did and use the rest for FA and our own players. It will work with a good D and running game. We are what, 5 and 9 right now so add KC money and we would not be any better we would only be poorer. Do you think signing KC will make us immune to injuries? It is not like we are adding Rodgers or Brady, we would just be paying for more 500 seasons. No money left for FA's like ZB or Swanger. You are not building a team with just the draft, you need good FA's and You need money for FA. I want that Allen kid from Wyoming. He makes it look like he is playing downhill. PS thanks to the original poster and to squatch66 for some insight. Merry Christmas.

7 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

This post this has nailed it and add to it the Seahawks with Wilson. What have we won with KC? Pay him what, 30 mil a year average? Are you kidding me. He is taking advantage of a dream that a team will think they can win a super bowl if they sign him. Well boys that is a 150 MILLION DOLLAR gamble. Let him walk to a team that is desperate and see if they are happy. I will bet that right now the Raiders are kicking themselves for overpaying Karr. Take KC money and spend it on a running game and a defense. Get a high quality rook for 4mill a year like the Eagles and Rams did and use the rest for FA and our own players. It will work with a good D and running game. We are what, 5 and 9 right now so add KC money and we would not be any better we would only be poorer. Do you think signing KC will make us immune to injuries? It is not like we are adding Rodgers or Brady, we would just be paying for more 500 seasons. No money left for FA's like ZB or Swanger. You are not building a team with just the draft, you need good FA's and You need money for FA. I want that Allen kid from Wyoming. He makes it look like he is playing downhill. PS thanks to the original poster and to squatch66 for some insight. Merry Christmas.

Allow me to address some of your wrong here. :) 

Get a high quality rook for 4mill a year like the Eagles and Rams did 

The Rams had the #1 pick to get Goff & the Eagles traded up to get Wentz. We're not going to have the #1 pick & you should remember what happened the last time we traded up for a QB.

We are what, 5 and 9 right now

We're 6 & 8.

I will bet that right now the Raiders are kicking themselves for overpaying Karr.

Who? You mean Carr? Karr was the evil version of KITT on Knight Rider.

No money left for FA's like ZB or Swanger.

I'm guessing you either mean Swearinger or "swagger". Possibly both since one has the other. :) 

3 hours ago, squatch66 said:

Here's my thing, at this point we are going to have to grossly overpay to get Kirk to stay. I'm thinking it would take somewhere in the 29-30 apy with something like 90 guaranteed.

My fear is that if we do a deal like that then we are going to be stuck in a situation like the Ravens were with Flacco. Flacco is far from elite but he got hot at the perfect time and had the Ravens over a barrel. They paid him and then they couldn't afford to keep guys they wanted to re-sign. That puts all the emphasis on hitting on a very high percentage of your draft picks. Does anyone have confidence in our front office to consistently hit when the Ravens had trouble doing it?

First off Kirk has been far better than Flacco so far, he just lacks the playoff performances but that's because his team hasn't been good enough to get him there.  One QB has been playing with  a top defense the other has been playing with one of the worst defenses in the league.  Next most Ravens fans will tell you it was a combination of Flacco playing like, well, Flacco as well as poor drafts that have really hurt them.

On 12/23/2017 at 12:50 PM, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Not without Kirk. Unless we blindly luck in to another one as good. Unlikely, but if we do, dumbass won't want to pay him.

That wasn't my point.  He was saying Kirk should leave the Redskins because they'll never be good and Kirk deserves better.  Not really fan talk.

4 hours ago, Bang said:

As opposed to "rebuilding" for 26 years and counting.

You've "seen enough" but want more.

~Bang

Seriously.  I want to keep Cousins and watch him play with a healthy team.

7 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

One player with a bullet for me will be Case Keenum. I'm seeing one of those end of career bursts ala Randall Cunningham, where a really talented QB is getting good coaching and applying great skill sets and will be very good. Give me Case Keenum for 18-20 mil for 2 years. 

A Rich Gannon-esque ending?

So another aspect to add to this discussion.  When you have a bonafied "Franchise QB" locked up to a LTD, I think what it also does is create a baseline, a feeling of consistency.  For example.  Brees, Rothelisburger, Rodgers, Brady, Manning etc etc.....even when those teams are having "down years" the teams still usually manage to stay in the conversation or "on the cusp" as they say.  That is largely due to the QB being able to elevate the talent around them even when the season isn't going their way.  Russell Wilson & Eli Manning I put below those other guys, because they have done it in small doses.

I think to Cousins favor, ever since 2015, this team has seemed to always at least end up .500 regardless of the circumstances surrounding the team at large.  In 2017, regardless of the play of Cousins, it's hard to have expected this team to be a playoff team with all the injuries. I look at 2016, personally, as the more disappointing season, but that also largely had to due with an awful defense.  2015 was a little bit of a mirage, yes the team was better, but a lot of circumstances had to fall into place to put the 'Skins into position to win the division. 

If you are Cousins and his agent, I think you can go into negotations with the mindset that yes, this season could have turned out better, but considering all the injuries all over the team, and the lack of production at the WR position etc etc....what else was really to be expected as a whole. 

I am not at all one of he 100% pro-Cousins folks, but I also have to acknowledge that Cousins is largely responsible for the team not collapsing completely given the situation.   Could they get the same play out of a veteran free agent QB or young gun on the rise? Perhaps, but once you let a known commodity go, you never know for sure what you are getting in it's place. 

I really hope Dan and Bruce are drafting up an offer that they will present to Cousins in the locker room after the Giants game next week.  Pretty please make him a fair offer and let's lock up the damn QB position for the next 5+ years and get out of this QB carousel we've had here the past 2 decades.

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

We just need to raise holy hell and start a groundswell of league support Over how the Packers incorrectly handled the Rodgers/IR situation and that by rule, he has to be released. Then either 1) we go sign Rodgers or 2) Rodgers on the FA market drives Cousins price down  3) we don’t sign either 

Yeah, I was thinking about posting something about that. We should have had him over a decade ago, we'll take him now. 

(in all seriousness, there's no way he'd consider coming to this disaster franchise)

Broncos corner Chris Harris, Jr., on quarterback Kirk Cousins: "I don't want to say anything right now [about him playing in Denver next season] but he's a ballplayer. He definitely can make some plays and he can make all the throws, but I can't say anything about next year."

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropJohn Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

Von Miller on if he would want Kirk Cousins as the #Broncos QB: “(laughs) I’m with everybody else. Like I said, a lot of teams would kill to have a quarterback like that… We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.”

20 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, I was thinking about posting something about that. We should have had him over a decade ago, we'll take him now. 

(in all seriousness, there's no way he'd consider coming to this disaster franchise)

I honestly don't think he'll leave Green Bay. He knows he's a god there, he'll just get a new max deal. I could even see him taking less money.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Broncos corner Chris Harris, Jr., on quarterback Kirk Cousins: "I don't want to say anything right now [about him playing in Denver next season] but he's a ballplayer. He definitely can make some plays and he can make all the throws, but I can't say anything about next year."

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropJohn Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

Von Miller on if he would want Kirk Cousins as the #Broncos QB: “(laughs) I’m with everybody else. Like I said, a lot of teams would kill to have a quarterback like that… We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.”

...and this was post loss.

Funny and sad to hear Von Miller say that, when Redskins fans were taking a dump on him in the game day thread.

I want to keep Cousins. But if ANY team is paying him 168 million over 6 years it is see you later. He simply isnt worth it. I think you are wrong about the transition tag as well. A 3rd round pick isnt worth letting your franchise QB hit the market without a chance to re sign him. If they cant match an offer, yes they get nothing, but if they dont transition him he is almost definitely gone.

Very possible he plays in Denver

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Funny and sad to hear Von Miller say that, when Redskins fans were taking a dump on him in the game day thread.

Bruce Allen is an idiot and so are many fans

35 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not just fans, our  brain trust at Redskins Park seems to be of that opinion. Our team executives are a joke. 

On 23.12.2017 at 8:44 PM, srtman04 said:

I swear to God, if they let Cousins walk, that will be my tipping point and I will be done with this franchise as long as the owner continues to be Dan Snyder

Thank you for this. Same here. Letting him go would be fraud on the fan base! It would not surprise me though. This awful franchise lost Trent Green too. However, if they lose KC, I will not care about this team anymore. It’s over for me. 

46 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Cousins had a D+ first quarter, but an A 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters. Criticism of him this game is pretty unwarranted. He had some bad throws early (and Doctson's buttery fingers hurt when he was on target), but once Cousins got it together he was great today.

8 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I believe if they put ANY tag on him, he's not going to sign any long term deal.  Why would he when it's 100% chance the annual value won't match what the 1yr value of the tag would be?  KC is not dumb.  If they tag him, no LTD gets done period IMO.

I don't want Kirk to play on a tag. LTD or let him walk. That said, I hope they try to blow his socks off with their opening offer. That's not Allen's style. He likes to win the deal. I say it might just be smart to let Vinny Cerrato back in the building on a one day contract to negotiate with Kirk.

Then again, I'm not sure that Kirk deserves to be the leagues first fifty million dollar a year 300 million dollar man... and that'd probably be Cerrato's lowball offer.

Archived