Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Cassidy, gone too soon at 67

LadySkinsFan

I don't want to come across as a jerk, because of course I'm sorry to hear of his death, but shouldn't we be mourning

more important people than theses air-head celebrities? Shouldn't we be mourning scientists, elected officials,

great professors, ceos, writers, artists -- people who have actually made a worthy contribution to society? As we are seeing

with these slew of recent sexual assault scandals, these celebrities are nothing but a bunch of coked-up, sexually degenerate imbeciles

who make for terrible role models for our children. We should stop treating them like they are the aristocracy in this country.   

10 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

I don't want to come across as a jerk, because of course I'm sorry to hear of his death, but shouldn't we be mourning

more important people than theses air-head celebrities? Shouldn't we be mourning scientists, elected officials,

great professors, ceos, writers, artists -- people who have actually made a worthy contribution to society? As we are seeing

with these slew of recent sexual assault scandals, these celebrities are nothing but a bunch of coked-up, sexually degenerate imbeciles

who make for terrible role models for our children. We should stop treating them like they are the aristocracy in this country.   

Nobody is asking you to drop to your knees crying over his death, but what's wrong with noting the passing of a well known person?

12 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

great professors, ceos, writers, artists -- people who have actually made a worthy contribution to society?

Then start those threads. Those people ought to be honored and celebrated. 

That said, it’s hard to know why or how people were touched by someone. If David Cassady’s death is meaningful to them then it has meaning. 

The Partridge Family was a cultural touchstone. David was my sister’s first crush. I get the reason for this thread. 

57 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

I think most people get the sentiment regardless of how above it they want to come across in their replies to you.  That said, Burgold made the better point... start those threads instead

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

Overflowing with holiday spirit!

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

One post can say a whole lot, sometimes....

In a vacuum, the power of music, and tv shows/movies has always had a huge societal impact on us, and it reminds many of us of significant moment in our lives, moments that we shared with friends, family, etc. Also moments that inspired us, due in part to the way in which these entertainers captivated us.

So forgive some people if they choose to remember someone who passed, that may have meant something to them. 

As for your broad generalization of entertainers overall, and general wtf-ness of then suggesting that we should instead mourn elected officials (I'll just stop there, because holy ****buckets), I think you are going to find an even shorter list of mourn candidates.

Doing something like this is not deifying anyone, or treating them like aristocracy, or anything else ridiculously dramatic as that. Its a simple "Hey, thanks for the memories". 

Many of the people here do not need musicians, tv stars (and sure as hell not politicians and corporate dickfaces) for their kids to look up to, and neither do a lot of other parents that do a solid job of raising their kids. The "Role model" is and has always been wildly overblown.

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

^^^Coked-up degenerate.

I was just hoping to get some pix of Laurie Partridge as part of the thread.  :P 

In the neighborhood I grew up in, you were either a Marcia Brady kid or a Laurie Partridge kid.  Those Marcia Brady dudes were little chumps

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Shut up. You know I'm actually making a valid point. David Cassidy for crying out loud.

did he die less than the important scientists? (that you haven;t mentioned).

my wife's uncle died this week.   He didn't accomplish anything you would've heard of... but he will be missed by the people that remember him nonetheless.  My kids LOVED going to his dairy farm, where he would let them help milk some of the cows, and feed some of the youngest calves.   he was a really kind soul with the heart of a gentleman. 

Celebrity passings are not the same as loved family, but come from a similar place in the mind:  people have shared memories about celebrities/public characters, and what they (celebrities/characters) capture about a certain time in peoples' lives, and it is captured in a way that is shared by many people.   People can be sad by that passing without being crapped all over for doing so.  

(for the record/on the other hand... it might be more productive to start a RIP thread about someone whose life you think warrants respect and admiration, rather than bemoaning the lack of the existence of such threads.    ... people might actually respond ?  who knows?

<<<EDIT>>>  I need to read the whole thread before i respond :P

39 minutes ago, Predicto said:

I was just hoping to get some pix of Laurie Partridge as part of the thread.  :P 

In the neighborhood I grew up in, you were either a Marcia Brady kid or a Laurie Partridge kid.  Those Marcia Brady dudes were little chumps

Laurie Partridge in a rout.

Susan Dey was arguably the most gorgeous woman on television for 20 years.

I kept the Rolling Stone 20th anniversary issue for years. It had a story on Cassidy called "Naked Lunchbox" that was really really good. He seemed very aware very early that his career was not built to last and tried really hard to transition to adulthood. It didn't quite work, which is a shame, because I do think he was more talented than your average teen idol.

56 minutes ago, Predicto said:

13 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Laurie Partridge in a rout.

Susan Dey was arguably the most gorgeous woman on television for 20 years.

0edcf4e2626f80a990418d34ac0e4d17--tv-sta

Those eyes....

That overbite...

That cute turned up nose...

Those perky little... um, shoulders.

Archived