Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Greenburg Set To Host New Morning Show On ESPN In Spring 2018

samy316

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct-mike-greenberg-espn-1113-20171112-story.html

This is the last week of Mike & Mike, and the show will end this coming Friday.  Say what you want about the show or both Mikes, but it was a legendary sports radio show that lasted 18 years, and really jump started sports radio as we know it today.  I'm not sure if this new morning show that Greeny is hosting will work though.  I can't see myself tuning in to watch.  I don't think a Good Morning America rip off is what ESPN needs at this time, but if they want to waste more money, that's their prerogative. 

Golic is going to still host a morning radio show, but with Trey Wingo.  That will be a step down.  By the way, ESPN is reportedly looking to layoff 100+ more people after Thanksgiving, so this new Greenburg show will need to hit the ground running in the ratings department.

8 minutes ago, DM72 said:

The show that really jump started sports radio as we know it was Mike and the Maddog.

Actually, you're right about that.  Mike & The Mad Dog did jumpstart sports talk radio.  I think my main point was that Mike & Mike jump started ESPN Radio.  I think them and Tony Kornheiser (remember, he was in that 10-12 slot before Cowherd) are responsible for the success of ESPN Radio.

7 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Never liked Mike & Mike. I know why they became popular due to the ESPN backing and because they are an uncontroversial show catered to middle America. They are basically TGI Fridays of sports talk radio.

But it was always swag-less radio for me.

Perfect analogy. I listened to them religiously once I started college in '06, then stopped in '08. Just way too corporate and manufactured for me. Always had the best guests, the best producers, etc

They're the only show where the hosts were likable to me.  I cant stand most national radio.  SVP and Rusillo used to be ok, but that was only cuz SVP is a local guy.  Rusillo by himself is obnoxious, Cowherd and Rome as well, Gottlieb, Tiki and Tierney, whatever that garbage is on CBS radio in the morning.  Cant stand any of it.  

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Perfect analogy. I listened to them religiously once I started college in '06, then stopped in '08. Just way too corporate and manufactured for me. Always had the best guests, the best producers, etc

Yeah. They had the most money behind them and two very corporate men.

The best ESPN radio show is Dan LeBatard's show, and ESPN always tries to curtail him but since his money is mostly made away from the network he does what he wants to an extent.

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

They're the only show where the hosts were likable to me.  I cant stand most national radio.  SVP and Rusillo used to be ok, but that was only cuz SVP is a local guy.  Rusillo by himself is obnoxious, Cowherd and Rome as well, Gottlieb, Tiki and Tierney, whatever that garbage is on CBS radio in the morning.  Cant stand any of it.  

LeBatard is probably the only one thats really good, and doesn't belong to the poisonous bro pulpit, or malaise-y fireside chats style like some other older guys

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The best ESPN radio show is Dan LeBatard's show, and ESPN always tries to curtail him but since his money is mostly made away from the network he does what he wants to an extent.

Beat me to it :ols:

Love that guy

Mike and Mike has always been boring, overproduced fake garbage. Listening to Greeny play up the “smart girly man” and Golic play up the “dumb manly jock” was always nauseating. 

They always had the best guests and never asked them anything of substance. It was all fluff and basically every interview was “see how good of friends we are with this person” andnlet that person basically give the equivalent of a post game interview. Nothingness

golic can barely speak without shouting at the top of his lungs and stuttering and blubbering all ove his dumb self. He must wear Velcro shoes, I’d guarantee it 

greeny is so overproduced that he basically teases his next sentence at this point. 

The only show worth a damn on ESPN radio is Dan Lebetard and it is actually fantastic. They have a million hilarious recurring segments they do. They don’t bore you with the standard “sports talk” crap, they actually have fun entertaining interviews and they generally just do what they want without giving a damn. It is wonderful 

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You have got to be kidding me. You know what that guy's last name means in French, don't you? And it's totally appropriate.

I had no idea people still listened to ESPN radio, besides actual games, same with watching it. 

Of course I am just being silly...but it has been terrible for quite a while. 

Mike & Mike...goodbye. It ran it's course...I won't likely tune into either of their respective shows. 

Good luck to both of them. Most of America just wants to get the scores and such...same as the weather. 

Weather channel is another absurd thing. Crazy to me that people watch that stuff in today's world. Key word...watch. 

8 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

You have got to be kidding me. You know what that guy's last name means in French, don't you? And it's totally appropriate.

You ever think about what your username might mean in slang ? 

What about Vinny Del Negro ? 

They have been a good, easy going way to wake up to and drive to work. It's not super heavy, and is bland...just like the way I like my mornings. I much prefer Lebetard and company though. Dan is brilliant. There aren't too many sports radio guys I like to listen to, but Mike and Mike was a non confrontational way to wake up and get to work. 

I enjoy watching Disney struggle with what to do with ESPN (and all the ESPN properties)

They bought them up and ruined them. They ruined something that was so simple yet awesome, it was hard to imagine someone could ruin it.

Now they're bleeding money and want out, and I enjoy it.

I feel bad for the reporters that are losing their jobs, because like most corporate financial crisis it's the hardworking people at the bottom that aren't part of the problem that tend to go first so the people who actually screwed it up can continue cashing huge paychecks for a few more months. But screw Disney

They make awesome kid shows/movies/theme parks though.

On 11/15/2017 at 1:53 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Mike and Mike has always been boring, overproduced fake garbage. Listening to Greeny play up the “smart girly man” and Golic play up the “dumb manly jock” was always nauseating. 

They always had the best guests and never asked them anything of substance. It was all fluff and basically every interview was “see how good of friends we are with this person” andnlet that person basically give the equivalent of a post game interview. Nothingness

golic can barely speak without shouting at the top of his lungs and stuttering and blubbering all ove his dumb self. He must wear Velcro shoes, I’d guarantee it 

greeny is so overproduced that he basically teases his next sentence at this point. 

Agree 100% with this.

The one ESPN national radio show I liked was the Dan Patrick show. But I was never really big on the national shows. Prefer the local stuff.

The best national show in a long time was SVP in my opinion. I'm a homer because he's a Terp. But it doesn't change the fact that his knowledge of everything from Football to Golf to Hoops is impressive. He doesn't need to yell to put anybody down to get his point across. He's a pro.

As far as Mike and Mike....and Greenburg getting his own show. I think they had their moment where the dynamic was good. But they had to compete with personalities like Rome and Cowherd and the goes who were volume over facts. Just because people like me would rather hear a calm interesting discussion or debate on a topic, doesn't mean that most people do.

Archived