Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Eagles Prediction Thread: Who Is For Real?

skins island connection

When: October 23rd Monday night

Where: Lincoln Financial Field

Ah, that age-old question, asked about many a football team and whether or not they are a team on a mission or a team on a streak.

Well, cases could be made on both sides about both teams, if you really wanted to dig into it in depth, but we're not here for that stuff. We want to see a victory over the Eagles, right?

This past Thursday, the Eagles went to Cam Newton's field and beat a pretty good Panther squad 28-23. Carson Wentz is a second year QB who is playing very well, not making mistakes, takes chances, and can scramble like the best of them. Agholor, Jeffery and Smith, his WRs along with a TE Zack Ertz who can be a thorn in the side of any defense, moved the ball rather well against a strong defense in Carolins'a to secure the win. Blount, their RB isn't really lighting up the scoreboard, but can be a solid possession back to secure the ball and chew off time on the clock.

The Eagles defense has been playing inspired football, playing at an up tempo, aggressive pace which pushes o-lines around, with a secondary that is susceptible but still plays aggressive and swarms to the ball. Attacking their secondary is the focal point of opponents, but getting to that level requires a solid o-line who can give a QB time to deliver his passes.

The Redskins come off what many thought would be a hard fought somewhat close game against a 49ers team who is winless thus far in this season, but only losing by 3 points or less in many of their games. Their offense wasn't anything to write home about, but they still had a solid defense. Overall, Gruden and the Redskins ruined the homecoming of a few ex-Redskin players and coaches.

The offense moved the ball fairly well, although at times it did sputter a bit, was still able to generate TDs, and what a show by Thompson. He has a gear that makes everyone else look like they're running through 3 feet of mud, as he can take a screen for a long gain. Cousins looked pretty good, and had times where the offense laxed some, but was still able to generate a nice drive late in the game to give the Redskins a 9 point lead.

Defensively, they are still playing solid football, a much improved group from past teams. Injuries are taking their toll on this side of the ball, The d-line is getting to the QB, creating sacks and turnovers and putting pressure on QBs forcing them to get rid of the ball faster than they want. In the 9ers game, towards the end of the game, they still know how to make fans sweat a little, but mostly from inexperience by back-up players releasing their guys a little faster than they should, but issues like that can be corrected.

Now, this game is huge for a number of reasons. Mainly, a win against them put the Redskins within a game of the NFC East lead, and gives the team a strong injection of confidence going into the 2nd half of the season. A loss however leaves them 3 games back from the division lead, and barring injury to Wentz probably no chance of winning the division. It will most certainly leave the Redskins to think about being a wild card contender if there are plans for post-season play.

This will be the biggest game thus far this year, for both teams. Both sides know the importance of winning this game, although the Eagles would still have the division lead with a loss, momentum could swing to the Redskins. It will be hard fought, chippy, probably a few unsportsmanlike conduce fouls on both sides, but one key to winning this game is patience and not retaliating against an Eagles player, who will certainly look to try and draw a flag whenever they can.

These 2 teams really don't like each other, and past history shows many cases of bitterness between the teams. Both defenses will be tested, numerous times, and the one that can maintain their composure will likely be the winner of this game. Injuries to Redskin defenders hopefully will be healed and players like Norman and Breeland will be ready for this dog fight [ no pun intended ].  60 minutes of physical football will produce 1 winner and 1 loser. Who will it be?

After the dust settles and the feathers come to rest,

my heart tells me

Redskins 27

Eagles    25

my head tells me

Redskins 23

Eagles    24

First correct score prediction wins a new Redskins beanie and a few other trinkets.  Good luck and as always  G O    S K I N S

If Norman and Breeland are out, the Redskins are in major trouble.  I didn't have a good feeling anyway.  I think the Eagles are the team to beat in the NFC.

Plus, Ertz seems to always have good games like most tight ends against us.

Being on the road will hurt us more.  I think the Eagles win this game.

But for guessing/predicting (and sometimes betting) predictions, I can never pick against the Skins.

Redskins: 27

Iggles:  23

This is a real tough one. When you look at health, time to prepare, home field and just how well both teams have played to date it's hard not to give Philadelphia the nod. 

The one area you can say that Washington has an advantage in is 'need'. They just can't lose this game. If they do they will be down 2 games to a division foe, who will also have both division games in hand, so essentially it's a 2.5 game lead.

Skins will have to focus on a short, quick passing attack, much like the Giants did with some success against the Iggles earlier this year. The problem is that somewhat gets you passing on running downs, which will put it all on Kirk, who will probably be living in a collapsing pocket most of the game. I'm also concerned about the matchups not only in the middle (Ertz/Agholor), but if Norman and Breeland are not there Jeffery and Smith will have an advantage. 

For the prediction I'm seeing a loss, 30-17.

This is a GREAT spot for us. Doesn't necessarily mean we will win, but the way the game sets up for us is very, very nice. I really like us on Monday, currently the strongest feeling I've had on any game so far this year. That said, I'm waiting to make a pick until we get some injury news.

The key to this game is not to let Wetnz out of the pocket and hit us with off schedule plays.  This is what hurt us in our first game otherwise we win hands down.  We have way too many players hurt for this one fellas, Allen has a hurt foot, Norman is most likely out, Breeland is most likely out, Evert is probably out and I hope Trend feels better because he was barely walking yesterday.  So with all these guys hurt I just don't see how we beat them.

Now KC will need to have his best game ever against the Eagles and that means our WRs need to catch the ball consistently.  I hope Reed is finally healed up and ready to play because he will need to play a much bigger role than any game so far this year.

Still I think we lose this one.

Redskins 21

Empty trophy studs 31

Too many injuries. No way we can run against them, we can't run against anyone except the Rams. Eagles know it, their D line will dominate our O line again. Its Monday night. We will wear yellow pants. I hear its battery night in Philly. That is a tsunami of suck right there. 42-10 them. ES bandwidth can't handle the meltdown. Kirk haters gloat. Kirk supporters question their own manhood. Next week we win. Kirk haters disappear. Kirk supporters reclaim their manhood. All is good.

Greetings from an Eagles fan.

Eagles have been playing strong, consistent football for four weeks, led mostly by Wentz and the defensive front four.  Pressure will get to Kirk who will try and force passes.  Skins won't be able to run the ball at all. 

The game will be close though... as most NFC East divisional games are.

Eagles 24

Redskins 20

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Philly can't possibly continue to ride high, they are due for a letdown game.  My hope is that it occurs against us.  I don't have the heart to make a prediction until we hear what the injury report looks like later in the week.

I don't see a letdown at home on a Monday Night. 

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

Philly is playing some good ball, it pains me to say. The rat birds have found their wings. We've done very well against them in the last few years though. Still, this game is a tossup.

27-24 - winner TBA

Rat birds :rofl89:

We call you guys the R-words.

1 minute ago, ILikeBilly said:

LBs and DEs learn from week one and take better angles on Wentz.  We get sacks instead of missed tackles and that is the difference in the game, just like it was the difference in the week 1 game (see 1st TD of the game for example.)  Skins 27 eagles 20

I think it's hard to predict based on Week 1 performances, when both teams really don't know what they have.  Both Wentz and Cousins are playing significantly better since then.

Eagles D has really gelled since Week 1 and have an identity... Cousins is going to need to get rid of the ball really quickly to limit the damage.

Archived