Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(NY Times) ESPN Suspends Jemele Hill For Two Weeks

DM72

After the backlash over her Trump comments, she was already on thin ice. 

That said, ESPN is so far in the NFL's back pocket they likely would have suspended her regardless. They suspended Simmons a couple years ago for criticizing Goodell on his podcast. 

They make it well known that they won't put up with any criticism toward the NFL in any form

Then how are some of these other talking heads still on ESPN? 

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

One the one hand, ESPN probably told her to steer clear of controversy for a little bit.  ESPN doesn't want any part of Trump's culture war.  

One the other hand, meh, two weeks off.  

I think perhaps my outrage meter is just exhausted.  

From my own personal experience, when they suspend you for BS reasons, they want you gone. 

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Who else has been that critical of the NFL?

All she did was call for a boycott of one team. 

I can't come up with something off the top of my head, but I watch First Take. Stephen A and crew have been way more over the top than Jemele Hill. 

Jerry Jones is on the war path and discussing boycott messes with his money.  Jemele Hill wasn't wrong, the players can't fix this, not with that sorry excuse they call a union.  Only the fans can pressure the league in a situation like this.  They already have.  Jerry Jones isn't doing this for Trump, at least not entirely, he's doing it because fans were furious and ratings were down.  If there is no opposite reaction and ratings bounce back, Jerry made the right choice for his business.  

ESPN isn't blameless either.  They need more separation between their journalism and broadcasting operations.  The NFL shouldn't be able to flex on them like this, because nothing Jemele Hill said was inaccurate or insulting.  She even specified that she wasn't calling for a boycott, just discussing the issue.

That's a really odd suspension and a wrong-footed one in my opinion. especially if her role has any editorial/commentary aspects to it and most of these talking heads are not reporting facts, but hired to spout opinions and stir the pot.

In my situation, when I ran a newsroom, the suspensions were based on much drier criteria: plagiarism (which was also a fire-able offense), profanity, abuse of guests (though this one had leeway), and egregious error (getting the story wrong/being factually incorrect). You could avoid suspension for some, like if you corrected and apologized for your error or apologized to your guest (on air and directly), but stating an opinion as banal as "if people don't like what X is doing they should consider boycotting X" was not ever under consideration.

As far as commentary goes, that's pretty darn pablum.

It's not hard to figure out. She called for a boycott of any cowboys sponsors. Many of those same sponsors also are sponsors for ESPN. It's the equivalent of biting the hand that feeds you. This coupled with the fact that she was already warned to stay away from anything that might be deemed controversial after the trump tweets it's fairly easy to understand why she got suspended. 

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I need this translated.

The one who posted what you need translated doesn't need to worry, and said disparaging things about her in another thread.

3 minutes ago, twa said:

Ya'll should boycott ESPN.

Years and years ago.  Only MNF gets me, just because it's football.  Never there on any other occasion.

edit, add: college hoops. 

5 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Years and years ago.  Only MNF gets me, just because it's football.  Never there on any other occasion.

edit, add: college hoops. 

I have only watched that network for sporting events...for about 10 years now. 

Their programming and analysts have been mostly garbage ( outside of Hammond and Melrose ). Those two were not enough to make me continue to watch that absurd fodder that they try to feed us. Sensationalized exaggerated sports stories. 

10 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

The one who posted what you need translated doesn't need to worry, and said disparaging things about her in another thread.

I just laughed. 

It's always funny when someone who probably has never done or said a single meaningful thing in their entire life, wants to try and take shots at someone doing the kind of work she does in particular.

money.

You mess with people's money and they start caring more.

You use your position at an NFL partner to suggest boycotting a marquee franchise, this is what happens. Pretty simple.

What surprised me is I didn't think the kneeling was hurting the nfl that badly. We have people saying they won't watch and such, but I didn't think it would translate.

Nfl's been having ratings issues for a few years now, Amazon and twitter wanting to jump into broadcasting rights, ESPN paid a ton of money for mnf (and love to schedule the Cowboys as much as they can) and others paid a ton too... I think there's a lot more going on behind the scenes. 

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I need this translated.

Espn (Disney) dump a ton of Espn talent because they're bleeding subscribers and ratings are down, all after they paid 15 billion in 2011 to run to 2021 for MNF alone. They dumped their beat reporters and journalists for shows where people take scripted sides and yell loudly about it.

Every single one of them is expendable. Talent is not a factor. Eyeballs are all that matters.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

In my situation, when I ran a newsroom, the suspensions were based on much drier criteria: plagiarism (which was also a fire-able offense), profanity, abuse of guests (though this one had leeway), and egregious error (getting the story wrong/being factually incorrect). You could avoid suspension for some, like if you corrected and apologized for your error or apologized to your guest (on air and directly), but stating an opinion as banal as "if people don't like what X is doing they should consider boycotting X" was not ever under consideration.

Espn is not a newsroom. They haven't been for a long time. 

21 minutes ago, twa said:

Climate change.

Not a real thing according to an auto mechanic I know.

Guy's an expert on tons of other stuff too, so you know he'd be right about this.

Just relax and toss a penguin in the smoker.

Archived