Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

9 minutes ago, Destino said:

My first thought isn't something I'm proud of but it's almost always my first reaction to major negative events.  I thought "please don't let the shooter be a Hispanic."  Things are bad enough, we don't need the guy that pardoned Arpaio getting a mass murder to use as justification to round up more Hispanics.  

I think that's a common feeling.  Every minority group in America was probably thinking the same thing, like "please dont be one of us".  

• Like 3

Let me say this.  I moved out here to Vegas in April and never imagined I would ever be around a scene like that ESPECIALLY in Las Vegas.  Me and some friends weren't by the Mandalay, but we were a couple blocks away at the Hard Rock Cafe.  When that guy started spraying off shots, I told my buddies that is a automatic weapon but that **** can't be real.

Im thinking okay....  they must be filming a movie nearby or something, then I saw masses of people running all over the place, some of them bloody with their own blood or someone who was near them that got shot blood.  It was surreal y'all, Im telling you.  I thought at that moment it was some (excuse me for being prejudiced) some guy from the middle east on one of them killing spree holy missions.

Then they said it was some 64 year old white guy.  Im like WTF????  I wonder what Trump thinks about this thug who committed the worst mass shooting terrorist act in the history of our country.....

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I can't imagine how hellish these times will be for the family of the shooter.  As you said, the brother looked as though he was searching for anything to make some kind of meaning out of it.  He's as lost as the rest of the masses

I never really got why the family of the perpetrator always has to explain things to the media.  Investigators, sure.  Some reporter comes to my house looking for comment, they're gonna get some choice words.

4 minutes ago, zskins said:

When was the last time the hotel inspected your luggage? I can see this coming now. 

They certainly have the resources to implement any kind of tech they want.  Privacy issues aside.  They probably have things now that would shock us.

• Like 2

Just now, justice98 said:

I never really got why the family of the perpetrator always has to explain things to the media.  Investigators, sure.  Some reporter comes to my house looking for comment, they're gonna get some choice words.

sad to say, but getting in front of a camera might be the safe play in terms of keeping themselves & the rest of their family safe from anyone who might be thinking about some twisted notion of vegeance 

9 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

This is far from true. 

Its not. People laugh at our horrible health care, ridiculous tax system, and barbaric lack of gun control.

We don't rank #1 in anything except military spending and citizens imprisoned per capita. Oh and gun violence of course.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I've always found that to be rather pointless also. 

There is zero gained insight by hearing the words of the family members of the perpetrator. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zskins said:

When was the last time the hotel inspected your luggage? I can see this coming now. 

I can't see checks being a regular thing. Unfortunately, this hotel was the perfect storm for this type of massacre since it overlooked a large concert venue. Checks at that particular location definitely, but all around no way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Brian Mitchell Truth said:

Let me say this.  I moved out here to Vegas in April and never imagined I would ever be around a scene like that ESPECIALLY in Las Vegas.  Me and some friends weren't by the Mandalay, but we were a couple blocks away at the Hard Rock Cafe.  When that guy started spraying off shots, I told my buddies that is a automatic weapon but that **** can't be real.

Im thinking okay....  they must be filming a movie nearby or something, then I saw masses of people running all over the place, some of them bloody with their own blood or someone who was near them that got shot blood.  It was surreal y'all, Im telling you.  I thought at that moment it was some (excuse me for being prejudiced) some guy from the middle east on one of them killing spree holy missions.

Then they said it was some 64 year old white guy.  Im like WTF????  I wonder what Trump thinks about this thug who committed the worst mass shooting terrorist act in the history of our country.....

i've caught your dumbass/troll act in the stadium and wondered how long it would take to watch you be assisted out and now i have my answer 

• Like 3

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Its not. People laugh at our horrible health care, ridiculous tax system, and barbaric lack of gun control.

We don't rank #1 in anything except military spending and citizens imprisoned per capita. Oh and gun violence of course.

Then why would we have any illegal immigrants at all ?

Rest of the world is an oasis of perfection, no terrorism, no healthcare issues, no corruption, no dictators, no racism, no religious persecution, no crime, no guns to protect themselves from anything. 

Oh, and no poor people of course. 

Your generalization is so over the top, as is most folks perception when they come with the whole 'America is a laughingstock' position.

People would not abandon their families to come to this horrible country. 

And you certainly don't see folks fighting to get back to other countries. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Then why would we have any illegal immigrants at all ?

Rest of the world is an oasis of perfection, no terrorism, no healthcare issues, no corruption, no dictators, no racism, no religious persecution, no crime, no guns to protect themselves from anything. 

Oh, and no poor people of course. 

Your generalization is so over the top, as is most folks perception when they come with the whole 'America is a laughingstock' position.

People would not abandon their families to come to this horrible country. 

And you certainly don't see folks fighting to get back to other countries. 

We aren't the worst country in the world. But we have problems. Significant problems.

And while people do want to immigrate here, youre also seeing lots of people trying to immigrate to European countries like Germany, Sweden, etc. Those places at the moment are much better places to live all things considered.

1 hour ago, Mad Mike said:

It is not difficult at all to own and shoot an automatic weapon in many places. If you have a clean record you go to your gun store, pay them and they will handle all of the paperwork for you. 6 months later that call you back to come pick up your machine gun. And many ranges welcome full auto weapons within the caliber limitations that already have.

It's a bit more complicated than that. For short barrel rifles and suppressors you're correct. However, unless you're a registered dealer, you cannot (legally) buy a machine gun unless it was made in 1986 or prior...period. So the only way you could buy a machine gun is if you found a pre-1986 one online or something, then had them send it to a local dealer who is a licensed FFL. That or if the dealer has pre-ban machine guns in stock. Then you pay the tax, wait for a few months for it to go through and can have the gun.

So if this guy was using any modern (post-1986) rifles and they were indeed automatic then he was either a dealer, got them illegally, or modified them himself illegally. A bump stock is another possibility. I've seen videos of guys who were adept at using a bump stock and they kept up with a person firing a full auto quite well.

• Like 1

It's going to very disturbing to me if the shooter ends up to be just a random dude who wanted to kill people.

Not a sick guy. Not an evil guy. But a decent guy (before this) who just wanted to shoot people and then kill himself.

We always want to make sense out of these shootings. What if there is none to be made?

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

It's going to very disturbing to me if the shooter ends up to be just a random dude who wanted to kill people.

Not a sick guy. Not an evil guy. But a decent guy (before this) who just wanted to shoot people and then kill himself.

We always want to make sense out of these shootings. What if there is none to be made?

You're right. "What if" this is not a product of the current mass shooting culture in America. We'd still have it there as the new normal and this as an outlier. 

323.1M people in the United States. 7.4B people in the world. Seems like today a single person can inflict more damage on others by themselves with a gun or a bomb or something biological, than any other time in the history of mankind. Directions are online. Access to the information and tools are readily available. 

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Nothing is going to change.  I am confident in saying that.  After watching a school full of children get gunned down, and nothing happening, I am confident.  The poor, senseless loss of life.

This is normal in America now.

Absolutely nothing will change. People will send out thoughts and prayers. Politicians will fake empathy for the victims and send out their condolences. Then the NRA will ramp up a new propaganda campaign, and hand over checks to those very same politicians (who are now smiling widely at their bank account balances) and any talk of new legislation or gun control measures will be DOA before it can even be debated in Congress.

Rinse, repeat, reload.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

i wonder who that lovely individual voted for

Abby is probably talking to our next mass shooter. This **** is infuriating. That someone finds those who disagree with them to be worthy of being gunned down. 

Edited by Gamebreaker
  • Sad 1

I also agree with those talking about Puerto Rico in here. They are so ****ed. I'd never say this about any other president, no matter how much I disagreed with his policies, but I honestly believe Trump is happy as a clam right now. This takes all of the attention away from his awful handling of the Puerto Rico disaster and gives him a chance to look good by simply pretending to be a decent human being for a few hours. And that's all he cares about.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1