Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017-2018 NCAA Men's Basketball

PleaseBlitz

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/120474/weekend-lookahead-big-12s-best-can-make-a-case-for-top-league

I made a few minor edits.

If timed just right, viewers will have a chance to squeeze a brief dinner break into the middle of what will otherwise be seven-plus consecutive hours of must-see Big 12 basketball Saturday evening.

The surging league -- with half of its 10 members ranked in the most recent AP poll -- will put its strength on full display this weekend with a pair of ranked matchups preceded by a showcase for No. 18 Texas Tech. The Red Raiders (13-1, 2-0 Big 12) are the most recent school to put the conference on notice that it, too, is a force to be reckoned with in 2018. Texas Tech is one of four one-loss teams in the conference right now, and that list doesn’t include perennial power Kansas.

At the start of the conference season, the Big 12 has made a good argument to be considered the best and most exciting league to watch. It might not have the top-to-bottom depth that others have, but that won’t matter this weekend with the very best it has to offer going head-to-head.

Next on the slate is a top-10 bout with superstar power: No. 7 Oklahoma at No. 6 West Virginia (7:15 p.m. ET, ESPN2/WatchESPN). Watch the country’s best playmaker, Sooners freshman Trae Young, square off with arguably the country’s best backcourt defender, Mountaineers senior Jevon Carter.

In the first two months of his college career, Young has played his best on big stages (in a victory at then-No. 3 Wichita State and, most recently, in a one-point road win over previously unbeaten TCU). Will the soaring rookie eventually come back down to earth for the Sooners (12-1, 2-0)? Carter definitely has the credentials to rein him in for the Mountaineers (13-1, 2-0), but either way, those two should put on a good show.

Yea, UVA has looked good (in terms of winning; their style of basketball does not "look good."  It is like watching a turtle carefully trying to **** a circular saw). 

I think the game goes down to the wire.  Home court helps.  If Teddy Buckets can keep scoring like he has been, that would also help.  Javon is also dealing with a hurt wrist, which is why he's been off the past 2 games.  I think we'll try to wear them down early, then show them the 1-3-1 later.  Hopefully Bender gets zero minutes, he's terrible.  

On 1/5/2018 at 11:58 AM, The Evil Genius said:

Young will get his 20+ but I think WVU wins by 8 at home. WVU has too much depth and length for most teams. That UVA win is looking really good now, huh?

On 1/5/2018 at 12:33 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea, UVA has looked good (in terms of winning; their style of basketball does not "look good."  It is like watching a turtle carefully trying to **** a circular saw). 

I think the game goes down to the wire.  Home court helps.  If Teddy Buckets can keep scoring like he has been, that would also help.  Javon is also dealing with a hurt wrist, which is why he's been off the past 2 games.  I think we'll try to wear them down early, then show them the 1-3-1 later.  Hopefully Bender gets zero minutes, he's terrible.  

I think we both got it about right. Young got his stats, but it was ugly. He showed up expecting a basketball game and got the rock fight that all WVU fans kenew was coming. Javon Carter outplayed him, but the box score will be skewed bc he got in foul trouble (because he actually plays defense).  I freaking love Teddy Buckets. Kid is just like, hey, the ball goes in that hoop. I am very, vey drunk. 

Great freaking win. 

Key stat heading into tonight's WVU v. Baylor matchup:  Baylor ranks 175th in turnover rate, and they’re playing a West Virginia team that ranks No. 2 in defensive turnover rate.  

In the first game last year, Baylor turned it over on almost 40% of their possessions. 

Get ready for seven days that will sort out the Big 12 race

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/120548/seven-days-that-will-sort-out-the-big-12-race

Yes, it's January, and, yes, there's a lot of basketball yet to be played.

Still, the schedule-makers -- and three close games won by home teams on Tuesday night -- have made January unusually crucial in the Big 12 this season. In particular, the next seven days will have a significant impact on the conference race.

Can Kansas extend its streak to an incredible 14 consecutive Big 12 titles? We'll know a lot more than we do now in seven days.

First, consider the team the Jayhawks are already chasing ...

West Virginia can take control of the title race on Saturday ...

The Mountaineers survived a grueling test against Baylor on Tuesday in Morgantown and came away with a 57-54 win. It was a game in which Bob Huggins' team converted just nine of its 36 two-point tries, but again, it was a win.

25% shooting, woof.  Anyways, more at link.  

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Miles, Carter, and Bolden were all practicing/shooting after the game. With Esa Ahmad coming back soon, this team is going to be tough.

I wonder if Konate could dunk on a 12 foot rim? Good Lord are his arms long.

Yea, that was a classic trap game.  Sandwich a mediocre team in between #7 (at the time) and #8 (now).  Eers played like they were looking past Baylor and couldn't take control.  They got lucky that it didn't bite them in the ass.  

And Ahmad should be back now.  He's eligible to play Saturday.  Which is great.  Even rusty, Ahmad is way better than the guys he'll be taking minutes from, Harris (22 mpg, 31% shooter, 6 ppg, dumb turnovers, freshman stuff) and Bender (12 mpg, 2 ppg, zero athleticism, can't catch the ball). 

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Oregon State is triple teaming Ayton in the paint.  Incredible.

Ayton looks like two grown men stuck together.  Dude is a house.

Watching some of this NC State/Clemson game.  I think Clemson made a good move by keeping Brownell around.  This looks like his strongest team to date.  Not sure what they got coming back, but when Zion Williamson shows up on campus next year they will cause some problems.  That kid can really play.

Archived