Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Common Kirk....I just don't know....

Riggo'sRangers

23 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Really? The line was pretty good for him last year and his numbers were average.

I'd be curious to see your definition of 'average', 'cause the numbers I'm looking at (yds, qbr, ypa, etc) all seem to show he performed well above average last year.  

TD% is the one stat I see him ranked exactly average - 16th.   

This game absolutely sucked though.  He failed his receivers, his receivers let him down, the line had trouble letting him get comfortable, and the run game took 0 pressure off of him.  

Been saying all along that that he seems a bit calmer in the hurry up and that it might be a good way to start the game for him... and lo' and behold, Gruden says once they sped things up, he settled down a bit.  Start in the hurry up Grudes!  Not like your D needs rest when you're starting with the ball!

Anyway, @ConnSKINS26 summed up up my feelings to a T.  

I have been one of Kirk's strongest supporters the last few years.  In fact, I advocated that we bench RG3 in favor of Cousins, which is what ended up happening.  

However, one has to wonder if Kirk's strong play last year and the year before were due to our receivers.  There are some analysts out there who rank him in the 20's. Maybe they have a point.  If he can't elevate the team, then there is no point in keeping him, sorry to say.  I rather see a strong team in other positions.  You can win like that.  One has to wonder how much of a difference Colt McCoy as the QB would make.  I am frankly not sure.  

24 million + is too much for a starting QB who does not elevate the team.  His game looks to have regressed this year, based on not this game alone, but also the preseason. There was a reason to be concerned.  

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I'd be curious to see your definition of 'average', 'cause the numbers I'm looking at (yds, qbs, ypa, etc) all seem to show he performed well above average last year.  

TD% is the one stat I see him ranked exactly average - 16th.   

This game absolutely sucked though.  He failed his receivers, his receivers let him down, the line had trouble letting him get comfortable, and the run game took 0 pressure off of him.  

Been saying all along that that he seems a bit calmer in the hurry up and that it might be a good way to start the game for him... and lo' and behold, Gruden says once they sped things up, he settled down a bit.  Start in the hurry up Grudes!  Not like your D needs rest when you're starting with the ball!

Anyway, @ConnSKINS26 summed up up my feelings to a T.  

The problem is that all those yards don't mean jack **** if we're settling for Field Goals instead of TD's. If we can't score, and can't win those stats are pointless 

2 minutes ago, zoony said:

He is Joe Flacco.  He is going to need a great team around him to win.  We should all have 100 percent faith that danny boy will build that.

Unlike Flacco, I don't see Cousins getting hot in the playoffs and beating good teams. 

1 minute ago, alwaysaskin said:

The problem is that all those yards don't mean jack **** if we're settling for Field Goals instead of TD's. If we can't score, and can't win those stats are pointless 

Oh, I totally agree... was just retorting to  the 'average numbers last year' bit.  

I'm still gonna hold out some hope that our additions can help him in the RZ... but this game certainly didn't reassure me.  

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Underlined the most important part.

So if Cousins has a top 5 D that creates a ton of turnovers and the team manages to win a SB despite his non Elite play he's worth top QB money but since he doesn't have that he should sign for 1/2 that? :kickcan:

It seems that a lot of Ravens fans are upset about Flaccos contract ever since he signed it.

27 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

What about Crowder muffing that punt?...3rd year in the league returning punts and the guy jumps in the air to catch a punt. WTF, man lol...

It's like all the skill players except for Thompson just forgot fundamentals today.

Shouldn't happen either. Crowder's worst game as a pro... disturbing pattern from Cousins. That's the difference for me.

12 minutes ago, alwaysaskin said:

Exactly! He was 31st in the red zone last season for a reason. Having a poor TD% and being awful in the red zone makes you a bad QB. I dont even really care what the rest of the stats say.

6 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

So if Cousins has a top 5 D that creates a ton of turnovers and the team manages to win a SB despite his non Elite play he's worth top QB money but since he doesn't have that he should sign for 1/2 that? :kickcan:

It seems that a lot of Ravens fans are upset about Flaccos contract ever since he signed it.

You haven't voiced any disagreement with Cousins playing like Flacco. So are you saying we should pay Cousins top QB money BEFORE a Super Bowl win even though Flacco isn't worth it anyway? I'm lost here.

5 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

I have been one of Kirk's strongest supporters the last few years.  In fact, I advocated that we bench RG3 in favor of Cousins, which is what ended up happening.  

However, one has to wonder if Kirk's strong play last year and the year before were due to our receivers.  There are some analysts out there who rank him in the 20's. Maybe they have a point.  If he can't elevate the team, then there is no point in keeping him, sorry to say.  I rather see a strong team in other positions.  You can win like that.  One has to wonder how much of a difference Colt McCoy as the QB would make.  I am frankly not sure.  

24 million + is too much for a starting QB who does not elevate the team.  His game looks to have regressed this year, based on not this game alone, but also the preseason. There was a reason to be concerned.  

This does ring true IMO.

WRs are the driving force; they can make an average QB look good, a good QB look great, or a poor QB look average.

Doctson isn't NFL WR material. He either has the flu, or some unknown illness or ailment, or some other injury; when he's NOT hurt and playing, he's a ghost, and not even a distraction to defenses. Crowder is a pretty good WR; maybe it was 1st game jitters, I dunno, but I'm confident he'll pick it up. Pryor, more of a work-in-progress guy. Yea he made some big plays in Cleveland, but it was only flashes here and there, nothing consistent.

But all of this is for nothing if Cousins isn't seeing the field. From what I've read he was missing guys left and right, not seeing wide open guys, making fundamental mistakes. This is on Gruden. He should have had him fired up ready to go, but Gruden is too focused on what to call next to be emotionally invested in the game; like he has most of the game scripted. 'ok, if this happens, I will call this', instead of seeing what the flow of the game is, how players are reacting, picking out the weaknesses. Honestly, I'm starting to sour on Gruden and the entire FO staff, from coaching to scouts to management; they all seem to be there for a paycheck.

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

You haven't voiced any disagreement with Cousins playing like Flacco. So are you saying we should pay Cousins top QB money BEFORE a Super Bowl win even though Flacco isn't worth it anyway? I'm lost here.

No it was my opinion back in 2015, when he was given the starter job and playing pretty good but not great, that they should have signed him to whatever they could have then or during the season, which would have been cheap, but they didn't. Everything since then is on the boneheads who can't decide one way or the other.

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

No it was my opinion back in 2015, when he was given the starter job and playing pretty good but not great, that they should have signed him to whatever they could have then or during the season, which would have been cheap, but they didn't. Everything since them is on the boneheads who can't decide one way or the other.

Right, but 2015 is two years ago now. The question is, what do we pay him now? Another franchise tag? The top QB money he expects? Roll the dice and let him walk?

For today, he played in a way that makes rolling the dice a bit more palatable. If he plays on the same track as last season, I don't see it changing.

12 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

No it was my opinion back in 2015, when he was given the starter job and playing pretty good but not great, that they should have signed him to whatever they could have then or during the season, which would have been cheap, but they didn't. Everything since then is on the boneheads who can't decide one way or the other.

They tried that November, Cousins and his agent said they didn't want to negotiate anything until after the season.

This thread is hilarious.  DJax and Garçon made him look good?  Guess that Garcon magic doesn't work in San Fran.  

Pressure beats QBs.  That simple.  Eagles got to our QB too often and too quickly, and the result was that he had an awful game.  No need to over think it. 

Archived