Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

I'm going to start with defense because I'm a game half full kind of guy.

Pressure: The front seven generated good pressure and got home a couple of times. They also whiffed at really bad plays which led to enormous plays by Wentz. Overall though, we were pretty good at making Wentz feel heat.

Coverage: Some very nice pass breakups, one nice pick seven off a tip, and great coverage on screens. There were also lapses, but overall, they did their job pretty well. 

Run defense: Much better than I expected. We weren't gashed for any huge runs and held our own pretty damn well.

Play calling: I think our play calling was solid. It seemed like there was decent communication. There were a few lapses and uncovered guys which may be a scheme thing or a player screw up, but they forced some punts, survived some pretty awful field position, and generated some turnovers.

Overall: I'll give the D a B-

Offense

Passing: So many missed plays. Some of it was due to drops, but three were so many guys open, especially on the bombs that Kirk missed and missed badly.  Pass blocking and passing was terrible. Our best receiver today might have been Ryan Grant.

Rushing: I think Kelley did what he does which is to break a tackle and get you 2-5 yards. Kirk made some nice plays with his legs, but probably a few too many.

Play calling: Adequate. What can you do if your quarterback keeps missing. Gruden did try to switch up to more runs (which was kind of working) before he stopped. He should have tried more quick throws. The flare pass to Pryor seemed pretty open. What happened to our hot routes? With so many max blitzes there ought to be receivers uncovered or open quick.

Overall: I'd give the O a D+

In general, the Redskins kind of exceeded my expectations. They were in this game despite their awfulness which made the interception that took away a field goal that should have given us a 1 point lead so frustrating and the egregious bad ref call so frustrating. I love complaining about the refs, but the refs were for the most part a non factor in this game. If anything they may have wound up helping us a couple of times, but that incompletion/fumble call was horrendous.

I give the entire team, coaches and FO an official grade of "S" for "Suck."

defense impressed me more than I thought it would.  Brown is a big help, Bree played well, and there weren't any huge break downs apart from the TD where Wentz escaped from 4 guy's.

but without pressure from the front 4, you're stuck in neutral defensively.

offense was just suck all the way around.  I put 100% of the blame on Gruden for not replacing McVay with a legitimate OC to handle and run the offense, choosing instead to do a patch job of Callahan installing run, him and Cavanagh doing pass, Cavanaugh as the "OC" but Gruden as play caller. That's a dumb plan.  Made worse by not at least replacing the QB coach.

Gruden is also responsible for falling in love with try-hard, low talent guy's like Grant.  You cannot win with Grant on the field for meaningful minutes.  He doesn't get that.

and finally a pit all of the crappy personnel decisions at Allens feet.  Because he's allowing Gruden to make crappy decisions on personnel. 

I just can't get my head around how awful Cousins and the OL looked, at home, no less. Cousins does not handle pressure well, unlike most elite QBs, so the struggle of one inevitably leads to the failure of the other. The book is out on how to stop Cousins. 

The thing about the defense is to me it definitely looks like a unit in transition. They are adding talent, which is evident in the play making you see out there on the field, however there are still enough holes, especially when it comes to coverage, that it is hard to get too excited yet, but in the big picture, the defense is going in the right direction.

The offense? What can I say, another opening day, another game of them looking like they are unprepared, not sharp, not crisp, etc etc.....I understand that for a quarter, but it just keeps up.  Wentz looked a bit rusty too, but when it came to the plays he need to make he mostly found ways to make them. Cousins on the other hand air-mailed way too many throws to wide open guys that should have been easy completions.  Cousins still seems to have the nasty habit of choosing who the ball goes to presnap and sticking to it regardless of what happens after the ball is snapped. I implore everyone to go back and look at the redzone pass to Pryor that was incomplete.  If you freeze the shot, Ryan Grant is standing on the other side of the endzone wide open, no defender even in the area.

The INT in the redzone was inexcusable.  Jay Gruden called the perfect play to counter the Eagles pressure.  Crowder was wide open, he either walks into the endzone or it's 1st & Goal on the 1 yard line.  Cousins feels the pressure and throws it off the back foot...........UGH.

A competent QB performance and this might be a win. Oline wasn't great but I wasn't expecting great against that monsterous front. Run blocking wise though, they ****ing sucked. Feel bad for Robert Kelley

Pryor isn't a good receiver. That's a huge red flag with Doctson apparently in the dog house.

Defense looked average, which was a pleasant surprise

But yeah, I'm ****ing sick of Kirk putting us in holes nearly by himself every September. He was ****ing steaming trash. Even without the INT. The pressure was there but NFL Qbs have to handle it 

Generous with the O assessment, but I agree with your D assessment. 

Now, Special Teams:

Crowder, what are you doing man? 

And was that Thompson that brought it out on KOR? I can't recall. 

Overall, sloppy, but that's actually more of what you tend to expect week 1. I'd give it a C-

Gruden, imo, didn't try to establish a rhythm for Cousins early in the game. Quick throws for 5 yard completions builds his confidence. Going 1-5 with a near pick-6 and getting pressure in his face from almost the first pass attempt does not.

After the 2015 season, some article came out that showed Cousins' production taking a serious hit when he's pressured. While every QB's production gets worse under pressure, Kirk's fell off a ****ing cliff. I think we're still seeing that now.

Pryor is far more raw than I had hoped or imagined. He better get that **** improved pronto. Kerrigan had better hands today. I don't even think Doctson was targeted once.

Run game blows for a multitude of reasons, including not punishing defenses for stacking the box. Gruden may have tried getting the DLinemen running sideline to sideline with those pitches, maybe to help wear them out some (that's something Gibbs has done in the past). Gotta do more, though.

Pass rush was pretty decent...Wentz is/was a slippery mf'er, though. Brown, Bree and Fuller shined. Norman, too, as usual.

I called for it all off-season, when you know your line struggles to run block you need a RB that can create on his own. Kelley is not the guy. Cousins was inaccurate but for the 3rd season in a row he has no rushing attack so it's all or nothing with Kirk and the offense. If he struggles, we lose he has to play lights out for us to win which is an impossible situation. However, if he wants to be the highest paid QB in the league he needs to be mediocre 2-3 times a year at most. Air mailing Crowder with the game on the line because you have happy feet is Mickey Mouse horse**** quarterbacking.

Wentz made some nice plays... going to hate to face him 2x each year.

D was ok. Liked Bree and line was aggressive... needed to finish allot of tackles and get off the damn field on 3rd (broken record there).

Cousins- did God tell him to suck? If he did, KC followed the advice of the good lord to a "T." 

Credit him for making some plays here and there but 10 lousy points????? 

O line is bad. The whole offense just doesn't look good.

Receivers - mediocre group at best. They let go two top tier guys for this? Nice move Brucie.

Bmitch nailed it on the post game show. The coach, though likeable and a nice system doesn't show any intensity and it reflects in the whole offense. Manusky is  fired up and the D reflected. 

Overall prediction:

Dr will have to double my BP meds again for the fall.

HTTR

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Pryor is far more raw than I had hoped or imagined. He better get that **** improved pronto. Kerrigan had better hands today. I don't even think Doctson was targeted once.

Pryor looks like he could be the new Rod Gardner 50/50.  People forget Gardner did manage to have a 1000 yard season but it was mostly because he was the only viable target on the team so he was fed the ball constantly.

I still at this point would say Pryor's upside is worth the risk, he was getting open the entire game, on almost any route he was asked to run. Some times there were bad passes, other times Pryor should have caught a pass.

10 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Cousins still seems to have the nasty habit of choosing who the ball goes to presnap and sticking to it regardless of what happens after the ball is snapped. I implore everyone to go back and look at the redzone pass to Pryor that was incomplete.  If you freeze the shot, Ryan Grant is standing on the other side of the endzone wide open, no defender even in the area.

I saw that too.  I was screaming at the tv how wide open Grant looked.  Anyone at the game see a defender on Ryan? I would appreciate knowing if Kirk missed a wide open td or did the defender just head towards the Pryor catch.

The good:  who am I kidding?  The closest to good would have to be the defense being there and making some plays to keep the team in it.

The bad:  The same defense I snuck into the good also looked pathetic in 3rd and long again.  Poor tackling as well.  

The offensive line was pretty bad and never allowed their shaky QB to feel any level of comfort.

Pass catchers.  Pryors drops.  Doctson on a milk carton.  Reeds toe appears to be affecting him because he's a crucial step slower than usual.

The atrocious:  Kirk.  The only thing he did well was run the ball and led the team in rushing.

The run game or lack thereof.

Archived