Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Apke is an interesting pick. Unfortunately there really don't seem to be any full game cutups of him that I could find so just going on his highlights (which can be very misleading) he obviously has poor tackling form; he seems to go in with a full head of steam and go for a kill shot with his head down every time instead of making a solid form tackle. He does seem to have decent instincts, especially in the run game as he appeared able to sniff stuff out pretty well. Coverage instincts seem to be mediocre but he has the recovery speed to make up for it. If he can improve his coverage awareness and ability to read defenses he could be pretty good with his ridiculous athleticism. As a converted WR with only a couple years playing Safety I'm not super surprised by that. I also figure that he tended to rely on his speed to make plays in coverage as opposed to truly learning to diagnose defenses and plays...sort of like a freak WR who relied completely on his speed and jumping ability in college and basically disregarded good route running because....well.....it worked. 

Like @stevemcqueen1said, it basically all depends on how well he takes to coaching and how quickly he can absorb things. Hopefully it's fast because he certainly has potential but as of now is a pure project.

We had one absolutely surefire multi year All-Pro player. His life was tragically cut short before that fully manifested.

I think Trent has been worthy of the distinction, but I guess has only ever been 2nd team? Seems like an error or an oversight.

I like the last few drafts though. Hopefully this trend will reverse over the next few years.

He's only counting AP All-Pros I guess.  Sporting News and Pro-football Writers of America have been doing All-Pro teams for a long time too.  Also excluding second team All-Pros is an arbitrary cut off.  All-Pro is All-Pro.  Trent is a three time All-Pro.  Sean Taylor was an All-Pro in 2007.  LaVar was second team three times.

Also, setting the cut off date at 2000 also cut off Champ Bailey, who made seven teams.

17 hours ago, mistertim said:

Unfortunately there really don't seem to be any full game cutups of him that I could find so just going on his highlights (which can be very misleading)

You have to watch Marcus Allen cut ups to see him.  Not the best because they could be leaving out plays that Apke made, but you can at least see him play, especially in coverage.

The All Pro stuff plays into Cooley's overriding point about the team -- a lot of B level guys, not much in the A department and they need more guys like that.

We don't really land the Beckham types, Landon Collins in the draft or FA.   Though we are good at finding good players of late in the draft.    I got some hope that Jonathan Allen from last year and maybe Guice this time changes this dynamic as for great players.  Some say Nicholson has that potential, will see.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The All Pro stuff plays into Cooley's overriding point about the team -- a lot of B level guys, not much in the A department and they need more guys like that.

We don't really land the Beckham types, Landon Collins in the draft or FA.   Though we are good at finding good players of late in the draft.    I got some hope that Jonathan Allen from last year and maybe Guice this time changes this dynamic as for great players.  Some say Nicholson has that potential, will see.

I think that has been the general fan opinion durning the hole pre-draft periode. We have a bunch of good players but miss that superstar player. That instant game changer, the playmaker. Players that make a play when it's one yard to the goal line and 1 second left to play. 

Sure a good team get you far but you need two or three breath taking plays every game to win it. How many games did we lost last season because of the other team doing that. We played a lot of close games (both Eagles games!) but then lost because the other team had a player that made crazy play. We just miss does really clutch players.  

To be honest. I don't think last draft helped us with that. Payne his National Championschip game was crazy, but outside of that he never showed that kind of abilitie. Guice could be that kind of player but I really need to see him work in this O against NFL D's. The others to me feel like does perfect B type of players. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Allen and Guice have the potential to be All Pro guys. Of course, politics play into any selection and I'm sure that Barkley and Elliiot will get much more love regardless of productivity or what they mean for their team.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think Allen and Guice have the potential to be All Pro guys. Of course, politics play into any selection and I'm sure that Barkley and Elliiot will get much more love regardless of productivity or what they mean for their team.

and rightfully so.. both are top 5 picks and 3 down RBs.. while Guice is a late 2nd pick that is projected to be a 2 down thumper... at least initially 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Geez, its one of thing with the national draft geeks all in just about on the Redskins picking top 10.  Now we even got the one local guy who does mocks, Ben Standig with his first 2019 mock, Redskins pick #8.   https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/2019-nfl-mock-draft-way-too-early-edition#slide-11

I hope that awful draft is true and we can land Raek at 18. Somehow I doubt 4 Clemson lineman go before him. 

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I hope that awful draft is true and we can land Raek at 18. Somehow I doubt 4 Clemson lineman go before him. 

Off of that point, Standig isn't the only one sold on multiple lineman on Clemson.  Some thought Ferrell and Wilkins would enter this years draft.  But with them coming back coupled with what they already had -- Clemson could have one sick defense. 

As for Alabama, their stacked position with draft potential seems to be LB as to the 2019 draft: Jennings, Miller, Wilson.  R. Davis agree is intriguing on the D line considering he can get to the QB.   Davis is all over the first round in early mocks, I've seen him top 5 two -- so he should be an interesting watch. 

I recall the ESPN inside article quoting personnel guys about other teams drafts where one guy said they should have taken Edmonds.  Their point is with Barkley in particular, you need a side line to sideline speed guy monster type.   Barkley from what I've observed isn't so much a run downhill guy but an outside zone, get around the edges type.  Hopefully Zach's that guy to deal with it.  Otherwise I will have my eye on speedy linebacker types.  I haven't studied the Alabama guys as to their fit in that regard.  But looking forward, MLB, might be a need.  Maybe Shaun Dion Hamilton develops but I don't think he's ultra fast. 

SDH is definitely that guy if he recovers his speed and stays healthy. I really hope that bully in the middle is the main thing in our crosshairs. I've been back and forth between that and FS for at least 4 years @Skinsinparadise. I've been more than happy with our last 2 first rounders, obviously. With the way our scouts seem to be hitting on late round secondary and mid round oline picks, I really hope we continue to attack positionally bpa and focus on the front 7,which is beginning to look ferocious. 

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

SDH is definitely that guy if he recovers his speed and stays healthy. I really hope that bully in the middle is the main thing in our crosshairs. I've been back and forth between that and FS for at least 4 years @Skinsinparadise. I've been more than happy with our last 2 first rounders, obviously. With the way our scouts seem to be hitting on late round secondary and mid round oline picks, I really hope we continue to attack positionally bpa and focus on the front 7,which is beginning to look ferocious. 

I was thinking about this.  To me the two injury prone guys, Nicholson and Reed might be the key to the season.  With Nicholson as for being injury prone its a short sample but he was banged up in college too.  When he's in the lineup, he's almost always playing deep middle and allows Swearinger to play strong.  That seems to be the best combo.   And obviously Jordan Reed is the one weapon on offense that defenses really fear.  I like some of the other guys at receiver but I don't think they are game breakers at least not yet.

The other wild card is Guice.  As much as your man crush on Payne (which I don't share though i like him), mine is equal as to Guice.  If Guice is who I think he is and Callahan can scheme up a running game -- that could be a make or break game changer.

If Reed and Nicholson miss a lot of games and the running game struggles.  I don't think its crazy to see this as another 8-8 kind of year.  On the other hand if those guys are healthy and or Guice/running game thrives it could be 10-6-11-5.

I don't get all the pessimism from the draft geeks, Vegas odds makers, power rankers about the team -- judging by them, we will be somewhere in the 5-11/6-10 range.   

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't get all the pessimism from the draft geeks, Vegas odds makers, power rankers about the team -- judging by them, we will be somewhere in the 5-11/6-10 range.   

Look who we lost. 

QB - nationally viewed as a minor downgrade

WR - Added Richardson, still no true no. 1

CB - Lost Bree and Fuller

The rest of the team remains essentially intact other than our draft class which are unknowns.  We feel good about them, but won't truly know anything until October.  

That said, Vegas is going to put a line out there that they can get the most bets on.  I would assume they view the Redskins as 7 - 8 win team, so the line comes out low in order to push betters to put money on the over.  The line then goes up and more people are pushed to take the under.  Vegas is in the market to make money... not predict football records.  That said, they generally are very educated, but they want people to bet... not be right.  

@Skinsinparadise always gotta take the crack at my crush on Payne. :D

I didn't get to see much of last season (thanks Irmaria) so I don't know about Nicholson, but I've been screaming about FS for years. 

I've also been on the anti Reed bandwagon for years and TE is the one position I've wanted on offense for years. 

So,  we're in agreement. Except about Payne :D

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was thinking about this.  To me the two injury prone guys, Nicholson and Reed might be the key to the season.  With Nicholson as for being injury prone its a short sample but he was banged up in college too.  When he's in the lineup, he's almost always playing deep middle and allows Swearinger to play strong.  That seems to be the best combo.   And obviously Jordan Reed is the one weapon on offense that defenses really fear.  I like some of the other guys at receiver but I don't think they are game breakers at least not yet.

It's interesting.  I've been rewatching the games from the beginning of the season when we were almost fully healthy and Nicholson was playing.  And, oddly enough, the only time I can remember seeing a team test us deep was when we were in a Cover 2 man look (where teams generally avoid throwing deep), and Wentz completed a deep ball to Mack Hollins on Swearinger's side of the field for a TD.  It seems like after Nicholson's performance against Oakland, teams were unwilling to throw deep when Nicholson was patrolling the back end.  On top of that, I never saw Montae blow an assignment or fail to make a tackle against the run.  If he can stay healthy, the sky is the limit for this defense.

Regarding Nicholson, he might be the one guy that we really need to stay healthy as we have pretty decent/potential depth at the other defensive positions.  I’m not writing off Smithson yet though.  

Really looking forward to seeing this D in action.  Especially intrigued by:

How we play vs the run - our OLBs are pretty solid edge setters, we have some run stuffing dlinemen (Allen, Payne and McGee), and we have good ILBs with Swearinger playing alongside them.  

Who plays slot corner (and how they fare) - I’m guessing Holsey for now.  We’ve had an issue with position for a while now (aside from last year), so if we can not have too big a dropoff from how Fuller played last year, that would be huge big help.  

How we match up on TEs - he might only be a role player, but I think JHC fits almost perfectly here.  Excellent tackler, and he’s 6’4 with 35” arms (holy crap!)... which should limit throwing windows and YAC.  Not sure how we’ll matchup vs TEs when he’s not in the game though (and I’m not sure how he’ll do in man coverage, though he has pretty fluid hips).  

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I've also been on the anti Reed bandwagon for years and TE is the one position I've wanted on offense for years. 

Reed is a beast when he's healthy.  But its gotten absurd as for the injuries.  To me this is the last stand for Reed -- if we go on this rodeo again, I'd cut bait and release him.  Heck if I were him and I have another year where I am in and out of the lineup, I'd retire.  Yeah I recall your OJ Howard man crush the draft season before. :)

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reed is a beast when he's healthy.  But its gotten absurd as for the injuries.  To me this is the last stand for Reed -- if we go on this rodeo again, I'd cut bait and release him.  Heck if I were him and I have another year where I am in and out of the lineup, I'd retire.  Yeah I recall your OJ Howard man crush the draft season before. :)

As of now, I’m hoping he stays healthy this year and then we trade him - hopefully for a mid rounder, though I’m not sure another team wiould make that trade.  

Its going to be interesting to see how some of our guys pan out, whether we extend Scherff, Crowder and Smith, and how that affects next year’s draft.  

Interior oline, corner, TE and OLB are the top needs I see as of now, but receiver, S, and QB could be prioritized too.  

17 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

As of now, I’m hoping he stays healthy this year and then we trade him - hopefully for a mid rounder, though I’m not sure another team wiould make that trade.  

Its going to be interesting to see how some of our guys pan out, whether we extend Scherff, Crowder and Smith, and how that affects next year’s draft.  

Interior oline, corner, TE and OLB are the top needs I see as of now, but receiver, S, and QB could be prioritized too.  

I wonder how much career Vernon Davis has left in him. If he has 2-3 seasons of above-average production, I agree with you that we trade Reed and then prioritize TE in next years draft. He's awesome when healthy but he's almost never healthy.

Archived