Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

I'll be watching Alabama's duel DTs this Saturday. Notwithstanding, Payne's recent DUI.

http://gridironnow.com/nfl-analyst-likes-alabamas-block-of-granite-daron-payne-dashawn-hand/

An NFL draft analyst thinks highly of both Alabama’s Da’Ron Payne and Da’Shawn Hand.

NFL Media’s Lance Zierlein ranks both Payne and Hand in his top 11 college football defensive linemen to watch in 2017.

Payne ranks No. 3 and Hand ranks No. 7 on his list.

Zierlein writes that Payne “proved more than capable” of taking over for the departed A’Shawn Robinson last season.

“Payne is a block of granite with great lean muscle mass as well as exceptional body control and contact balance,” Zierlein writes. “He is an elite run-stuffer with heavy hands and is only on the ground when he’s finishing a tackle. His textbook approach to handling double teams is classic Crimson Tide and he should be an easy fit in a nose spot for either 3-4 or 4-3 teams on the next level.

“He’s not a total stiff as a pass rusher, but he still needs to improve in that area.”

Payne played in all 15 games for Alabama last season as a sophomore. He had 36 tackles (3.5 for a loss), 1.5 sacks and one fumble recovery.

Hand, a former No. 1 overall recruit, did not play as much as expected last season behind Jonathan Allen and Dalvin Tomlinson, though that’s expected to change as a likely starter this fall as a senior.

“… Hand is in a position where he should see plenty of playing time,” Zierlein writes. “He needs to produce against both the run and the pass so that teams view him as an every-snap talent and not just a physical specimen. Hand is long with good core strength and some flashy potential at the point of attack as a run defender. He should be an NFL consideration for both 4-3 and 3-4 teams at the defensive end spot with an ability to rush from the inside.”

In three seasons at Alabama, Hand has 44 tackles, including 11 for a loss and six sacks.

The other D lineman I'll watch closely in the Florida State-Alabama game, Derrick Nnadi.  His rep is he's stout against the run and also brings push in the pass rush.  Seems to be thought of as a late first rounder by some right now.   Derwin James, I am guessing is a top 10 pick right now and hopefully out of our range because we wouldn't be picking that high.

Gesicki made it look easy on that touchdown.  The size really stands out.  Huge firing out of his stance in the slot.  Safeties can't match up 1 on 1.

Barkley is electric.  Only a few touches in the game so far, but he makes the most of each one.  So shifty and patient.  Already hurdled two tacklers so far.

Ty Johnson.  Runs a bit upright but has sort of a Dalvin Cook style explosiveness.  At this rate he probably gets to 100 yards or close by the half.

I'll give Randy Edsall credit.. Raved about Ty Johnson.. Kept telling me #Terps need more guys like him.. He's a big play waiting to happen

Archived