Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update: RIP John McCain

TheGreatBuzz

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I hope there's truth to rumor he wants Obama to give his eulogy.  I remember him defending Obama while campaigning against him, has my respect.  RIP

Bush and Obama are rumored to have been asked to give the eulogy.  His 2 political rivals.

Since my friend's husband has the same thing, contacted her this evening to see how her husband was doing.

Statement from former President Barak Obama:

"John McCain and I were members of different generations, came from completely different backgrounds, and competed at the highest level of politics. But we shared, for all our differences, a fidelity to something higher - the ideals for which generations of Americans and immigrants alike have fought, marched, and sacrificed. We saw our political battles, even, as a privilege, something noble, an opportunity to serve as stewards of those high ideals at home, and to advance them around the world. We saw this country as a place where anything is possible - and citizenship as our patriotic obligation to ensure it forever remains that way.

"Few of us have been tested the way John once was, or required to show the kind of courage that he did. But all of us can aspire to the courage to put the greater good above our own. At John's best, he showed us what that means. And for that, we are all in his debt. Michelle and I send our heartfelt condolences to Cindy and their family." 

A good man, an honorable public servant, and hero. I've had plenty of disagreements with his policy decisions and beliefs but I always had tons of respect for him. That was more true than ever after he became one of the lone dissenting congressional R voices against Trump. 

RIP, Senator McCain. You will be missed.

I really can't think of anyone in my lifetime who better represented America. and it's ideals. He suffered and sacrificed greatly for them, and fought for his view of what they meant  to him until the end. A true living, breathing hero, of the likes we may never see again. I am truly sad.. 

While I certainly didn't agree with some of his policies, there's no doubt he stuck to his convictions and always did what he thought was right. In an era of toxic, selfish politicking, he stood above it. He was a genuine American. 

RIP Senator. Thank you for your service. 

I hope he passed without pain and in peace. It seems he and his family knew his time was over. He passed so quickly once they cut the treatment off. He was the candidate I liked best in 2000. I was angry with him when he backslid and compromised his position on torture during the Bush years. He wasn't perfect, but sometimes he was a voice of reason and very often I think he tried.

I can't think about the death of John McCain without nearly crying.  Perhaps I'm over-emotional.

I graduated high school in 2000.  In my junior and senior year I was very politically "aware".  I took AP Government because I was interested in US government and all of its workings.  In my formative years, there was nobody I held in a higher regard than John McCain.  As a young adult, my views skewed conservative and McCain represented the level headed, even keeled conservative that I tried to embody.  McCain would compromise, something of a political nuance that has been lost in today's spectrum.  It was my hope that McCain would make the presidential ticket in 2000 and go on to be president.  Sadly, Bush's spin machine caused his downfall and Bush went on to run the country and challenge my political leanings (but that's the subject of a different story).

Through my college years and 20's my beliefs changed.  While I still idolized McCain, I couldn't bring myself to vote for him (and that nut job Palin) in 2008.  Barack Obama shared many of the characteristics that I admired in McCain and was speaking in a tone that I truly believed.  So Obama solidified my political identity in my late 20's into today.  McCain is still someone who I've had the highest level of respect over those years though.

I'm sad that he's gone, there aren't many in government at this time who represent what McCain represents.  Reading about his loss is like a dagger in the gut.

Through the woodland, through the valley
Comes a horseman wild and free
Tilting at the windmills passing
Who can the brave young horseman be

He is wild but he is mellow
He is strong but he is weak
He is cruel but he is gentle
He is wise but he is meek

Reaching for his saddlebag
He takes a battered book into his hand
Standing like a prophet bold
He shouts across the ocean to the shore
Till he can shout no more

I have come o'er moor and mountain
Like the hawk upon the wing
I was once a shining knight
Who was the guardian of a king

I have searched the whole world over
Looking for a place to sleep
I have seen the strong survive
And I have seen the lean grown weak

See the children of the earth
Who wake to find the table bare
See the gentry in the country
Riding off to take the air

He takes a rusty sword into his hand
Then striking up a knightly pose
Till he can shout no more

See the jailor with his key
Who locks away all trace of sin
See the judge upon the bench
Who tries the case as best he can

See the wise and wicked ones
Who feed upon life's sacred fire
See the soldier with his gun
Who must be dead to be admired

See the man who tips the needle
See the man who buys and sells
See the man who puts the collar
On the ones who dare not tell

See the drunkard in the tavern
Stemming gold to make ends meet
See the youth in ghetto black
Condemned to life upon the street

He takes a tarnished cross into his hand
Then standing like a preacher now

Then in a blaze of tangled hooves
He gallops off across the dusty plain
In vain to search again
Where no one will hear

Through the woodland, through the valley
Comes a horseman wild and free
Tilting at the windmills passing
Who can the brave young horseman be

He is wild but he is mellow
He is strong but he is weak
He is cruel but he is gentle
He is wise but he is meek

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

I can't think about the death of John McCain without nearly crying.  Perhaps I'm over-emotional.

This brings back memories from my first summer in college when I had an American Government class back in 2000 and the teacher would often bring up McCain and and his ideas for campaign finance reform.

Archived