Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Damn Good Food

Spaceman Spiff

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

They didn't have it advertised anywhere, the guy behind the counter just told me that they'd received some.  But yeah, if I'm shelling out money for anything CLOSE to that, it better be legit.  

You can't even get it here, iirc from the segment.  (I swear, I wish I could provide a link to the article, but I've watched so much stuff since hockey season ended, I can't keep up with everything + "everything else", LOL)...now that I type this, I wanna say it was a 60 minutes or Vice News segment...don't quote me on that, however...

7 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

You can't even get it here, iirc from the segment.  (I swear, I wish I could provide a link to the article, but I've watched so much stuff since hockey season ended, I can't keep up with everything + "everything else", LOL)...now that I type this, I wanna say it was a 60 minutes or Vice News segment...don't quote me on that, however...

That's crazy, I knew it was rare but I didn't know it was THAT rare.  Organic Butcher in McLean has a good reputation, I doubt they'd make that up, though.   If you have a chance to go there, they have great beef for burger making and they'll grind up anything you want.  I tried short rib and ground chuck together a few weeks ago, it was fantastic.  

A place near to me which we go to when we're in the mood for Peruvian...Granja de Oro

You can, of course, get pollo alla brasa but that's boring and you can get that lots of places.  I favor the ceviche and anticuchos de corazon.   My kids like the tallarin saltado.

4 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I don't really care about "Kobe".  Just get the super-marbly Wagyu, sear it hot and slice it thin...stuff is outrageous.

Kobe is like scotch, the Japanese want to protect the name which is fine, but yeah Wagyu is the same beef just outside of Japan. I'm certain a kobe afficionado will tell us why we should all pay 10x more for kobe because of its excusivity etc, but like all things in food it may truly be the pinnacle of perfection but is it THAT much better than 2nd place? The answer is hardly ever yes, which means that to pay the extreme amount for kobe when wagyu is the same thing seems absurd to me.

We do it with bourbon here all the time, sure Pappy is the best, but is it really $60 per oz better than say Weller 107? No, and for 99.9% of people out there, they'll never fully appreciate the differences. So for me, go with the best quality you can but when the price starts to exponentially increase while the product only marginally increases then you stop.

Unless you just want to show off, then get your Kobe with your Pappy. 

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

Exactly, if you want kobe burger then just get a higher fat content ground beef.

Which ironically is the cheapest stuff. haha. 

I can afford to buy Kobe... I just don't see the point and KNOW that it is a scam that restaurants use. No thanks.

I have had it 3 times on someone else's dime. 2 steaks and one burger... I will never have the burger again.  

Steaks were delicious...certainly not worth the money though. 

On 7/26/2017 at 8:43 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Goodfellas Pizzaria (Lexington, KY)

The Bootlegger (minus mushrooms, added chicken and banana peppers) with a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.

<pic of food and beer>

Do you live in Lexington...?   

(I have a sister-in-law that lives there, and my mother in law has just moved there as well)

i will <maybe/possibly> be there sometime before the end of the summer.... for a visit.

(although the stars seem to be shifting this year to meeting up in Nashville, where my OTHER sis-in-law lives... when the eclipse passes through next month.  Nashville is on the 100% eclipsed path.   We may still visit both cities... but it is all still up in the air)

in any case, i have tended to be there once every year or two, often at Christmas.   But this year everyone is coming to MY house  (20+ people, my family plus inlaws, in my NOT very big house!)

Annex%20-%20Marx%20Brothers%20(A%20Night

At the circle of 15 & 50 (Gilbert's Corner) is the Pit Stop.  They are only there one the weekends but it is some of the best BBQ around.  A lobster roll guy will hang out there too and it is the best lobster roll I have had in this area.  I highly recommend both!

20 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's crazy, I knew it was rare but I didn't know it was THAT rare.  Organic Butcher in McLean has a good reputation, I doubt they'd make that up, though.   If you have a chance to go there, they have great beef for burger making and they'll grind up anything you want.  I tried short rib and ground chuck together a few weeks ago, it was fantastic.  

We have a "family butcher" nearby, and they used to deliver our ground chuck and filet for fajitas to the Mexican place where I worked directly...sometimes poor Jeremy was still in his bloody apron when he came by, LOL...

(And I have no doubt that your guy is legit, btw.) 

18 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Which ironically is the cheapest stuff. haha. 

Exactly!

The entire point with the marbling in the steak is the high distrubution of fat throughout the muscle which makes for a more tender and flavorful steak, once it's ground up the distinction is erased, yet people line up for it failing to realize they could get a burger just as good in the el cheapo section of Walmart.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
19 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Anyone been to Kinship?  Going Saturday.

It's my wife's and my favorite higher-end DC restaurant these days (and we go out a LOT). If you like caviar, definitely get an order at Kinship. The potato chips they serve with them are simply spectacular.

Archived