Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

The Nats and Caps each embrace each other.  The Redskins do jack squat for the other franchise despite being the most "popular"

The start of the Capitals season runs the same time as the Redskins maybe they feel that it's competition?

Anyhow I don't think I have ever been in a larger crowd then the parade earlier what perfect weather too

Loved seeing all of the images today. Nothing brings a city together like a championship. 

Love my hometown, love our fans, love this team. After all the years of this thread being a factory of sadness it feels so good to close out the season with a parade. 

Here is to all of us :cheers:

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

"We're not gunna be suck this year." The new legendary DC sports quote.

That definitely has entered paloffs is now territory. Waiting for the 2018 Redskins - We're not gunna be suck this year thread.

12 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

oh man. wish I coulda been at the parade today, but I saw plenty of pictures and videos from FB friends and from all of you on here today, it almost feels like I was there myself!! also, watching the round 4 recap that @Zazzaro703 posted/shared...brings all the feelings back again. the fact that I was out of the country for Games 1, 2 and 3 and the Caps won 2 of those games. I checked the score the morning after the games and it got me so excited each time I found out we won. then watching that 6-2 win in game 4 the day I got back home. just amazing. so happy for all of us and this town :D 

The Caps should throw all 4 of the series recaps they made onto a DVD and sell it/give it away at a game next year. Sprinkle in some other stuff too but the recaps themselves would sell if they wanted to.

Yesterday was a great time.  We headed out of Glenmont around 8:15 and were down on the corner of 9th and constitution on the south side by like 9:10am.  We just hung there drinking and chilling right on the gate until it all started and damn, what a blast.  Alan May was walking along the gate high fiving people and taking pics as we cheered him on.  Another Caps player came out to do the same a bit later, I am not sure who it was though in all honesty.  It may have been Groobs since I read he was doing that as well.

After the parade we tried to make our way to the mall but had no luck.  We went a couple different directions but everything was cut off and we literally had no clue how to get there, so we said F it and went to a bar.  We tried to go to Clydes for the 1067 after party but it was too crowded so we went to Bar Deco, which was supposedly going to have the Monumental Sports after party there as well.  But after they started to show up and it was just the crew for the most part, it got too crowded so we left there too and landed at Lucky Strikes.  

The random Caps chants and cheers that kept happening while we hung there was awesome.  Around 5pm we called it a day and headed back home and the Metro was not super crowded or anything either.  It was just normal rush hour crowded or a tad more, but  nothing too bad.  I experienced much worse crowds when I used to take it daily to work and things were running behind.

All in all a great fun day and we couldn't have asked for better weather.  I need to watch all of the speeches when I get home today. 

12 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

The Nats and Caps each embrace each other.  The Redskins do jack squat for the other franchise despite being the most "popular"

The Nats and Caps both win on a consistent basis. I suspect that irks Danny $nyder to no end. 

35 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I read this somewhere, and thought it was fitting: Ovi and the Caps have become the new Riggo and the Hogs.

I really think it's a great analogy...

Back in 1982, this city hadn't won anything...a brief surge a decade earlier left us one game short of a title when we lost to the Dolphins in the 1972 Super Bowl. Then, this cast of characters like Riggo, The Hogs, The Smurfs, Joe Theismann, etc. came together and stormed through the 1982 season and playoffs to win a title. It was fun, innocent, and euphoric and those guys took over the city with their charisma. 

Now in 2018, this city hadn't won anything...a brief surge TWO decades earlier left us one series short of a title when the Caps lost to the Red Wings in 1998. Then, all these charismatic players came together and tore through the SC playoffs to win a Cup. Even though this team had been around and knocking on the door longer, this is the first year it really got serious as they hadn't gotten past the second round. 

I really think this team is to the 2018 generation what the early-Gibbs Redskins were to the 1980s generation. I don't think they'll eclipse the Redskins' overall popularity simply because the roots are too deep, but they might steal a demographic or two. 

I dunno.......back in '82, even though Joey T and Riggo had been with the team for a while, the Skins pretty much came out of nowhere that year. Even with the 8-3 start to finish '81, nobody predicted that the '82 Skins were going to contend. The Caps, on the other hand, are a team that has been one of the top squads in the NHL for the better part of the past decade, and finally broke through. I think a lot of the fans lowered expectations heading into this season were psychological due to the consistent early round exits and not necessarily due to the loss of defensive components. Still had a solid core of guys here. As #8 said before the season "we are not going to be suck!" But I guess I can see the point from the perspective of the Stanley Cup generating more interest in the Caps than before. But did the '82 Lombardi really gin up greater interest in the Skins, or had it already been there, mainly due to Sonny in the 60s and then heightened due to the success of Allen in the 70s?

54 minutes ago, youngestson said:

The Nats and Caps both win on a consistent basis. I suspect that irks Danny $nyder to no end. 

I heard one of the guys on sirius nhl talking about covering capitals games, and how great the food and the hospitality always is.  He was floored when one of the employees asked him what he thought of the food.

Granted i know a lot less about Leonsis, but from what I gather the guy runs an incredibly tight ship, where organizational pride starts at the top and goes all the way down.  Ive heard it from so mwny sources... and him flying 200 employees to Vegas was confirmation 

Compare that to the redskins, where its all backbiting, leaks, rumors, and complaining. 

There is no better illustration of why organizational leadership matters, and why dan snyder is a loser.

57 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I dunno.......back in '82, even though Joey T and Riggo had been with the team for a while, the Skins pretty much came out of nowhere that year. Even with the 8-3 start to finish '81, nobody predicted that the '82 Skins were going to contend. The Caps, on the other hand, are a team that has been one of the top squads in the NHL for the better part of the past decade, and finally broke through. I think a lot of the fans lowered expectations heading into this season were psychological due to the consistent early round exits and not necessarily due to the loss of defensive components. Still had a solid core of guys here. As #8 said before the season "we are not going to be suck!" But I guess I can see the point from the perspective of the Stanley Cup generating more interest in the Caps than before. But did the '82 Lombardi really gin up greater interest in the Skins, or had it already been there, mainly due to Sonny in the 60s and then heightened due to the success of Allen in the 70s?

Sure there are some differences, it's not a perfect fit. But it's a very good analogy of a group of guys stealing this city's heart after a long time without a championship. 

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

Yesterday was a great time.  We headed out of Glenmont around 8:15 and were down on the corner of 9th and constitution on the south side by like 9:10am.  We just hung there drinking and chilling right on the gate until it all started and damn, what a blast.  Alan May was walking along the gate high fiving people and taking pics as we cheered him on.  Another Caps player came out to do the same a bit later, I am not sure who it was though in all honesty.  It may have been Groobs since I read he was doing that as well.

Dude I think we were in the same area. Alan May took a selfie with a group near me. The player that ran out was I believe Tom Wilson and I think DSP did too(but he ran to the other side of the street).

I'm just glad this team has a new group of heroes. I love the old Skins but I got sick of hearing about them from the old geyzers without having my own to fawn over. Now we have them.

I love this team. They're just so likeable and have so much charisma. I can't stop being happy about this Cup. I don't care if we go 0-82 next year.

46 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Dude I think we were in the same area. Alan May took a selfie with a group near me. The player that ran out was I believe Tom Wilson and I think DSP did too(but he ran to the other side of the street).

I'm just glad this team has a new group of heroes. I love the old Skins but I got sick of hearing about them from the old geyzers without having my own to fawn over. Now we have them.

I love this team. They're just so likeable and have so much charisma. I can't stop being happy about this Cup. I don't care if we go 0-82 next year.

The guy who ran out giving high fives was Joe Beagle, I just saw pics my sister posted on FB.  She was right on the gate I was like 2 deep.  And I saw pics of Tom Wilson on top of the bus too, that she posted as well.

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The guy who ran out giving high fives was Joe Beagle, I just saw pics my sister posted on FB.  She was right on the gate I was like 2 deep.  And I saw pics of Tom Wilson on top of the bus too, that she posted as well.

Oh okay, I didn't get a great look, the guy in front of me said it was Wilson.

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

After the parade we tried to make our way to the mall but had no luck.  We went a couple different directions but everything was cut off and we literally had no clue how to get there, so we said F it and went to a bar.  

Agreed, it was a perfect day. We got there at 9:00am

We skipped the parade,  and set up in the shade, on the grass, near a video board.  I think it was near 7th St.   They showed the parade on the screens.  

This will give you an idea. Here I am, watching this ladies stuff, while she took her Dad to the restroom.  The other pics are of the crowd. I was happy.in the shade.

FB_IMG_1528828881500.jpg

20180612_105447.jpg

FB_IMG_1528891758213.jpg

20180612_105305.jpg

20180612_104857.jpg

6 hours ago, Zazzaro703 said:

That definitely has entered paloffs is now territory. Waiting for the 2018 Redskins - We're not gunna be suck this year thread.

The Caps should throw all 4 of the series recaps they made onto a DVD and sell it/give it away at a game next year. Sprinkle in some other stuff too but the recaps themselves would sell if they wanted to.

They do have a DVD. I ordered one.

I was at The Mall and it was Amazing. Couldn't have been a better day for a parade in the District. Pretty awesome to sing with the Caps and hear all the guys get ovations. It was really fun drinking right between the Smithsonian buildings, monument and Capitol for the occasion that it was, something I had been waiting for my whole life! What a great sight to have the best hockey team in the world right by the most powerful buildings in the world hoisting the Cup. Capital & Capitol were interchangeable  I didn't arrive early enough to get near the front but we still got to see the Caps carry the Cup off the stage and give some shoutouts to Kuzy & Wilson. 

These were memories for the ages, proud to associate with a classy city, organization, and team who actually proved they can get it done. What a great lineup, we will remember them forever. I'll post a few pictures when I transfer from my phone.

Can someone explain the motorcycle helmet ritual? Does it only happen during wins? Regular season, playoffs both? Does the person who gets its, decide who gets it during the next time it's given out? Seems like a pretty cool team bonding element. How many years have they been doing that?

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Can someone explain the motorcycle helmet ritual? Does it only happen during wins? Regular season, playoffs both? Does the person who gets its, decide who gets it during the next time it's given out? Seems like a pretty cool team bonding element. How many years have they been doing that?

It's just a way for the team to recognize someone that had a good game that mixes in some fun. The players probably picked the motorcycle helmet. In the past it's been other things. 

6 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

DC was always a Redskins town prior to 82.

But that was because they were pretty much the only show in town - literally. The Caps and Wizards didn't move into the city until '97 and hadn't won anything since 1978. 1997 was the first year they'd played outside of the District since they moved from Boston. 

Unless the 'Skins make some major, crucial institutional changes and start winning consistently, they're going to find themselves out of the #1 spot.

20 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Unless the 'Skins make some major, crucial institutional changes and start winning consistently, they're going to find themselves out of the #1 spot.

Not for a long time they won't. 

I may be wrong, but I would guess there is virtually no uptick to Caps viewership by the time October/November rolls around. There may be a small increase in the number of people who tune in to watch the Caps in the post-season, but unless the get into the ECF again, I don't think it'll be significant. 

The Redskins played a wild card game in 2015 and that significantly outdrew the SCF games this year. They are firmly entrenched in the #1 spot until another team in the area goes on a dynastic run. 

Archived