Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your favorite film of 1989?

Ron78

What was your favorite film of 1989?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite film of 1989?

• Batman
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • Lethal Weapon 2
    • Look Who's Talking
    • Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    • Back to the Future Part II
    • Driving Miss Daisy
    • Dead Poets Society
    • When Harry Met Sally...
    • The War of the Roses
    • Steel Magnolias
    • Christmas Vacation
    • Turner & Hooch
    • Born on the Fourth of July
    • Uncle Buck
    • Field of Dreams
    • Tango & Cash
    • Pet Sematary
    • The Abyss
    • Major League
    • Always
    • Lean on Me
    • Road House
    • Glory
    • Other

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Now THAT'S a list.

Probably Batman.  Pet Semartary does NOT hold up.

It is? This is one of the worst years so far.

I'm going with Batman, because of Jack Nicholson's performance as the Joker. "You wouldn't hit a man with glasses, would you?"

Just now, Keith Huddleston said:

It is? This is one of the worst years so far.

I'm going with Batman, because of Jack Nicholson's performance as the Joker. "You wouldn't hit a man with glasses, would you?"

Better than any of the previous ones by a mile.

Minus Aliens of course, but they can't all be winners.

Honey I Shrunk the Kids.  I couldn't have been the only 7 year old gettin all steamed up when the boy and girl kissed under the blade of grass.

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Better than any of the previous ones by a mile.

Minus Aliens of course, but they can't all be winners.

Honey I Shrunk the Kids.  I couldn't have been the only 7 year old gettin all steamed up when the boy and girl kissed under the blade of grass.

Shall we go through 1987 again? (All the good ones in bold) Fatal Attraction, Beverly Hills Cop II, Good Morning Vietnam, Moonstruck, The Untouchables, The Secret of My Success, Stakeout, Lethal Weapon, The Witches of Eastwick, Dirty Dancing, Predator, Throw Momma From the Train, La Bamba, Robocop, Broadcast News, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, The Living Daylights, Full Metal Jacket, The Running Man, The Last Emperor, Spaceballs, Wall Street, Evil Dead 2, The Princess Bride.

Now thats a hellacious year. Crushes 1989 easily. 

It was a toss up between Batman and Field of Dreams for me. At the time, it was all Batman all the time. I appreciated Field of Dreams more when I was in High School and College. But if the two movies were on right now, I'd probably choose to watch Batman. He's always been my favorite superhero character. I've loved every version of the movies even if I didn't like some individual movies. I even love the corny and campy 60s version. So when this came out, it was so huge and I remember watching that VHS over and over and over.

I love BTTF 2, think it has a stigma attached to it, because it had to follow its first act.  I remember watching it after realizing how many people don't like it, and finished the movie confused as to why.  It's great, in my eyes.  Same with BTTF 3.  Love all of 'em.

I voted for Batman, but I'm a bit surprised it's winning, TBH.  I think so many prefer The Dark Knight over '89 Batman, that it's kind of lost a little of its legendary status.  To a kid, it was Earth-shaking.  I wanted to be a bad mother****er like that.

Not a big fan of Indiana Jones 3, definitely surprised that it's in second place as of now, and could move in to first with 2 votes.  It just doesn't resonate with me NEARLY as much as the first two installments.  It has its moments, like when he has to step on the correct spots, and when dude drinks from the cup, but that's about it for me.  *Just looked it up - it has good ratings across the board.  Shocked.  Didn't think it was that well-received when it came out, and was thought of as the black sheep of the trilogy

1 minute ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Not a big fan of Indiana Jones 3, definitely surprised that it's in second place as of now, and could move in to first with 2 votes.  It just doesn't resonate with me NEARLY as much as the first two installments.  It has its moments, like when he has to step on the correct spots, and when dude drinks from the cup, but that's about it for me.  *Just looked it up - it has good ratings across the board.  Shocked.  Didn't think it was that well-received when it came out, and was thought of as the black sheep of the trilogy

Last Crusade is ok. The Temple of Doom seems to be the one that most fans of the series don't like. I never realized this until a few years ago. 

Just now, clietas said:

Last Crusade is ok. The Temple of Doom seems to be the one that most fans of the series don't like. I never realized this until a few years ago. 

Temple of Doom is different.  It appeals more to children than the other two.

4 minutes ago, clietas said:

I know right?  Temple of Doom is my clear favorite.

3 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

Temple of Doom is different.  It appeals more to children than the other two.

Because of Kate Capshaw's tiddie cleavage?  Agreed.

I've heard a few of the movies I STILL enjoy now, as an adult - called kids movies in these threads.  Some of them I can't deny, like if Ron78 goes in to the 90s, I'm probably picking TMNT for 1990.  That movie is bad ass.

I think the age you were at the time of release has a lot to do with it.

Like, you'll never catch me watching Harry Potter...but if Willow is on, I'm hittin' the recliner with a bag of chips like we at the Uptown.

3 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I've heard a few of the movies I STILL enjoy now, as an adult - called kids movies in these threads.  Some of them I can't deny, like if Ron78 goes in to the 90s, I'm probably picking TMNT for 1990.  That movie is bad ass.

I don't know that I would pick TMNT as my favorite, but I did like that movie a lot when it came out.  In it's day, it was pretty advanced in the way of costumes.

4 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I think the age you were at the time of release has a lot to do with it.

I definitely agree with that.  I think the age I was when I saw Rocky V is why I seem to like it more than many others. 

1 minute ago, Ron78 said:

I don't know that I would pick TMNT as my favorite, but I did like that movie a lot when it came out.  In it's day, it was pretty advanced in the way of costumes.

I love the darkness of it.  Shredder reminds me of Darth Vader.  It's got its quirkiness, and they're humanoid turtles - so a big imagination is a must, but overall, the movie is DARK.  DAMN.  Raph is in a ****ing coma, Splinter is held up with ropes in the back of a damn gang warehouse.  April's apartment building is burned down.  This honest-guy's teenage kid is battling gang ties and befriending good Samaritans (ninja turtles).  Shredder gets smashed at the end in a trash truck.  DAMN!

5 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I love the darkness of it.  Shredder reminds me of Darth Vader.  It's got its quirkiness, and they're humanoid turtles - so a big imagination is a must, but overall, the movie is DARK.  DAMN.  Raph is in a ****ing coma, Splinter is held up with ropes in the back of a damn gang warehouse.  April's apartment building is burned down.  This honest-guy's teenage kid is battling gang ties and befriending good Samaritans (ninja turtles).  Shredder gets smashed at the end in a trash truck.  DAMN!

Sounds like you were pretty high when you watched it. LOL. 

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Raiders is the best Jones movie but the Last Crusade is very close IMO. For one, adding Connery made it absolutely hilarious thru his lines but he also made Indy so much funnier too.

I think the action scenes are right on par with Raiders too. The tank fight is a classic

I actually think Last Crusade is a better movie.

Just learned this last night (or maybe re-learned):

Temple of Doom is the reason that we have a PG-13 rating.  It was rated PG (along with Gremlins) and people found PG to be too scary/gory for PG.  Soon after, Red Dawn debuted with a PG-13 rating.

And now here we are, with movies that skirt what an R should be in order to get a PG-13 rating.  Movies that show violence but not blood, cursing but not "****", and sexiness but not sex.  Turning our kids into despondent children who are not in touch with reality.

1 minute ago, Keith Huddleston said:

I suspect you are in a minority there. 

Probably so, but I think Last Crusade not only had great action and a great story, but it nailed the comic relief (which the original didn't touch).

Just now, Ron78 said:

Probably so, but I think Last Crusade not only had great action and a great story, but it nailed the comic relief (which the original didn't touch).

I dunno, Karen Allen was pretty funny in places, as the feisty damsel in distress.

There both good movies, I could see either as being a fan favorite. 

Archived