Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

5 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Interesting tidbit on Grant's practice today & what he does and why the coaches like him so much.  He even plays friggin' Special Teams.  Tough, smart guy it seems.  We may as well get used to him as he is here to stay. Hell, let's give him a shot, why not, right?  Hail

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/want-know-why-redskins-coaches-ryan-grant-heres-specific-example?utm_content=buffer046bc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I think he's also one of those players that for whatever reason the coach wants to prove his critics wrong over. Gruden wants to be right about Grant and is giving him second, third, and eighth chances he doesn't afford other players. That said, he had a good game one.

8 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

How on God's green earth is he a limited participant at practice when he played 20 snaps.  This guy is glass.  I was hyped when we picked him, I saw training camp and thought he was our most natural receiver.  But these types do not last very long in the nfl.  It's extremely likely at this point he will go down as a first round bust.  

This is a clear case of a kid that doesn't love football.  It is also a generational issue.  I see it even in youth football.  In my day if you started something you didn't dare tell Mommy and Daddy you didn't want to play any more during the season!  But now kids do it all the time and parents (who want to be their friends) give into their demands.  Cravens, Doctson, the 49ers young players, etc.  Get used to it.  I'm now on Gruden's side about Grant.  Give me a kid that appreciates that he gets paid to play a game and would kill to get on the field over some moody mama's boy who is all about himself and his feelings. 

Before we go all ga-ga over Ryan Grant, let's not forget he's had plenty of chances to prove himself before.  If last week's game was the beginning of a turning point? Awesome....but it is also a little early to get too hyped. After all Doctson was drafted in the first place due to the GM thinking it was a position of need.

This whole Doctson thing..........ugh.

On 9/13/2017 at 5:06 PM, bankonhank said:

Did you just take one game and extrapolate it and say someone is on pace for something? I will laugh, I must laugh. Antonio Brown is on pace for 2,800 yards people, BEST RECEIVER OF ALL TIME. Again people on this site are so pessimistic they literally throw logic out the window to help spread their pessimism. 

Also he literally only had 1 drop, the other drop was getting called back for a hold either way. So not only did you make one of the dumbest "on pace" statements I've ever seen but you used the wrong stat lmao, dude pull yourself together. 

Extrapolating a stat is not realistic. I'll give you that....

I was making a point that 2 drops in a game is not normal. Especially if you compare it to a player that has played 16 games and has no drops (Garcon) or 3 drops in 16 games (Jackson); let alone Reeds drop ratio. 

Pessimistic has nothing  to do with it. He dropped two balls in a game!!!! It its thrown to you, you catch the damn ball!!!! Penalty or not!! That's the facts. A coach is not going to watch film and say, "oh its ok Terrell, i see you dropped that ball on a penalty so that's not a big deal." Also, I hope you don't base a player's performance on whether the play was on a penalty or not. Now that 's dumb!! 

Let me explain something to you, since its obvious you've never played the game (but probably always chiming in with dumb ass statements that have nothing to do with football!) 

Other teams watch film...QBs lose trust in players (and may look elsewhere, even when the read is to that player). If you can't catch the ball, you are a liability to what your team is trying to accomplish. You're an asset to a defense that would have normally rolled a double team to your side. Now they can focus on stopping someone else, like a Jordan Reed or a Crowder running underneath. Jackson's ability to track the ball and catch the freakin' ball created space in the middle of the field. Pryor's not "showing" an ability to do those things. It makes it tough on the passing game when the middle underneath is crowded. Didn't see much from Reed or Crowder in that game, did you?

But of course people (like yourself) are probably used to failure and used to losing. Love to make excuses for this team.

Child please......

On 9/14/2017 at 3:08 PM, Burgold said:

I think he's also one of those players that for whatever reason the coach wants to prove his critics wrong over. Gruden wants to be right about Grant and is giving him second, third, and eighth chances he doesn't afford other players. That said, he had a good game one.

I usually agree with you (about most anything, lol), but I disagree with this.  As a coach, you're looking for hard workers, guys that can learn the system, and guys that can produce.  Grant's a hard worker and has learned all of the receiver positions.  He's shown himself able to produce on Teams, and has become a solid blocker in the run game (which, ironically, along with route running, were knocks against him on scouting reports coming from college).  Given the above, even with his relative lack of production in the passing game (this past game aside), Gruden has understandably trusted him as the 4th receiver.  Injuries to Crowder/Harris/Doctson in the preseason meant Grant was played more as a starter and looked ok doing so.  It's just one game, but I think Gruden's trust in him is paying off ATM. Grant was never put into the doghouse because he didn't deserve to be.  You don't bench a player because they fall down on few times on routes or trying to get YAC, or for dropping some balls. Happens to everyone.  

All of that said, I am not a big fan of Grant.  I think he's a solid #4, and can maybe be an ok #2, but I want more potential out of our receivers.  This is one reason I was bummed they didn't keep Hazel or Davis on the roster... I wanted to see how they'd do with some playing time to find out what we might have for the future.  I don't quite get the utter disdain some have for Grant though...

Whenever i hear about a wide receiver not able to go because of hamstrings i think of Gary Clark in the 80's and 90's who seemed to battle hamstring injurys every game, Hell i remember quite a few where he would literally be on the sidelines getting taped and stretched mid game. No one had heart like Gary Clark. 

As far as this current crop of 2017 wide receivers go well, Im worried. Terrell Pryor can fly, there is no doubt about that but the amount of drops he has had since putting on a Redskins uniform is unacceptable for any professional at the NFL level. Doctson is soft and more than likely this is a heart issue, I think this kid has something going on upstairs that aint right. Not sure why everyone is excited about grant, He's not bad but he hasn't shown me anything to get that excited over. Jamison Crowder in my opinion is the only NFL caliber receiver on this roster, It pains and worries me to say that.

Two things.....Doctson and Pryor

Just went back to see Doctson's 40 run at the combine. Kid runs a 4.5 when healthy. Not a burner, so a tight hamstring would be an issue with this guy at this level. Suggestion: Seek out Santana Moss, who had hamstring issues his entire career, but balled out.

Pryor loves the jugg machine. So freakin' what!! He's not a natural, which lends itself to drops. I expect to see more as the season goes along.

As much as I hate to mention any cowgirls as a reference, listen to one of them in the vid talking about catching the ball. Its true ya know!  

https://youtu.be/R8LM3jLs3cc

On 9/14/2017 at 4:49 PM, ThomasRoane said:

This is a clear case of a kid that doesn't love football.  It is also a generational issue.  I see it even in youth football.  In my day if you started something you didn't dare tell Mommy and Daddy you didn't want to play any more during the season!  But now kids do it all the time and parents (who want to be their friends) give into their demands.  Cravens, Doctson, the 49ers young players, etc.  Get used to it..........some moody mama's boy who is all about himself and his feelings. 

I know right. Dont forget about these damn kids driving and getting rides to games on Sundays too. Why aren't they walking the long way, preferably uphill, without shoes like real mean did back in the day. Soft ass bunch of wimps. 

Sitting here watching the Falcon WRs. Absolute beast at every position. Even Hardy (#14) is a baller. Not to speak of Jones and Sua. It would be nice to be afforded that as a fan. But alas, we've got two big receivers. One is soft as a marshmallow (Doctson) and the other has a QB's mentality (Pryor) and is also 50/50 catching the damn ball. 

I really thought we had something with these two. But it looks like that something was a hot bowl a ****.

Show me a  Skins' 1st round wide out with promise and I'll show you just about every sorry ass WR the Redskins have ever drafted since 2000. (besides Crowder and Niles Paul (albeit ending up a TE). 

BTW, the list of WRs drafted by the Skins since 2000 are:

Ethen (who?) Howell

Rod 50/50 (Pryor's twin)

Damerien (crickets) McCants

Cliff (****ing) Russell

Taylor (we talkin' 'bout pactice) Jacobs

Devin (Sua Cravens) Thomas

Malcolm (bust ass) Kelly

Marco Mitchell

Terrence Austin

Is there star? Anyone.....anyone......crickets.

Had to stop at 2010. The truth started to cut too deep.

Every ****ing WR drafted except for two in the last 16 years has been a bust or just plain sucked. Wow.

So this coaching staff is still hell bent on throwing the fade. I have yet to see it done properly by this offense. So I decided to add a proper fade video. That way, when someone gets on one of the game threads and starts with that homer ****, they'll have a video to help them stfu!

So first off, Kirk can't throw flat balls and Josh needs do his damn job.

As you can see in the video, its a jump ball...not a route!!! If you're taller than the CB and you can't make a play, you are being taught wrong or you're just plain bust material.

As of this moment, Doctson is soft. With that said, players can toughen up. Reed was soft early in his career too, now look at him coming back into games with chest injuries and what not.

I don't know what his deal is, he needs to figure it out. You wanna be an NFL baller, you gotta be tough and play through pain.

Pryor need more work but I think he'll be okay. That catch and run late in the game was fantastic.

Back the question posed by the OP, I think the receiving corps is weak and I wonder who made the decision to let Garçon and Jackson leave?  Did SM make that decision or did Bruce Winning Off The Field Allen make this call?  When I say BA I really mean Dan Snyder.

Doctson has been a non performer due to injuries and Pryor is a big question mark.  How did Pryor get his1,000 yards in Cleveland?  Watching him makes me wonder how many yards came on running routes in a system and how many were on backyard style fly patterns.  Didn't watch the Browns so I don't know.

11 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Back the question posed by the OP, I think the receiving corps is weak and I wonder who made the decision to let Garçon and Jackson leave?  Did SM make that decision or did Bruce Winning Off The Field Allen make this call?  When I say BA I really mean Dan Snyder.

Doctson has been a non performer due to injuries and Pryor is a big question mark.  How did Pryor get his1,000 yards in Cleveland?  Watching him makes me wonder how many yards came on running routes in a system and how many were on backyard style fly patterns.  Didn't watch the Browns so I don't know.

In today's NFL, 1000 yards really isn't much of anything. In 2011 Jabar effing Gaffney had over 900 yards receiving for us with the likes of Beck and Grossman at QB.

THe Pryor signing is looking more and more like a gamble the FO took because they assumed Doctson would be back from injury and tearing up the field with his skills.

Pryor having to anchor a WR core as opposed to being the physical freak guy that can slowly come along are two different things.

Archived