Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What film drew out the biggest emotional response from you?

nonniey

55 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Glory - "Give 'Em Hell 54th!!'', then the end scene where the bodies get thrown in the pit

Yeah I LOVE "Glory".......that scene where Denzel tried to run off and got caught, so he had to get whipped. Man the way Denzel tosses his shirt, spits on the ground. And then you see all those whip marks on his back from previous whippings. He took that whopping like a G.......

Dead Man Walking - You have to understand though.  This wasn't a tear jerker because I am left wing nut (I am).   It was emotional for me because I saw it the summer after one of my two best friends had been abducted and raped at knife point (lucky as all to live).  The trial was in the spring, and I was watching the movie alone in the summer.  It was hard to watch because the movie forced me to think about how much my hatred was hurting me. The things I wanted to do to that guy...the things my roommate and I probably would have done had we caught him instead of the cops...the things the group of us decided we would do if he was found innocent and we drew the short straw.  The hatred still burns a slow simmer, but I shunt it away and try to use the energy towards more healing avenues for me, for my wife and kids and for others unable to find the help they need.  I still haven't found the healing the lucky family in the movie found, but I avoid the internal death of the other family.

57 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

What's with the beginning of UP?  I wanted to take my grandkids when it first came out, but now I'm glad they didn't see a "grandma breakdown".  I guess I'll have to see it after all.

It's just about the most wrenching 10 minutes of film ever created.

Sean Penn...

I Am Sam.  If that movie doesn't just kill you on the inside, you're not human.  jmho, of course, but that was a performance worth a thousand Oscars.  ~Oh, and then there's the one with Walken...when he was married to Madonna, ???????????  Absolutely outstanding work in the "feels" category.

48 minutes ago, gbear said:

Dead Man Walking

This movie got to me too gbear.  Not because of anything that had happened in my life though.  It's such a powerhouse performance from Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon kills it in a role I would not have imagined for her.

A lot of Sean Penn movies are very moving.  Milk and Mystic River come to mind too.  Penn can draw blood from a stone.

Good call on Interstellar and especially Schindlers List, and Atonement. Good lord those last two were just gut wrenching. 

The lovely bones was pretty awful in that way. It was apparently so bad at screenings,  they had to change the ending so (spoiler alert, but not really cuz they never find out who did it)  the Stanley Tucci character dies. 

Got a little creeper watching 'a dogs purpose' the other day.

Marley and Me - you knew damn well ahead of time the dog was going to die, but get sucked in anyway!!!

Seven - not sure if it was just the mind screw at the end of it or what but after the first time watching it, just remember thinking WTF?

The Notebook - not sure why, but must be getting softer at an older age.

On a more serious note, Shindler's List and the Green Mile. Really powerful movies. 

D-Day landing at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan...I had an uncle who landed with the 29/116 that day.  I couldn't even watch the opening scene...had to turn off the DVD and wait a few a minutes before watching the rest of the movie.

Wore a collared shirt to the theater to see Schindler's List.  By the time it ended the collar was soaking wet from wiping away tears.  

That and Dead Poets Society were the first two movies that really elicited a ton of emotion from me.  

The one I have gotten grief fro recommending because it has left friends teary is Life is Beautiful. I tell them they should not have expected a cheerful end to a Holocaust movie even much of it is a funny movie. At least the boy got his ride in a tank.

Dead Man Walking was the first movie that ever made me cry.  Sarandon and Penn were magical on screen together, the best film of both of their careers.  That final scene, man.  Powerful stuff.  Jesus. :(

The Boy In The Striped Pajamas was tough on the feelbox as well.  

Far as animated (well, clay animation), if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend Mary & Max.  Amazing movie and very emotional. Toni Collette and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.  If there were a "top 25 movies since 2000 that many people haven't heard of," Mary and Max is top 5. 

Archived