Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "I wish we got THAT guy!" thread 2017 edition

Voice_of_Reason

^^I really wanted to trade up for Cook in the 2nd round also, but after watching the College Football championship game, I'm not too upset about the Andersen pick. That guy was constantly in the backfield making plays.  He'll bring a much needed attitude to this D.  

Jake Butt with our second 4th would've been a great pick.  That guy reminds me of Jason Witten.  We didn't even need him to play this year.  Put him on IR, and next year you get a 1st round talent TE on your team at a low 4th round pick cost.  

In FA, I was hoping that we'd finally address our NT position.  Even Shanahan at least made a (stupid) attempt by signing the undersized Cofield to play the spot.   I absolutely loved the Pryor signing(was hoping for it to happen before the season even ended), and am very confident that he'll be an upgrade over both Garcon and D-Jax, as he's a better possession receiver than Pierre and has the deep speed to somewhat mitigate the loss of D-Jax, without having to worry about injury/availability.  

Even taking the Scot McCloughan fiasco into account, I actually think we had a fairly strong offseason...

I would like have like Alvin Kamara, because he's a 3 down back that can carry 20 times a game and he's and explosive PR returner.

I also wanted Rashaad Coward as a UDFA, or even a 7th rounder. I liked what I saw in him, more so than a couple of the other NT prospects we currently have on the roster. Bears signed him though.

On 5/1/2017 at 6:21 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Tomlinson who went to the Giants

Quals who went to the Eagles.

Where'd Eddie Jackson end up?

Jackson went to Chicago in an otherwise very underwhelming draft for them (IMO).  

On 5/1/2017 at 7:13 PM, Morneblade said:

Complete lack of any NT in the draft. I'm starting to hate our FO with it's lack or respect for the need to stop the run.

Yep. How many years has this organization been needing a quality nose tackle, and unable to come up with one? Exactly as long as it's been since they changed from a base 4-3 to a 3-4.

Does the phrase "**** or get off the pot" come to mind?

Free Agency and the draft went okay, all things considering(especially with the Scott drama!)

But with that being said, I wish we have hired Gus Bradley over Greg Manusky as our new DC. But time will tell if that was a mistake.

I loved our first 3 picks. I wanted Ruben Foster like others have said but now they are saying he has a shoulder injury and it is actually possible he will be out for the year already. That would have not been worth trading up for.

2nd round- Wormley/Cunningham

3rd round-  Montravius Adams(after we passed on Wormley)

4th- happy with samaje

4th- our wtf pick....I was banging my damn table for Elijah Qualls

5th- Elijah Qualls

As you can tell, I wanted and thought we would take a DL with our pick.

Apparently I was not the only one that wanted another NT. That's nice to see.

And, it was probably our biggest goof in the draft....................again.

One day, one day we'll either go after one, or just decide to go back to when we actually had good defenses and go back to the 4-3.

One day...........

On 5/5/2017 at 10:16 AM, MEANDWARF said:

Free Agency and the draft went okay, all things considering(especially with the Scott drama!)

But with that being said, I wish we have hired Gus Bradley over Greg Manusky as our new DC. But time will tell if that was a mistake.

Adding Pryor, Brown, Swearinger, Allen, Anderson, Moreau, Perine and Sprinkle is far beyond okay (IMO).  Of course, the lack of signing Cousins is an anchor to this offseason, so I suppose you may be right.  

2-3 weapons on offense, plus help at every level of the D (and up the middle!) is fantastic.  I'll add the obligatory "we didn't get a NT, so we might still struggle", but I'm loving the direction of the team.  

****, rereading this post, I'm afraid I might wind up drowning in the koolaid.  

Realistically the only change I would make would be to use that 2nd 4th on almost any DT drafted in the next two rounds, especially looking at all the DBs we took later in the draft anyways. 

On 5/1/2017 at 10:56 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I've done this the last few years, and it seems to have been pretty successful.  So I thought I would do it again.  The rules are simple:

1. Name the player that you wish we had signed in FA or picked in the draft.

2. For draft picks, please limit to players who were available at the pick we selected at.  For example:

BAD: Myles Garrett.  Why?  Because we didn't pick #1 overall, and there's no way we get him.

GOOD: Reuben Foster.  Why? Because we could have selected him at 17 instead of the player we selected.

3. For the draft, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE put position, school, draft position, new team where possible. I don't know every player in college football, and it makes my life easier to find, compile and then update the players.  

4. For free agents, please use some discretion.  If the 'Skins realistically had no play at the person, then it's not worth tracking.  If they did, then it does.  I leave this to your discretion.  

I will give it a little while, then compile the results, and then track through the season to see how well these guys did.  

I generally update the results for every player listed right before the season (after the draft), and then 2-3 times during the season, and then after the season.  

Finally, while discussion about drafting a QB at any point in the draft is fine, this is not a Cousins thread. 

Round 1: Nobody I would have picked over Allen. Don't like the bad combine, but not sure how much combine matters with semi-interior lineman, plus I heard an interesting debate between Josh, and Matt Kelley about him, and Josh's point was that: shouldn't have surprised people that he fell, he wasn't a great fit for 4-3 defenses because while he could line up all over the line in a 3-4, his tweener physique wouldn't fit nearly as well in a 4-3, add in the arthritis and bad combine and some teams were a bit gun shy. Made the best sense in Round 1, just HUGE that he was there. 

Round 2: Definitely would have gone another direction: My targets: Joe Mixon DAMN IT!!!!! the rumor that Mixon was going to the Bengals in round 2 if he lasted that far proved prophetic, okay so backup plan would have revolved around Deshone Kizer, Zach Cunningham, Jordan Willis and Tannoh Kpassagnon. If I was convinced that we couldn't sign Kirk, I'd go with Kizer, if I felt we could get it done, I'd probably go Tannoh, greater ceiling with a similar risk to Zach, but that would be really tough. I don't have a firm enough sense of Willis as a prospect to render a verdict right now, as he might be one I'd be willing to pick over all the others but I just don't have enough info. In terms of who we took, I definitely think he was one of the top 6 or 7 guys available considering our needs and his talent, I just liked other guys better.

Round 3: Kareem Hunt, Chris Godwin and Moreau made a lot of sense here, but I pass on Hunt because there are another five or six backs I still like a lot, I love Godwin but we just took Doctson, so I cosign on Moreau. Really liked that pick. 

Round 4: Like the Redskins I would have seriously considered RB with one of our fourth's, between our 3rd and our first pick in round 4 Hunt, Foreman and Conner were all plucked off the RB board, and all 3 were featured in my top 15 at the position (Hunt and Foreman inside the top 10, Conner near the bottom of my top 15). With Perine, Mack, Joe Williams, A. Jones, J. McNichols and Hill still available, I take a pass. If the medicals clear, Carl Lawson is the pick here, if they don't, I grab Perine. 

Round 4 Pick 2: I select Jake Butt without a second thought. 

Round 5: Jeremy McNichols is the pick here with Aaron Jones as the backup, and Saubert, and Sprinkle also under consideration.

Round 6 Pick 1 and 2: With RB addressed (I have either Perine and Jones, or McNichols as my back out of this class), I can move my focus to the best DB, LB, lineman and/or TE on the board. Best players available are Hodges, Roulier, and Ishmael Zamora. I go with the best two available at both slots, so Hodges and then Roulier if he's still there or Zamora. 

Round 7 Pick 1: 

Chad Kelley: I had him in the top 3 available QB's and a top 60 prospect. 

I. Zamora, w/him having lasted forever I get suspicious he may be a UDFA, so I grab him early. 

So Ideal Draft: 

1 (17th): Jonathan Allen DT

2 (49th): D. Kizer QB (or Tannoh Kpassagnon if Cousin's is going to be resigned)

3 (81st): Fabian Moreau CB

4 (114th): Carl Lawson OLB if medicals clear, or Samaje Perine RB

4 (123rd): Jake Butt TE

5 (154th): Jeremy McNichols RB if Lawson's medicals cleared, if not Aaron Jones RB. 

6 (199th): Bucky Hodges TE/WR/H-Back

6 (209th): Chase Roulier OG/C (if off board I select Chad Kelley QB)

7 (230th): Chad Kelly QB (if already selected, go with original Redskins selection (Harvey-Clemons), I liked that pick

7 (235th): Ishmael Zamora WR

It's kind of a testament to how impressive the draft was for me that when I look at my haul (Allen, Kizer/Kpassagnon, Moreau, Lawson/Perine, Butt, McNichols/Jones, Hodges, Roulier, Kelly, Zamora) and am not so sure mine will end up better (I have an inflated sense of my own scouting ability at the playmaking positions, less so w/regards to the lines-other than sniffing out likely busts). 

6 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Montae Nicholson was the only pick I couldn't comprehend, but everything else was solid. I really just don't want to pick right after the Ravens anymore, it felt like they had our draft chart.

Yes.  The Ravens & the Colts.  They both piss me off.  Hail

21 hours ago, CTskin said:

Montae Nicholson was the only pick I couldn't comprehend, but everything else was solid. I really just don't want to pick right after the Ravens anymore, it felt like they had our draft chart.

Agreed.  But then again, anyone with a spare 75K had our draft chart <_<

Is anyone else really impressed with the talent we brought in regarding the UDFA's? It may have to do with how deep this draft was with solid talent but I am very impressed with some of the guys that were brought in. A few of these guys are legit threats to make the 53, and definitely the PS. 

On 5/7/2017 at 9:04 PM, The Consigliere said:

1 (17th): Jonathan Allen DT

2 (49th): D. Kizer QB (or Tannoh Kpassagnon if Cousin's is going to be resigned)

3 (81st): Fabian Moreau CB

4 (114th): Carl Lawson OLB if medicals clear, or Samaje Perine RB

4 (123rd): Jake Butt TE

5 (154th): Jeremy McNichols RB if Lawson's medicals cleared, if not Aaron Jones RB. 

6 (199th): Bucky Hodges TE/WR/H-Back

6 (209th): Chase Roulier OG/C (if off board I select Chad Kelley QB)

7 (230th): Chad Kelly QB (if already selected, go with original Redskins selection (Harvey-Clemons), I liked that pick

7 (235th): Ishmael Zamora WR

So your ideal draft involves drafting 2 QBs and 7 offensive players out of 10 picks?

On 5/9/2017 at 9:14 AM, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Is anyone else really impressed with the talent we brought in regarding the UDFA's? It may have to do with how deep this draft was with solid talent but I am very impressed with some of the guys that were brought in. A few of these guys are legit threats to make the 53, and definitely the PS. 

I don't know. Last year the team signed a bunch of bigger "name" (and I use that term very loosely) UDFAs like Tevin Carter, Dominik Jackson, Joe Gore, and Geno Matias-Smith. A number of these guys were expected to be drafted and weren't. And yet in the end, it was Robert Kelley, a guy most people expected nothing of and liked less than fellow UDFA running back Travis Greene, that made the biggest impact. Maurice Harris and Anthony Lanier also made an impact, but the point being that contributions often come from those you least expect it from.

I know that R. Anderson will be a real gamer for the Skins, but I was really hoping that the Skins might consider trading up in the second round for either Lamp or Pocic.  I don't think Lauvao is durable, and IMHO Arie K. was always a long shot.

I know it's not appropriate to be picking offense over defense -- but the Skins "O" is what makes this team go, and they need better run blocking and pass-pro, to find out what talent they've got at the skills positions.  And to do that, you need decent talent at C/LG-- and I'm still not sold they have any real quality depth at those spots.

ILB is a huge need too, but until but until the Skins get serious about drafting a decent NT, plugging in smallish Edge rushers won't work, in spite of how gung-ho they are.  

I really like the Skins pick of Samje Perrine. -- a great 'between-the-tackles' RB -- but it's too bad the Skins didn't fix their O-line deficiencies between the tackles.  That's why I wish the Skins had been consistent in developing the inside running game needed.

I wish we would have signed DT Jarron Jones from Notre Dame as a UFA. He has the size to play NT at 6'6 316 lbs and the versatility to play everywhere along the defensive line. There are concerns about his injury history and consistency but he has flashed potential to excel against the run and pass. Of course he signed with the Giants.

Archived