Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Fabian Moreau CB UCLA

PCS

•  

Some PFF data on Moreau.  Really puts into perspective how terrible Fuller was last year too.

• -In 51 career games for UCLA, CB Fabian Moreau recorded 148 tackles with 26 passes defensed and three interceptions. His career, and his excellent pro day numbers, led many scouts to think of Moreau as a first-round talent before he injured a pectoral muscle.
  •  
  • -Moreau allowed 0.86 yards per cover snap last season ranking him tied second among all draft-eligible Pac-12 cornerbacks. He also allowed a reception for every 13.6 cover snaps which ranked fourth among those Pac-12 cornerbacks.
  •  
  • -Moreau allowed a passer rating of 67.2 when the ball was thrown into his primary coverage, ranking him fifth among draft eligible Pac-12 CBs.
  •  
  • -If he returns in time for camp, he should be able to put immediate pressure on incumbent Redskins CB Kendall Fuller, whom Moreau outperformed at the collegiate level. Fuller allowed the fifth highest completion percentage (78.6 percent) of all NFL cornerbacks last season and allowed a league eighth highest QB rating (120.9) when the ball was thrown into his primary coverage.
  •  

Moreau-ticker.png

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-a-healthy-moreau-can-challenge-redskins-incumbent-cornerbacks/

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting into watching the games from start to finish, chronologically.

I like to do that to get a feel for things you just don't get otherwise when watching clips or highlights. Things like crucial moments during games, how the season is going and the various types of pressure that can create, the general emotions involved, the game within the game, matchups, etc... 

Anyway, I started with Fabian. Not sure why, probably because I just haven't heard much about him except that he's an exciting prospect. Wanted to see for myself. 

So far, I've watched the first four games of their season. Texas A&M, UNLV, BYU, and then Stanford. 

I simply couldn't find the full second game against UNLV anywhere, it just doesn't exist as far as I can tell. Best I could do was a lengthy reel of highlights that did a good job in showing every play that was made by UCLA. 

So what I've seen so far?

This kid is truly an exceptional athlete. You'd never know it watching him because he's so ridiculously fluid and smooth that it doesn't even look like he's trying sometimes.

He doesn't have any wasted movement. He's extremely patient, which ties into his athleticism since he totally trusts his legs, so he allows the receivers to state their intentions before really running with them. He does that and still manages to stay on their hips the entire time.

It's to the point where he almost looks disinterested, lol. It's pretty neat. That's further highlighted by the fact that he's not a big celebrator or someone who gets easily hyped. His teammates will be jumping around in excitement after a big play and he's just real chill. One might even question his love of the game because of it, but I won't standing where I am. That's the place for the scouts who have access to his background, family nembers, coaches, etc... 

I really don't have any negatives. He gave up a garbage time TD right at the end of the BYU game that his team already had in the bag, but it's obvious he slacked off. It was a fade from far out and he just sort of let the receiver drift into the end zone towards the end of the route without contesting it. He was clearly mad at himself, as he should be, because it was just a stupid thing to do and unnecessarily went against him. Would've had a near perfect game had he just finished. 

But, yeah, that's literally the only negative so far. Guy is a shutdown corner thus far from what I've seen. He's got the length and size you love in a press corner and uses it. He mostly played at the left side of the defense, but he lined up on the right side from time to time. Mora, his HC there, basically left him on an island close to every snap and usually against the opponent's best receiver. 

Also, the knock on him about a lack of INTs isn't fair... at least not in these four games. QBs simply don't throw to his side. He's getting very few targets a game and only one or two of them are balls he can barely get his hands on, so they end up in pass breakups. Most of the times he's targeted come off of the most basic, 3-5 yard routes like quick slants and drags. All of which are contested, many ending in pass breakups because he almost always gets his arms in there. It's a joke, he's simply not attacked in any way. 

Another knock on him, this one from Cooley, was that he's not a willing tackler or necessarily physical against the run/against blocks from receivers. I'd have to disagree to a degree because he's certainly willing when it's obvious run situations or the opponents line up in jumbo formations. He sets the edge extremely well and can get in the backfield in a hurry. Now, does he lay out and throw his body around? No, but I don't think he was being coached to do so. He held his own when it came to getting off of blocks overall, though there were more than a few times he did get stuck. I don't think it's a legit concern as I'm inclined to believe it was more about what he was told to do (shut this guy down in coverage) than anything else. He had no fear when it came to approaching the LOS or setting the edge among a group of big bodies when necessary. 

Suffice to say, I'm extremely impressed. The best thing for me is I could swear he looks bored at times out there, like it's too easy for him. :ols: 

Will dig in some more and see how the rest of his season went. 

• 3 weeks later...

I missed posting the "Why the Slide" edition for Fabian Moreau.

From Charlie Campbell at walterfootball.com

http://walterfootball.com/ws2017fmoreau.php

Over the past few seasons under head coach Jim Mora, UCLA has produced a lot of good talent for the NFL, especially on the defensive side of the ball. That group includes first- or second-round picks Anthony Barr, Kenny Clark, Myles Jack, Erik Kendricks and Datone Jones. In the 2017 NFL Draft, Moreau was one of the Bruins' top defensive prospects along with defensive tackle Eddie Vanderdoes. Moreau played really well as a senior prior to being one of the top players at the East-West Shrine. He sent a jolt into his draft stock by running a blazing 4.35-second time in the 40-yard dash. Some were mocking Moreau as a late first-rounder, thus it was surprise that he slipped into the third round.

According to sources, Moreau graded out as a late second-round to early third-round pick. They felt that Moreau didn't always play up to his timed speed. The 6-foot, 206-pounder has good cover skills with physicality and size. Some other team sources say that Moreau slid because of a pectoral injury he suffered during his pro day. Overall though, Moreau was a consensus second-day player and teams weren't grading him as first-round pick like some media projected.

The Washington Redskins took Moreau in the third round, and that was a great landing spot for him. Washington needed more cornerback competition to go with No. 1 corner Josh Norman. Bashaud Breeland disappointed in 2016 and is in a contract year. Moreau could form a talented trio with 2016 third-round pick Kendall Fuller going inside to the slot. It wouldn't surprise me if Moreau is starting quickly across from Josh Norman on the outside, and a Norman-Moreau-Fuller trio could be one of the bigger, more talented trios in the NFL.

Archived