Sign in to follow this  
DCStrangler

What game & which rubbing back did this happen?

Sometime during the heyday of the 80s, the Skins had a comfortable lead with about 8 or so minutes left in the game and the Skins had the ball.  Gibbs called a running play over and over to run the clock, and in the process they eventually punched it in.

What game was this?  I think the running back was either Otis Wonsley or Nick Giaquinto.  I really want to find video of this series.  It was one of the ultimate "F U.  Stop us" moments I have ever witnessed.

Not sure what game you are referring to, but in the 1982 NFCCG against Dallas, the Skins were up by two TDs in the 4th (after Darryl Grant's INT for a TD) and had the ball. Gibbs kept calling in a certain running play but the O-line kept overruling him, running a different play that went at Randy White. They didn't score on that drive but ate up a lot of clock.

Barney B   

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/05/joe_jacobys_bachelor_party_and.html

Pollin: Let's talk about the Cowboys games, because as legend has it, to close out the NFC championship game, kill the clock, you ran 50 Gut, or 70 Chip....

Jacoby/Bostic: We ran 50 gut nine times.

Czaban: Nine times? In a row?

Jacoby: And we told 'em. They were told.

Bostic: They were told the last seven times. I told Randy White. You know, I love Russ, and 50 Gut, big Jake's on Harvey Martin, and Randy White's on Russ, and the two of us are double teaming him to the linebacker. And the first time we're in the huddle, Trips Left, 50 Gut on white. Trips Left, Fake [something], 50 Gut on white. Third time, Spread Left, 50 Gut on white. I was like, man, there's a theme here. Were we arrogant Jake? Were we arrogant?

Jacoby: At that moment, yes, we got arrogant.

Bostic: Anyway, I had to speak to Randy White before the play started the third time. And I told him, I said 'Our coaching staff loves you, they're running over you again.' And then the fourth time I said, 'Hey, they called your number again! They called it again!'

Jacoby: And the interesting thing about that, after we kept running through about six or seven of them, there was nothing they could do to stop it. Their defensive line coach was Ernie Stautner, God rest his soul. Well, he's on their sideline, we're close to their sideline, he's on his knees yelling and screaming at them to dig in. Those are the great memories that I have of it. We're lining up, and it's coming again guys, and they couldn't do anything.

• Like 9

This is why you don't skimp on the OL.  Yeah it's now a passing league, but ask Don Coryell about rubbing the clock out with Dan Fouts's arm.  Eight minutes pounding the ball on the ground -- that's worth a defensive stop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petedaddy said:

Not only amazing footage, but wow summerall and Madden were the best

One of my earliest Redskins memories is how much Madden loved Gary Clark (my favorite at the time)

The best part is right at the end all the chaos with 12 seconds left on the clock, Cowboys players already in the locker room, defeated and humiliated suffering their third straight NFC Championship loss, this one to their bitter rival.  Then 10 mins or so when they have to come back on the field to finish the game, it starts pouring rain on them :rofl89:

10 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

The best part is right at the end all the chaos with 12 seconds left on the clock, Cowboys players already in the locker room, defeated and humiliated suffering their third straight NFC Championship loss, this one to their bitter rival.  Then 10 mins or so when they have to come back on the field to finish the game, it starts pouring rain on them :rofl89:

I miss those days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Not sure what game you are referring to, but in the 1982 NFCCG against Dallas, the Skins were up by two TDs in the 4th (after Darryl Grant's INT for a TD) and had the ball. Gibbs kept calling in a certain running play but the O-line kept overruling him, running a different play that went at Randy White. They didn't score on that drive but ate up a lot of clock.

4 hours ago, Barney B said:

Opps  looks like I was too late!  lolOh well, good enough video to watch twice!! 

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=we+want+dallas&qpvt=we+want+dallas&view=detail&mid=5ACCC72F3DB24833E3C35ACCC72F3DB24833E3C3&FORM=VRDGAR

Edited by goskins10

11 hours ago, DCStrangler said:

Sometime during the heyday of the 80s, the Skins had a comfortable lead with about 8 or so minutes left in the game and the Skins had the ball.  Gibbs called a running play over and over to run the clock, and in the process they eventually punched it in.

What game was this?  I think the running back was either Otis Wonsley or Nick Giaquinto.  I really want to find video of this series.  It was one of the ultimate "F U.  Stop us" moments I have ever witnessed.

I think there probably are a number of games during the glory years that fit your description, mentioning the name Nick Giaquinto immediately made me think you are referring to the 1983 game against the Cardinals at RFK.

4th Quarter with 11:06 remaining Redskins up 38-7

Redskins have the ball after a punt by St. Louis at their own 25.

Here is the drive:

9yd run by Joe Washington

3yd run by Joe Washington

20yd run by Joe Washington

11yd run by Nick Giaquinto

10yd run by Nick Giaquinto

10yd run by Nick Giaquinto

4yd run by Nick Giaquinto

5yd run by Nick Giaquinto

1yd run by Nick Giaquinto

1yd run by Nick Giaquinto

1yd run by Nick Giaquinto (Touchdown)

11 running plays, chewed up 7min 36 secs

Here is the drive itself. I don't know how long the powers that be will allow it to stay.

One of my favorite quotes from that video an game was Russ Grimm when talking about having just beaten the Vikings:

"They said we were the Hogs and they were the butchers. But one thing they forgot is before you butcher a hog someone's got to kill it!"

2 hours ago, scruffylookin said:

Here is the drive itself. I don't know how long the powers that be will allow it to stay.

Loved seeing the appearance by Chief at about 4:20.  Rest in Power, old friend. 

• Like 2