Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 ES GM's Mock Draft is now in the books. FULL details in the OP.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

3 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

I currently have at least 5 names for my udfa wish list.

Still some talent out there gents.

Thinking of adding a straight yes/no poll as regards PFA's just for the GM's as to whether we should add a few rounds to the end of the draft on those as Monk suggested. 

Hopefully get a consensus decision. 

Hail. 

I still think the first come first served method appeals to me most. 

Open window for 8 hours. Each GM submits one name. Tiebreakers are awarded to whoever posted first. A running list of who has been claimed will be updated as quickly as possible. The open window allows for any GM to pass rather quickly, claim a player and disappear into the ether. 

1 minute ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I still think the first come first served method appeals to me most. 

Open window for 8 hours. Each GM submits one name. Tiebreakers are awarded to whoever posted first. A running list of who has been claimed will be updated as quickly as possible. The open window allows for any GM to pass rather quickly, claim a player and disappear into the ether. 

How many selections do you propose? And when do you make your next? When every team has had a first option?

Bounce me over a full plan and I'll put it up for a vote.

Hail. 

I thought in the past we just named a list of guys we'd look at as guys we felt should have been drafted or we'd sign as UDFAs

We don't necessarily "get" them and it doesn't matter if someone else has them listed too.

Just kind of a watch list of guys you would have drafted if you had more picks.

4 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

I thought in the past we just named a list of guys we'd look at as guys we felt should have been drafted or we'd sign as UDFAs

We don't necessarily "get" them and it doesn't matter if someone else has them listed too.

Just kind of a watch list of guys you would have drafted if you had more picks.

While I get the desire to somehow add UDFAs to the mix, trying to keep track and assign UDFAs to teams would be a logistical nightmare. Unlike the drafted players, UDFAs can sign with anyone. There is no hierarchy in the real draft. It's not even first come first serve. If more than one team wants a players they get to decide where to go.  

So, I agree with Epochalypse. Adding a small list of who your next 5 or so were to what your UDFA targets would be to your final draft results might be interesting. It's likely the players would be on several teams short list and that's OK.

Lastly, other than pure curiosity I am not sure how you would measure it.

5 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

How many selections do you propose? And when do you make your next? When every team has had a first option?

Bounce me over a full plan and I'll put it up for a vote.

Hail. 

Well, I guess my first thought is, in the big picture, each GM gets, at the maximum, ONE player per each open window.

The timeframe would be ... IDK, 8 hours (from 9 AM to 5pm EST), or 10 hours (from 9AM to 7pm EST). +4/5 for all GMT. 

Additionally, if one's first choice is gone, or you happen to post 1 minute after another GM who claimed your guy, the GM gets to continue, submitting just one name, until the GM gets their one guy. 

So the minimum and the maximum in an 8 hour period is one player. If the GM doesn't want to pick, of course all the GMs can simply abstain. Or, if a GM pops in and tries to get a player already claimed and they disappear, tough ****. 

Now, I understand this is more involved than just driving bye and leaving a list of 5 to 10 players and saying 'peace out.'

But I believe it not only adds the thought factor for each GM, having to prioritize one player like they would with a draft pick, but it also adds competition to our mock draft the same way that in real life there is competition between the clubs for getting a player. 

It's not true to real life in the sense that UDRFAs get to ultimately pick the team they go to, but it adds the incentive to our GMs to make their list, pick out a clear #1 guy, then prompt get to the thread when the open window commences, and claim the player.  

So, you could make it 4 consecutive back to back days. 4 open window periods. Therefore the total number of players any one GM/Team can get is four, at the end of all undrafted windows. 

A GM could theoretically miss out on Days 1 through 3 and show up Day 4 and still get an UDRFA of their liking. Or they could show up Day 1, get the somebody they want and then check out for the rest.

The logic behind the one player at a time is so that no one GM can show up and leave a laundry list of 10 players and claim them all up before someone else.

Also, this is different than GMs just popping in and saying here's who I like that remains. IDK, you might get 10 GMs doing that, and what happens when one player is liked by all GMs, there's a unanimous group hug next April? 

In this format, you actually get to claim a guy. So there's like, real decisions making between should I take the local DT or the headcase WR from across the country? 

like the draft itself, is an opportunity for a GM to actually add a player to their list of "draft picks" 

The logic of the open window is so that there is uniformity of opportunity for each GM. No matter if a GM shows up at 9 AM versus a GM a 4:59 PM, the opportunity is equal at 4:59 PM to get just ONE player ... like it was at 9 AM.

Of course the pool of available players could be depleted, that's why having a master list and getting in promptly is recommended. But this caters to people's different schedules. 

Maybe you'd like to augment some of the details here ...? 

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

As in?

Hail. 

Not sure what your question is. I will take a guess but it's probably wrong. With the draft you can at least measure where your guy was taken vs. the regular draft. No way to do that with UDFAs.

Just now, goskins10 said:

Not sure what your question is. I will take a guess but it's probably wrong. With the draft you can at least measure where your guy was taken vs. the regular draft. No way to do that with UDFAs.

Oh, ok. I get that. I think all that ultimately matters is how a player does in the league and whether he's stuck when you look back on this in three years or so. 

But I get why it's fun to see where players actually go. 

Hail. 

16 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

While I get the desire to somehow add UDFAs to the mix, trying to keep track and assign UDFAs to teams would be a logistical nightmare.

Not sure I follow. A GM comes in, claims John Johnson at 9 AM. It's listed in the OP, same as a draft pick. The team is indicated right next to it. 

You come in at 12 pm, you claim John Johnson, moderators tell you "hey dude, player was already claimed." You then claim Jackson Jackson. So, you get Jackson Jackson. It's listed in the OP under your team name. 

You get one player at a time. 

Unlike the drafted players, UDFAs can sign with anyone. There is no hierarchy in the real draft. It's not even first come first serve. If more than one team wants a players they get to decide where to go.

And since we can't recreate that dynamic, at all, in any sense, what is the more logistical nightmare? Having us role play, being the player in question? Or having a scenario where each GM gets an opportunity to claim one player at a time, therefore separating the GMs who know something others don't, or at least making it so that the ONE player liked by all 32 GMs ultimately goes to only ONE team ... like in real life. 

So, I agree with Epochalypse. Adding a small list of who your next 5 or so were to what your UDFA targets would be to your final draft results might be interesting. It's likely the players would be on several teams short list and that's OK.

Group hug? 

I mean, I get it. 

But ... that's no different than me saying to GHH, "hey, I really like Blair Brown." But that doesn't mean I get to claim him as one of my drafted players come next April. 

Lastly, other than pure curiosity I am not sure how you would measure it.

Same as any other draft pick here, just for bragging rights. I mean, if your 3rd rounder ends up being cut at the 53, it's somewhat embarrassing. But if your 1st choice UDRFA ends up having a Chris Horton year ... kudos, props, "Big Up." 

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am not really interested in continuing on with UDFA. I will post the guys I would target once the draft is over. But at this point I have to get back to my "real life" :)

Huh? We all thought with the way you'd been drafting you'd never your 'real' outside of to pop in and grab a name? :P .

Hail. 

Just now, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Oh, ok. I get that. I think all that ultimately matters is how a player does in the league and whether he's stuck when you look back on this in three years or so. 

But I get why it's fun to see where players actually go. 

Hail. 

I don't disagree. It would be interesting to see what teams ultimately sign players. But us trying to assign them would be very arbitrary. For me adding your wish list to your final draft would be enough.

I still believe the assigning to teams and tracking would be a nightmare. But if someone wants to do it, then cool.

2 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

..... But ... that's no different than me saying to GHH, "hey, I really like Blair Brown." But that doesn't mean I get to claim him as one of my drafted players come next April. 

Smart Texans draft stud LB's. 

The rest work for Houston. :D .

Hail. 

2 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Not sure I follow. A GM comes in, claims John Johnson at 9 AM. It's listed in the OP, same as a draft pick. The team is indicated right next to it. 

Same as any other draft pick here, just for bragging rights. I mean, if your 3rd rounder ends up being cut at the 53, it's somewhat embarrassing. But if your 1st choice UDRFA ends up having a Chris Horton year ... kudos, props, "Big Up." 

I just offered my thoughts. I honestly believe it will be a logistical nightmare keeping track of who wants who and when they were submitted. Maybe I am wrong. More importantly, I am not out to stop anyone. Feel free to continue. For me, I do not see the value beyond adding your list of targets to see who gets picked up.

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I just offered my thoughts. I honestly believe it will be a logistical nightmare keeping track of who wants who and when they were submitted.

So, this website separates posts per users. Like your post above, the one I'm quoting here, has a timestamp. And even if it didn't have a timestamp. it appears above my post.

All that is being indicated is that your post proceeds mine.  

That is how you determine who got here first. 

Maybe I am wrong. More importantly, I am not out to stop anyone. Feel free to continue. For me, I do not see the value beyond adding your list of targets to see who gets picked up.

Like, I'm not even invested in this. So ... there's that. 

But, I was trying to lay out a simple framework for how folks can continue to "get" a player, someone they would have liked to have drafted, if the draft had continued into Rounds 8, 9, 10. 

So, to cater to people who clearly have different schedule, to cater to people who clearly are done, exhausted, mentally spent, or just tired of interacting with the 32 of us and need to get back to popping onto ES once a week, this is why I offered up the "open window" notion. 

It would allow someone to come in, whenever, in a 10 hour window and claim "John Johnson." If it doesn't mean anything to you ultimately, or other GMs, and you lose out on the player, no skin off your nose. Maybe I don't care and I won't even participate. Who knows. 

But the point is, if John Johnson was already claimed by another GM, it mirrors real life ...

Follow me here:

I claim John Johnson before you. You don't get him even though you thought you did ... the timestamp says I won. The next day you find out you "lost" John Johnson. That is similar to ... somewhat like real life ... where John Johnson chose my team over your team. 

Just some ideas. 

31 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

As always, I'll pass on UDFA...

Naturally. You pass on the actual draft so why in the heck would you change for any addition? 

I admire you consistent obliviousness to the process Frenchie! :D .

So what I'm taking from all of this is I need to somehow get above Houston in the 7th to bag me this stud John Johnson righ?

Hail. 

3 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

So, this website separates posts per users. Like your post above, the one I'm quoting here, has a timestamp. And even if it didn't have a timestamp. it appears above my post.

All that is being indicated is that your post proceeds mine.  

That is how you determine who got here first. 

Like, I'm not even invested in this. So ... there's that. 

edit

Just some ideas. 

Ok, only for the sake of argument - 32 teams submit a list of 6 players. The person keeping track has to order each person by time, then take their first player. Then the next. But what happens when the players are not in the same order. You can't reorder as it removes the priority of the GM. If you do it one at a time. This would mean the person organizing would have to track each round, each player. And when do you stop?

I appreciate your passion here but I am not going to change my mind. It just seems like an extra level of complexity that will be hard to manage. If someone wants to do it, have at it. I hope it works. Again, while I disagree I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Ok, only for the sake of argument - 32 teams submit a list of 6 players.

Let me stop you right there. I haven't even read the rest of your post. 

That's not what is being proposed. 

ONE PLAYER per GM. 

ONE.

No list of 6 players. That's an invalid submission. X out. 

5 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Let me stop you right there. I haven't even read the rest of your post. 

That's not what is being proposed. 

ONE PLAYER per GM. 

ONE.

No list of 6 players. That's an invalid submission. X out. 

Please don't take it personal man. I was not trying to be an ass. Just offering my thoughts.

I did not see it was just one player. Still not in favor of it as in reality teams sign quite a few URFAs. But again, if you want to do it, then do it. I am not trying to stop anyone.

The person keeping track has to order each person by time, then take their first player. Then the next. But what happens when the players are not in the same order. You can't reorder as it removes the priority of the GM.

I think I answered this. Each GM can only submit one player at a time.

ALL GMs are limited to being awarded only one player per open window period. 

Each GM can continue to claim a player until they get ONE that has not been claimed. So, in the event you try to claim a player already picked up, you get another chance within that same open window period. 

If you are thwarted like ... 10 times ... ****, unlucky you are. 

If you do it one at a time. This would mean the person organizing would have to track each round, each player. And when do you stop?

So, the framework was an open window period from 9 AM to 5 PM. Anybody who comes in within those hours can submit a claim on one player. If outside the hours, tough ****. 

I appreciate your passion here but I am not going to change my mind.

So, here is where I need to just stop quoting you, right? 

I mean ... I ... I'm not trying to change your mind. I guess I don't see why this is so difficult. 

The most worst case scenario is that all 32 GMs arrive at the same time, 9 AM, and they each claim the same player. Then subsequently when the player is officially named to the 1st team that claimed him, we repeated ... 31 claiming the same player ... 30 claiming the same player, on and on. 

I just don't see that happening. 

It just seems like an extra level of complexity that will be hard to manage. If someone wants to do it, have at it. I hope it works. Again, while I disagree I could be wrong.

It seems I'm swimming against the tide. 

FYI, my UDRFA list is something like 20 to 25 players. If I actually post it at the end of the draft, what are the chances anyone actually reads? The chances anyone even cares?

I'm going with 12% and <1%. 

1 minute ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

FYI, my UDRFA list is something like 20 to 25 players. If I actually post it at the end of the draft, what are the chances anyone actually reads? The chances anyone even cares?

Belvedere reads EVERYTHING! Belvedere CARES! 

Belvedere has a job to do! 

Hail. 

Archived