jphilly

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

1,730 posts in this topic

He succeeded in getting a mass of clicks for his new outlet in a time where there are more media reporters than stories. It screams of desperation to me in an effort to get SOMETHING out of an organization that is being so tight lipped. He used a terrible premise and speculation to force the front offices hand into giving them a statement/comment they can run with to create 10 stories off of a one sentence remark. 

Here are the facts:

The Washington Redskins have had two winning seasons since he became GM.

He stated we would be ready to compete in year 3.

Drinking isn't against the law.

A death in his family has been verified.

Nobody on this message board is qualified to run an NFL team in ANY aspect, but please, keep pretending you are.

The team really would not be so "dramatic" in most of your eyes, if you didn't participate in the drama.

Instead of accusing him of drinking again, you might as well accuse him of being the zodiac killer.

I mean, you have the exact same amount of evidence of both, and that's ZERO.

17 people like this

3 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I think they are using Grandma's death to cover up SM's drinking problem....they probably told him to get help, but don't want to make it public.

If any of this is true, it's gonna come out.  Especially now with people sniffing around.  Trying to continue to cover it up will only make it worse now.  

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

The fact that everyone is here, the press is here, agents trying to reach out to you to tell you how their guy is great and would be a great fit for Joe Barry's Defense 4-3 in Washington alongside David Bruton.

Yes, that is some freaking huge Public Relation job. Which is Bruce's courtyard. The guy loves that, and he'll be here.

It's more of a PR job than anything else. He won't have a real feeling of 'being in the same room with the prospect, a few feet away from him' but besides that? Not missing a thing. It'll be quickly forgotten.

I think you're underselling the interview process.  Ozzie Newsome talked about it and it's not just about Q&A.  Agents prep players on how to answer questions.  It's the presence of an individual as he enters the room.  He said you could tell who a true badass (the good kind) was and who wasn't based off that.  And you have the opportunity to interview 60 guys.  I heard another GM say players rarely move up the board after the combine, they more then likely move down it or off it.  Part of that's from the medical piece and the drug testing, and it's also from the interviews.

Oh and one more thing for those saying Scot missing the Senior Bowl or Combine isn't a big deal, his two drafts here overall haven't been that great.  Maybe he needs to be at these things.

5 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

Instead of accusing him of drinking again, you might as well accuse him of being the zodiac killer

Everybody knows Ted Cruz is the zodiac killer.

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:

If any of this is true, it's gonna come out.  Especially now with people sniffing around.  Trying to continue to cover it up will only make it worse now.  

Meh, doesn't mean the truth will be accepted.  "Yeah, his grandma died, but can you account for 2:35 AM three Wednesdays ago?  Do you have video evidence from seventeen different angles that you were NOT drinking?  With a sworn affidavit?  You know, if you just gave us the drama we've been used to for 20 years instead of this BS functional team, then we wouldn't be having this discussion . . ."

1 person likes this

50 minutes ago, TK said:

Worse. He's a Giants fan.

Yup. Not from here or a fan. He's here because it's easy to troll redskins fans and you can get paid to do it.

Frankly, if the redskins front office is running as a smooth, cohesive unit all on the same page and this is all just media hype trying to get something then frankly I approve of the silence. Their job is to field the best team they can and not worry about how fans see things in the offseason.

secondly, we all knew Scot wouldn't be our GM for too long so perhaps this is his way of allowing his staff and potential predecessor to get their feet wet in terms of coming up with their own evaluation. As someone said, the combine is overrated and all for show and I agree. Film tape against competition shows much more than running a straight line does. Frankly what does it matter how fast a 300lbs DT can run the 40m shuttle? If we are in a position where Chris Baker has to run 40m then we're in trouble.

Look at what's happened since the season ended...

1) Gruden talks about drafting a Guard and a WR who didn't play at his season ending presser...at the time I thought there was something off about that.

2) SM is not allowed to speak

3) Jerry Brewer and Jason Cole articles.

4) Granny gate

There is no way that everything is fine

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

secondly, we all knew Scot wouldn't be our GM for too long 

Image result for wait what meme

Cant blame all this crap on the recently deceased grand mother. **** me I find that a twisted thing to hide behind.

On a personal level, hopefully Scot Mc is on the right track. On a football level, this debacle simply isn't good enough.

1 person likes this

Just now, Reaper Skins said:

I don't really think the plan from the beginning was for him to be he longer than say 4-5 years.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Cant blame all this crap on the recently deceased grand mother. **** me I find that a twisted thing to hide behind.

What crap, detective?

If only Amazon coulda held off their server issues a few days longer.....

10 people like this

I wonder if they used the Grandmother death as an excuse not thinking that people would search for her obituary and find out she died 3 weeks ago?

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

Instead of accusing him of drinking again, you might as well accuse him of being the zodiac killer.

I mean, you have the exact same amount of evidence of both, and that's ZERO.

The zodiac killers first victim was in 1968 and scott m was born in 1971 so ummmmm.

Lol.

Edited by redskinss

3 minutes ago, TK said:

If only Amazon coulda held off their server issues a few days longer.....

I was jonesing so bad to talk cousins talk when he signed the extension. I would have had a meltdown if the outage was still happening.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

What crap, detective?

My mistake. There is clearly no crap or anything to see here. :nono:

1 person likes this

Just now, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My mistake. There is clearly no crap or anything to see here. :nono:

I mean, im always willing to see the light, so long as something tangible is presented

6 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I wonder if they used the Grandmother death as an excuse not thinking that people would search for her obituary and find out she died 3 weeks ago?

Scot used that excuse directly to reporters. The team was vague with a generic family matter line. Scot told 106.7 he skipped the combine because h was arranging the funeral for his grandmother. He was caught in a direct lie. This is on Scot making it worse.

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

Scot used that excuse directly to reporters. The team was vague with a generic family matter line. Scot told 106.7 he skipped the combine because h was arranging the funeral for his grandmother. He was caught in a direct lie. This is on Scot making it worse.

Right...I meant whoever used the grandma as a reason....Would make even more sense that Scot would not think that people would be searching for her obituary

Just now, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Right...I meant whoever used the grandma as a reason....Would make even more sense that Scot would not think that people would be searching for her obituary

People tend not to think things through when they are drunk...

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I mean, im always willing to see the light, so long as something tangible is presented

Why you wasting time in this 35 page thread then? 

In some capacity some crap is happening. Or do you think there isn't and all is well in the world? And per my post which you quoted, it isn't the fault of the recently decease 100 year old grand mother.

Although if it turns out to be true and it is her fault, well that's quite a story.

Also per my post you quoted, hopefully Scot Mc is doing good.

Posted (edited)

Its alarming that our GM, a "scouting guru" is not at the combine. There is no other way to spin it. Sure, its a dog and pony show but one that is important still. How is Scotty Mac supposed to look prospects in the eye and see the passion in their hearts and the fire in their bellies without actually being there? According to him, that was the most important part since judging actual talent was easy. So yes, this is alarming.

Something is going on beyond the released information. Maybe it ends up being nothing, maybe it's a power play, maybe he fell off the wagon when Crown Vanilla came out and has been running around Redskins Park in his underwear, who knows?

But to act like this whole scenario is perfectly fine or just something a reporter pulled out of his ass for rainy day giggles and clicks is ignorant. 

None of this is normal and as often with this team, if it rips your heart out, it's probably true. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
5 people like this

I don't want to speculate, but I think he is not going the combine because he is getting drunk with his grandmother and watching the combine on t.v.