jphilly

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

Recommended Posts

jphilly   

This does not sound very good . Seems like not everyone is on the same page , might be the reason why there has not been much info coming out of Redskins land

 

 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/09/report-bruce-allen-wont-let-scot-mccloughan-talk-to-media/

 

Report: Bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 9, 2017, 7:04 PM EST

 

Not everyone is seeing eye to eye in Washington, and we’re not just talking about the Democrats and the Republicans.

General Manager Scot McCloughan has team President Bruce Allen breathing down his neck, the Washington Post reports. That includes Allen not allowing McCloughan to talk to reporters either at the Senior Bowl or at the Scouting Combine, where most general managers do talk to the media.

That report comes as part of a longer story that describes the team as “uneasy,” “nervous” and “desperate” after missing the playoffs last season. The story suggests that there’s discord on a coaching staff that has lost both coordinators this offseason, that there’s disagreement about how valuable quarterback Kirk Cousins is, and that McCloughan, Allen and coach Jay Gruden could all be fired after the 2017 season if the team doesn’t improve.

Reporters would surely like to ask McCloughan about all of that. Apparently they won’t get the chance.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knew this was going to be interpreted in all sorts of click-baity ways by the media.

 

The explanation seems pretty simple to me: McCloughan is way too honest about our plans when a mic's on him. He's a straight shooter and there's some subtle **** going on right now. 

 

Can't think of another reason, Snyder and Allen being pissed the defense was allowed to be so untalented isn't a reason to keep Scot away from the media.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jphilly   
8 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

GMSM shouldn't be talking to the media. This offseason determines his fate.

 

yes and no .  There is quite a bit of changes this coming season for you guys . After having 2 really decent seasons in a row  it would not be good to regress right now .  I would think Jays job is safe as a outside perspective he has done well  . But I dont see him after 2018 if there is no Post season wins  at least getting to NFCC game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jphilly said:

 

yes and no .  There is quite a bit of changes this coming season for you guys . After having 2 really decent seasons in a row  it would not be good to regress right now .  I would think Jays job is safe as a outside perspective he has done well  . But I dont see him after 2018 if there is no Post season wins  at least getting to NFCC game 

When you have $85M and coming off back to back seasons, anything about a deep run to the playoffs will be something to talk about firings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jphilly   

How many franchises have to institute a gag order with their GM?  I dont seem to think any off the top of my head .  Its not as big of  a deal as some will make it .  It was slow week in the NFL .   Im stil suprised NFL.com did not take shots at Kirk for charity event shenanigans .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The explanation seems pretty simple to me: McCloughan is way too honest about our plans when a mic's on him. He's a straight shooter and there's some subtle **** going on right now. 

 It's surprising how blunt GMSM has been to the media.  Most of it was general without much to read into, but I like the gag order.  Don't give any other teams any idea what direction we are heading with our next moves.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just more nonsense from the media. Could very easily be that McC simply would rather handle the roster, and leave Bruce to the media stuff. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd think Scot WANTS to talk to the media or something judging by Mike Jones's article. Dude is probably thanking Bruce for that. :ols: 

 

Let's be clear here. Mike Jones doesn't even say the usual "according to anonymous sources" when he claims that Allen is "breathing down" Scot's "neck". It's straight up speculation. 

 

I think it's safe to assume that everyone in Redskins Park is unhappy about how they finished and want to knock this offseason out of the park. 

 

Making it like there's some war going on just sounds like the media grasping for straws because it's been super quiet and they're probably pissed it's going to remain so with Scot not being available either. 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure everything's hunky-dory in Snyder's latest regime. The red flags like this are just pure speculation. Nothing to see here. Those puddles on the deck are from the rain; no sinking ship here.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the lowest hanging fruit in the world. Nothing going g on? Find a way to blame Snyder. A couple teammates bickering? Blame Snyder. Healthy disagreement between execs? Blame Snyder. People put in position to do specific tasks, but fail? Snyder must have interfered.

 

Nothing is coincidence. Everything is a conspiracy. Same old nonsense.

 

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jphilly   
Just now, thesubmittedone said:

 

Did you really expect to get away with those? :ols: 

 

worth a shot :P 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onedrop   

What an absolute garbage piece of pulp writing. Straight up negative sensationalism. Statements start with a seemingly positive fact only to be turned to the negative by a assumption, guess,  or Jones simply telling the readers to feel bad.......

 

"Manusky does have a more-extensive defensive coordinator résumé than Barry, but it remains to be seen if he can get the job done"

 

Really? How astounding. While I am currently typing away on this tablet it remains to be seen if I will end this sentence with a period. 

 

He also mentions that Barry was "sacrificed" due to poor talent on the D but later says we shouldn't feel good about the chances of finding good starters. Never has there been a bigger strawman. If what we had sucked we have no choice but to try new players. 

 

He cites so many; sources around the league, team insiders, close to and familiar with the situation, etc one wonders if there's anyone left Jones DIDN'T speak to.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

I'm sure everything's hunky-dory in Snyder's latest regime. The red flags like this are just pure speculation. Nothing to see here. Those puddles on the deck are from the rain; no sinking ship here.

 

Other than the fact that it confirms peoples' worst fears and scratches that crazy unhappy Redskins fan itch, what in the article seems realistic to you? Where's any evidence whatsoever? 

 

The media hasn't had a clue what's going on behind the scenes or in player acquisition since McCloughan got here, but all of a sudden a notoriously negative and inflammatory writer has the scoop of the offseason? Please.

 

It's not surprising Scot isn't talking to the media because he isn't built for it. He's a GM in name only--he deals purely in personnel, he's a super scout with a title and I'm sure that was part of the appeal when he took the job. Allen handles most of the other official stuff--not just the ceremonies and the media appearances, not just being the buffer between the owner and the FO and coaching staff--he even works the damn phones for trade talks during the draft. And Schaffer is the contract guru so other than having a say in cap budgeting (I assume) and who is pursued, Scot doesn't even really mess with the money aspect either. He's just a scout with a big paycheck and final say, and I think that's how he likes it after his stint in SF.

 

It's no wonder that after being (arguably) very candid last year, Allen wouldn't want Scot in front of the media for our biggest offseason in a while. And it's no wonder, knowing his history, why Scot probably doesn't mind (though that's speculation on my part, he clearly doesn't like being in front of the media other than the opportunity to talk football).

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if this story is somewhat true, maybe just maybe Allen is going on the old  adage," Loose lips sink ships" . keeping Scott from tipping information about roster moves and such. In my mind, Scott Mcloughan  does not portray the knack of speaking out of turn or engage in  lose talk. Scot has been around for awhile,

and would keep his cards close to his chest. This article seems to be rather negative about the Skins in general, the mention of the swing and a miss on free agency from last years free agency  really doesn't hold water. Scott Mcloughanis is not a big participant in free agency, yeah there was the Norman deal, but Scott Mcloughan basically swears off free agency. The poaching of our Offensive coordinator is a given in the NFL , and all of a sudden its gloom and doom for the Skins on losing their O coordinator. Keeping quiet and unassuming keeps people wondering , so these same wondering minds speculate and delve in to speculation. Hail:eagles_suck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jphilly   

there is another article from a week ago about it as well   

 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/redskins-washington-gm-scot-mccloughan-success

 

Scot McCloughan had a reputation as perhaps the NFL’s best talent evaluator when the Redskins hired him off his farm two years ago. He’d help build the Seahawks’ Super Bowl championship roster after some spectacular drafting with the 49ers in the late aughts.

Apparently, he’s not so great with the media. Or at least that’s what the Redskins want us to think.

more info in link 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The WAPO article is presumptuous on almost every level and takes the negative view in every scenario posited. There are so many ways to come off as balanced in this "state of affairs" piece and he accomplishes his goal of being a total jerk.

 

It's a long road ahead for us to take that next step. Time to block out the haters and get it done.

 

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ The best thing that came out of the above link was another link to this: 

 

 

I don't know how I just saw this, it was tweeted last month. :ols: 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to side with the idea that Scott is busy scouting and doing his job, and Bruce is busy doing his job as our pr man.

 

I do see where this story could have some legs. What if Scott doesn't want to Pay Kirk record breaking money? I mean "I don't want to break the bank for one player" was said last season before he low balled out qb at 16 mil a season. What if he still feels that way? What if he really believes in some kid in the draft? Or maybe Alex smith leaving KC? 

 

I have not been on the "don't pay him" side of things but I think it isn't unreasonable to think maybe Scot feels differently and more along the lines of the "don't pay him" crowd? I mean for as much talking in circles and general consesous for wanting to pay Kirk. What if our gm isn't thinking at all like us. 

 

There has been a lot of bullish opinions on the subject of Kirk and a LTD here at ES. Maybe some of these same arguments are being made from our front office too? I think soo many of us want him signed soo bad that it's almost as if even thinking Kirk could be gone has to be unbelievable and/or far fetched. 

 

Either Kirk gets the deal soon or this whole thing gets really weird...

Edited by Rattlesnake88
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jphilly   
45 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

I am going to side with the idea that Scott is busy scouting and doing his job, and Bruce is busy doing his job as our pr man.

 

I do see where this story could have some legs. What if Scott doesn't want to Pay Kirk record breaking money? I mean "I don't want to break the bank for one player" was said last season before he low balled out qb at 16 mil a season. What if he still feels that way? What if he really believes in some kid in the draft? Or maybe Alex smith leaving KC? 

 

I have not been on the "don't pay him" side of things but I think it isn't unreasonable to think maybe Scot feels differently and more along the lines of the "don't pay him" crowd? I mean for as much talking in circles and general consesous for wanting to pay Kirk. What if our gm isn't thinking at all like us. 

 

There has been a lot of bullish opinions on the subject of Kirk and a LTD here at ES. Maybe some of these same arguments are being made from our front office too? I think soo many of us want him signed soo bad that it's almost as if even thinking Kirk could be gone has to be unbelievable and/or far fetched. 

 

Either Kirk gets the deal soon or this whole thing gets really weird...

 

The longer there is no news it will only be worse with speculation . It really doe make you think  about if they want to really pay him . They didnt want to pay him last year now KIrk will command anywhere from 4-8 million more from last year .  Im glad Im not the one that has to make that choice . Im in the crowd of pay the guy setup contract to be able to get out in year 2 . ALthough that could be the problem in Kirk's camp  that they refuse it . THen the FO has to decide if one guy is worth it and move on.

 

With that being said  It might not just be a QB issue . It could be a HC issue at this point .... If the FO is starting to think about life after Jay Boy then you have to think about not giving Kirk a LTD  because a new HC will want his guy . You cant handicap a HC and tell him this is your QB make it work  if Kirk is not the guy a new HC wants . That could be another reason for Tag as a prove it for Jay and Kirk  but I dont think Kirk stays if he is tagged again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

Other than the fact that it confirms peoples' worst fears and scratches that crazy unhappy Redskins fan itch, what in the article seems realistic to you? Where's any evidence whatsoever? 

 

The media hasn't had a clue what's going on behind the scenes or in player acquisition since McCloughan got here, but all of a sudden a notoriously negative and inflammatory writer has the scoop of the offseason? Please.

 

It's not surprising Scot isn't talking to the media because he isn't built for it. He's a GM in name only--he deals purely in personnel, he's a super scout with a title and I'm sure that was part of the appeal when he took the job. Allen handles most of the other official stuff--not just the ceremonies and the media appearances, not just being the buffer between the owner and the FO and coaching staff--he even works the damn phones for trade talks during the draft. And Schaffer is the contract guru so other than having a say in cap budgeting (I assume) and who is pursued, Scot doesn't even really mess with the money aspect either. He's just a scout with a big paycheck and final say, and I think that's how he likes it after his stint in SF.

 

It's no wonder that after being (arguably) very candid last year, Allen wouldn't want Scot in front of the media for our biggest offseason in a while. And it's no wonder, knowing his history, why Scot probably doesn't mind (though that's speculation on my part, he clearly doesn't like being in front of the media other than the opportunity to talk football).

 

 

You're right, nothing to see here. I love how you blast the media for being negative/speculative (weird pattern, that; can't be the team, just all the people who cover them), and then go on to provide your own idea of events which are ALL SPECULATIVE! You know less than they do, I guarantee it. They might be wrong, but you'll always be wronger.

 

Bottom line, the team is a dysfunctional joke thanks to our owner. We'll see where it goes from here. To me, the article rings true. They're at a crossroads. Keep to the path and head towards success, or back to the same old same old. You want to play the same game of "now things are different!" go right ahead. Until I see real and sustained success, I'm not having it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.