Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whoa! What an incredible book review! Post 41

Burgold

My newest novel fittingly launches on April 1st.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5US02T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485808234&sr=8-1&keywords=A+Climbing+Stock

A Climbing Stock tells the story of John,  a man who is forced by his mother to sell the family business, who is tricked instead into exchanging it for 3,000 shares of a stock about to IPO. To everyone's surprise, the stock (Biomicroscopy Endoscopic, Arterial Neurosurgery or BEAN Stock for short) grows. Strangely, no one knows what the company does, who's behind it, or why the price possibly rose from 15 to 4,000 in the space of twenty-four hours. Investigations ensue and because John is the only person anyone can find associated with BEAN, he becomes the target of the FBI, FTC, etc.

In order to clear his name, he decides to get to the bottom of the BEAN Stock or perhaps the top. In doing so, he must battle corporate giants, dragons, and figure out how to fit a cow through a rainbow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To some, A Climbing Stock might seem familiar... well, there's a couple of reasons for that:

1) It's a fractured fairy tale retelling of a Jack story

2) It was first published in 2013, but the darned publisher went bankrupt 9 months in. He kept the rights and all the money until now. Apparently, my book was the only one making him any money.

3) Techboy is still owed a copy.

The book is for those who enjoy humor and fantasy. If you enjoyed the Princess Bride, Shrek, the Lego Movies, Muppets, and going really old school Bullwinkle you'll probably enjoy it. You have to like word play though. If you don't this novel may cause pain.

It's also guaranteed to make you really, really rich.

1 minute ago, Riggo-toni said:

Ah, I remember this. At one point I was going to buy it for my wife because she was teaching her AP history class about the 20s and the crash, and when I got to Amazon, it said No Longer Available.

Then now's your chance ;)

I was really frustrated with the behind the scenes stuff. The book made it to the top 25 of Amazon and stayed at around the level for a few months, but my publisher refused to send me numbers. Then, he refused to send me royalty checks. Then, he went into bankruptcy and refused to return the rights.

Artistically, it may be my biggest accomplishment and failure. What I'm really hoping for is a big swath of pre-order sales that jumps me pretty high onto the Amazon pecking order. That way certain algorithms will kick in. Then again, what I most want is for people to discover and love the book.

Thanks!

Current pre-sale stats:

On 1/30/2017 at 4:53 PM, Riggo-toni said:

Is there a way for me to pay for it to download to her kindle? We have seperate Amazon accounts.

I think so. When I have gifted books I think I sent the kindle link to a person's email and when they received it they clicked the link. 

On 1/30/2017 at 4:54 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

I have it from before, sorry you went through hell with your publisher. I'll write a review, or maybe I already did, I'll have to check.

Glad you're back!

4 hours ago, visionary said:

Bought and read it a few years ago, when I was on a trip.  Good stuff.  I still haven't gotten around to reading A Halo of Mushrooms yet, though I have it on my kindle.  

If you guy want to feel free to put a review for Climbing Stock here on Goodreads (If you remember it well enough. It was a few years ago.) I'd appreciate it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34076711-a-climbing-stock

Glad you both liked it! There's always a risk and a fear when you share especially with friends that you don't want to let down.

I'm rereading it now. I love tales with a modern up-to-date spin to the story. 

I'll review on Goodreads and Amazon when I finish, will be a few days. I just got the 50th Anniversary set of Perry Mason TV show, really good set.  The objective is to stay away from all things political.

A tick higher!

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: 

The book is scheduled for its official release on April Fool's Day which I thought fitting for a satire/fractured fairy tale. One thing that some have mentioned to me is that it seems apt for the times. The story from one perspective is about a corporate giant who tries to take power and the only thing standing in his way is a sluggish bureaucracy, a fool, and a whole lot of bull.

I don't really know if I want to push the parallel because I wrote this so many years before Trump and never had him in mind. Still, there is an odd fit to the book's re-release.

(Okay, a crass pitch... there's something called papering the seats in theater. Loosely, what it means is that on the day you know the critics are coming you bring all your friends and the loudest laughers you know so that they will see a good and appreciative house. I'm kind of trying to do this with the pre-sale. Apparently, all the sales that are made count as one mass sale on the release date... that means it's possible that a small fish like me can become a momentary best seller. I'm not sure how honest it is, but it seems to be a part of the game. Therefore,  if you think you might want this book and can afford three bucks I'd appreciate the buy. If you can't afford the three bucks PM me and I may be able to think of a nefarious solution ;) )

Thanks all.

https://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Stock-Andrew-Hiller-ebook/dp/B01N5US02T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486592226&sr=8-1&keywords=a+climbing+stock@PokerPacker suggested... helping this stock to climb.  

Amazon Best Sellers Rank:

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of cool. Pre-sales are 4 times better than for A Halo of Mushrooms

Thanks to all in ES who have pitched in. There is a chance on April when it launches I will be for a second ranked amongst the big boys.

•  

Okay, awesome author moment to share. I am tweeting this morning about mostly politics and silly hashtag humor when I respond to someone. I decide to check out her stream and she has a cool photo so I comment on it telling her that I like the use of lighting. She looks at some of my art and then tweets with "Are you the author of A Halo of Mushrooms!" Then, she's asking for my address and so she can mail me her copy and I can autograph it for her. She tells me how it was given to her as a gift during some dark days (serious stuff that I won't go into that she shared in a direct message) and that how my book of wonder really touched her and helped her get through it. 

I'm probably describing it poorly because I want to shield her a bit, but it really made my day that someone loved my book that much and that they believed it help them get through some really serious times. You put your work out there and you don't know how people will respond or even if they'll give it a chance and then a day like this comes along!

I have a fangirl lol and someone who thinks I'm famous lmao, but more somemone who really loved what I created. That's pretty amazing.

23 minutes ago, MondayNightCowboyKilla89 said:

The synopsis you wrote has me pretty intrigued to check it out. Congrats on getting it released after a lengthy delay

Thanks! If you do let me know whatcha think.

https://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Stock-Andrew-Hiller-ebook/dp/B01N5US02T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490812544&sr=8-1&keywords=A+Climbing+Stock

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:01 PM, Burgold said:

Okay, awesome author moment to share. I am tweeting this morning about mostly politics and silly hashtag humor when I respond to someone. I decide to check out her stream and she has a cool photo so I comment on it telling her that I like the use of lighting. She looks at some of my art and then tweets with "Are you the author of A Halo of Mushrooms!" Then, she's asking for my address and so she can mail me her copy and I can autograph it for her. She tells me how it was given to her as a gift during some dark days (serious stuff that I won't go into that she shared in a direct message) and that how my book of wonder really touched her and helped her get through it. 

That has to be just about the most rewarding experience an author can have.  Congrats, Andrew...

It was pretty wild, Dan. I think of myself as a pretty small fish. Sometimes, I think of myself as the stuff pretty small fish eat. So, even to be recognized is crazy, but to think that my work got her through something that involved hospitals, police, and courts and months of rehab is pretty mind blowing. 

You never know who you can touch or how they'll receive it. It was a pretty special moment.

Archived