Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSsports.com: Redskins Team Considered Best Ever

srtman04

42 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I remember too there was an episode of the Simpsons before the Superbowl where Lisa becomes a sports-betting guru and wins for Homer and the writers of the show had her pick the 'Skins to beat Buffalo.  Being a kid at the time I was already a fan of The Simpsons but that was a memorable moment from the early days of the show.

That was a season 3 episode entitled "Lisa the Greek". Below is one of the scenes where Homer is trying to get inside tips for his betting on games, including one of those 900 numbers that were all the rage at the time (pre-internet):

That season basically ushered out that dominant era of Joe Gibbs Redskins football. I know that we scraped together a playoff win the following year and went down swinging in the divisional round, but I don't truly believe we'd have given Dallas much of game even if we got to the NFC Championship Game. 

For me, the Gibbs era fit perfectly with my childhood. We won our first Super Bowl right before I turned 6 and won that final one right before I turned 15. That season was SO entertaining that I was all-in on it. But I was also getting to the age (freshman in high school) where life isn't as simple as playing with your friends and caring about football. I was playing high school sports, starting to care about girls more, etc. It was just so great to have that 10-year run during my elementary/middle school years. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to witness it again as an adult...but I don't think even a couple Super Bowls in my 40s could ever match the magical feeling of those 1980s Sundays. 

I tend to forget the 1991 team BECAUSE it was so good.  We were expected by almost everybody be good and some even expected it to be the best.  In August of '91, I pretty much EXPECTED the Redskins to at least be in the race, if not win it all.  In August '82, few expected the Redskins to even make noise, much less win the dance.  Many thought that when Dallas kicked our butts, the true Redskins had come back.

Great thread to reminisce.........

For the under 30 crowd, we understand and honestly sympathize with the state of Redskins football for the duration of your lifetime but this, THIS, is why when you are begging, whining and groveling for any sliver of success at any and all costs or compromising of age old traditions, the older crowd is rolling their collective eyes. 

THIS, is Redskins football. No excuses, take what you want, do what you will and screw everybody else.

20 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

I tend to forget the 1991 team BECAUSE it was so good.  We were expected by almost everybody be good and some even expected it to be the best.  In August of '91, I pretty much EXPECTED the Redskins to at least be in the race, if not win it all.  In August '82, few expected the Redskins to even make noise, much less win the dance.  Many thought that when Dallas kicked our butts, the true Redskins had come back.

I sure don't remember the 1991 preseason that way lol...

Rypien had held out early in training camp, then looked mediocre in preseason, as did much of the team...found out later that JKC was pissed at how bad the team looked in preseason and wanted the Skins built like Jerruh and Jimmah were building the Cowboys at the time (which I assume explained why we ended up hiring Norv as head coach)...there were write-ups in the media pronouncing bad omens for the upcoming season. I remember being shocked as **** when they came out an demolished the Lions and shut them out lol...felt excellent but I wasn't expecting anything like that from the Skins beforehand. The Skins went from putrid in the preseason to dominant in the 1st game.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Rypien had held out early in training camp, then looked mediocre in preseason, as did much of the team...found out later that JKC was pissed at how bad the team looked in preseason and wanted the Skins built like Jerruh and Jimmah were building the Cowboys at the time (which I assume explained why we ended up hiring Norv as head coach)...there were write-ups in the media pronouncing bad omens for the upcoming season. I remember being shocked as **** when they came out an demolished the Lions and shut them out lol...felt excellent but I wasn't expecting anything like that from the Skins beforehand. The Skins went from putrid in the preseason to dominant in the 1st game.

That's right,  I believe we went 0-4 during that pre-season and there was a major QB controversy concerning Rypien.  I wonder what these players said to each other before the start of this wonderful season?  :-)

5 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

That's right,  I believe we went 0-4 during that pre-season and there was a major QB controversy concerning Rypien.  I wonder what these players said to each other before the start of this wonderful season?  :-)

I remember reports in the media about Redskins official tearing into Rypien before the season started, talking about how crappy he was playing and chastising him in the media for holding out lol...had the outward look of dysfunction at the time.

I think 1-3 that pre-season but Gibbs was a master of using the pre-season...it usually led to losing pre-season records and vanilla performances but you cannot argue with the results that count.

By using I mean, truly evaluating personnel and working on fundamentals.  I never remember being in awe of a pre-season performance in Gibbs I or Gibbs II. 

50 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Several people predicted the Redskins to win the dance, including many non-homers, experts with no real dog in the hunt.  Many had the Redskins as the best team after Philadelphia (this would have been a bit of a problem).  The fact that JKC was pissed should have told you about what type of team he thought he had. He was mostly pissed because he thought he had a great team.  Redskins had an even worse pre-season in 1982 (0-4 and most weren't even close losses) and had many questions (for instance, Mark Mosley was supposed to have been cut but injury forced our hand, our best LB had retired because of injury, a couple of the guys who were supposed to start on our OL were finished by injury and the team was made up of mostly FAs and trades).  We also were pretty mediocre in the 1983 pre-season (2-2).  Got destroyed in the so-called warm up game. 1985 was our best pre-season under Gibbs, we went 4-0   The 1987 pre-season was pretty good.  1988 was one of Joe Gibbs best pre-seasons.  In 1989, we went 4-1.  Most Redskins' fans should have know by 1991, pre-season was not a good gauge under Gibbs (we went 1-3 and were never really dominated).  We had our problems but Dallas was still a laughing-stock, New York had a new coach who named Jeff Hostetler as the team's starting quarterback and the Cardinals, well they were the Cardinals.  In our division..heck in our conference, Philly was the only team that was scary relative to us.

Sheehan had a good monologue at the start of his show today about the 91 Skins. Said he went to Minnesota for the SB as a fan and the Friday before the game New York's WFAN Mike and Mad Dog were doing their show from the hotel lobby and had John Madden on, who was doing the TV color for the game with Pat Summerall on CBS. Madden basically predicted that the Bills had no chance!

Sheehan reiterated how drama free the Gibbs 1 teams and how it was just about winning and dominating.

Playboy had picked the 1991 Skins to win it all in the NFL preview issue.  I bought a copy of that issue a few years ago MOSTLY for that article.

I also read somewhere that Gibbs was ticked that JKC had told him that Gibbs had screwed up the team and he needed to get players like Dallas had.

Every week during the 1991 season, Gibbs took particular delight in crediting the players with the success the team was having and tweaking JKC at the same time.

I think I read this in the Revised Edition of the Book 4th and 1:

https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-Revised-Gibbs-Jenkins-Paperback/dp/B011MFWQK8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1485549352&sr=8-9&keywords=joe+gibbs+book+4th+and+1

DVD set of all 3 SB wins is here.  I watched the 2nd quarter last night.  The original broadcast was recorded to tape and then to DVD.

Even my wife noticed that the quality of the picture was not the same as what we get nowadays.

https://www.amazon.com/NFL-Washington-Redskins-Greatest-Games/dp/B001BSBC0W/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1485549792&sr=1-2&keywords=redskins+dvd

Rypien didn't have to do a whole lot.  He handed off a lot and didnt really throw it that much, but when he did, usually something good happened.  I think he barely threw it 400 times.  A starting QB could never get away with that playing all 16 nowadays, unless they were augmenting with a bunch of runs like RG3 or Russell Wilson did when they came in.  A lot has changed in 25 years.

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

Several people predicted the Redskins to win the dance, including many non-homers, experts with no real dog in the hunt.  Many had the Redskins as the best team after Philadelphia (this would have been a bit of a problem).  The fact that JKC was pissed should have told you about what type of team he thought he had. He was mostly pissed because he thought he had a great team.

He thought he USED to have a great team, but before the 1991 season he wasn't thinking that lol...

48 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Sheehan reiterated how drama free the Gibbs 1 teams and...

giphy.gif

Yeah, that's not even remotely true lol...

Despite the struggles of the '91 preseason, the Skins had established a track record during the previous eight seasons and it was tough to imagine that they were going to suck in '91. I remember the opening of that Sunday night broadcast to start the season where one of the announcers said that "Joe Gibbs thinks this is the best team he's coached."

And then things started and boy did they obliterate Detroit, albeit without Barry that night. I went to a McD's at halftime and pulling up to the drive through window, heard some dude working in the back say "35-0.......holy ****!"

In my lifetime, the best teams that I've seen are (and I was born in 1976, so I start around 1984, when I was 8)

1. 1985 Bears.  Minus Dan Marino, they go undefeated. 

2. 1991 Redskins.  They SHOULD have gone undefeated.  **** Dallas.

3.  1999 Rams.  The Greatest Show on Turf.  God they were good, and fun to watch.

4. 2007 Patriots.  They should also have gone undefeated, except they stubbed their toe in the most important game of the season. 

It's really tough to compare eras,  I think a battle between that 1991 team and the Bears 1985 team would have been epic.  Bears vs. Skins in the 1980's was just a complete gladiator brawl. 

15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Yeah, that's not even remotely true lol...

Kevin conceded they did have colorful characters like Riggins and Manley, but he was saying comparatively speaking to what we've had in the past 20 years. He thought the Skins during that time were arguably one of the top 5 model franchises in pro sports.

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Bears vs. Skins in the 1980's was just a complete gladiator brawl. 

Crazy how we played them in the divisional round three out of four seasons (except for their monster 1985, when we missed the playoffs at 10-6), and the road team won each time.

12 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Despite the struggles of the '91 preseason, the Skins had established a track record during the previous eight seasons and it was tough to imagine that they were going to suck in '91.

In 1988 they went 7-9, 3rd place in the division and missed the playoffs.

In 1989 they went 10-6, 3rd place in the division and missed the playoffs.

In 1990 they went 10-6, 3rd place in the division but made the playoffs...got blown out by the 49ers in the divisional round.

In 1991 their 6th round QB was holding out for more money...the roster was full of aging vets...they had only made the playoffs once in the past 3 seasons...the Giants had just won the Super Bowl...and the Cowboys were becoming a strong team on the rise in the division.

"(Rypien) missed ten days of camp before agreeing on a deal to report. Rypien wasn’t a fan favorite before his holdout and his late arrival to camp in Carlisle, Pennsylvania did nothing to endear him to the spectators at Biddle Field. Every errant throw—and there were a lot of those as Rypien wasn’t very sharp—drew boos from the stands, a sound almost never heard in camp.

The spectators weren’t the only ones who expressed their displeasure with Rypien. A team official ripped Ryp to the Washington Post, saying that the quarterback was “in for a long year. This holdout was a terrible mistake. He has put all kinds of pressure on himself.”

Rypien wasn’t the only one whose ability was being questioned. There was a core of players who had spearheaded the team through its run of success, players such as Art Monk, Jeff Bostic, Joe Jacoby and Monte Coleman. Many observers wondered aloud about how much they had left in the tank.

One of those questioning the makeup of the team was owner Jack Kent Cooke. He challenged the makeup of Gibbs’ team, even to the point of saying that he preferred the team that Jimmy Johnson had put together in Dallas. The coach assured the owner that he could win with the group that he had.

The team’s performance on the field during the preseason did nothing to justify the coach’s confidence. All phases of the game looked suspect as they were 1-2 going into the last preseason game against the New York Jets in Columbia, South Carolina. The exhibition should have been a final tune-up; instead, the performance was one of a unit that appeared to be in need of a major overhaul.

In particularly bad shape was the secondary. In three quarters of play, with most of each team’s first units on the field, Jet quarterback Ken O’Brien completed 20 of 29 passes for 194 yards. Cornerback Martin Mayhew played so poorly he was benched in the second half.

Defensive coordinator Richie Petitbon was characteristically blunt, saying, “We're just terrible right now.”

Rypien didn’t have particularly bad numbers in his three quarters, but he did throw an interception that led to a New York field goal.

"I think this is the poorest we've played since my first year here," Gibbs said after the 13-9 loss. "It's just an across-the-board thing. We're not smooth in any area. I don't know what else to say. We've been like this for a couple of weeks now, and I'm not sure why."

I still say, there was hardly this across-the-board confidence in the Redskins before the start of the 1991 season. I definitely remember thinking their run of SB appearances and automatic playoff births was probably over...and I know I wasn't alone in that thought.

29 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Kevin conceded they did have colorful characters like Riggins and Manley, but he was saying comparatively speaking to what we've had in the past 20 years. He thought the Skins during that time were arguably one of the top 5 model franchises in pro sports.

That's mainly because there was no 24-hour news cycle that needed to be fed, no twitter. During the 80s reporters hated going to mini camps/OTAs, thought it was boring as hell to report about athletes lifting weights and going through walk-thrus lol...they didn't really care if all the players showed up or not back then, it' wasn't making headlines--it wasn't even making most stories. For the limited amount of news they needed to fill in print and on local news, it hardly seemed important to tell fans (and fans of a successful, winning franchise, nonetheless) that Dave Butz didn't show up for the team workouts Thursday and Friday.

Now? Now it's blasted all over twitter and talking sports heads have a roundtable discussion as to whether or not DeSean Jackson missing the first two days of OTAs means he wants out of Washington, if Gruden is pissed off at him, if Snyder is forcing the team to keep him on the roster, etc, etc...

The skins back then had more than just colorful players, they had actual drama...it just wasn't reported on like it would have been now.

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

In 1988 they went 7-9, 3rd place in the division and missed the playoffs.

In 1989 they went 10-6, 3rd place in the division and missed the playoffs.

In 1990 they went 10-6, 3rd place in the division but made the playoffs...got blown out by the 49ers in the divisional round.

In 1991 their 6th round QB was holding out for more money...the roster was full of aging vets...they had only made the playoffs once in the past 3 seasons...the Giants had just won the Super Bowl...and the Cowboys were becoming a strong team on the rise in the division.

Yeah Cali, I'm not going to claim that I was penciling in the Skins for the SB. I don't even remember Montana was going to miss the whole season in SF, and despite the coaching changes in Philly and NY, thought they'd still be tough.  Dallas had gone 6-10 in '90, and don't remember being THAT concerned about them heading into '91.  But I felt comfortable when the schedule would come out (in those days, usually see it in the following day's newspaper) and penciling in the Skins for 10 wins.......that's sort of what I meant by track record.

And to your point about Rypien......I like how the NFL Network's "America's Game" about the 1991 teams begins with the Body Bag Game in Philly the previous season, and mentions Ryp's struggles in the playoff loss to SF that season, sowing doubts about his ability to get the Skins to the SB.

That preseason game against the Jets was something else.  Skins played so bad, after the game the Fox 5 sports anchor Steve Buckhantz was interviewing Gibbs in the locker room and Gibbs did something rare and showed some serious anger in an interview.  The Skins even put up an article about it.  Kind of mentions what some of you guys are saying, there were predictions that the Skins could be a dangerous squad that year, but you wouldn't of known it from their preseason performances.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Gibbs-No-Fan-Of-1991-Super-Bowl-Pick/2c095130-a90b-4d75-9a68-57c224e3e3f8

Archived