Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Trump intends to announce his Supreme Court pick on Feb. 2

visionary

On 1/30/2017 at 0:07 PM, No Excuses said:

From what I have read, neither Gorsuch or Hardiman are Scalia-like and seem more in the mold of the moderate conservative justices. 

Obama not getting to fill this seat was BS, but not getting someone from the Scalia like looney bin would be alright.

Not so sure about that on Gorsuch.

I'm sure we'll learn a lot more going forward though, as people dig into his decisions.  I will note that he was a distant 2nd to Hardiman for me.

Gorsuch's speech is very well done...very credible and everything about it/him in presentation so far is very impressive...competence, warmth, sincerity (very polished and practiced--which doesn't automatically make it suspect.......just saying this is how i'm receiving his presentation, which is also the first time i've seen him...obviously his record (reputation for proficiency) is impressive...

7 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

You're worse than Trump.

Just because you keep saying there's a rule, doesn't change the fact there wasn't.

Don't make me quote your Dem leaders....before it became inconvenient.  :silly:

I'm much worse than Trump the amateur.

Judge Gorsuch, 49, is also “interesting because he looks most like the current justices, putting ideology aside,” Lee Epstein of Washington University, one of the report’s authors, said, noting his degrees from Ivy League universities and a clerkship at the Supreme Court. “He’s a nominee it’s going to be hard not to confirm.”

The authors predict Judge Gorsuch, a federal appeals court judge in Denver, would be a reliable conservative, “voting to limit gay rights, uphold restrictions on abortion and invalidate affirmative action programs.”

1. **** it. Filibuster him.  I don't care if he's the most brilliant jurist since John Jay.  Mitch McConnell and the rest of the turtles in the swamp stole this nomination from Barack Obama.  So pay them back.  Make Donald Trump fume.  Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley is going to give it a shot. God speed to him.

Well Gorsuch has some big shoes to fill.  Scalia was one of the most effective Justices in recent decades and although Gorsuch has been described as philosophically the closest of any of the potential selectees to Scalia question is does he have the same drive and intellectual depth that enabled Scalia to be so effective.

Where is the SC Justice who went to community college and pulled themselves up by their bootstraps?  Hooray for Harvard Law!

Serious note --- all these folks are smart.  I prefer the background of Thomas, Ginsburg and Sotomayor... not so much a Kagan type with perfect pedigree.  

Acting solicitor general under Obama for over a year Neal Katyal

I am hard-pressed to think of one thing President Trump has done right in the last 11 days since his inauguration. Until Tuesday, when he nominated an extraordinary judge and man, Neil Gorsuch, to be a justice on the Supreme Court.

The nomination comes at a fraught moment. The new administration’s executive actions on immigration have led to chaos everywhere from the nation’s airports to the Department of Justice. They have raised justified concern about whether the new administration will follow the law. More than ever, public confidence in our system of government depends on the impartiality and independence of the courts.

There is a very difficult question about whether there should be a vote on President Trump’s nominee at all, given the Republican Senate’s history-breaking record of obstruction on Judge Merrick B. Garland — perhaps the most qualified nominee ever for the high court. But if the Senate is to confirm anyone, Judge Gorsuch, who sits on the United States Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit in Denver, should be at the top of the list.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/with-gorsuch-trump-delivers/

Here's a strange article about his assumed net worth/income, with some other current justices in it

http://themoderatevoice.com/gorsuch-nominated-to-scotus/

Seems weird but also nice to know, kind of.

I would have expected more in depth articles. I would have thought they'd write one about each justice days ago. Like obituaries for old famous people

Archived