Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The Orioles provide a power packed lineup that will strike out a lot but also hit a lot of home runs.  The infield defense is strong, especially on the left side at 3b and SS even though Hardy is aging.  The outfield defense is pretty weak, especially at the corners.  

The bullpen has been and still should be a strength, anchored by a closer that didn't blow a save all last season (Zach Britton) who has one of the nastiest pitches in the game (sinker).  The rotation is spotty but has a solid starter (Tillman) with two guys that have electric stuff and have a high ceiling (Bundy, Gausman) who can really help this team get somewhere this season.  

Thanks very much.  Sounds like a fun team to watch (and drive you crazy).

Pitchers and catchers today! 

The Orioles also signed Chris Johnson for some AAA depth. He's had a couple high batting average seasons with nothing behind them (not great OBP, power, etc). But he's the son of minor league Ron Johnson. So that's cool. 

So is Matt Wieters just taking the year off or what?

3 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Pitchers and catchers today! 

The Orioles also signed Chris Johnson for some AAA depth. He's had a couple high batting average seasons with nothing behind them (not great OBP, power, etc). But he's the son of minor league Ron Johnson. So that's cool. 

So is Matt Wieters just taking the year off or what?

I don't have any desire for the O's to sign Wieters, but at some point it makes sense on a one year deal if his value has plummeted. I'm stunned he isn't signed and I image he is too. Maybe they are just asking for way too much still. 

3 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

O's re-signed Bourn to a minor league deal with an opt out. Glad to have him back as a depth/speed option. 

How many veteran corner OF players do the O's need in camp? Good gracious. Seems to early to be unhappy with a player but Seth Smith might be scratching his head. Can't carry Kim, Smith and Bourn on the opening day roster. 

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

How many veteran corner OF players do the O's need in camp? Good gracious. Seems to early to be unhappy with a player but Seth Smith might be scratching his head. Can't carry Kim, Smith and Bourn on the opening day roster. 

The talk is that with Tillman missing the first week or so, they can carry an extra outfielder and wont need to carry an extra SP. Joey Rickard is also in the mix. 

Does anybody go down to Sarasota for spring training? Taking the family down in mid march. We went last year as well but only went to 1 game against the mfNYY so it was packed and couldnt really get close.  

How do you get autographs and fan photos? Should we show up 1 hour before game? Is there a practice field? Id like to get my daughter some pics with some Os. 

On 2/13/2017 at 2:49 PM, Hersh said:

I don't have any desire for the O's to sign Wieters, but at some point it makes sense on a one year deal if his value has plummeted. I'm stunned he isn't signed and I image he is too. Maybe they are just asking for way too much still. 

There was supposed to be a line forming for a catcher of his ability.

2 yrs/$21 mil was all he could get.

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

There was supposed to be a line forming for a catcher of his ability.

2 yrs/$21 mil was all he could get.

So much of this is Boras. The market didn't develop. The Orioles didn't want to wait past Christmas and he signed after Presidents' Day. So there you go. 2/21 is a decent deal for the Nats if he channels the the 2012ish version of himself, but even a 2 WAR season is worth it for them. Ah well. 

Hopefully Castillo is a nice bridge to Sisco in 2018/19. 

Weets to the Nats made sense for both parties. I wish him well, but I think we made the right move. We could not wait until Feb. 21 to have a starting catcher in place, and take the risk of not having one going into the season. I think if he had a different agent, he would still be in Baltimore, but I think everything worked out well for everyone. 

4 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Does anybody go down to Sarasota for spring training? Taking the family down in mid march. We went last year as well but only went to 1 game against the mfNYY so it was packed and couldnt really get close.  

How do you get autographs and fan photos? Should we show up 1 hour before game? Is there a practice field? Id like to get my daughter some pics with some Os. 

I went a few years ago. It was such an awesome experience. I didn't get any autographs or pictures, but from what I saw, the best opportunity for that was to hang out by the seats down the right field line by the bullpens. Basically all of the players would eventually walk by, some were signing autographs and taking pictures, and some of the pitchers would just hang out around that area during the game. I remember O'Day and a few other guys actually hanging out in the stands.

I'm actually spending a few days in Florida at the end of this week and the beginning of next, and going to the O's first Spring Training game on Friday at the Tigers' home park in Lakeland. I can't wait.   

2 hours ago, DM72 said:

Just saw my 1st HR. Does anybody on the O's hit longer HR's than Schoop? 

That dude crushes the ball. It was funny that the announcers were faked out by the Yankee outfielder just standing there. I hope the O's lock him up early. 

Tillman (shoulder) is expected to participate in fielding drills later in the week, Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sunreports.

Tillman progressed to playing long toss late last week, but the expectation remains that he won't be ready in time for Opening Day. That said, he doesn't appear to have hit any snags as he works back from a shoulder issue, so he could make his season debut sometime in early April.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/orioles-chris-tillman-slated-for-fielding-drills-this-week/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived