Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

I know everyone is in love with Kirk Cousins, and he put up a lot of yards the last couple seasons, but the truth is that he puts up a lot of garbage yards.  He still makes a lot of mental errors and isn't clutch in the red zone.  He is not worth the big contract he wants, and giving him another season to prove his mediocrity via the franchise tag is not worth it.  We need to put that money towards filling other holes (particularly in the secondary) and roll the dice with Colt McCoy.  Hell, we could have an open competition between Colt McCoy and Nate Sudfeld.  But Kirk, despite his many weapons on offense, is not getting it done. 

10 minutes ago, PigskinPhat said:

How much will Kirk cost? That is the question!!!

Too much.  The market for mediocre quarterbacks is like $18-$25 million.  I don't think Kirk is worth any of that because he makes mental errors in high pressure situations.  Colt McCoy may never be a "great" quarterback, but at least he is reliable and seems to be able to handle pressure.  We probably need someone like Colt to fill the gap while we build the rest of the team.

9 minutes ago, 2006Skins said:

This has been beaten up.  And will be for some time.  But here's more.

In light of Kirk's latest mediocre performance, I feel that this new thread (and poll) is warranted. 

1 hour ago, PigskinPhat said:

How much will Kirk cost? That is the question!!!

Just mentioned on @nflnetwork the Redskins' top offer to Kirk Cousins: $16m per year with about $24m in guarantees. Will play on $20m tag.

Looked like a good offer back in July. Kirk turned it down, I read he was seeking something from $22 to $24 mil/year. Problem is that the QBs who make more than $22 mil/year are guys like Rodgers, Flacco, Luck who have more experience/playing time than him exception made of Osweiler.

We have the salary cap, and there is no worthy QB in FA. I've never liked big contracts including big guarantees. There is always the "bust after cashing in" in the back of my mind (Osweiler). I would rather sign him for less than $20 mil and put big incentives based on performances on the field.

Cousins actually led a whole bunch of game winning drives or scoring drives at the half. Problem was, he too often left a minute on the clock which was enough time for almost every offense to score against us with time to spare.

However, yesterday he was bad. He was missing receivers, got flustered, and tried for the Superman throw to get him out of dodge. Not sure why he stopped going to Crowder the last four games. He's too good a weapon to skip. You saw him make something out of nothing on all those punt returns. Get him the ball.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Not sure the mods agree on this.

Then what are you contributing?

40 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Dude this is stupid... Cousins is going to get paid and it will be by the Redskins...  Case Closed!

Kirk throws picks and makes mental errors at some of the worst times.  Reminds me a little of Tony Romo.  Don't understand why people are clinging to Cousins after this season, especially considering how much money he wants.  McCoy is on the bench and like Sprint says, why pay twice as much for 1% more?  McCoy will make less mental errors and give us much more money under the salary cap to fill other holes.

McCoy?  Sudfeld?  Ha,....ok.

Does Kirk deserve a long term deal?  Yes, I think he does.  Is he the absolute right QB for the Redskins long term?  Hmmm,....I'm not sure.  Down the stretch Kirk didn't play well, especially in the "big" games.  That's concerning, but overall he was very good and the best player on the team IMO (Crowder's a close 2nd).  Can he get better,...maybe.  But, for QB he's the best option the Skins have currently.

The price really doesn't matter -- the market has been set mostly by factors outside of Kirk's and the Skins control.

Another question -- does he REALLY want to stay here?  He was asked that question after the game last night and basically avoided answering it.  He said "the balls in their court."

Skins have to make a decision if they think he's the guy they want to pay and roll with for the near term future.  I don't want them to franchise him again.  Either make him a fair, market value offer or let him walk.

If you really want to build through the draft, then having stability at qb would really help. Just look at how many picks have been wasted on getting QBs that don't work out.  

Yes, he'll cost a lot, but like always it won't look as bad in a few years if he continues to play well. And the team can continue to progress through the draft because they won't have to worry about qb. 

With the amount of times our playmaking WR was open (crowder) and wasn't even looked at during the progression of cousins, I was very disappointed in him. Cousins hasn't shown up in the clutch when the game was on the line. 

Hes got the mental makeup of cam  newton and not the physical abilities. We will still sign him to a huge contract which will hamper our D rebuild. A few O players will walk and his numbers will drop even more. Prepare to be a mediocre Offense like Baltimore with a weak D like the saints for the next few years. It's going to be a frustrating couple of years. 

5 minutes ago, Probos said:

McCoy?  Sudfeld?  Ha,....ok.

Does Kirk deserve a long term deal?  Yes, I think he does.  Is he the absolute right QB for the Redskins long term?  Hmmm,....I'm not sure.  Down the stretch Kirk didn't play well, especially in the "big" games.  That's concerning.  Can he get better,...maybe.  But, for QB he's the best option the Skins have currently.

The price really doesn't matter -- the market has been set mostly by factors outside of Kirk's and the Skins control.

Another question -- does he REALLY want to stay here?  He was asked that question after the game last night and basically avoided answering it.  He said "the balls in their court."

Skins have to make a decision if they think he's the guy they want to pay and roll with for the near term future.  I don't want them to franchise him again.  Either make him a fair, market value offer or let him walk.

What is "fair market value" for a guy who can only whoop up on teams with losing records?  The price absolutely matters when you have so many other holes to fill on your team.  Let some other NFL team be the sucker that pays Kirk "fair market value."  He will make mental errors and overthrow wide open receivers for them instead at a very high cost.

Just now, Ron78 said:

Very literal.  There was a point hidden somewhere deep within my post.  We only beat teams with losing records and won the division with only 9 victories.  Kirk was putting up numbers against cans.

you obviously have an agenda so why should I spend to much effort bashing my head against the wall.  Arguements like yours are old.  Counter arguements only count if you want them to count

if we lost those teams would have had more wins.  A loss to Philly in week 16 would have had them in control of the division and we're the reason the Bills finished at 500,

I'm concerned with Kirk's relationship with Gruden and his staff.  To me, he looks like a 'system' qb - programmed to stick to the play called and unable to improvise or think on his feet. After his first interception, the camera showed Cousins alone on the sideline looking at his tablet.  Trent Williams, Morgan Moses and even Colt McCoy came over to him to I assume support him- but not one coach was there with him.  When he needed coaching up - no one was to be found. 

11 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

What is "fair market value" for a guy who can only whoop up on teams with losing records?  The price absolutely matters when you have so many other holes to fill on your team.  Let some other NFL team be the sucker that pays Kirk "fair market value."  He will make mental errors and overthrow wide open receivers for them instead at a very high cost.

Do some research to find out what he will most likely get paid by any team that might sign him this offseason.  It's not that hard.  He's going to get his money regardless.

You don't want him.  Fine,...and you'd rather have Colt start.  Prepare for a drop off offensively.  There's a reason Colt's a backup,..and that's because he's a backup QB in this league.  

Defense is currently atrocious.  Even with a very good draft and some FA pickups I'm not confident they can get it to where it would need to be to compete for even 7-8 wins with Colt at QB.  But -- if you're looking long term and are willing to suck for possibly a couple of years with Colt starting to "build" the defense and maybe hope Sudfeld develops?  Ok -- but that's a big roll of the dice too.

Archived