So Lind is in.

Down to MAT - Difo. 

Edited by STBonecrusher21

4 minutes ago, STBonecrusher21 said:

So Lind is in.

Down to MAT - Difo. 

Offesnively, Difo

Defensively, MAT

MAT has such a high power upside, it's hard to leave him off the club. He can play all 3 OF spots, and has the speed required to PR. He just strikes out WAY too much to have play a prominent role.  Difo is a good depth IF trying to learn OF, with speed, good contact swing, and no fear. Just not sure there is enough time to go around for Difo (Rendon-Turner-Murphy-Zimm with Drew and Lind off the bench).  I don't like playing big, lumbering guys in the OF (like Lind and Robinson). 

I think I keep MAT with a thought to go to Difo for a postseason series, dependent on matchup.

1 person likes this

I think MAT is a lot more valuable than Difo for this team.  That has nothing to do with the two of them, really, but more about the rest of the roster.  Difo is mainly a backup infielder.  I don't see our starting infielders (Rendon, Trea, Murph) taking many days off.  They are all fairly young and are key members of the lineup.  When they do get hurt or need a rest, Drew steps in.  Zimm is a bit of an unknown, but Lind is his backup.  The OFs are set, but I see Werth as seriously getting older and thinking that he'll benefit from fairly frequent days off.  Lind is limited defensively in the OF.  Heisey is more of a pure PH.   I see MAT getting a lot more playing time than Difo, assuming starters stay healthy.  

Give me Michael A. OF versatility, base stealing ability (if he can actually get on base)

If your talking a spot start or a DL stint, I think he can give you more than Difo

Taylor v. Difo--I go with Difo. Let Taylor get every-day ABs in AAA. He went 0-10 as a PH last year. I don't think he's a very useful bench player. Maybe he can recoup some value and we can get some dip**** GM to give up something useful for him.

I am sorry to see Clint Robinson go, just from the human perspective of it.  What a great story of perseverance. He bounced around for years in the minors, hitting well everywhere he went, and finally made the Nats' big league roster in 2015 as a non-roster invitee... a fricking 30 year old rookie, which means - after years of earning minimum wage as a minor leaguer, finally saw big league money ($525,000 in '15, $545,000 last year) just as he and his wife had a baby.. 

With Ryan Zimmerman hurt much of that season he did well as a fill-in, .272/.258/.424 with 10 homers and 15 doubles.  But he slipped last year in a more limited role, and with Adam Lind signed, this spring training became in reality one long audition for him to catch on somewhere else.

I had a chance to talk to him briefly in West Palm and he seemed like a down-to-earth, decent guy.  He was clearly liked in the locker room, as this article from the Post's Chelsea Janes reflects:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/03/28/its-tough-clint-robinson-bids-farewell-as-nationals-place-him-on-waivers/

Edited by Dan T.
1 person likes this

seems like he has the arm to stick there, which was always the bigger question mark about him at short

just another reason to proclaim my love for Trea Turner

21 hours ago, STBonecrusher21 said:

Leather chairs in july? Ummmm. 

Dark leather chairs... those seats will be lava hot during July day games.

But on a cloudy day... sweet seats.  Look at the personal TV screen right in front of your chair.

Edited by Dan T.