Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Trump Does East Asia Thread

FanboyOf91

China has major leverage with NK.  They are their main trade partner and sole source of food.  That is why I was saying we need to leverage China to leverage them.

it sounds like you have more or less resigned to the fact that NK will have ICBMs and we can't stop it though.  I'm not willing to just give up.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-taiwan-usa-idUSKBN14K03S?feedType=RSS&feedName=newsOne

Beijing has also been angered by a trip planned by Tsai in January to Latin America in which she will transit through Houston and San Francisco. China has urged the United States to block the stopovers.

Chinese officials have blamed Taiwan for creating trouble rather than Trump, and many of them believe he will be more accommodating to China once in office.

"We're ready. If Taiwan wants to make trouble so can we. Let's hit them hard," said an official in Beijing who meets regularly with China's most senior military officers, including those who work directly with President Xi Jinping.

"We can hold exercises close to Taiwan, and show them the damage we could cause. Taiwan will have to give in then," the official added, citing a recent conversation with one of the military officers.

Lol, China's actually going to give Trump a cheap victory. All he has to do is allow the stopovers, shrug and say 'freedom of travel or something' when the Chinese complain, and he'll manage to not look like the asshole. Amazing.

When Taiwan last year elected a president eager to reduce the island’s reliance on China, tens of thousands of Chinese netizens attacked Taiwanese websites in a co-ordinated action that was as much a surprise to Beijing as it was to its targets.

In what they called a “sacred war”, online nationalists plastered pro-Chinese propaganda on Taiwanese Facebook pages. Now, as US President-elect Donald Trump shakes up international diplomatic pieties, the volatile reaction of Chinese nationalists and the ability of China’s assertive president Xi Jinping to keep them on his side is one of the many uncertainties facing Asia.

In the past, a small group of hardcore nationalists in mainland China focused exclusively on Japan. Now a younger and more vocal generation is weighing in on new fronts, including relations with Taiwan, the US and the Muslim world. “There are lots of historic questions still unresolved but we can’t just look at Japan. We need to change US-China relations,” says Sima Pingbang, a vocal “red” or nationalist blogger. “The real problem is the US.”

Many nationalists see the US as the hidden hand preventing China from claiming the dominant role in Asia. That latent resentment has been outweighed in recent months by a collective fascination with Mr Trump. The president-elect is “loveable” and a “giant baby”, Mr Sima gushes, saying the New York real estate developer turned reality TV star has “changed a lot of people’s impressions of the US”.

That path could go in unexpected directions. The netizens who virtually “invaded” the Taiwan websites last year certainly weren’t questioning the “One China” policy, but they weren’t acting under Beijing’s direction either. Collectively, they were excited that they had burst the bounds of their own narrow political system. One participant likened their breach in the virtual firewall to the physical destruction of the Berlin Wall a generation ago: “I wish that I could have left my handprint on the wall as I pushed it to the ground.”

uhh...?

So we have a pro-Russian SecState and son-in-law financially linked to CCP insiders vs Trump's protectionist US Trade Representative and Commerce Secretary and the US Navy pushing back in the South China Sea.

Oh, and Trump's early morning tweeting after watching the cable news channels.

Mattis:  ?

If Trump was a clever man and shrewd political calculator, I might think his activities on Taiwan were designed to improve relations and then use those improved relations as a bargaining chip in dealing with North Korea; the ultimate goal being to lose little to nothing on Taiwan while extracting concessions on NK.

I do not, however, think Trump is a shrewd political calculator.  I do suspect that Trump correctly realizes Taiwan is a chip, though I suspect he would be willing to give up that entire chip for concessions on NK.

On 1/13/2017 at 2:44 AM, FanboyOf91 said:

China may think that this will give them complete control of the internet in China but they would be wrong. Even though the PRC is now actively blocking VPNs, I've found that young Chinese citizens are pretty good at getting around the internet censorship. My wife is a Chinese citizen so I spend a lot of time in China and have many Chinese friends. Many of them know how to get around the fire wall and are active on Face Book and other social media. 

Archived