DC9

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) ***TERRELL MCCLAIN, STACY MCGEE, DJ SWEARINGER, TERRELLE PRYOR, CHRIS CARTER**

7,491 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If this is true, we really don't have any idea what we're doing again.

especially with the plethora of talented rb in this years draft...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Morneblade said:

 

Actually, you originally said this

" Not in Manusky scheme. Hes going to be hitting gaps and disrupting the backfield. Not just taking up blocks for the Linebackers."

You implied that Barry did not do this, so everything was going to be different now.

 

When it was the exact same philosophy. So no, it's not what you said originally.

 

Like I said.. I can't control how you comprehend when reading. 

 

Never mentioned Barry.

 

Good day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

especially with the plethora of talented rb in this years draft...

 

You potentially miss out on those who you need ILB and DT/NT starters plays quality depth at DB and OLB.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FrFan said:

 

 

quick, get the machine that goes ♪♫BIIiiing♫♪

 

 

giphy.gif

 

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wilco_holland said:
 

 

I love the BOSU. My favorite fitness thing...but why on earth is he wearing a bodywarmer? WTF man. Weirdo...

 

just being casual i suppose...

52 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So dangerous to "need" a DT and ILB going into the draft. This draft has so many strengths we could take advantage of, and I can see us leaving huge value on the board in the 1st and 2nd to fill holes just like we used to. So stupid when you can use a moderately-sized contract in FA to fill the hole and then just go BPA. It's not like we haven't already screwed ourselves out of comp picks anyways, fill a couple holes. This is a borderline historic CB/TE/RB class and we're probably going to skip out because if we don't we'll have enormous holes up the middle of our front 7. Best we can hope for is that we still get impact players at those need positions early on, and then get lucky enough to scoop up some of the depth from those strong positions later. 

 

 

43 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

 

Think is bang on where I am. We are potentially going to screw ourselves over by having to go in the direction you have posted. 

 

Said yesterday I think we should be snagging one more starter on defense in FA. Moderate contracts all over the place.

 

I seriously have to hope that there really is a method to their madness...cause from my laymen's view, I don't get a lick of it...

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

 

You potentially miss out on those who you need ILB and DT/NT starters plays quality depth at DB and OLB.

 
 

true, true...but, I think, I'd rather go ahead and spend on Zac and Hankins and that would also give us flexibility in the draft...to, maybe, reach a lil' with more pics and develop them for a few years...rbs in this draft could be starters up until the late fourth...early fif...I think our Oline's center/guard area needs almost as much work as our Dline..I wouldn't be hurt if we spent a 2nd on a Guard/Centre...or took a chance on one like we did with that kid from USF...Reiter...still shocked we let him get away...

Edited by Stefanskins
almost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

 

Yeah they ****ed up. 

 

Put themyself in a corner. Now you get in position where a guy rated high on your board is still there....but you look at NTs available and say:"Yeah don't think we can grab one of does next round". Scout yells:"Bruceee the top rated guy on our board is a beast! Instant impact player". Bruce:"we need to take NT here. To big of a risk that otherwise we wont grab one of does NT targets and end up with hole on our team". 

 

pretty sure the one season Bruce was in charge we too Trent Murphy despite having Rak and Kerrigan, so don't bet on us just ignoring BPA or future need

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, carex said:

 

pretty sure the one season Bruce was in charge we too Trent Murphy despite having Rak and Kerrigan, so don't bet on us just ignoring BPA or future need

ITA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the posters who say we should ignore the FA because draft.

 

We have needs all over this freaking team. We also have obvious holes.

 

Do people think if we signed a starting DT or ILB, that we wouldn't draft the position? 

 

You don't draft expecting immediate starters, except the first couple rounds maybe. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

The Saints expected something more from him than one interception, two forced fumbles and one recovery in nearly three full seasons with the team, and yet they enter the final two weeks of 2016 encouraged by his play.

"I would say in the last six weeks he's played as good a football as we've seen now, and that's encouraging," Saints coach Sean Payton said Thursday. "He's played real well. I can't point  to the game two months ago, but his grades now, this last month and a half have been fantastic. That's a positive."

One reason for the consistent play from free safety who is nearly halfway through a six-year contract worth up to $54 million has been health.

He missed 15 consecutive games through his first two seasons, starting with a knee injury that put him on injured reserve after four games in 2014. Byrd was still rehabbing from the injury when training camp began in 2015. He played the final 13 games with 12 starts that season, and he hasn't missed a game in 2016.

"I feel good," Byrd said as he rubbed his left knee while seated at his stall in the Saints locker room. "Knee injuries are a serious thing. I just thank God I'm able to come out there and continue to get better and continue to get my bearings back straight, because you never know with those things."

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/12/jairus_byrd_new_orleans_saints_4.html

------------------------------------------

 

Id like him on a cheap deal. If he can stay healthy he might earn the starting FS spot, if he cant stay healthy he could be a good vet presence for the secondary. I gotta admit, I wanted the skins to throw some money at him a few years ago and now am glad they didnt. 

 

I dont think Swearinger is a FS and Im not sure Swearinger is even starter material. 

 

I dont think we have a FS on the roster. 

 

Swearinger is a pretty good FS as evident by his play in Arizona as the deep safety. He has good coverage skills and almost never got beat deep.  He was a FS in college and was just miscast as a SS. All this talk about Swearinger not being a FS is just regurgitating college scouting his 40 time and judging him on his performance in Houston when he was asked to play in the box which is not his strength.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I necessarily disagree with you Kool, but I wonder if there's a difference of opinion of what constitutes a hole.  Is it a weak spot?  Is it a lack of experience?  Or a total lack of bodies at a position (enough to man the spot)?

 

So IMO, ILB is maybe not a hole, but it is a weakness.  A major one if Spaight/Daniels/Carter don't earn a starting spot and if the Dline can't help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sekhmet187 said:

 

Swearinger is a pretty good FS as evident by his play in Arizona as the deep safety. He has good coverage skills and almost never got beat deep.  He was a FS in college and was just miscast as a SS. All this talk about Swearinger not being a FS is just regurgitating college scouting his 40 time and judging him on his performance in Houston when he was asked to play in the box which is not his strength.

 

So the entire rest of the NFL just missed this, despite being in dire need of FS help (a premium position), as a relatively young guy bounced from team to team?

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Not that I necessarily disagree with you Kool, but I wonder if there's a difference of opinion of what constitutes a hole.  Is it a weak spot?  Is it a lack of experience?  Or a total lack of bodies at a position (enough to man the spot)?

 

So IMO, ILB is maybe not a hole, but it is a weakness.  A major one if Spaight/Daniels/Carter don't earn a starting spot and if the Dline can't help.  

 

A position where you do not have at least a replacement-level player is a hole. So we have at least one ILB hole, depending on how you feel about Foster, who might be the definition of replacement-level.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

So the entire rest of the NFL just missed this, despite being in dire need of FS help (a premium position), as a relatively young guy bounced from team to team?

 

 

well, he's spent more time starting than on then bench in his NFL career

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't think Swearinger can play FS, watch his games with the Cardinals playing FS. Even Cooley thinks hes a great FS in his film breakdown.

 

He bounced from team to team because up until the later part of last season he was always brought in as a SS.

Terelle Pryor also bounced around teams because he was out of position.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

especially with the plethora of talented rb in this years draft...

 

 

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carex said:

 

well, he's spent more time starting than on then bench in his NFL career

Didn't he have 8 starts in the last three years and only get it because of injury?

 

His first two years he was a starter, then bounced back and forth as a back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Didn't he have 8 starts in the last three years and only get it because of injury?

 

His first two years he was a starter, then bounced back and forth as a back up.

 

No.  In his last three years, according to NFL.com, he has play in 43 games and started 25.  In 2014 he played 16, started 12, for the Texans.  In 2015 he played in seven games with 0 starts for the Bucs before they cut him lose.  The Cards picked him up, he played in 4 and started one, and last season, still with the Cards he again played 16, started 12.  In fact, he's only played one other year having been drafted in 2013.  It was 16/10 GP/GS that year by the way.

 

by the way.  I've heard he's slow as a free safety, but if the free safety is the guy dropping back to prevent the home run basically then he's not really so supposed to be catching up to people or running with them.

 

Edited by carex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carex said:

 

No.  In his last three years, according to NFL.com, he has play in 43 games and started 25.  In 2014 he played 16, started 12, for the Texans.  In 2015 he played in seven games with 0 starts for the Bucs before they cut him lose.  The Cards picked him up, he played in 4 and started one, and last season, still with the Cards he again played 16, started 12.  In fact, he's only played one other year having been drafted in 2013.  It was 16/10 GP/GS that year by the way.

 

 

Don't know where I looked that up. 

 

I hope I'm wrong about him. I've been banging the table for one for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Has anyone found a good article listing good players who may be late cuts? ala Desean Jackson or Josh Norman

 

I looked and havent found any. 

 

I would put Sheldon Richardson on that list, while young, Im not sure Id give him a monster contract .. and he seems to want a monster contract. 

 

Norman wasn't cut. Jackson was, though that's cause Chip Kelly operated by his own crazy set of rules.  I wouldn't expect a repeat. There's no real reason for teams to cut players at this point unless they're trying to clear cap space. But with fewer players left to sign, there's probably not much incentive. A few guys will shake loose, but no real star players. Even Richardson shouldn't just be cut, he's too good. The biggest name left is probably Tony Romo, who the Cowboys haven't cut likely hoping someone still trades for him.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jericho said:

 

Norman wasn't cut. Jackson was, though that's cause Chip Kelly operated by his own crazy set of rules.  I wouldn't expect a repeat. There's no real reason for teams to cut players at this point unless they're trying to clear cap space. But with fewer players left to sign, there's probably not much incentive. A few guys will shake loose, but no real star players. Even Richardson shouldn't just be cut, he's too good. The biggest name left is probably Tony Romo, who the Cowboys haven't cut likely hoping someone still trades for him.

 

there's usually June 1st type cuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jericho said:

 

Norman wasn't cut. Jackson was, though that's cause Chip Kelly operated by his own crazy set of rules.  I wouldn't expect a repeat. There's no real reason for teams to cut players at this point unless they're trying to clear cap space. But with fewer players left to sign, there's probably not much incentive. A few guys will shake loose, but no real star players. Even Richardson shouldn't just be cut, he's too good. The biggest name left is probably Tony Romo, who the Cowboys haven't cut likely hoping someone still trades for him.

 If he is not a June 1st cut, I'll be shocked. No one is going to trade anything for him because they know Dallas basically has to cut him. He'll likely be a June 1st cut because his cap hit will be spread over 2 years not one. But I don't think anyone is gonna offer even a Ham sammich for him. Without the mayo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, carex said:

 

there's usually June 1st type cuts

 

It happens less frequently now because teams can designate June 1st cuts early 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to free agency, its not necessarily about where there are holes, or how much money they have available this year to fill them.   It's about how much money they are going to need in the next year or two to sign or re-sign the players they like, and have room for having to potentially transition tag Cousins.  Or at least have the money available as leverage.  

 

My guess is they have done the math and know they are going to need some cushion to be able to do what they want to do.  Also they need to be prepared to be able to capitalize on a surprise opportunity.  Like Norman and DJax.   

 

I bet they would have loved to have signed some of these other guys if they though they could do it without putting themselves in a really tough spot in a year or two. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

It happens less frequently now because teams can designate June 1st cuts early 

 

This probably doesn't matter in terms of big name cuts, but there is a limit of 2 players per team that can be designated June 1st cut early. Also, that CAP does not help them until June 1st. It just allows players to sign with other teams before the June 1st deadline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now