DC9

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) ***TERRELL MCCLAIN, STACY MCGEE, DJ SWEARINGER, TERRELLE PRYOR, CHRIS CARTER, BRIAN QUICK**

7,702 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, dyst said:

For a while Fred Davis was our best TE, Jason Campbell was our best QB, DHall was our best Corner. Being the best on "this" team doesn't mean anything. If they are one of the best at their position across the league, that's is what I consider "can't lose".

I believe a few posts up showed that he is indeed a top sack leader in the league. Number 12 in the league for active players. At what point is he considered more than good?

1 hour ago, carex said:

and you're ignoring the stats people put up to show that over all he's in pretty high standing in the league

Do ROLBs usually only make 2 tackles a game?

1 person likes this

As far as Kerrigan goes? He's had to work much harder because our interior DL'men can't get a push up the middle. Yet he's consistent year in and year out.

6 people like this

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Do ROLBs usually only make 2 tackles a game?

are there primary roles usually pass rush?  do their opponents tend to attack the middle of the field away from him?

1 hour ago, carex said:

are there primary roles usually pass rush?  do their opponents tend to attack the middle of the field away from him?

Does that answer my question?

Just my opinion on Kerrigan. Hard worker, nice guy, gets his 8-11 sacks a year but I just don't see him as elite.

3 people like this

Kerrigan is pretty good but not the kind of guy who can put a defense on his back and dictate what an offense does. He's held back by the bad players around him which by definition means he's not elite. He's good. Maybe very good. But it boils down to being a sack compiler on a bad defense--very rarely is he making game-changing plays at decisive moments, but at the end of the year you look back and he's gotten his sacks. 

If we can surround him with more talent, we'll probably see his game reach another level. But he's not exactly the definition of healthy, so we'll see if he plays long enough and consistently enough to have this happen (if we ever get more talent around him to begin with).

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, carex said:

and you're ignoring the stats people put up to show that over all he's in pretty high standing in the league

1. I'm not ignoring the posts. I log into this site, see I have a notification and then respond to that specific notification/quote. Plus I don't respond to every quote, only when I get a chance.

2. I just don't see him as elite. If we lost him because we traded him or because he left in free agency, I wouldn't care that much. He's not a JJ Watt, Von Miller, Kalil Mack, Michael Bennett type of impact defensive player.

Its all good if people think otherwise, but I dont consider him elite. I don't see him having a huge impact on games on a consistent enough basis.

Our team has 4 level type of player. 

Level 4 - is your scrubs who get no play

Level 3 - your Baker types

Level 2 - Kerrigan types

Level 1 - Trent, Reed, Cousins etc.

People can place guys wherever they want.

Edited by dyst
1 person likes this

On 18 March 2017 at 8:32 PM, carex said:

well you know what, if your ideas are accurate then I don't think there was ever a way for us to improve this year.  There were to many FA, not enough money and not enough draft picks.

My take is we are one starter short through FA. 

ILB, NT.....should have brought a starter in via FA, time yet I guess, just.

RB, plus help at Edge Rush, DB and interior OL......could have done in the draft in rounds 2-4 if one of the above had been resolved.

we will end up light in a couple of areas due to our average efforts in FA, so far.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Does that answer my question?

your question isn't valid because it doesn't take into consideration those things.  Was Darell Green not that great a CB cause he rarely led the team in INTs.  If teams play away from him because of his his strengths or other areas weaknesses, you can't expect him to make every play

1 hour ago, carex said:

your question isn't valid because it doesn't take into consideration those things.  Was Darell Green not that great a CB cause he rarely led the team in INTs.  If teams play away from him because of his his strengths or other areas weaknesses, you can't expect him to make every play

Nobody plays away from Kerrigan. 

He has had a couple frustrating years now and has a lot of head scratching plays.

I'm not saying hes bad, hes good, but he's no difference maker.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

How many times last year did we see Kerrigan get destroyed by boot plays to TEs?:hitfan:  He's a good player but is not in the elite category.

Hail Em Up!

Edited by arftech
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If we can surround him with more talent, we'll probably see his game reach another level. But he's not exactly the definition of healthy, so we'll see if he plays long enough and consistently enough to have this happen (if we ever get more talent around him to begin with).

Not healthy? You do realize he has played in every single game since he was drafted right? He may have missed a few snaps but that claim that he is not healthy is flat out bogus. Ontop of that he plays one of the most physically demanding spots on the field. I would not consider him elite because few are but he is a notch below the very top 3 or 4 in the game. 

32 minutes ago, dyst said:

Level 4 - is your scrubs who get no play

Level 3 - your Baker types

Level 2 - Kerrigan types

Level 1 - Trent, Reed, Cousins etc.

Cousins as elite? You are saying he is top 3 or so at his position? Hell Reed isn't even elite. Close but not elite. The only elite players we have are Williams and Norman. Top 3 guys at their spots. Either way this the FA thread so I will lay off any more comments about Kerrigan.

Edited by fordranger76

I think Kerrigan had a somewhat down year in 2016. In fairness, it seemed that everyone on defense regressed which makes me think it had a lot to do with coaching. Overall, I believe Kerrigan is a very good player. I don't put him at that elite level, but he's a borderline Probowler B to A minus kind of player. He might be better than that if he had some support, but with a secondary that didn't play up to snuff and a Dline that was really ineffective, the passrush was really  the only part of the D that kind of held its weight (at least statistically). It certainly wasn't good or good enough. Mind you, given how terrible the D has been it is really hard to categorize anyone on it as elite and yet we know Norman is very good. We've seen Breeland be good. We've seen Murphy and Smith be good. Heck, in 2015, we even saw Will Compton play well. Remember when we thought him and Foster had stabilized the middle?

Everything fell to hell last year and that makes us think every player is worse than they are. If I'm right, every player on the Redskins' D is probably a half to a full letter grade better than they appeared last year. I think the coaching and playcalling dragged them down that far. That, and to be fair to Barry/Haslett, some starters probably should have been back ups or not on the roster.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, KingGibbs said:

As far as Kerrigan goes? He's had to work much harder because our interior DL'men can't get a push up the middle. Yet he's consistent year in and year out.

I agree. If we had somewhat consistent pressure by our DL the QB couldn't just step up in the pocket as soon as Kerrigan comes around the edge.

4 people like this

Ryan had 24.5 sacks his first 3 years and 34 sacks in his last 3, seems like he's getting better.

4 people like this

13 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Ryan had 24.5 sacks his first 3 years and 34 sacks in his last 3, seems like he's getting better.

Sure, if you don't mind his tackles dropping from 51, to 33, to 26 over the last 3 years.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nobody plays away from Kerrigan. 

He has had a couple frustrating years now and has a lot of head scratching plays.

I'm not saying hes bad, hes good, but he's no difference maker.

Pretty much. I think we all like him, good guy, nice player, works hard, lunch pail kinda guy. But he's not scary.

And that's ok. You NEED several guys like him in your team, on both offense and defense. You get 6 or 7 guys like that, per side, you're pretty damn good.

So, I hope everyone understands it not insulting Kerrigan to say he is not elite. He's a good player, he's valuable, we need several more guys like him on defense.

Edited by Morneblade
2 people like this

38 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Not healthy? You do realize he has played in every single game since he was drafted right? He may have missed a few snaps but that claim that he is not healthy is flat out bogus. Ontop of that he plays one of the most physically demanding spots on the field. I would not consider him elite because few are but he is a notch below the very top 3 or 4 in the game. 

Cousins as elite? You are saying he is top 3 or so at his position? Hell Reed isn't even elite. Close but not elite. The only elite players we have are Williams and Norman. Top 3 guys at their spots. Either way this the FA thread so I will lay off any more comments about Kerrigan.

Kerrigan has actually played through quite a few injuries, which you've got to figure lessens his effectiveness some

who says you have to be top three to be elite?

10 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Sure, if you don't mind his tackles dropping from 51, to 33, to 26 over the last 3 years.

maybe he's putting more focus on rushing the QB

3 minutes ago, carex said:

Kerrigan has actually played through quite a few injuries, which you've got to figure lessens his effectiveness some

who says you have to be top three to be elite?

maybe he's putting more focus on rushing the QB

Maybe. But you still need to be a run defender. Especially when as a defense you're having serious issues stopping the run. Usually you play the run first, depending on down/distance and if you have a coverage assignment.

You have to play your assignment. Now, if his assignment is to rush the passer all the time, then you have to fault the DC. And trust me, I have no issue blaming Barry for being a idiot.

But if it's not, then you're freelancing. And that does no one any good.

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Maybe. But you still need to be a run defender. Especially when as a defense you're having serious issues stopping the run. Usually you play the run first, depending on down/distance and if you have a coverage assignment.

You have to play your assignment. Now, if his assignment is to rush the passer all the time, then you have to fault the DC. And trust me, I have no issue blaming Barry for being a idiot.

But if it's not, then you're freelancing. And that does no one any good.

He was a bad run defender in 2016. I'd argue he has been good against the run every other year. Is that coaching? Was he asked to do something different? Was he blowing responsibilities or doing what his coach's asked of him.

As I said before, everyone seemed to regress last year. Everyone had a bad year. That makes me think it's not entirely on the players.

1 person likes this

Kerrigan has had great sack numbers and fumbles forced for years. Doing that while Haslett and Barry are your coordinators makes you elite.

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

He was a bad run defender in 2016. I'd argue he has been good against the run every other year. Is that coaching? Was he asked to do something different? Was he blowing responsibilities or doing what his coach's asked of him.

As I said before, everyone seemed to regress last year. Everyone had a bad year. That makes me think it's not entirely on the players.

I hope so. As I said earlier in one of these threads (and when he was hired) I like Manusky. I don't think he's a great coach, but I think he's at least a couple steps up from Barry. I think he's a good coach. And I really like Jim Tomsula as a DL coach.

Kerrigan is a lockeroom guy, great character guy from a good family, he has a relentless motor and is more athletic than he looks...🙄

Oh and He is top ten at what he does in the league. Sorry he's not Von Miller.