• Blog Entries

    • By JimmiJo in ES Coverage
         1

       
      Trapped
       
      Hello my friends. JimmiJo here. I am joined by my partner; Spaceman Spiff. Together we will bring you the sights and sounds of today's match between the Washington Redskins and San Francisco 49ers. 
       
      This game has all the markings of the classic 'trap' game. The Washington Redskins are hosted an 0-5 San Francisco 49ers; a squad desperate for a win.
       
      The Redskins don't fare well is such games, if history if any game. No, not actual history; but history according to Pappas. I remember witnessing an 0-5 Titans leave with a win. I recall Washington allowing Detroit, who were hosting 18-straight losses, to get well.
       
      Bingo!
       
      But we must consider this Redskins' team is a different deal. These guys are playing with an attitude.
       
      Having Josh Norman out hurts. But it looks like Trent Williams is active and we will see if he starts (betcha he does).
       
      Stand by...
       
      Inactives
       
      The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 20 RB Rob Kelley
      o   No. 22 S Deshazor Everett
      o   No. 24 CB Josh Norman
      o   No. 40 LB Josh Harvey-Clemons
      o   No. 72 DL Anthony Lanier II
      o   No. 79 T Ty Nsekhe
      o   No. 87 TE Jeremy Sprinkle
       
      No. 25 Chris Thompson is expected to start in place of Kelley at running back.
      No. 35 Montae Nicholson is expected to start in place of Everett at safety.
      No. 47 Quinton Dunbar is expected to start in place of Norman at cornerback.
       
      The 49ers declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 10 WR Kendrick Bourne
      o   No. 20 CB Leon Hall
      o   No. 27 DB Dexter McCoil
      o   No. 44 FB Kyle Juszczyk
      o   No. 56 LB Reuben Foster
      o   No. 62 OL Erik Magnuson
      o   No. 97 LB Dekoda Watson
       
      Keys to the Game
       
      Punch them in the mouth early. Use the run to set up play-action. Disruptive pressure on defense. Win the turnover battle.
       
      Here's to a good game with no injuries. 
       
      Follow along in-game on Twitter @Skinscast. 
       
      Half
       
      Redskins are doing well, dominating all statistical categories. But the let down at the end of the game resulted in at least a 4-point giveaway. FOr the second straight game, individual players on the defense are finding ways to extend drive.
       
      Kirk Cousins finished the half 15-for-21 for 201-yards, 2 touchdowns and an interception and a 130.55 rating.
       
      For San Francisco, disarray is the word of the day. Brian Hoyer has been benched for C.J. Beathard, grandson to Bobby Beathard. Beathard just found a way to get 7 on the board.
       
      The 49ers get the ball to start the half. 
       
      JimmiJo
       
      They just had to make it interesting.
       
      After a fairly domination first 28-minutes of the game, things changed for the Washington Redskins. Washington was holding a comfortable 17-0 lead when the San Francisco 49ers sent rookie quarterback C.J. Beathard in the game.
       
      All he did was march the team down for a touchdown at the end of the half.
       
      He then led a field goal drive to start the second half, and then a touchdown following Vernon Davis’ fumble.
       
      That tied the game tied at 17. Redskins fans were dismayed, but hardly surprised.
       
      Washington woke up in the fourth quarter; adding a field goal to go up three, and then another six on a Kirk Cousins read-option scamper.
       
      It was a bad omen when kicker Dustin Hopkins missed the extra point.
       
      Cousins finished the day 25-of-37 for 330-yards, 2 touchdowns and 1 interception with a quarterback rating of 102.3.
       
      Concern turned to nightmare when Beathard hit a wide open (and former Redskins receiver) Aldrick Robinson for a touchdown. Robinson was the beneficiary of a blown coverage that left him running free to the end zone, pulling San Francisco within 2.
       
      The niners would get another chance with under 2-minutes to play. Lacking timeouts, they made a run for it; advancing the ball to midfield before a penalties and dropped balls started to catch up to them.
       
      On the final meaningful play of the game, Kendall Fuller reached up and grabbed the interception to put away the game.
       
      Head Coach Jay Gruden said after the game something to the effect that it is a good sign when a team is not too happy when they get a win. That guys would find stuff not to like about the game.
       
      One writer told me he thought this meant the team is maturing.  I thought it meant that knew the 49ers stink and it should never have been so close.
       
      There was plenty not to like about this game. Surrendering a 17-point lead. Stupid personal fouls to give up first downs. Horrendous officiating.
       
      And once again, injuries.
       
      Bashaud Breelend is going to an MRI tomorrow to discover the extent of his knee problems.
       
      Gruden said Breeland will have an MRI Monday. Defensive Lineman Jonathan Allen suffered a foot-sprain. Montae Nicholson has a shoulder injury. Stefan McClure a knee sprain and Fabian Moreau hamstring tightness.
       
      But a win is a win and Washington will take it as they get ready to travel to Philadelphia for a rematch with the Eagles.
       
      Washington amassed 419 total yards of offense this game. They had 325-net yards passing and 94-yards rushing, with 6-different rushers used. Chris Thompson led all backs with 33 yards.
       
      Thompson finished the day as the leading receiver for the Redskins, totaling 105 yards on 4-receptions. He led a field of 9 different receivers.
      Washington’s defense finished the day with 3 sacks and 1 interception.
       
      Next week Washington faces division-leading Philadelphia Eagles at their place. This is a rematch of the Week 1 loss suffered at FedEx Field. They play Monday night.
       
      We will see you for the next home game.
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
DC9

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

Recommended Posts

Alright gang, the season is still very much alive and I have full faith that we'll get to 9 wins, but there is nothing wrong with having a look at the future.  Plus, tis the season to be jolly and each of us has a wish list in mind.

 

Full disclosure, I'll be in the middle earth realm fending off the zombie apocalypse (hopefully for the last time) for most of the FA period this spring but should have just enough access to make updates every couple of days.  If not, hopefully @thesubmittedone is more than ready to assist in updating the thread, I'm sure :) .

 

Same drill, same number, same hood, for this thread.  If you'd like to post a wish list and discuss please do so.  If you see that we've signed someone, please post in here with a source and I will update the thread title and the OP as needed.

 

2017 Redskins Cap Space: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

 

Depending on the cap this year, we should have north of $60,000,000 in delicious monies to spend.  We have several of our own to take care of and have some tough decisions to make.  The big one will be "Garcon or DJax, the Battle for Evermore."

 

2017 Redskins FA http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/washington-redskins/

 

Kirk Cousins

Pierre Garcon

Desean Jackson

Chris Baker

Junior "Twitter Warrior/Part Time Hero" Gallette

Vernon Davis

Kedric "Yes I'm Still Here" Golston

Nick Sundberg

Cullen Jenkins

Ziggy Hood

Bad John Sullivan

Greg Toler

Duke Ihenacho

Terrance Garvin

Donte Whitner

 

2017 NFL Free Agents http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

 

I can't find any dates as of yet in regards to the new league year, but as soon as they're available I'll post them.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Signed to Reserve/Futures Deals on 2 Jan 17

 

DL A.J. Francis

WR Matt Hazel

LB Rufus Johnson

DL Joey Mbu

OL Ronald Patrick

DB Shak Randolph

TE Wes Saxton

WR Kendal Thompson

OT Isaiah Williams

 

Signed to Reserve/Futures Deal on 5 Jan 17

S Earl Wolff

 

Signed to Reserve/Futures Deals on 6 Jan 17


DT/NT Phil Taylor

LB Khairi Fortt

LB Pete Robertson

 

Signed to Reserve/Futures Deal on 16 Jan 17

CB Tharold Simon

 

Re-signed on 23 Jan 17

LS Nick Sundberg

 

Re-signed on 25 Feb 17

OLB Junior Galette 

 

Re-signed on 07 March 17

Vernon Davis

 

Re-signed on 15 March 17

Ziggy Hood

 

SIGNED:

 

9 March 17

 

Terrell McClain - DT - Cowboys

Stacy McGee - DT - Raiders

DJ Swearinger - Safety - Cardinals 

 

10 March 17 

Terrelle Pryor - WR - Browns 

 

16 March 17 

Chris Carter - LB - Colts

 

24 March 17 

Brian Quick - WR - Rams

 

3 April 17 

Zach Brown - LB - Bills

Edited by thesubmittedone
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DC9 said:

Full disclosure, I'll be in middle earth realm fending off the zombie apocalypse for most of the FA period this spring but should have just enough access to make updates every couple of days.  If not, hopefully @thesubmittedone is more than ready to assist in updating the thread, I'm sure :) .

 

Well, geez, no pressure or anything. 

 

:P

 

 I'll try my best to help, but I can't promise I'll do as good a job as you do. :) 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

 

Well, geez, no pressure or anything. 

 

:P

 

 I'll try my best to help, but I can't promise I'll do as good a job as you do. :) 

 

Much like the Caps thread, we change it up every year who starts/controls the OP based on the performance the season before.  I think my powers are limited to a Division Championship and a playoff appearance.

 

You, sir, are undefeated and the sky is the limit on your potential. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kirk, Garcon, Baker, Davis, Hood, Gilette we keep.

 

Berry and maybe Poe go after aggressively.

 

Draft up the defensive spine heavily.

 

Create a defense with a ton of young talent, that can carry this team, allow them to pound the ball and never be out of a football game. While having the talent to play aggressively without exposing holes.

 

Find a big ****ing bully to put in the middle, so we're not watching Compton getting knocked down clinging to ball carriers and tight ends 10 yards down the field.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offense:  Re-sign Cousins, Garcon and Davis

 

Defense:  Re-sign Baker

 

Special Teams: Re-sign Sunburg

 

Everyone else can walk.

 

Eric Berry, Lawrence Timmons, Calais Campbell and Dontari Poe would fix the middle of the defense.  But I don't see Scot going crazy in FA.  It's possible they get one big ticket item on defense.  I don't think the Chiefs will be able to keep Poe and Berry.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Kirk, Garcon, Baker, Davis, Hood, Gilette we keep.

 

Berry and maybe Poe go after aggressively.

 

Draft up the defensive spine heavily.

 

Create a defense with a ton of young talent, that can carry this team, allow them to pound the ball and never be out of a football game. While having the talent to play aggressively without exposing holes.

 

Find a big ****ing bully to put in the middle, so we're not watching Compton getting knocked down clinging to ball carriers and tight ends 10 yards down the field.

 

Not sure either Poe or Berry get out. 

 

At Defensive Tackle:  Two dudes who immediately jump out at me are Jonathan Hankins from the NYG and Kawan Short from Carolina.  I think they both get out and I think both could play for us.

 

At Linebacker:  Malcom Smith from the Raiders if he makes it out.  Former Seahawk.  If he gets out you can five star lock that he'll be here.  I'd take a flyer on Lawrence Timmons if Pittsburgh doesn't want him.  He'd be great for the menatlity.  I think if you get one strong ILB we have a couple of youngins that will follow suit or we could draft one.

 

No one who is worth a **** at Safety ever hits the market.  It is what it is.  We're going to have to draft a player or two there and make it work.  Or make a trade.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign Guard Chance Warmack, Ron Leary, or Kevin Zeitler (ties with Jay G) on the first day of free agency and push hard for Eric Berry (no way KC lets him go)

Edited by SemperFi Skins
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, drowland said:

Offense:  Re-sign Cousins, Garcon and Davis

 

Defense:  Re-sign Baker

 

Special Teams: Re-sign Sunburg

 

Everyone else can walk.

 

Eric Berry, Lawrence Timmons, Calais Campbell and Dontari Poe would fix the middle of the defense.  But I don't see Scot going crazy in FA.  It's possible they get one big ticket item on defense.  I don't think the Chiefs will be able to keep Poe and Berry.  

 

If they are serious about improving the defense, they better get at least two, maybe three, impact players via free agency.  That's if the Cousins deal doesn't hamstring them.

 

Regarding the offense, I agree that they need to re-sign Cousins and Garcon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DC9 said:

 

Not sure either Poe or Berry get out. 

 

At Defensive Tackle:  Two dudes who immediately jump out at me are Jonathan Hankins from the NYG and Kawan Short from Carolina.  I think they both get out and I think both could play for us.

 

At Linebacker:  Malcom Smith from the Raiders if he makes it out.  Former Seahawk.  If he gets out you can five star lock that he'll be here.  I'd take a flyer on Lawrence Timmons if Pittsburgh doesn't want him.  He'd be great for the menatlity.  I think if you get one strong ILB we have a couple of youngins that will follow suit or we could draft one.

 

No one who is worth a **** at Safety ever hits the market.  It is what it is.  We're going to have to draft a player or two there and make it work.  Or make a trade.

Short is more of a 3 down lineman than Hankins, correct?

 

There's a lot of talent on that chiefs D. I could see them resigning Berry for sure, but Poe has a chance to get out. 

 

I would be ecstatic if we landed Timmons. Holy crap. I'm all for letting the late rounders develop and all, but I'd love to see a heavy investment into that ILB position this year. It's an obvious hole on almost every play. When Compton does actually get himself in the right spot, the rest of the D usually makes a play.

 

Cailas Campbell (I probably spelled all of that wrong) is set to be a FA too I believe.

 

If we sign a FA at ILB and DL, and our first three picks are ILB, FS and DL, I think this defense looks entirely different next season.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, drowland said:

Eric Berry, Lawrence Timmons, Calais Campbell and Dontari Poe would fix the middle of the defense.  But I don't see Scot going crazy in FA.  It's possible they get one big ticket item on defense.  I don't think the Chiefs will be able to keep Poe and Berry.  

 

He's shown he'll "go crazy" for a player who is worth it.  We pulled out all of the old tricks for Norman and few if any can resist the Danny Dog and Pony show.

 

I think the Chiefs can and will find a way to keep both.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Short is more of a 3 down lineman than Hankins, correct?

 

There's a lot of talent on that chiefs D. I could see them resigning Berry for sure, but Poe has a chance to get out. 

 

I would be ecstatic if we landed Timmons. Holy crap. I'm all for letting the late rounders develop and all, but I'd love to see a heavy investment into that ILB position this year. It's an obvious hole on almost every play. When Compton does actually get himself in the right spot, the rest of the D usually makes a play.

 

Cailas Campbell (I probably spelled all of that wrong) is set to be a FA too I believe.

 

If we sign a FA at ILB and DL, and our first three picks are ILB, FS and DL, I think this defense looks entirely different next season.

 

Yeah Hankins is a run stopper and short is a 3 down guy.  You pair those two with Baker and it's good depth.  Add in Hood and hopefully a pick and we're looking fine.  We obviously need help on first and second down.  The LB will help on 3rd down.  Smith is perfect for that.  Timmons is perfect for that.  Someone who could play still and change the mentality of the team. 

 

Timmons is more of a stop gap while Smith is still young enough to be a building block.

Hankins is HUGE though.  Massive dude.  And can penetrate like Baker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DC9 said:

 

He's shown he'll "go crazy" for a player who is worth it.  We pulled out all of the old tricks for Norman and few if any can resist the Danny Dog and Pony show.

 

I think the Chiefs can and will find a way to keep both.

 

Yeah Hankins is a run stopper and short is a 3 down guy.  You pair those two with Baker and it's good depth.  Add in Hood and hopefully a pick and we're looking fine.  We obviously need help on first and second down.  The LB will help on 3rd down.  Smith is perfect for that.  Timmons is perfect for that.  Someone who could play still and change the mentality of the team. 

 

Timmons is more of a stop gap while Smith is still young enough to be a building block.

I am absolutely fine with a stop gap like Timmons, especially if we draft an ILB very early. Daniels and Spaight would benefit from that too. I'd almost prefer that to a FA building block. Put a coach on the field and surround him with talented students.

 

I'd be shocked if we went after both of those DL. I think hood is a decent enough starter and Baker is the star, but there's got to be another talent there to help out. RJF is a major disappointment.

 

Hopefully Ionidias can contribute next year too. He better ****ing beat out Golston as the back up and someone else be the starter.

 

I mean, teams can seriously run it on every ****ing down and win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, DC9 said:

 

He's shown he'll "go crazy" for a player who is worth it.  We pulled out all of the old tricks for Norman and few if any can resist the Danny Dog and Pony show.

 

I think the Chiefs can and will find a way to keep both.

 

Norman was unique situation in that he didn't come available until late in the FA signing period.  Most teams had already allocated their cap space elsewhere. The Skins paid market value for him, but would he be here if he had been on the open market day 1 of FA?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, drowland said:

 

 

Norman was unique situation in that he didn't come available until late in the FA signing period.  Most teams had already allocated their cap space elsewhere. The Skins paid market value for him, but would he be here if he had been on the open market day 1 of FA?   

 

I think he would have.  He's a blue chip player.

 

Scot's thing with FA is that he will only pay for a blue chip player and he's shown that.  Everyone else seems to be a potential guy.  Unfortunately that isn't working for the spine of the defense.  Hopefully we take a chance on a few second tier dudes next year that we may have to pay a bit more for.

 

But folks like Snacks aren't blue chip players and neither was Olivier Vernon.  And you saw how much they made.  He's not going to do that.  Unfortunately for him, I think we're going to need to do that for at least one player (probably two, DT and LB, hopefully three - two DTs and one very good LB) if we're going to be competative on the defensive side of the football.  But I also think that Baker is going to cost more than he's worth (and I love him, but he's going to get paid) and that may force another difficult decision.

Edited by DC9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add in FA-

 

Sign Guard Chance Warmack, Ron Leary, or Kevin Zeitler (ties with Jay G) on the first day of free agency and push hard for Eric Berry (no way KC lets him go)

 

Sign ILB Zach Brown

 

Sign OLB Melvin Ingram (enough with the Junior Galette experiment)

 

Sign WR Terelle Pryor

 

Sign CB A.J. Bouye

 

Re-sign -

 

Kirk Cousins

  • 5 yrs, $116,171,601
  • Avg. Salary: $23,234,320

 

Desean Jackson

  • 3 yrs, $22,857,388
  • Avg. Salary: $7,619,129
  •  

Chris Baker

 

Vernon Davis

  • 3 yrs, $5,438,558
  • Avg. Salary: $1,812,853
  •  

Ziggy Hood

Bad John Sullivan

Greg Toler

Duke Ihenacho

Terrance Garvin

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I am absolutely fine with a stop gap like Timmons, especially if we draft an ILB very early. Daniels and Spaight would benefit from that too. I'd almost prefer that to a FA building block. Put a coach on the field and surround him with talented students.

 

I'd be shocked if we went after both of those DL. I think hood is a decent enough starter and Baker is the star, but there's got to be another talent there to help out. RJF is a major disappointment.

 

 

I think RJF has been fantastic this year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we sign a FA at ILB and DL, and our first three picks are ILB, FS and DL, I think this defense looks entirely different next season.

This is exactly what we'd like to see happen, so that means there's no chance McClu will come close to doing this. I trust the guy, but he certainly doesn't do the "common sense" thing. 

It's possible that the ineptitude of this defense will drive him to allocate more resources than the bottom of the barrel leftovers, which he's currently trying to work with. I'm all for bargain shopping, but when I have no bread, I'll pay the extra $1 at whole foods.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CTskin said:

This is exactly what we'd like to see happen, so that means there's no chance McClu will come close to doing this. I trust the guy, but he certainly doesn't do the "common sense" thing. 

It's possible that the ineptitude of this defense will drive him to allocate more resources than the bottom of the barrel leftovers, which he's currently trying to work with. I'm all for bargain shopping, but when I have no bread, I'll pay the extra $1 at whole foods.

 

If he almost completely sits out of FA this year, while swimming in cap money like Scrooge McDuck and waits to see what floats to the top after the flush, I'll be off the band wagon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

How do you feel about Hood?

 

I'd re-sign him.  He's been a good rotational guy.

 

I think if you have Baker, Hankins, Short, Hood, RJF, and a pick or two you're in good shape.

11 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

 

Sign ILB Zach Brown

 

Never heard of him, but he looks good in a Rex Ryan defense :ols:

39 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Add in FA-

 

Sign OLB Melvin Ingram (enough with the Junior Galette experiment)

 

Sign WR Terelle Pryor

 

Huge fan of getting those two.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DC9 said:

 

Never heard of him, but he looks good in a Rex Ryan defense :ols:

 

 

 

Tackling machine, always around the ball, has a lot of speed for being 250lbs.... We need that size at the ILB spots. 2nd rounder in '12 from the Titans. Lead tackler in the NFL.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If he almost completely sits out of FA this year, while swimming in cap money like Scrooge McDuck and waits to see what floats to the top after the flush, I'll be off the band wagon.

Agreed. Assuming we re-sign Cousins, a WR, Baker, we will be left with $25Mish... Plenty to address the defensive positions of need. He sold me on all of the Jeron Johnson/David Bruton/Kendall Reyes signings, but I'm not falling for it again. I need to see that $25M bring in a couple new toys.

 

For all those looking at Terrel Pryor, stop. McClu doesn't pay WRs and this guys will command BIG money. Sidenote- very cool to see a college QB make such an impressive transition to WR.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.