Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Just Got Swept By Dallas and I Feel Good, Not Bad

kleese

15 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Barry doesn't instill confidence, but I can't tell yet if it's him or the personnel. We have SEVERAL starters on our defense who wouldn't get snaps on a league-average defensive unit. Until that's not the case, it's hard to diagnose if it's the coaching or lack of players. 

It's both I think. Passive playcalling and a really weak team up the middle, from DL to ILB to S.. all need replacing asap.

Compton should not be starting games, neither should Foster for that matter, Same goes for the revolving door at safety. Need to find some way to get those spots nailed down, and bargain basement FA's ain't gonna cut it.

9 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

It's both I think. Passive playcalling and a really weak team up the middle, from DL to ILB to S.. all need replacing asap.

Compton should not be starting games, neither should Foster for that matter, Same goes for the revolving door at safety. Need to find some way to get those spots nailed down, and bargain basement FA's ain't gonna cut it.

I think it's probably a combination as well, but it's tough to point the finger at the coach when you just named 4 defensive starters that shouldn't be out there for a contending team. That's not even including some upgrades at DL which are also necessary. Basically, we have 2 position groups on defense which are adequate: OLB and CB. 

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think it's probably a combination as well, but it's tough to point the finger at the coach when you just named 4 defensive starters that shouldn't be out there for a contending team. That's not even including some upgrades at DL which are also necessary. Basically, we have 2 position groups on defense which are adequate: OLB and CB. 

You know what really sucks is it's gonna be hard to stock all those positions in one offseason. Maybe we get lucky and get starters at one or two in the draft, but with BPA that's not a given. We may end up with another TE, OL, WR and still be scraping the bottom of the barrel for S, DL and ILB yet again.

The worst part is that in Scot's previous 3 stops they had firebreathing defenses, and the offense was a year or two behind. Here we have the offense in place, but the defense is really hurting. I know it's only been 2 years into his tenure, but I'm still waiting for some kind of drafted firebreathing impact defender, a Sherman or Chancellor, or a Aldon Smith or Patrick Willis, and we have squat on that side of the ball.

The closest we had to a recent drafted defender who made an impact was Jarrett, and he's done now.

Just now, crabbypatty said:

You know what really sucks is it's gonna be hard to stock all those positions in one offseason. Maybe we get lucky and get starters at one or two in the draft, but with BPA that's not a given. We may end up with another TE, OL, WR and still be scraping the bottom of the barrel for S, DL and ILB yet again.

The worst part is that in Scot's previous 3 stops they had firebreathing defenses, and the offense was a year or two behind. Here we have the offense in place, but the defense is really hurting. I know it's only been 2 years into his tenure, but I'm still waiting for some kind of drafted firebreathing impact defender, a Sherman or Chancellor, or a Aldon Smith or Patrick Willis, and we have squat on that side of the ball.

Well, if the offense maintains its current level or improves, you won't have to replace all 5-6 weak positions on D to improve as a team. It's a process. 

I think with our defense it is both, lack of personnel and a coordinator who might not have the experience or level of skill himself yet.  The question is, do you dump him as a coach knowing that the talent just isn't there to field a solid defense or do you give him the benefit of the doubt until the unit is upgraded?

Just now, NoCalMike said:

I think with our defense it is both, lack of personnel and a coordinator who might not have the experience or level of skill himself yet.  The question is, do you dump him as a coach knowing that the talent just isn't there to field a solid defense or do you give him the benefit of the doubt until the unit is upgraded?

That's my point...and I would lean toward staying with him as a coach until you can point the finger at him (especially if we are succeeding as an overall team). Here's why...

You give the defense every opportunity to excel under him as we continue to infuse it with better players. You have your solid defenders within the same scheme and experiencing continuity. This makes it much easier to isolate the root cause of the struggles. If you've upgraded ILB, S, and DL and are still in the high-20s as a defense, then you can reboot with your better personnel. 

If you are changing out players and the coaches (because with a new coordinator likely comes new position coaches) it's more chaotic and tougher to diagnose what's going wrong. In the end, an OK defensive coordinator can succeed with good players. I'm not sure a good defensive coordinator can succeed with OK players. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's my point...and I would lean toward staying with him as a coach until you can point the finger at him (especially if we are succeeding as an overall team). Here's why...

You give the defense every opportunity to excel under him as we continue to infuse it with better players. You have your solid defenders within the same scheme and experiencing continuity. This makes it much easier to isolate the root cause of the struggles. If you've upgraded ILB, S, and DL and are still in the high-20s as a defense, then you can reboot with your better personnel. 

If you are changing out players and the coaches (because with a new coordinator likely comes new position coaches) it's more chaotic and tougher to diagnose what's going wrong. In the end, an OK defensive coordinator can succeed with good players. I'm not sure a good defensive coordinator can succeed with OK players. 

Agree with this.

One thing that winning programs do is ensure stability in coaching staff whenever possible. As much as I'm not a fan of Barry, he should be the last casualty once appropriate talent has been found at ILB, DT, S.

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I have evolved on this issue and tend to agree with your thoughts.  I think something people might overlook as that most coordinators spend some seasons in obscurity before they really make a name for themselves and then become sought after.  You can't let a coach build their name/reputation up without the "build" aspect being included. 

When Haslett was fired, it's not like he left behind a good defense.  It was bad and on the way to being worse.  Joe Barry came in and besides the signing of Norman, hasn't really been given a lot of upgrades.  Preston Smith dazzled as a rookie but is either leveling out or having a sophomore slump.  The only real difference positive or negative I can see Barry's fingerprints on is finding a role that Trent Murphy can be useful in.  

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I have evolved on this issue and tend to agree with your thoughts.  I think something people might overlook as that most coordinators spend some seasons in obscurity before they really make a name for themselves and then become sought after.  You can't let a coach build their name/reputation up without the "build" aspect being included. 

When Haslett was fired, it's not like he left behind a good defense.  It was bad and on the way to being worse.  Joe Barry came in and besides the signing of Norman, hasn't really been given a lot of upgrades.  Preston Smith dazzled as a rookie but is either leveling out or having a sophomore slump.  The only real difference positive or negative I can see Barry's fingerprints on is finding a role that Trent Murphy can be useful in.  

Agreed. I would point out a couple other advantages that Barry has over Haslett right now...

Cravens is a useful chess piece for any defensive coordinator. 

The "upgrade" at ILB. 

Admittedly, our ILBs are limited physically, but they both seem to know where they and the rest of the D should be on every snap. So, even though you lose some play-making ability from Riley, you have 11 guys in the right defense who understand their assignments. The downside to a play with Compton/Foster is that a ball carrier might make them miss or break their tackle. The downside when it was Riley was that we may occasionally have a receiver or TE completely uncovered. 

So, I think these are both advantages that Barry has. Having said that, he might be mostly responsible for both of these changes (coaching decision on the LBs and maybe he had some say in the draft room). If that's the case, then he gets credit as well. 

Anyone else watching this Dallas game against the Vikings?  It isn't quite over, but I've seen enough.  The Cowboys are overrated. We coulda beat them twice, and if we had better coaching and just a little more discipline, we would have.  I'm not afraid of them.  In fact there is no team I want to face more in the playoffs.

Note to those of you saying that Kirk should want to stay here where he has had some success, instead of risking going to a bad team: If the Vikings had Kirk instead of Bradford they would be the 10-1 team right now, not Dallas.  And they are not the only team out there which is one QB away from SB contention.

18 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Anyone else watching this Dallas game against the Vikings?  It isn't quite over, but I've seen enough.  The Cowboys are overrated. We coulda beat them twice, and if we had better coaching and just a little more discipline, we would have.  I'm not afraid of them.  In fact there is no team I want to face more in the playoffs.

Note to those of you saying that Kirk should want to stay here where he has had some success, instead of risking going to a bad team: If the Vikings had Kirk instead of Bradford they would be the 10-1 team right now, not Dallas.  And they are not the only team out there which is one QB away from SB contention.

I think you are over simplifying. Bradford is average at absolute best and I did not like that trade for them. However, their OL is awful. Their WRs are awful. Their RBs are awful. Quite possibly the worst offensive talent (when you factor injuries) in the entire league. Kirk would make them better most likely, but probably not significantly. 

1 hour ago, kleese said:

I think you are over simplifying. Bradford is average at absolute best and I did not like that trade for them. However, their OL is awful. Their WRs are awful. Their RBs are awful. Quite possibly the worst offensive talent (when you factor injuries) in the entire league. Kirk would make them better most likely, but probably not significantly. 

Not sure I agree with that last part. DJax, Trent, and Reed have all missed games this year (arguably our 3 best players on offense aside from Kirk), yet our offense has hummed (at least in terms of yardage) in every game. We were missing both Trent and DJax vs Minny, and we put up more points on them than anyone else has this season.

11 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

Not sure I agree with that last part. DJax, Trent, and Reed have all missed games this year (arguably our 3 best players on offense aside from Kirk), yet our offense has hummed (at least in terms of yardage) in every game. We were missing both Trent and DJax vs Minny, and we put up more points on them than anyone else has this season.

Our talent level on offense is awesome. We can afford injuries because we are deep in addition to be talented. Nsekhe might be the Vikings beat OL--Scherff and Moses would be for sure. 

I'm not trying to degrade Kirk here--I just don't think that the only thing Minn is missing on offense is a QB. 

1 hour ago, kleese said:

Our talent level on offense is awesome. We can afford injuries because we are deep in addition to be talented. Nsekhe might be the Vikings beat OL--Scherff and Moses would be for sure. 

I'm not trying to degrade Kirk here--I just don't think that the only thing Minn is missing on offense is a QB. 

Understood. The point I was making was that Kirk might be (we have no way of knowing for sure either way) good enough to still be successful even with Minny's weaker offensive personnel. Not as successful, of course, but still a top half QB, and certainly one who would win a lot with that strong D.

6 hours ago, illone said:

Just think if we had the Minny defense we would crush the cowboys.  LOL

True.

I never rooted for Dallas to win this game, but, in retrospect, it is probably better they won in the long run.

Nobody is going to overtake them for the division, anyway. :dallas_sucks:

Archived