Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN-Brandon Scherff Isn't Just Blocking Defensive Linemen-He's Destroying Them

SkinsGuy

49 minutes ago, RedBeast said:

Now lets go get one more big nasty for the OL...

Center.

I still wish we would have got Ryan Kelly

Zac Retweeted Brandon Thorn

Spencer Long shoulda been starting the whole time at center! #Redskins

Zac added,

Brandon Thorn @VeteranScout
Cutting up the film for the new Under the Microscope Film Room and WAS C Spencer Long had 4-5 "wow" blocks Sunday. Great OL performance.

1 hour ago, RedBeast said:

Center.

From what I've heard, the Colts OL is really struggling this year. Kelly could still be playing well I don't know, but I haven't really heard anything about him.

@Warhead36I hear Long has had some struggles but I also he is doing very well for a rookie Center (like Scherff this time last year at this time).

I want someone very smart, big boy, hardworking, nasty...you get my drift (especially with Achilles Last Stand over there? hahaha....i hope JD works out, seriously). But I am glad that SWFL pointed out that Long had a decent game.

I know LT is OL position #1 but I have seen the benefit of great centers to an OL, hence my stand...especially with Scherff and Moses to his right. 

1 hour ago, RedBeast said:

Center.

Nah, Long seems to be doing alright for now, and getting better. He's big and powerful and seems to be generally holding the interior well.

No reason to rock that boat unless someone regresses.

4 hours ago, RedBeast said:

Center.

Ya ur talking that center that the colts drafted last year right?...haa if so that's who I was wanting to....I give praise to that cowboys o line..and of course everyone else and so much that this power house of an o line we got goin is just cruzin under the radar..just where I like us!

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Long is good. OLine is in position that we can start grabbing late rounders and develop them so we don't have to ever take a guard at 5 again.

Good ****ing call!!....sorry for the language.

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He is a beast. Should be an All Pro. McC nailed it with his first pick.

Yes yes yes bam naaaiiiled it!!....don't know if this makes sense ...but I've never realy paid attention to what's going on in the trenches during a play unless of course it's completely obvious who's dominating..but I'm seeing Scherff making these plays and it's blowing my mind about how dominate he is...he IS MEAN NASTY ORIGINAL HOGS TYPE PHYSICAL..very very glad to have him...imagine what d line coaches are thinking when watching tape on him trying to prepare there d line for the game.."welllll good luck gentlemen"!

25 minutes ago, -JB- said:

You talking about Morgan Moses & Long in the 3rd round?  No OL in 2012 or 2013 to show unless you want to count LeRibeus lol

Yes. I'm talking about 2 of our starters who were recently drafted the year before in the 3rd round. You can't say we don't draft OLine when the previous year we drafted two fifths on our starting line.

Yeah...i was a huge Kelly fan, was a little more than annoyed that Indy drafted him, but Long has surprised me, & not necessarily because of the blocking either.  While the blocking has been increasingly effective over the last 2 weeks...i am impressed that he can snap the ball as many times with only 1 really poor snap.  He seems to have gotten it together in that regard, & i am excited to see him develop.

***sidenote***

This is my favorite part of watching sports.  Whether we love/hate, or we were right/wrong about a guy coming into the league, we get to watch them develop into a team together, & hopefully compete at the highest level.  We have been stripped of this as Redskins fans for far too long...but i know what this looks like.  There's a cohesion from top to bottom now that hasn't been there ever with Snyder, & now with McCloughan we are watching good football decisions turn into good football performance.  

That, my friends, is all we can ask for.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:
6 hours ago, -JB- said:

Was pumped when we drafted Scherff.  Absolute mauler in college.  The OL was ignored for so long (aside from the Trent Williams pick obviously) I loved this pick even though Leonard Williams was a can't miss talent at DL.  I just think with all the intangibles, McCloughen felt that Scherff was a sure fire can't miss guy to change the attitude on the OL.  Bravo.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

You mean except for the year before when we drafted to pretty high, right?

Was pumped when we drafted Scherff too. Well, about 5 mins after we drafted him...I thought/wanted Williams...I thought it was a no brainer...I was celebratin' Williams before they even announced our pick..but just a few mins later I loved the pick...I always **** about us not investing in our oline...then I'm gonna **** when we do?...he's turned out great...solid...love his nastiness..all the great are..

so, I feel compelled to re-repost this previously posted gif  from when @SoulSkin saw it when we drafted him.

scherff_medium.gif

Sherff has been so good, referees think he's cheating. 

He's got two holding calls from earlier in the year where he absolutely man handles his guy to the point that the refs automatically assumed it was holding. :ols: 

How many Olinemen can say that? 

Spencer Long was excellent against the Eagles, as well. He got pushed back into Kirk a few times, but he was able to anchor just enough that it didn't end up disastrously and allowed Kirk to either extend or throw it away. Against Cox and Logan, that's certainly acceptable. If that's the worst you can say, he did an awesome job. He got to the second level numerous times and was a force in the running game in general. 

At the game, I decided to hone in on the trenches for the coverage blog, snap by snap. That's all I did, I didn't watch the ball. Can't believe how lucky I was to pick that game out of the others to do that with, lol. I got to see dominant performances from both of our fronts, it was sick. 

If we can get that type of performance from our lines moving forward... :D

I think the cowboys model of throwing 1st round picks at the line (really that's what la'el is) is not the wave garunteed for success (see Giants. NY)

but what is awesome is this is old school NFC east football. 

I think though we need to keep feeding the line because I think right now in the salary cap eara it is hard to keep 5 guys together long term 

Scherff is just one example of a new trend under the Gruden regime, a trend that I welcome but past experience makes it hard to accept, significant player development. Just on the O-Line guys like Moses, Scherff, and Long have gotten significantly better since they arrived. This is also true throughout the units. In the previous bunch of regimes we just never seemed to have more than a couple of players that actually got better. I am not sure if it is the coaching, the scouting, or both. But I love it.

Right after the pick last year I remember a fellow ESer complaining about how Scherff was not worth taking since he'd probably be used as a guard and we couldn't justify wasting a 1st round pick on a G. He also complained that based on what he'd seen of Scherff's college play, he didn't finish plays and wasn't "on" 100%. That made me go back and review about 2 year's worth of games, breaking them down. What I found is pretty much that he didn't take plays off, he almost always finished the plays, and he generally eliminated or obliterated his assignment. 

I love the way he plays. Hail to the Scherff!

I loved the pick from the beginning..before during after now...and yes it amazed me by how much I've been readin around theze parts about how much we need to improve the o line which I agreed with and than we made the pick and round here it seamed like alot fokes were bummed.(intentional miss spelling through there)

That little video clip gif whatever cracks me up Stefanskins of Scherff tossing the bear...not so much my wife tho(bears fan)...Scherff's just a baby in the league too!! insert multiple smiles here...

Archived