Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

16 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Does anyone know roughly what time we should expect to pick if we're picking #17? Hoping to get home from this event tonight by 9:30 ... the draft is my favorite event of the year and it falls on my anniversary weekend AND I have this work event tonight. Likely I miss first half of the first round, and then tomorrow and Saturday I will be lucky if my wife allows me to snipe looks at my phone to stay on track with the draft since we are out of town celebrating our anni ...

10 minutes per pick, most teams take close to all of it, 16x10 = 160 mins, I'd say you're safe.  Even at 7.5 mins/pick, that would still put #17 somewhere around 10pm.

37 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Just saw a tweet from Rapaport that says we are interested in trading back into the late 1st round.

I'm thinking the Seahawks and Chiefs would be likely partners....Seahawks have 3 3rd round picks...Chiefs have 10 picks, including an extra

I initially read that as trading back from #17.

but I've read elsewhere it means staying at #17 but jumping back into the late first again to pick twice in the first round.

53 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

NFL Network just reported that we flew to Michigan over the weekend to meet privately with Peppers...but that was before his diluted sample.

They also mentioned that trading back is very possible

That was before his sample became public my understanding is the Teams got the results in late March.

49 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

This is one HELL of a way to get our new RB. 

This is the plan right? RIGHT?

Hail. 

I can't get a handle on how Peppers will be used.  But that goes double for the Redskins.   If there is close to a consensus on him is maybe he fills a joker role or is a strong safety but we got Cravens.  So what is it?  Cravens at strong safety and we got Peppers playing nickel linebacker?  And heck even if that goes down smoothly is that really the big move to improve the defense?  If they sign him oddly the main thing I'd dig about the player is the kickoff-punt returns.  But a first rounder for an electric returner?  I don't think Peppers has the coverage or ball skills to play FS.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

but I've read elsewhere it means staying at #17 but jumping back into the late first again to pick twice in the first round.

Personally I wouldn't like Peppers whether they took him at #17 or got him trading back.

7 minutes ago, saltydog75 said:

10 minutes per pick, most teams take close to all of it, 16x10 = 160 mins, I'd say you're safe.  Even at 7.5 mins/pick, that would still put #17 somewhere around 10pm.

Okay, perfect. So weird, last year I had to attend the same event and I remember I had to watch our pick/trade madness unfold on twitter in the Uber home ... and we picked later than this year. Maybe the event ran an hour later last year or the draft started at 7 instead?

Oh well, not complaining. Although I would prefer to be able to watch the whole draft.

With all of the guys likely available around our pick, I think trading back makes more sense than in previous years. I feel like at the time we come to draft, there will still be 5-6 guys we really like there.  Unless Jonathan Allen happens to be left, theres just so much depth.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can't get a handle on how Peppers will be used.  But that goes double for the Redskins.   If there is close to a consensus on him is maybe he fills a joker role or is a strong safety but we got Cravens.  So what is it?  Cravens at string safety and we got Peppers playing nickel linebacker?  And heck even if that goes down smoothly is that really the big move to improve the defense?  If they sign him oddly the main thing I'd dig about the player is the kickoff-punt returns.  But a first rounder for an electric returner?  I don't think Peppers has the coverage or ball skills to play FS.

I'd rule out the joker role. He needs a defined position. And a teams needs to have that position in mind before they draft him. Not working it out on the fly. And to STICK to it! 

I think that's been one of the biggest problems as to why he's so poor-average in most every defensive facet. He's not only had to learn the LB and safety roles, he's had to sit in on O meetings and know that playbook off by heart as well as being a part of the teams unit! 

Poor lads had must of been be kettled to be fair. 

Hail. 

14 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I did as well.  I could see maybe trading into the 1st, but only if we first traded back from 17.

Really though, I think that would be a poor move.  I'd much rather trade out of the 1st all together than try to net 2 picks in the 1st.

1 minute ago, lavar1156 said:

Or just let Arie K. start at LG.

I will say this ... OL takes time to develop. Arie was a boom or bust type of Guard prospect and we got him in what, the 4th?

A lot of folks wrote off Morgan Moses and Spencer Long early on. Moses when he didn't get involved his rookie year as a 3rd round OT ... and Long when he didn't emerge as a starter after 2 seasons. Arie is entering Season 3 ... which puts him on the exact same trajectory as Spencer Long ...

This is mainly why I think the team could address the G/C combo position with someone like Ethan Pocic in Round 3/4 ... sure you can't expect him to step in and start in Year 1 ... but if you can hope for Kiandjiao to play at LG this year ... Pocic gives you flexibility to both compete with him at LG but also spell long-term solution to OC if Long doesn't re-sign after this year.

Of course Forrest Lamp would be a great pick ... but even Brandon Scherff didn't dominate right out of the gate. So I think it's safe to expect Kiandjiao to step up this year.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I hope there is a QB Houston loves that falls to us at 17 and we can get a good return in exchange for a trade. I think Cook will still be there in the mid 20s.

I'm not as worried about a good return - if traditional draft chart says a 2nd say... I'd happily accept a 3rd/4th.  The talent dropoff is so negligible and the draft is so deep...

8 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I'd rule out the joker role. He needs a defined position. And a teams needs to have that position in mind before they draft him. Not working it out on the fly. And to STICK to it! 

I think that's been one of the biggest problems as to why he's so poor-average in most every defensive facet. He's not only had to learn the LB and safety roles, he's had to sit in on O meetings and know that playbook off by heart as well as being a part of the teams unit! 

Poor lads had must of been be kettled to be fair. 

Hail. 

If its a defined role most are saying strong safety.  I recall you pushing him for running back but that would be a bit off beat at least in terms of draft chatter -- and you got some stud running backs in this draft so I really doubt Bruce is saying Peppers is a better back than Cook or Mixon, etc.  So it would be somewhere on defense.  

Bruce is gonna want to look sharp tonight, so how about

we trade back from #17 to #25 and get an extra second rounder. The Texans overpay for a QB. We use that pick at #25 

we also trade back into the first round by using a 2nd, 3rd and 5th round pick. We pick for a second time in the first round.

we are still left with a 2nd and 2x 4ths..........

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I did as well.  I could see maybe trading into the 1st, but only if we first traded back from 17.

Really though, I think that would be a poor move.  I'd much rather trade out of the 1st all together than try to net 2 picks in the 1st.

Man I just posted that scenario haha

51 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Big Hypo: Trade Kirk to SF for #2, #66 (3rd) and a 1st next year

Option 1: Load the defense and wait for QB next year (or mid round this year) ... assume Trubisky goes #1 to Cleveland and play the "we just traded away a franchise QB so we gotta make these picks count" mode ...

2: Myles Garrett, EDGE Texas A&M

17: Reuben Foster, ILB Alabama or Jarad Davis, ILB Florida

49: Joe Mixon, RB Oklahoma

66: Dalvin Tomlinson, DT Alabama

81: Sidney Jones, CB Washington or Gareon Conley, CB OSU

4th: Ethan Pocic, C/G LSU

4th: Best QB Available (Webb, Peterman, Kaaya)

5th: Caleb Brantley, DL Florida

CHAMPIONSHIP (in 2019)

But no, seriously, how legit would that squad be in 2018?! The defense? My god

49ers aren't going to give up nearly that much for Kirk.  They're going to pay market value for him.  2 1st rounders is the going price for a guy who'll make $22 million or so over four years with a fifth year option via the draft, not a guy you'll be signing to a long contract worth around $25 million per year, especially when he may very well be available with zero compensation in a year.  Realistically, one first rounder might even be tough to pry from them.  Were I the 49ers, with the Redskins over a barrel (hard to keep Kirk with the transition tag since it's massive $), I'd hold firm to give up something less than a first rounder since it's fairly well known he's interested in signing a LTD there.

Also, Mixon's likely to go in the high second or earlier, from what everyone's been saying.  There's so much smoke with other prospects (Conley, etc) that drafting Mixon is no longer the "big character risk" guy he was pre-draft.  There are a ton of teams in the high second that could use a RB and Mixon will almost surely be by far the best on the board after Fournette/McCaffrey are picked.

Also, chatter is Webb much higher than the fourth round.  Peterman's not a secret anymore.  

You gotta be realistic.  If you trade Kirk, you're going to be bad for a few years.  Teams without a franchise-type QB just don't win a ton of games and it's actually in your best interest to be as bad as possible to get a high first rounder, which is where most of the starting QBs get picked.  And you're not going to get what you want for him in terms of picks.  John Lynch has zero experience, but Kyle Shanahan does, and he's not going to give up much because they have so much leverage against the 'Skins.  The notion you can expect to get a franchise QB in the fourth round is a little bit of a fantasy.  Statistically, it just isn't likely.

Honestly, we're in a good position.  We have an extra fourth rounder in a draft where most evaluators think you can get starters in the fourth round.  If we want, we should be able to get five starting-caliber players with our first five picks.

1) MLB (Foster or Davis)

2) Edge rushing OLB

3) CB

4) DL

4) FS

Ton of depth at CB this year.  I reckon if we pick right, we get one day 1 starter at MLB, rotational guys day 1 at OLB, slot CB, and DL, and a FS that worst case should be a starter down the road.  More picks would be nice, but we don't need any more to shore up the D.  With the rest of the picks, grab a WR (guys like KD Cannon, Josh Reynolds, and Shelton Gibson could be there), a RB to form a committee with Kelley and Thompson, and some special teamers with the last few picks and that's a very successful draft.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If its a defined role most are saying strong safety.  I recall you pushing him for running back but that would be a bit off beat at least in terms of draft chatter -- and you got some stud running backs in this draft so I really doubt Bruce is saying Peppers is a better back than Cook or Mixon, etc.  So it would be somewhere on defense.  

I'll give you my thoughts on what I see on him later if you like FW my laymans eye view is watching tape. 

Off for a bit. 

Hail. 

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I'll give you my thoughts on what I see on him later if you like FW my laymans eye view is watching tape. 

Off for a bit. 

Hail. 

Sure.   Among the guys rumored that we like he's the one I personally like the least -- so I am gathering he's going to be the pick.  Heck as much as I've taken down McDowell here, the more I think about it, I'd take him over Peppers.  At least McDowell plays a major position of need.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Bruce is gonna want to look sharp tonight, so how about

we trade back from #17 to #25 and get an extra second rounder. The Texans overpay for a QB. We use that pick at #25 

we also trade back into the first round by using a 2nd, 3rd and 5th round pick. We pick for a second time in the first round.

we are still left with a 2nd and 2x 4ths..........

Man I just posted that scenario haha

I think a more realistic scenario would be Seattle trading up to #17 to grab an OT.  They desperately need two good ones and they have 3 3rd round picks.  Trade back from #17 to #26, Seattle takes their pick of the OTs, we get an extra third rounder (90, 102, or 106) and we still get a quality player at 26.  That would be a win-win deal.  Seattle needs a day 1 OT, they don't want to wait for DEN and NYG to pick their guy, they jump to 17 and get him.  Meanwhile, since we have so many needs on defense, volume makes sense for us.  We should be able to get a pretty good player at 26 and a good slot CB or a rotational DL guy (or perhaps a WR/RB) with that extra third.

Actually, looking at the standard trade value chart, moving from 26 to 17 is more of a very high third move but less than a low second rounder, so we should get more than a third rounder.  Maybe a third rounder this year and a third rounder next year since the Seahawks expect to be fairly good and two low third rounders is fair value.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure.   Among the guys rumored that we like he's the one I personally like the least -- so I am gathering he's going to be the pick.  Heck as much as I've taken down McDowell here, the more I think about it, I'd take him over Peppers.  At least McDowell plays a major position of need.

The thing I like about McDowell is Jim Tomasula.  You're talking about a guy in McDowell who has tremendous physical gifts but sometimes has poor technique and motor.  I know from watching Tomasula at the combine that he's a guy who is going to get his D-line motivated and from what everyone says about his coaching, he's near the top.  How long has it been since we've had a dominant interior defensive lineman?  I honestly cannot remember one over the past decade.  I see McDowell under Tomasula's tutelage as that guy.

Check Peppers turnover ratio and then come back with the playmaker tag. He is no Honeybadger.   

The dude fits the college game great. Because he could run around and tackle all these short spread stuff...but don't think he fits the safety role. Unless it is a SS who plays in the box.

O wait we have spend a second round pick last year on Suaaaaaaaa. 

3 minutes ago, saltydog75 said:

The thing I like about McDowell is Jim Tomasula.  You're talking about a guy in McDowell who has tremendous physical gifts but sometimes has poor technique and motor.  I know from watching Tomasula at the combine that he's a guy who is going to get his D-line motivated and from what everyone says about his coaching, he's near the top.  How long has it been since we've had a dominant interior defensive lineman?  I honestly cannot remember one over the past decade.  I see McDowell under Tomasula's tutelage as that guy.

I've already belabored the Mcdowell stuff so don't want to bore people with the same discussion.  I'll just say this its telling that we've heard rumors of interest in multiple players in this process but not Mcdowell.  Unless its one heck of a smoke screen.    And if anything you'd figure they'd clamor for a guy that plays that position.  But still crickets.

I don't want to get my hopes up for M. Hooker but this would be helpful.  Hooker seems to go to SD in many mocks and they need a safety.

Archived