Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I just have to say, I'm surprised we haven't made a play on any of the big-name DLs in FA. These "upside JAGs" are nice rotational pieces, but if we think we can get away with the DL as it currently exists seems too optimistic. Hankins seems like such a no-brainer to me. We have the cap space for it. Just seems mind-boggling. I expect(ed) us to draft 1-2 DL regardless of what happened in FA, but the lack of a stud on the DL makes me think we are forcing our hand to go DL early and not go BPA ... OR ... go BPA and still have a weak and deficient DL full of JAGS.

It's infuriating. We should be in the mix for Brown and Hankins right now and it's really not close. I wanted 3 impact defenders in FA, we got zero. And I still want the draft to be extremely defense heavy and not on the outsides. We need safeties,  not corners. DTs more than Ends and MLB not OLBs.

Article about red flags.  Funny enough Chris Cooley was talking draft today saying he'd love for them to draft McDowell

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699215-2017-nfl-draft-biggest-questions-still-facing-top-prospects?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Question: Will Malik McDowell's football character hurt his grade?

"Off-field questions" is such a vague term, but it basically means there's some kind of a concern not related to size, strength or ability on the field. To say McDowell has "off-field questions" isn't fair—the kid has never been arrested or in trouble—but when evaluating his football character, NFL scouts are concerned.

When McDowell turns it on on the field, watch out. He's blessed with rare athletic skills that allow him to toy with offensive linemen. It's perhaps because of that skill set that he's not had to work to learn secondary pass-rush moves. McDowell gives off the vibe of a guy who's been good enough athletically to win most battles, so he hasn't had to win with motor or drive.

The thing about work ethic concerns is that you never know, from the outside looking in, what will motivate a kid. An NFL defensive line coach may light a fire under McDowell, and he could become a Pro Bowler, but there's also the chance he'll check out and never reach his potential. That's the risk with some players in the NFL draft.

A Scout Says: "No one likes him. He's not a worker but wants to be the face of the program. Another Connor Cook."

Prediction: McDowell falls to the second round.

Question: Will on- and off-field issues push Dalvin Cook out of the first round?

Cook has never been found guilty of a crime, but there are multiple issues in his past that NFL teams are investigating. Cook was acquitted of a charge of misdemeanor battery in 2015, cited for a violation of animal care in 2014, charged with robbery in 2009 before the charge was dropped and in 2010 was charged with firing a weapon and possession of a weapon on school property, though at least one of those charges was dropped or abandoned. Another incident involved Cook being charged with criminal mischief for allegedly causing property damage with a BB gun.

On the field, Cook has been a dynamic three-down back, but he's dealt with shoulder and hamstring issues while showing a penchant for fumbling. Shoulders issues coupled with fumbles is a good way to see your stock drop.

A Scout Says: "The pattern of bad decisions are alarming, really. With my job on the line, I trust [Joe] Mixon a lot more than Dalvin Cook."

Prediction: Cook falls to Round 2 of the draft.

Question: Are NFL teams convinced Joe Mixon's 2014 assault charge was a one-time mistake?

Mixon will be off the draft boards of some teams, but others will see a Round 1 talent on the field. The former Oklahoma running back has been making the rounds with team visits as of late, and the buzz from scouts and team executives is that he's been impressive in interviews. If that's the case, it will be easy for a team to believe he's remorseful for breaking a woman's jaw and that the player they're drafting is far removed from the 18-year-old kid who threw that punch.

On talent, Mixon is the second-best back in this class behind Leonard Fournette. Interviews will determine whether or not he's picked on the first night of the draft or if his stock falls all the way to Day 3.

A Scout Says: "We can't draft him [because of the assault charge], but he'll be the best running back from this class. He's on par with Zeke [Elliott] and David Johnson."

Prediction: Mixon is drafted in the first 50 picks.

Question: Are Jonathan Allen's shoulder injuries and arthritis enough to drop him in the draft?

Allen had two shoulder surgeries at Alabama and in the days before the combine the Crimson Tide team doctor told NFL Network's Ian Rapoport that Allen has arthritis in both shoulders. It was smart for Allen to get ahead of the news and acknowledge the issue instead so it wouldn't become a bombshell in Indianapolis.

Though he's a sure-fire top-five player on the field, Allen's shoulders may not hold up long-term in the NFL. There's no doubting his toughness after he played through the pain at Alabama, but will the potential risk of losing Allen to injury push a team to select someone like Solomon Thomas of Stanford ahead of him on draft day?

A Scout Says: "He's one of the best players in the draft, but our doctors flagged him at the combine. He'll still go Round 1."

Prediction: Allen is drafted in the 12-20 range of the first round.

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If we don't address DL again ... I'm hoping for Caleb Brantley at #17 or in a trade-down. I like the comps. on him and he'd be versatile. We need an impact DL, and I want BPA, but I'm starting to think we have to go DL-ILB-DL with 3 of our first 4 picks.

I know I'm still holding hope for Steven Daniels and Martrell Spaight to progress at ILB and for Matt Ionadis and Anthony Lanier to progress ... but at some point we need some studs.

With each passing day I think more and more they are targeting Brantley or McDowell with #17.  

I got my doubts about them seeing MLB as a need especially to the degree where they'd go out of their way to draft that position by need.   We haven't heard of them talking to any FA MLBs except for the special teamer they signed and as for their combine meetings if I recall they met with just one MLB but met with a ton of players at D line, safety, CB, WR. 

The #Redskins met with Boston College QB Patrick Towles and appear to have some interest him,… https://www.instagram.com/p/BR8crcblpJf/ 

0 replies1 retweet3 likes

So many good pass rushers in this class. I'm finishing up the OL tape & these edge rushers are killing them. Charles Harris is a stud.

Challenge for teams to order these 3 guys: Derek Barnett Charles Harris Tak McKinley 3 great players, can make a strong case for each 1.

1. I've yet to hear any evaluator use the word "love" when discussing any QB or OT in this draft class. Lots of like, hope, maybe, potential..

How good is this TE class? I have top 3 round grades on 11 players at the pos

22 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

More chance we go RB before DL, the success of Zek will have us itching to take one. Missing piece for Gruden on offense.

The problem with that is that doesn't really effectively fix the issues with the run game. Which is substandard run blocking.

15 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

More chance we go RB before DL, the success of Zek will have us itching to take one. Missing piece for Gruden on offense.

No, please god no.  I don't care if Leonard ****ing Fournette is still on the board.  

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'll bet money McDowell is their entite plan.

Yeah I'd put top money on him or Brantley.  If they are going to shrug off the D line in FA and talk up the draft as the answer they are basically telegraphing this move.  And neither player is hard to target at #17 because it looks like both guys will be there at that pick.

As for the post from DM72 about Kiper.  Kiper claims his mocks are based on buzz more so that evaluations.  His latest mock has some left turns from his previous mocks and others.

#2 Solomon Thomas

#6 OJ Howard

#9 McKinley

#11 Reddick

#15 Foster

#17 McCaffrey

#28 Peppers

#29 Cook

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's infuriating. We should be in the mix for Brown and Hankins right now and it's really not close. I wanted 3 impact defenders in FA, we got zero. And I still want the draft to be extremely defense heavy and not on the outsides. We need safeties,  not corners. DTs more than Ends and MLB not OLBs.

I mean Hankins at one point was rumored to want 10M a year. We're almost 2 weeks and he's not signed there's likely more to it. Same with Brown

14 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Please yes!      Foster, Reddick, Howard, McCaffrey...one of these 4 have to be the pick at 17 or trade down.

I would not want us to take the 3rd or 4th best RB in the draft at 17. He might be there in the 2nd.

No to MaCaffrey at 17. I'm hearing that he is comparable to Danny Woodhead even though he much bigger in size. We already have a back like that in CT. I wouldn't mind another mid round back though because of Chris Thompson injury history and it's not clear if the coaches are done with Matt Jones or not (I hope they are not).

2 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

No to MaCaffrey at 17. I'm hearing that he is comparable to Danny Woodhead even though he much bigger in size. We already have a back like that in CT. I wouldn't mind another mid round back though because of Chris Thompson injury history and it's not clear if the coaches are done with Matt Jones or not (I hope they are not).

I would like to see a guy in the CT role who can get 150/180 carries for 750/800 yards and 50/70 catches for 500/900. 10 TD'S.  

I don't know if CT is that guy because Jay uses him lighty in the running game. 

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So many good pass rushers in this class. I'm finishing up the OL tape & these edge rushers are killing them. Charles Harris is a stud.

I agree about Harris. There's something about Mizzou pass rushers. Too bad he will be in that unreachable range for us between 1st and 2nd round picks. I really like the guy.

My thoughts on the draft in no random order.

*I really REALLY hope Fournette falls to us. About as likely as me winning the lottery though. That guy is a full grown man.

*I like Cook, but am really soured on him by his off field stuff and fumbling. Just based on off field incidents alone, Mixon looks like the better person by a bunch.

*I don't like McCaffrey, I think he will wash out wherever he goes unless it's to NE

*Joe Mixon's running style is really weird. I don't like it, but the guy is good for some huge chunk yards plays, which I'm all for. Doesn't seem to have the breakaway speed that the other guys have though.

*Glad to see Mayock give Samajee some love.. that dude is an absolute wrecking ball. Wish he had a bit more speed though. He reminds me of Eddie Lacy, love how he gets his yards inside picking his way through all the trash.. seems like he has really good vision imo.

*Not high on McDowell, having to light a fire under a guy is rarely going to work.

*If Reddick is available, he's absolutely the pick at 17. Bruce seems to like those 2 for 1 values, I guess he thinks it makes him look smart. I do like that Reddick can turn the corner though, I wouldn't have a problem with him.

@SkinsPassion4LifeTeams with competent ownership/front office/coaches can draft a "luxury" like CM.  The Redskins are not that team.  We neglected the D for years in the draft nor have we addressed the need in free agency and now have no options.  We have to draft for need.  

We also need a stud RB, which CM is not, but a weak running game is not why we lost 7 games last year.  Our defense is a joke!  

ILB - always late, a step behind, solid backups...they are not starters, Foster maybe, WC not so much

DLine - there's Kerrigan and some other guys.....smdh

S - DJ, SC....don't even know if SC can play the S position.  One would think he would've played S all of last year to develop and see if he can actually play that position...smdh  

This draft class is full of defensive prospects with skills to be immediate starters in the NFL.  If we can draft 1 stud with our first pick, that's one less hole, one less need which could possible allow us to draft for luxury or BPA in the future.

I would love to get a stud RB in this draft but not with the first pick and maybe not even the second.  The more I think about it the angrier I get knowing that it will take at least a couple of drafts before we have the luxury of taking a CM type player. 

..and leave CM's color out of it.  I'm not sure what him being white has to do with anything.  He's not an every down back, he's not a burner (4.48), he's a 3rd down back/slot receiver/returner.  He'll be a very good player on the right team like GB, SEA, NEP, PIT, NO.

For reference compare CM to Reggie Bush.  Players with similar offensive roles and almost identical ht/wt.  Bush scored 10 more TDs in college and ran a 4.33 at the combine.  That's why he was the second overall pick, not because he was black.     

20 minutes ago, pray4surf said:

@SkinsPassion4LifeTeams with competent ownership/front office/coaches can draft a "luxury" like CM.  The Redskins are not that team.  We neglected the D for years in the draft nor have we addressed the need in free agency and now have no options.  We have to draft for need.  

We also need a stud RB, which CM is not, but a weak running game is not why we lost 7 games last year.  Our defense is a joke!  

ILB - always late, a step behind, solid backups...they are not starters, Foster maybe, WC not so much

DLine - there's Kerrigan and some other guys.....smdh

S - DJ, SC....don't even know if SC can play the S position.  One would think he would've played S all of last year to develop and see if he can actually play that position...smdh  

This draft class is full of defensive prospects with skills to be immediate starters in the NFL.  If we can draft 1 stud with our first pick, that's one less hole, one less need which could possible allow us to draft for luxury or BPA in the future.

I would love to get a stud RB in this draft but not with the first pick and maybe not even the second.  The more I think about it the angrier I get knowing that it will take at least a couple of drafts before we have the luxury of taking a CM type player. 

..and leave CM's color out of it.  I'm not sure what him being white has to do with anything.  He's not an every down back, he's not a burner (4.48), he's a 3rd down back/slot receiver/returner.  He'll be a very good player on the right team like GB, SEA, NEP, PIT, NO.

For reference compare CM to Reggie Bush.  Players with similar offensive roles and almost identical ht/wt.  Bush scored 10 more TDs in college and ran a 4.33 at the combine.  That's why he was the second overall pick, not because he was black.     

He's not a luxury pick.   We need a RB and he is an every down stud.     I agree about the defense, but the value in this draft for ILB, D-Line is rounds 2-4.

Having said that; I would be pleased if we somehow landed Foster or Reddick...I can live with trading down and taking Caleb Brantley.

Right now only OT is a position I would say is pretty much set. Moses (even I question his runblocking) and Trent are great pare. 

All other positions could use a first round pick. 

TE: Reed is a beast, but we could use a runblocking second guy. Howard would be fine adition even if that means the Davis isn't going to be used a lot. 

WR: Looking long term we have Crowder, that's it. Doctson is question-markt. Pryor might be on a one and done season. I wouldn't be against getting an outside number one reciever like Mike Williams or Corey Davis. 

RB: Fat Rob is a great guy. CT is very likeable. Matt Jones has a lot of potential. Only non of these guys are backs that make a D sweat. Cook, Fournette and McGaffey all have more potential to be better. Most important I feel the have ability to make big plays. When Portis was great for us. Everytime he got the ball you knew a big play could come out of him. That's what I want. 

QB: Captain Kirk situation is shaky...so if there is a rookie QB you think that is great. I wouldn't mind taking him. It gives you long term QB option and if he is the real deal you can let Kirk walk and save a bunch of cap space.  

OC: Long is a okay center but not amazing. Good be upgraded. 

OG: Our left guard is position that I would grade average in the NFL. It's not bad but could be upgraded. 

S: I thing safety is after QB the hardest position to find capable players for. Right now we have a questionable young guy in Sua and Swearinger who has had very up and down career. Finding a guy who could lock down one of the safety spots for years to come would be huge i.m.o. When can then work around to see who takes the second spot. Budda Baker looks to be the best bet for us at the current draft position.  

CB: Outside of Norman we are very shaky at corner. If you can find a great corner to play on the outside it would help a lot. 

OLB: We have a lot of body's at this position but non of them bring that prime passrush ability. We have no pure speed guy that kills QB's. It would help our D a lot if we can find that type of guy. The year that 49ers took Aldon Smith they also had a lot of body's at the position but Smith made there D way better because he would be great sub to get to the QB. 
ILB: Foster and Murphy lack a lot of stuff. They have hearth and passion but not the range or shedding blocks ability. We totally could use a new starting ILB to take the lead on this D. 

DE: Right now at DE we got body's but nothing special. I would grade this position below average in the NFL. Totally could use a upgrade. 

DT: I don't even know who is going to play this role, so yea drafting a guy looks to be key. 

So I would say just grab the best player. We have a lot of room to improve on this team, so it's very hard to mess up. Outside OT there is no position I would say...mwha this guy is going to have limited playing time, be on the bench. Be a luxury pick.

Archived