Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Burgundy and Gold ROOM: Extensive Camp notes from ESers and discussion

SWFLSkins

The idea for this came about from Burgold, after some excellent notes from GoSkins0721.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/402671-swfls-summer-camp-the-official-twitter-thread-rva-style-slip-and-slide-included-boogers-extra-cheerleadercounselors/page-11#entry10656100

My observations from practice yesterday:

When we first got there, we saw Doctson working with a trainer(?). Doc had a huge rubber band around his back & was facing the trainer. Doc would lean back/ squat while lifting 1 leg out toward the trainer. The strain on his face was evident but he was able to due multiple reps on both legs without any noticeable issues (on my untrained eyes). I did see him towards the end of practice running 60-70 yard sprints on the far field. Again, no signs of any issue.

Overall, everything ran very smoothly. Guys were hustling during every session & play. 

Matt Jones looked big & fast; busted through some holes (cutbacks) on several play & continued running hard 30-40 yards downfield. 

Chris Thompson looked good he also had some good cutback runs; 

My favorite session is the OL vs. DL 1:1 drill they run. Kerrigan blew past Moses on the very 1st play. Impressive. 

#63 - Powe - Impressed me during 1:1 - got some good penetration. It was hard to tell who he went up against. Also was around the ball in 11:11; showed some speed & hustle casing ball carrier down. 

#73 - Hood - see above; was impressed busting through in 1:1 for an easy sack;

#32 - Mariel Cooper - dude has some serious speed; chased down a receiver from the opposite side of the field; 

#67 - LeRib - got blown up by somebody (I later read it was Hood); he didn't look good;

#62 - Reiter - held his own in the 1:1; again, didn't see who he was going against

#66 - Nila Kasitati - has that Samoan hair & for a minute I thought it was Laovao; he held his own today in the 1:1

Cousins looked sharp. When under pressure on 1 play, he took off up the left sideline for a 20-30 yard gain. On another, he rolled out to the right & patiently waited before drilling the ball to Niles Paul who made a great sideline catch for a 20-yard gain. I saw Grant snatch the ball on a crossing route in the 7:7 - great catch in stride on a very well thrown pass by Cousins. 

McCoy looked okay. He was intercepted on an under thrown deep ball. 

Sudfield - I see what people are saying about is short passes; his release point is so high it makes the ball point down when he's throwing short; But he's got a gun plus he's huge; the 3rd string line got him killed & he wasn't able to get a pass off in the last 11:11 series that I saw; he had to take off up the middle of the field on 1 play as the defense was all over him.

So many guys had their names covered by their braids/hair or hoods (yeah, some guys had hoods sticking out from the back of their jersey's) I had a hard time seeing their names. 

Can't make it down there today; I'd love to see them with pads. I'd say the crowd was about the size of 1 of the practices I went to last year. Not huge by any means. We stand up on the hill to get a view of the entire field. As reported, it was hot but not as bad as Thursday.

Glad to see the thread. The update on Doctson is heartening esp. that he's doing hard sprints. Achilles tears are scary. I'm glad they're being cautious with it.

Reading your thread made me wonder about the coaches. For those of you who have been going for the last three years how are you seeing their evolution? Are practices crisper? Are roles more defined? Is the organization better? I'm not sure how much you can tell from the distance you are away from the coaches, but one of my big question marks is still Barry. I still don't know what we have in him. Is he good, bad, average? 

Thanks for any insights. Thanks for all the experiences shared.

We've gone all 4 years it's been in Richmond.

Year 1 was all about RGIII coming back from his knee injury.  Summer of 2013

Year 2 was mostly about RGIII picking up a new offense.  Things seemed choppy, but it also was a new coach. Summer of 2014

Year 3 again, it was RGIII vs Cousins and how it would play out.  It ran smoothly though. Summer of 2015

Year 4 Has a totally different vibe.  The players are bigger and everything seems a little more crisp.  Summer of 2016

I'll say this again, the players are HUGE compared to years past.  It's noticeable how larger guys like Norman and Davis are.  Listening to the people around us you constantly hear "Who's that guy? He's enormous" or "wow, that guy is fast!"

Anyone know what days they will be in pads at training camp.

I want to go to camp during one of those days.

You'll probably want to go to the afternoon practices.

As of right now, the regular practice is in the afternoon. They will probably use full pads in those from now on.

The morning practices are usually just walk-throughs. Then, they will probably just use shells.

You'll probably want to go to the afternoon practices.

As of right now, the regular practice is in the afternoon. They will probably use full pads in those from now on.

The morning practices are usually just walk-throughs. Then, they will probably just use shells.

They can only do a certain number of padded practices per the CBA, right? Or is that only during the regular season, and they can do it at will in the offseason?

I'm sure there is only going to be a few full contact practices be nice to know what days they plan to practice in full pads.

Yes it would! I'm out of town this week so I won't be there. But no travel the week of 8/8 so it would be nice to know when they're in pads. Thursday game so might not be any practices in pads that week.

They can only do a certain number of padded practices per the CBA, right? Or is that only during the regular season, and they can do it at will in the offseason?

I have no idea.

I do know that they can only have one full practice a day (no more two-a-days) at training camp.

Not sure if that extends into the regular season.

I read somewhere that Norman was getting smoked by our receivers.  Don't remember where I saw it.  Anyone seen this in person or heard anything?  Are our receivers that good or Norman not looking so good?  Thanks.

It is false.

Some probably have seen that video on the vine of Jackson doing a real nice stop-on-a-dime cut move on Norman and making a catch. Or the nice long pass Jackson caught for a TD (which was really a lot Cousins as it was a very nice in-the-bucket pass) and decided he is getting "smoked" in camp.

Probably mostly Giant fans spreading the falsehoods as they worry about Beckham having to deal with him. :rolleyes:

However, it has been what you expect from two great (and competitive) players like Norman and Jackson. Sometimes Jackson wins, and sometimes Norman wins.

Jackson has done better in the 1-on-1 practices, and Norman has done better in the 11-on-11 practices.

It all evens out. :)

Don't shoot the messenger.  Coworker went to Saturday first full pads practice he said it was a "head scratcher" not much hitting in fact he said you see more hitting in HS practices.  He should know he used to be a HS coach for 10 years.

He also said that Breeland is the real thing and basically looked like man among boys out there in coverage.  This definitely confirms it for me what many of our brothers have been saying while watching at Richmond.  We just may have the sickest 1-2 CBs in the League with major depth behind them.

Also said the only guy that can even keep up with Jackson so far is Breeland, he is practicing at a real high level.  

Knowing everything that happened last season, the type of players Scot and the scouting staff have acquired, the things other teams would say about our physicality... yeah, I'm not going to worry about it being a problem a few days into TC. :lol:

Knowing everything that happened last season, the type of players Scot and the scouting staff have acquired, the things other teams would say about our physicality... yeah, I'm not going to worry about it being a problem a few days into TC. :lol:

I'm not saying I know more than professional coaches, I'm saying my body wouldn't respond well to hits and getting the **** run out of me straight away.  That's how injuries happen quickly.

You can start the hitting after a couple of weeks of the running, etc.

I'm not saying I know more than professional coaches, I'm saying my body wouldn't respond well to hits and getting the **** run out of me straight away. That's how injuries happen quickly.

You can start the hitting after a couple of weeks of the running, etc.

That's an interesting point. I wonder if that's the reasoning behind how we're approaching things?

I don't remember how we did it last year. Was it the same?

Exactly.

Even though the Redskins lost the game to the Patriots, it was gratifying to hear that Belicheck gave his players an extra day off after that game because of how physical it was.

We heard that all year from players of teams that the Redskins faced. That it was one of the most physically demanding games they had played in 2015.

It was one of GMSM's stated goals when he took over the front office. He said he didn't know how many games the team would win in the beginning, but the other team would know they played the Redskins. They would feel it.

Seems like they are accomplishing that goal. :)

I'm not worried about the Steelers from a physical standpoint.

That's an interesting point. I wonder if that's the reasoning behind how we're approaching things?

I don't remember how we did it last year. Was it the same?

Last year was a different program all together because we had the Texans come in and share some time with us at practice.

I think they tailor the program to arrive as technically sounds and physically ready/healthy as possible for week one.

Not sure what the Steelers are doing, but hey, they don't worry me just yet.

Archived