Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

Yeah, unless there's a trade I don't think you'll see any changes to our top 6.

I really wanted Erikkson, but that was stupid money for him.

The only dude left on my list is Nail Yakupov... and I'm not sure who we'd have to trade to get him, but we'd have to move pieces cause he's a top pick.

Then the NHL should have all 30 teams make the playoffs. Better yet, let's rest players and cancel the regular season and just play playoff games.

BTW, you will never convince me they were better. Never, ever.

If you watched the series and didn't think they were better I don't know what to tell you. They outfasted us, had more speed, exploited our weaknesses. That's better in my book. 

You can be delusional and think the President's Cup means something but the fact of the matter is that Murray played slightly better than Holtby, the Penguins HBK line outdid the Caps lines, Kuznetzov continued to be a non-factor, and they won two overtime games which pretty much decided the series. And as a final note the Caps won...0 times in Consol Energy, while the Penguins only needed to win once at Verizon. So yeah, that probably shifted the series in their favor right there. 

They did. They won every game by a goal which means they were slightly better than us. 

Don't let your Caps fandom try to persuade you that we were the better team. If we were the better team we'd have advanced to the ECF. They were faster, their players showed up, we didn't. 

It's time to get over it and just accept it and I don't like it either. I've gone to York, PA and Frederick, MD and Harrisburg, PA and all the malls there have Penguins World Champions shirts and it pisses me off. I don't like it but it just fires me up for next year because their success is not sustainable. 

Also you all see where they extended their GM by 3 years? Rutherford was supposed to sign on after Shero left for a short time until a replacement could be found. He was never intended to be long term. But they have him for 3 more years which means some of the bright Pittsburgh FO people might be headed off to other clubs. 

No one said they walked all over us, they won every game by one goal. But they did have slight advantages that were in their favor (again their midseason acquisitions showed up, ours didn't. Hagelin, Bonino, Sheary, Murray...) 

A few lucky bounces and yes the series goes back to Game 7. IIRC in Game 6 in OT there was a good chance to score but Murray made the save. 

If you watched the series and didn't think they were better I don't know what to tell you. They outfasted us, had more speed, exploited our weaknesses. That's better in my book. 

You can be delusional and think the President's Cup means something but the fact of the matter is that Murray played slightly better than Holtby, the Penguins HBK line outdid the Caps lines, Kuznetzov continued to be a non-factor, and they won two overtime games which pretty much decided the series. And as a final note the Caps won...0 times in Consol Energy, while the Penguins only needed to win once at Verizon. So yeah, that probably shifted the series in their favor right there. 

No where have I ever said that winning the President's Trophy, makes us a better team.  In fact, many times in this thread (and you can search for them) I've said that winning the President's Trophy doesn't mean **** and it's a hollow achievement.

No delusion on my part. I'm taking the whole season and looking at the stats, rosters and other factors to make my decision.  You are only looking at 6 games and making a determination.  I'd rather factor in a lot more.

With that said, as we are all Redskins fans, what do you think of the 1987-88 Super Bowl Champion Redskins?  Do you honestly think they were the better team all season long?  Hell, we didn't even know who was going to start at QB all year long and even up until our first playoff game, we didn't know. The 49ers were a very dominant team that year. We were technically the 4th best team in the NFC that year (SF 13-2, New Orleans12-3, Chicago 11-4, Was 11-4).  Fact is, the 49ers were the better team that year, but we were the better team when it mattered.

Look, I'm not saying the Pens didn't deserve the cup.  Again, they were the better team when it mattered.  I can't take that away from them.  But I'll never be convinced that from top to bottom, they had the better team.  I'd even put St. Louis and Dallas as better teams then them

Like I said, no matter how many times you respond, you will never convince me.  I can do this all the way to opening night. My typing fingers are in great shape.

I rarely agree with ix, but he's spot on here.

They won cause they were the better team.

You can talk about bounces here or there, but they were better.

It is what it is.

They made really good moves around the deadline and we didn't need to.  Hopefully an infusion of youth does the trick this year.

If it's any consolation, the Pens are up against the cap again this season.

no thanks to Yakupov.

Why not?

Second line RW and he'll allow you to put Wilson - Eller - Williams on the third line?  You'd also be able to rotate the three wingers on either line.

Look at the situation Yak was in playing in Edmonton.  Team with ZERO direction and he was yo-yo'd all over the place.  If you can get Yak somehow on the cheap, that's a fantastic gamble to make.  I honestly think he'd thrive here with having a strong/veteran Russian presence in the locker room. 

*edit*

And after seeing what it took to get Taylor Hall to the Devils, it might not take much to get Yak to DC. 

If we went Yak instead of MoJo, I guess 2nd and 3rd lines would be:

Bura-Kuzy/Backy-Yak

Williams-Eller-Wilson

I could get behind that.  I might be on the phone asking about what it'd take to get Yak and use that against MoJo.  If he doesn't take 3.75M/year on a deal, pull the trigger on Yak.

If we went Yak instead of MoJo, I guess 2nd and 3rd lines would be:

Bura-Kuzy/Backy-Yak

Williams-Eller-Wilson

I could get behind that.  I might be on the phone asking about what it'd take to get Yak and use that against MoJo.  If he doesn't take 3.75M/year on a deal, pull the trigger on Yak.

Kuzy is the top line Center, for me. 

But that's what you want to get to in my opinion.  If you need a power infusion you switch Willy or JWill up to the top 6 for an in-game adjustment.

It was believed he could be had for a 2nd round pick during the draft.

But that could also bring ramifications in a year or two when it comes to expansion draft protection as I understand it.

BMac must be looking at something else.

But I think we need one more forward/3rd line goalscorer (like Erikkson would've been) to become legit, and if we're all in for Ovi we'll see it.

The only thing that matters for a Cup champion is all the playoff games. The Penguins were a playoff team top to bottom. Nobody could have beaten them the way Murray was playing. 

The most important thing is how the PEnguins did against the Caps. And based on those 6 games they were faster, more talented, and completely left Capitals defenders in the dust. Remember how Orpik knocked out Matta and then got suspended? They never really found a capable replacement, in fact the guy who ended up filling in gave up the puck which led to the Goal in game 4. While the Penguins just called some scrubs up to replace him (and remember Daley was out too!) and still beat Washington? They were deeper, faster, better. 

I don't care waht negative vibes ES or reddit feel about our moves I like them and I feel like we have addressed weaknesses

Chimera is old and gone and replaced by players like Conolly who hopefully step up and perform in the 3rd line role 

I doubt Connolly will be on the 3rd line unless he suddenly explodes and just makes a fool of opposing 4th liners.  That being said, I'm not doom and gloom on him either.  If he can stabilize at 25 points a season, he'll be solid on that 4th line, adding important consistency to the mix on a line that had people sliding in and out all season.  Of course, Connolly has to beat out Galiev for the privilege, so that'll be an interesting battle, but frankly Connolly *should* smoke him.  Same age, but Connolly has put up about 1 point per 3 games over the past two years (17 over 55 in '14-'15, 25 over 71 last year) compared to Galiev putting up 1 point per 8 games.  Gal has a lot fewer games the last two years (24 versus 120ish), but the fact that Gal hasn't gotten more games kind of speaks to the issue.

Our only moves are bringing in a 3C and dropping an old speedster. Plus losing a quick top 6 player.

So far, seems like a net loss and we are hoping for Wilson to step up to a top flight power forward(which I would love, but seems unlikely)

Moves seem stagnant to me.

Archived