Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo: The superbug that doctors have been dreading just reached the U.S.

mistertim

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/26/the-superbug-that-doctors-have-been-dreading-just-reached-the-u-s/

For the first time, researchers have found a person in the United States carrying bacteria resistant to antibiotics of last resort, an alarming development that the top U.S. public health official says could mean "the end of the road" for antibiotics.

The antibiotic-resistant strain was found last month in the urine of a 49-year-old Pennsylvania woman. Department of Defense researchers determined that she carried a strain of E. coli resistant to the antibiotic colistin, according to a study published Thursday in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, a publication of the American Society for Microbiology. The authors wrote that the discovery "heralds the emergence of a truly pan-drug resistant bacteria."

Colistin is the antibiotic of last resort for particularly dangerous types of superbugs, including a family of bacteria known as CRE, which health officials have dubbed "nightmare bacteria." In some instances, these superbugs kill up to 50 percent of patients who become infected. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has called CRE among the country's most urgent public health threats.

More at the link...

Ut oh...this is not good.

I believe in mankind's ability to outsmart the bacteria. It may cull the herd some.

Yup. Work is already being done.

A few more incidents will likely get congress on notice. On the media end, The Economist dedicated this weeks issue to antibiotic resistance so it's an issue that's picking up mainstream attention as well.

Nope, I've already decided it's the end of humanity and have started running amok. 

I'm putting everyone on notice here and in 3D to let me know if they can tell a difference.

If the world is ending can I be a mod for a day?

CRE does not normally infect normal healthy people so that should limit it quite a bit.

"They don't need to know that"

If it culls the anti-vaxxers, should we really consider this such a bad thing?.

No. Would probably cut down on needless spread of infection. A necessary sacrifice. They'll want to do it anyway, for the good of humanity. I mean after all its nothing but the Illuminatti trying to implant them on the sly with control chips.

Nope, I've already decided it's the end of humanity and have started running amok. 

I'm putting everyone on notice here and in 3D to let me know if they can tell a difference.

I'm wondering if there's a way to get in on a hedge fund or something to take advantage of this.  Maybe do a short sale on some Johnson & Johnson stock because no one is going to be buying that sanitizer stuff anymore.

Archived