Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tandler's - Need to Know: Is Jackson’s absence from some Redskins OTAs an issue?

The Rook

If it is Spring, then DeSean Jackson is probably missing the voluntary OTAs. ;)

http://realredskins....-otas-an-issue/

I thought this article brought up some valid points and the real head-scratcher was missing the HALF MILLION $ workout bonus. :blink:

Here are some quotes:

"But it appears that Jackson would have some legitimate incentive to attend the workouts this year. For one thing there was a pretty strong financial incentive in the form of a $500,000 workout bonus. The past tense is used there because he already has missed too many workouts to be able to qualify for it."

"There also is the fact that last year was the worst of his career. He missed six games with a hamstring injury and he had career lows in receptions (30) and receiving yards (528). The injury happened early in the first game of the season after he had spotty attendance at OTAs and was out for most of training camp and all of the preseason games with a shoulder injury."

"There also is the age factor. Jackson will be 30 before the season ends. As players age, they need to work harder and harder in the offseason to be able to stay on the field. He can’t maintain the same work habits he had in his twenties and expect to be a productive player in his thirties."

I can't help but feel that some of the early injury last year may be the result of not preparing enough. (I think he even mentioned that.)

How many of you would forego $500,000?

The Rook :)

Like last year, it will be purely about production on the field.  Now, if he goes and is injured for the first several weeks of the season again, I think at that point you can safely say "Yes, any player should make OTAs just so that they are in shape for the season".

Why don't we just tell the whole 100 or so players to go home and train on there own if these OTA's are not that important, I am for everybody including injured players to turn up everyday required, we are a team and need to stick together both now, training camp and the start of the season. Anybody that doesn't want to then take the first plain away from redskins park, especially someone(Jackson ) who caught just 30 pass due to being injured a lot.

I know he's not working out right now, he has been posting pics of himself and his family on vacation in St. Marten.

I think he left the island today, so maybe he will show-up for workouts this week.

Some are missing some important factors:

#1- The new culture being established is not consistent with a leader of the team not placing value on OTAs

#2- Jackson not showing up could be one of the reasons he will not be rewarded with an extension (I see great value in Jackson's on field ability, so it sucks to know Scott and staffs hands will be tied to an extent, in order to protect the integrity of the team moving forward)

#3- The right thing is to show up to a majority of OTAs, not all, though.

#4- No way is he not collecting on that 500k-- Curious to know if the facts support what is being relayed from media. My guess we'll hear different later on.

I figured this would make it's way here.

The short answer is this is nothing but media created bull****! The idea that because he missed a few days of OTAs in May last year somehow caused his hamstring in September is still one of the silliest things I have ever heard.

He got injured running into the sled during one of the early TC practices and could not practice. So unless you are willing to stand behind the only reason he ran into the sled was because he missed a few days of OTAs (very dumb conclusion), then please let's move on from that really preposterous idea. Again, there is nothing, no factual data to support such the dumb notion that missing a few days of OTAs in May caused a hamstring in September. 

Further, my understanding is he has a new-born (per a quote from D Hall). If this is true, then the media is providing a double standard. Several other players are missing OTAs to spend time with a newborn and all are saying that's understandable, but they are ignoring that with Jackson. Heath Evans went so far as to trash Jay Gruden for not being an ass about it. What a dumbass! No research, just running at the mouth!

It's off season and the media is trying desperately to create drama for the Redskins because it makes their paychecks bigger. They really just need to just STFU!

It's a fact that he has a new-born. He also lives in California...that's a long trek back and forth as D. Hall pointed out.

And he will not collect his $500k bonus...he needed to have 90% participation and he's already missed to many days to hit that number.

Still...it's a non issue. 

It's a fact that he has a new-born. He also lives in California...that's a long trek back and forth as D. Hall pointed out.

And he will not collect his $500k bonus...he needed to have 90% participation and he's already missed to many days to hit that number.

Still...it's a non issue.

In your opinion, will Scott want to resign Jackson??

In your opinion, will Scott want to resign Jackson??

This decision has nothing to do with if he is at OTAs in May. The two have zero correlation. It has everything to do with how he plays this year, and how Doctson and Crowder develop. It will also depend on if the team continues to develop and become a consistent playoff team. At least one of Jackson and/or Garcon will not be here next year but neither we here if we take a big step back. 

Right now Jackson is the more explosive playmaker, but Garcon is steady and does the nasty work. If Crowder continues to develop and Doctson comes as advertised, it will come down to money. Jackson will want more money than Garcon who I think will be willing to take a little less to be on an up and coming team. Not sure Jackson will be willing to do that too.

None of this has anything to do with a few days of OTAs in May!

Note: Not trying to be an ass but it's Scot not Scott.

This decision has nothing to do with if he is at OTAs in May. The two have zero correlation. It has everything to do with how he plays this year, and how Doctson and Crowder develop. It will also depend on if the team continues to develop and become a consistent playoff team. At least one of Jackson and/or Garcon will not be here next year but neither we here if we take a big step back. 

Jackson not showing for a few OTA's in May (Also his history of not doing so)  I believe plays a part in the overall assessment of whether to make commitment to a long term deal for a WR that will play out the contract in his early 30's. His impact on the field is clear, I don't think we'll see discover anything new this year-- I understand him staying healthy is a factor, but playing 14-16 games will not be reason Scot offers extension. 

I only raise questions, because I don't think him not attending helps his chances of returning, as I value his talent and tremendous fit with current personnel. 

Jackson not showing for a few OTA's in May (Also his history of not doing so)  I believe plays a part in the overall assessment of whether to make commitment to a long term deal for a WR that will play out the contract in his early 30's. His impact on the field is clear, I don't think we'll see discover anything new this year-- I understand him staying healthy is a factor, but playing 14-16 games will not be reason Scot offers extension. 

I only raise questions, because I don't think him not attending helps his chances of returning, as I value his talent and tremendous fit with current personnel. 

And I think it's absolute and totally a none issue. They are called voluntary for a reason. What I find a bit perplexing is you say a few days of OTAs when he wants to stay home with his new born baby (for which all others are given a pass for), is relevant but his play over 14 to 16 gms is not. Remind me again why we have players? I apparently mistakenly thought it was to play and win games.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEZeDvmONqq/?taken-by=0ne0fone 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEjiGE2uNkx/?taken-by=0ne0fone

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEywRXIONgg/?taken-by=0ne0fone

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFZgEEIuNkJ/?taken-by=0ne0fone

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFg7q9guNlm/?taken-by=0ne0fone

All of these posts are of him working out with his ppl or hanging out with his baby.

We have this same dumbass argument every year. You know how DJax is. At the end of the day, he performs on the field and always has. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE_6pZ6ONtS/?taken-by=0ne0fone

It's a non issue as far is this year goes, I agree. His teammates and organization will all have to give bull crap answers in an attempt to support him. Im a supporter of Jackson, just hope his history and continued resistance to attend workouts the large majority on team attend will not prevent him from having a future with team.

I'm probably thinking too far ahead lol

Oh, and... Who cares about his baby pictures, dude hasn't been involved in offseason his whole career. His baby isn't the reason lol

Heath Evans went so far as to trash Jay Gruden for not being an ass about it. What a dumbass! No research, just running at the mouth!

Heath Evans is a moron (big surprise, right? :) ).

The OTAs are 100% voluntary.

If Coach Gruden in any way demanded Jackson be there or threatened his position on the team in any way with punishment, benching, or being cut if he didn't show up for OTAs, the NFLPA could file a grievance on behalf of Jackson. Then Coach Gruden (and the team, maybe) would be in trouble.

Evans needs to stick to what he does best.... keeping quiet on the set with a stupid look on his face.

I said this in the other thread. If there was an Internet in the 80s when Riggins and Dexter were around, your heads would have exploded because of what those two used to do. Sonny used to show up on game day with a hangover. But none of it mattered because they performed on Sundays...as does DJax. As I said, much ado about nothing. Talk to me if he doesn't show up at mandatory or in July.

Archived