Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RealRedskins: What are the Redskins' most important remaining needs?

Twelfth man

Rich Tandler's article

http://es.redskins.com/topic/401217-tandlers-need-to-know-what-are-the-redskins%E2%80%99-most-important-remaining-needs/

that HapHaszard posted, is a great question; I had two similar and two different concerns; at this point in time, I feel the four most important remaining areas of need are:

1. DL - Who will emerge as the starting NT and RDE? (presuming Baker will play LDE)

2. OL - Is there enough quality competition at center and LG?

3. Safety - Is there enough experience and injury-free depth?

4. RB - As the team goes through OTAs / preseason schedule, will the Redskins feel the need to reach out to Pierre Thomas or another CFA?

They took 4th and 7th round Interior OL in the draft just last year--if they believe in those players and Callahan making similar picks would have made no sense this year, those guys have to have a chance to develop. So even though I agree its a weak area of the team I'm not concerned with the process for addressing it at all.

Reiter they said showed up huge and Takoby Jones looks great. Arie should be ready. Litch is back and they're working Long at C.

I'm not worried about OLine and I like our depth.

We may not have even a serviceable RB.

ILB? I hope Compton takes a Moses like step forward. Other than that, nothing exciting, but there's some depth.

TE better be a ****ing strength this year.

Overall health. That's a big concern.

They took 4th and 7th round Interior OL in the draft just last year--if they believe in those players and Callahan making similar picks would have made no sense this year, those guys have to have a chance to develop. So even though I agree its a weak area of the team I'm not concerned with the process for addressing it at all.

To add to your point, we went from being one of the teams that least spend draft resources on Olinemen under Vinny, to being one of the most under Shanahan/Bruce/Scot. 

We've spent a 4th overall (Trent) and a 5th overall (Sherff) in the first, a 2nd (Moses), two 3rds (Leribeus, Long), a 4th (Kuandjio), a 5th (Gettis), a 6th (Compton), and four 7s (Reiter, Maurice Hurt, Eric Cook, Selvish Capers). Most coming from within the last two drafts prior to this recent one.  

It's amazing when you compare that with the total 3 years prior to that (2007-2009) in the draft. We took one Olineman, Chad Rinehart, in the 3rd. That's it. One guy in those three years. I'm scared to look back more. I think Dockery in the 3rd would be the significant one before 2007. If we go back far enough, Chris Samuels of course.

But, that's disgusting.

We've got to be comfortable, at this point, with the amount of resources spent on the Oline. Within those years we've also invested significantly in Free Agency on the Oline. Right now we've got a couple expensive guys in Lauvao and Lichtensteiger still here, too. Not to mention a guy like Ty Nsekhe who signed on as a cheap FA who has worked out great for depth.

Yeah, if we can't find a very good, if not great, lineup out of these guys it'd be a failure in scouting or coaching, not in investment or in addressing of need.       

1. RB (all of the RBs on the roster have been injury prone and we don't have anyone who is a sure thing) - I expect us to pick up a veteran RB before/during Training Camp;  

2. 320 lb+ NT (good depth at DE, but I would like one more big body);  

3. FS (hope Hall stays healthy - not sure who his back-up is w Jarrett injured and Blackmon unproven at S)

I wish that we had a star at C, and at ILB - but I think that we can get by this year w the talent we have there (even if we don't have any difference makers at those positions). 

Since center is a hot topic here, thought I'd quote this article Hap just posted in BRBN:

http://m.richmond.com/redskins-xtra/article_2d0b27a1-499b-56de-a1b7-3ad577ca1e3f.html?mode=jqm

ASHBURN - Austin Reiter missed out on his chance to make the Redskins 53-man roster last year. He’s determined not to let the same thing happen this time around.

Reiter, a center who was taken in last year’s draft out of South Florida, took part in Washington's rookie minicamp this weekend. He was eligible since he was only on the practice squad during 2015.

He towered over the other newcomers, both with his play and his size - he’s added about 15 pounds, and now stands 6-foot-3, 307 pounds.

Reiter was initially cut from the roster after last year’s training camp. His hope was to convince coaches that they needed to take a backup center (veteran Kory Lichtensteiger has a firm grip on the starting job), but ultimately the Redskins opted to let guard Josh LeRibeus handle those backup duties.

Reiter also wasn’t added to the team’s practice squad at first. He spent about three weeks as a free agent, auditioning with the Buccaneers, Titans and Eagles.

“I was on my way to Boston for a workout with the Patriots when (the Redskins) called me and said, ‘We’re signing you back to our practice squad,’” Reiter said. “I hadn’t heard a word from them.”

That call became an opportunity a few weeks later, when Lichtensteiger went down with a neck injury.

LeRibeus rotated into the starting job, but the Redskins needed a new backup.

“For those three weeks, they were telling me I might get signed (to the 53-man roster),” Reiter said. “I was really excited, really trying to work for it and prepare my mind for a game week.

“Ultimately, they signed (free agent) Brian de la Puente. They brought me upstairs and told me I was doing a great job, and to ride it out, that crazy things can happen during the season.”

That was the end of attrition in 2015 - Lichtensteiger ultimately returned for the playoff loss to Green Bay - but the beginning of what Reiter hopes is a long and fruitful career.

He’ll compete with LeRibeus this summer in Richmond for the backup job, and said he’s taken his training to new levels this offseason, including adding the additional weight.

“I spent my offseason dedicating my body to the craft, and honestly, it was a discipline thing,” he said. “You have to eat five or six meals, and it has to be good food. You can’t eat pizza and stuff or you’ll slow down, and everybody knows how fast the NFL is.”

He was pleased with how the weekend of drills went. Coach Jay Gruden echoed that praise, but added that for Reiter, the real test will come against the top competition.

“We’ll see once we get the veterans in here and we do some practices and get the pads on,” Gruden said.

Be very cool if Reiter emerged. At guard, I think somewhere between Long, Lauvao, and Kwadijo (sp) I think we have an answer. Lavaou looked solid before injury. Long held up pretty well for his first game action and with an offseason and more Callahan tutoring should get better, and Kwandijo was highly regarded.

The goal on the D Line seems to be interchangeable parts with the unit more important than any star or position. We'll see how that works out.

So, I'm going to say our greatest need is running back. Not sure we have a first down starter or his back up. Hope Jones makes a leap or that Marshall can show up, but we have no provens on that line at all... even our third down back is a bit of a question mark because of durability issues.

We may not have even a serviceable RB.

ILB? I hope Compton takes a Moses like step forward. Other than that, nothing exciting, but there's some depth.

I think between Spaight and Cravens, we may have some hard hitting speedy guys at ILB. I'm excited to see how that develops.

I think between Spaight and Cravens, we may have some hard hitting speedy guys at ILB. I'm excited to see how that develops.

I am too, but who knows.

I would definitely sign Pierre Thomas or some other veteran running back from another team before the season begins.

might want to sign him and foster

DL in general is my biggest concern. DT specifically seems to just be a black hole. Outside of Baker, the rest of the DL seem like bunch of ok guys, but not really a standout starter. Hopefully someone steps up there

ILB is of mild concern, but it seems easier to find players that can play. Between Foster, Compton, and the last two years of picks, I'm hoping at least one player can step forward.

C remains a question mark. Heck, LG does too. But there's a lot of possible options for LG. Someone should step up. C I'm less certain off.

The team will likely need another RB. Probably the easiest position to find cheap talent at, but it's not certain the Redskins will. The position is woefully thin on experience or pedigree

@TSO...saw that article immediately after I posted, and thought..."maybe?" I get your point about the draft investments, but they have to pan out. Sure it increases our odds of that, but as of right now? We don't know. I hope some picks step up.

Last year it was evident that C and LG were a weakness (later, post injuries). I pray Arie K. and Reiter work out, if not them? Someone else.

Succesful running and passing game all starts at the Oline...same with defense...as we all know.

Coaches and GMSM feel confident, who knows? Maybe we get exposed and it gets addressed next year. Or they are right and real progress is made.

IDK

I'm not sure this is the place to ask and I DO NOT INTEND TO HIJACK THIS THREAD!!!!  But are the Skins still interested in Anquan Boldin at all?

Back on topic. I would have to think center and NT. I hope the RB they got does what they want otherwise that too maybe.

I'm not sure this is the place to ask and I DO NOT INTEND TO HIJACK THIS THREAD!!!! But are the Skins still interested in Anquan Boldin at all?

Back on topic. I would have to think center and NT. I hope the RB they got does what they want otherwise that too maybe.

maybe if we trade Garcon, but even now with Doctson, I doubt it.

I'm interested to see June 1rst cuts. I think that'll show exactly where the FO thinks we're at and what holes we have. Who might be available.

I do think we're built to make a run and if we start like we played the second half of the year, we will.

maybe if we trade Garcon, but even now with Doctson, I doubt it.

I'm interested to see June 1rst cuts. I think that'll show exactly where the FO thinks we're at and what holes we have. Who might be available.

I do think we're built to make a run and if we start like we played the second half of the year, we will.

Yeah, I just mentioned (long-windedly) in another thread that we have a lot of people entering their 2nd/3rd years (in the NFL, as starters, etc.), as well as it being the 2nd and 3rd year of scheme continuity for the defense and offense respectively. Heck, just being the 2nd year for McVay, Barry, Callahan and Cousins (as a starter) should/could be huge for the team.

Yeah, I just mentioned (long-windedly) in another thread that we have a lot of people entering their 2nd/3rd years (in the NFL, as starters, etc.), as well as it being the 2nd and 3rd year of scheme continuity for the defense and offense respectively. Heck, just being the 2nd year for McVay, Barry, Callahan and Cousins (as a starter) should/could be huge for the team.

yeah, I've mentioned that a few times. I also think with the way we're bringing in scheme specific players, unless one side of the ball crashes horridly, the coaching staff is in place for a while. That's a great thing. Players and coaches growing up in it together.

With Doctson, Jamo, Grant and Ross, we've got 4 young receivers. If Cousins continues to play at that high level, he won't be so reliant on veteran receivers.

I don't see us bringing in Boldin and if Doctson shows well in camp, I think Garcon could be traded.

Reiter they said showed up huge ...

Kool,

When you say this, do you mean "huge" as in size or "huge" as in has been looking great in OTAs?

Personally, I'm very concerned about C even with Lich back. Our run game and interior line play was a huge weak spot for us last season.

Kool,

When you say this, do you mean "huge" as in size or "huge" as in has been looking great in OTAs?

Personally, I'm very concerned about C even with Lich back. Our run game and interior line play was a huge weak spot for us last season.

big and strong and ready to play.

Could you imagine if he had a Moses esque jump? Kick ass.

Archived