Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Big Plays

Twelfth man

The web site, Sporting Charts, listed our Redskins as the penultimate team in "big play" performance last season, surrendering 30 more big plays than generated (only the Chargers were worse).  They defined big plays as rushing plays over 10 yards and passing plays over 25 yards.

Washington Redskins 1,011 63 32 31 6.23% 93 -30

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-big-play-statistics/2015/

I'm hoping the players acquired this off-season will help generating more offensively and surrendering less defensively.  Need D-line and safeties to step their game up!  Hopefully new players like Daniels can help with tackling.  Can't wait for the season to start on September 12th!

An 11 yard run is a big play these days?

Huh.

That's a new one on me. They even call it an "explosive" play. I didn't see a chart for big run play differential, and the fact we were lousy running the ball last year is no secret. But I can't see a chart for the defense giving up big runs.

I'm not disagreeing with our ranking, i think we should be in the bottom of both rush categories. Just a bit hard to bite on 10 yards being an 'explosive play". (Even if they changed it,,   for us last year a big run was about 6.)

~Bang

I thought I read a stat on this board somewhere that the Redskins were actually pretty good at not surrendering the big run play (only giving up 11 rushing plays of 20+ yards).

Just like they were pretty good at not giving up the short yardage play (I think they lead the league, in fact, in stopping short yardage plays).

It was the meat-and-potato middle runs (7 to 10 yards) that killed them.

See, this is one of those "circumstantial" stats. I know, the "garbage time" thing has been thrown around a lot but it's true. The difference between these teams in this column is really marginal, even if it looks like a big number difference.

Winning teams win with consistent play and the occasional explosive play. EVERY team gives up the occasional explosive play, and it's always circumstantial. A guy fell down, there was a bad match up, there was a penalty etc. Our D allowed too many 3rd and longs, it didn't just allow guys to go highlight reel all over us, it was the boring stuff that happens in the trenches to allow the other team just enough yards for another set of downs.

big plays are exciting, and we love em with DeSean, but this stat does not mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Well, Kirk did say in his most recent interview that generating big plays off of cover 0 or all-out blitzes has been the major point of emphasis thus far this offseason.

So I think they understand this and would like to create more big plays consistently. Oh, and we just happened to draft the best big play WR coming out of college this year.

That being said, I bet if you took the last month of the season and compared teams we'd fare a lot better.

Let's not forget, we went into the season with an intense focus on being conservative, sticking to the run, and not putting too much on the QB. A lot of that has to do with why assessments of Kirk earlier in the season were way off by some, because they didn't frame his performances in that context.

Now, some will say they should've let that go and relied more on Kirk earlier than they did, but who knows how that would've affected things.

In the end, he was able to flourish and I'm confident a big part of that was how comfortable he got within the scheme while not having to force things too much, and that came from the approach they had.

So, yeah, big plays were non-existent earlier on due to that as well as Desean's absence. But it was all worth it, in my mind. We have a coaching staff that can actually develop young players for the first time in forever. It's quite lovely.

Well, Kirk did say in his most recent interview that generating big plays off of cover 0 or all-out blitzes has been the major point of emphasis thus far this offseason

Cover 0 with an all out blitz was Haslett's favorite. With the addition of Doctson and a healthy DJax I hope they will rejuvenate Sprint Bomb.

One thing that actually impressed me last year was although our run game was poor in terms of results we stuck with it . I hope we do not go too much away from that philosophy - but I also hope we do get better results 

See, this is one of those "circumstantial" stats. I know, the "garbage time" thing has been thrown around a lot but it's true. The difference between these teams in this column is really marginal, even if it looks like a big number difference.

Abbreviated to save space

I only looked into this stat when Joe Barry brought it up this week as one of the areas to address the yards per carry average of the Redskins, penultimate last season at 4.8 yards per carry average (only the Saints were worse at 4.9 yards).  The other area he brought up was to improve tackling.

I have to think D-Jax not missing seven games would have significantly helped our big pass play numbers.

frankly, i think he IS the most explosive big play receiver in the NFL.

No one adjusts to the deep ball better, and once it's up, if it is in his range he is coming down with it.

I know folks sort of wave him off after this year's contract is up, but man, speed KILLS, and there are not many in the league with the burst and game-speed he has. It has significant value.

~Bang

I would tend to agree with you Bang. Speed kills.

As long as you can catch the ball, which is still the most important thing in a pass.

That's quite funny, can't remember who said it (maybe than was Bill Parcells again), but:

"Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them aren't good".

Still, the NFL as embraced this philosophy.

And it looks like they only take into account the offensive big plays? not the defensive ones...

I don't think our D had a problem giving up huge plays. I think the problem was we gave up too many of the intermediate plays(in that 10-20 yard range).

Offensively once we got D Jax back we were real good in the big play department. I expect that to be even better this year with Cousins being more comfortable and Jax hopefully being healthy all year.

They defined big plays as rushing plays over 10 yards and passing plays over 25 yards.

This is idiotic.  An 11 yard rush is a big play, but a 24 yard pass isn't? Looks like they are unwilling to accept that passing is a lot more important than rushing in the current NFL.

Here is a better definition of big play: 20+ yards, and if it comes on 3rd or 4th down, it needs to result in a TD or first down. (Gaining 20 yards on 3rd and 30 is not a big play)

I'd argue that with our putrid running game last season, an 11 yard rush for us should have been considered a home run.

The Redskins averaged 3.7 yards per carry last season, only the Colts (3.6) and Chargers (3.5) were worse.  I think the offense line contributed to the poor running game, especially after Shawn Lauvao and Kory Lichtensteiger got injured.

I'd argue that with our putrid running game last season, an 11 yard rush for us should have been considered a home run.

Haha yup sadly I would agree

The Redskins averaged 3.7 yards per carry last season, only the Colts (3.6) and Chargers (3.5) were worse.  I think the offense line contributed to the poor running game, especially after Shawn Lauvao and Kory Lichtensteiger got injured.

Most offensive lines tend to excel in either pass blocking or run blocking. Ours is not different. Last year our QB only was sacked 26 times, compared to other 16 game starters that was tops in the league (Bortles (51), Rodgers (46), Russell Wilson (45), Brady (38), etc)

Middle of the D was a big issue. We should be better in 2 of those 3 areas (S, ILB and NT) so let's hope it helps.

How are we getting better at NT? Do we have that much faith in Ioannidis? (Cool name) 

I feel we will be much better at the other two positions though. 

Archived