Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #Redskins Quotes - GM Scot McCloughan

TK

May 2, 2016

Redskins Park

General Manager Scot McCloughan

Opening statement:

“First off, I want to start with this. The whole organization did a really, really good job this week. From the coaches, from the front office, from the scouts, just really quality, quality work. Last year, I came in, I was kind of rushed into it. I was kind of nervous about certain things. We’re all on the same philosophy now, same vision. And I think it helped out a lot this year, just, with movements made, with trades, and the players we drafted, it was an excellent, excellent three days for us.”

On this year’s draft class and what he likes about it:

“It was nice – I wanted more picks, but we get more picks for next year. So, we get seven guys, and guys that we identified as ‘football players.’ I thought that was very important. It’s just not the player himself, it’s also the character, and that’s huge to me. You look to the right, you look to your left – you’re a team. Take care of each other, you’re going to win more than you’re going to lose, you’re going to be all right. It was a good draft. I feel really good about the talent we got and the people we got.”

On WR Josh Doctson:

“Best player on the board, like I preach, guys. We sat there. If you have talked to me before the draft, I would have never thought that would happen. I thought he’d be gone. You know, we’re watching the board. It’s shaking out and all of a sudden – boom – he’s the guy. And again, it’s just not the player, it could be a 6-2, 200-pound receiver that’s very, very talented but also the person, and it was a slam dunk. Now you guys can understand what I preach about, ‘cause I’m sure none of you thought I would take a receiver because we have got depth and we’ve got a good core. But he was the best football player on the board.”

On CB Kendall Fuller’s prognosis:

“Any time you have a surgery, there’s something to it, especially at a skill position like that, with the knee, with movement and all that. I trust my doctors. I trust the trainers. We passed him on the physical. He’s going to be OK. Now, 100 percent for sure, who knows? But I felt good enough to know the kind of player he is, the kind of person he is, where he comes from family-wise, he’s going to do everything in his power to make sure he’s a football player for us. When you get to the third round, to get a corner that I think can be a starting corner is excellent.”

On the impact Doctson’s selection has on WRs DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garçon:

“They’re both really good football players. We won the NFC East last year with them. They’re not going anywhere. They’re football players and I respect it. We just took the best player. The thing that happens is injuries and stuff goes on and this and that. No, I want to build this roster with 53. It’s not about two, it’s not about five, it’s not about 10. It’s about 53, and that’s how we’re going to win and lose on Sundays.”

On his frequent use of the term “football players” and what he means by it:

“It’s very important to me… Height/weight/speed is cool, you know, and that’s what everybody looks for, and I’m looking for it, too, because it’s a big man’s game. But the personality, the competitiveness, the passion for the game, understand it’s about team, understand that we’re going to take care of each other no matter what, it’s huge to me. The one thing that I really, really respect about the guys we took? Tough guys. Tough guys that are going to battle. Each day they’re going to come out here on the practice field and battle. And that’s what I want. But also like I said, I want high character. I want them to understand, ‘Listen, it’s not about me, it’s about us.’ And that’s what we’re trying to build here culture-wise. And the coaches have done a great job this last year getting that implemented, and the scouts have done a great job looking for those type of guys. I can’t give the college scouts or the pro scouts enough credit for what they do for me.”

On CB Chris Culliver:

“I’ll let you guys know this, I just spoke to him. We just released him. Very good conversation. Chris is a professional. This is the tough part for me about this business is having to do stuff like that with any player, but especially with him because of the injury and that stuff. It was a great conversation. It gives him an opportunity to go out there and test free agency and our door is not closed yet either.”

On Culliver’s rehab:

“He’s doing really well. Talking to Dr. [James] Andrews, he’s doing really well. He’s every day busting his tail. He’s going to be in the league – might be here, might be somewhere else – but that just happened probably a half-hour ago.”

On when the plan for Culliver began to change:

“Well, getting [Josh] Norman, getting [Kendall] Fuller kind of changed things. It’s going to be kind of tricky – I don’t want to say dates about coming back, but like I said, talking to Dr. Andrews, he’s doing a really good job. He’s ahead of schedule and everything’s going positive for him.”

On not addressing the defensive line until the fifth round:

“I was looking. Again, it’s best player [available]. It’s 53 guys. In my personal opinion, if you draft for need, that’s when you get in trouble because all of the sudden you’re like, ‘Son of a gun, we had these three guys higher and they’re going to the Pro Bowl, but we forced the issue to take that guy.’ I wanted to address it early. I wanted to address it [in the] first five picks, but again, I’m taking the best football player. I have to. For me to do my job and make this organization as strong as it can be, I’ve got to take the best football players.”

On comparing the defensive line depth in the draft class to the depth on the roster:

“Yeah, you can say that, but looking at the depth and looking at the names and that stuff, but you know what, we still have good football players on the defensive line. We’ve got a lot of good football players on the defensive line. I would have loved to add a younger guy – younger guys – but it didn’t work that way. Like I said, we went into it and if you had told me the night before I’m taking a receiver in the first round, I would have laughed at you and said you’re crazy. But he was the best player. I don’t want to force the issue, but I understand where our depth is at. I understand who can and can’t play. We’re OK upfront. We’re OK.”

On if he expects this draft class to contribute as much as the 2015 class:

“Well, I hope so, but the thing about it is… The way I look at it, this morning I was on the radio, they were saying, ‘Hey, you got an A, you got a B.’ I don’t care about that. You can give me an F. It doesn’t matter. What I look at? Three years from now, see what happens. Like I said, we took football players. We took character and football players, and that’s what we’re going to build with. We’re going to have our superstars step up and more Pro Bowlers and all of that. But you build your team with good football players that are good people that are high character that can get after it, and that’s huge.”

On if acquiring future picks is an underrated commodity:

“It is, because a lot of people don’t want to do it because it’s not immediate impact. ‘Well, that’s next year. What about this year?’ Coaches want this year, which I understand completely. But what it gives me the opportunity to do is not just worry about next year’s draft and trading up and that kind of stuff, but this offseason and during the season trading. We’ve got multiple picks now.”

On if turning a fifth-round pick into a future fourth-round pick is more valuable than selecting a player:

“Well, the thing about it was if I was dead set on the guys on the board at that pick, I would have taken them. But knowing I can get a fourth next year for them and knowing that it gives me ammunition to trade around too later if need be this year or next year? Yeah, it’s valuable.”

On if Culliver’s suspension and its impact on his contract made it easier to release him:

“It didn’t make it easier. Like I said, I respect Chris. And there’s a reason why Chris has been a good football player, and that’s not going to change. He’s a good person. It was just the numbers and what we have going now. Norman came out of nowhere. We didn’t know. And – boom – it falls into your lap with Fuller. [bashaud] Breeland I really respect. So we had the numbers. So that’s what I said. The door is not closed. He can go out there and test the market and see what happens and hopefully he gets what he wants. But from my standpoint, I have no problem bringing him back here. No problem whatsoever.”

On if a hybrid player like S Su’a Cravens would have been a top pick 10 years ago:

“From the standpoint of a football player, he would have been. But nowadays with these offenses we’re facing… and the thing that’s really cool about him is the diversity he brings – safety, linebacker, maybe a nickel linebacker, maybe a nickel corner. I mean, the guy is a really good football player. And again I go back to it all the time – ‘football player’ – but he’s smart. Day one he walked in the building [at USC], he started there. Played in a lot of big games and made a lot of big plays.”

On how the team will use Cravens:

“We’re still figuring that out. We’ve been talking about it. We’re always talking about the first room he walks into – is it DB, is it linebacker? But that’s a good problem to have, because again, he’s going to be out here making plays for us. He’s a young guy that’s very energetic, intelligent, and he’s tough. I’m OK with those guys.”

On QB Nate Sudfeld:

“The thing that intrigued me was that I saw a tape before I went to the East-West game, the all-star game, to see his size and his arm strength and then to sit and talk with him for a long time. Just the maturity and taking a team that’s kind of average to better – nothing against Indiana, if anybody went there – but he made them better. Just to see his development and knowing that we have Jay [Gruden], we have Sean [McVay] and we have Matt [Cavanaugh], they’re all three in my opinion really great quarterback coaches. We have got to develop. It’s nothing against Kirk [Cousins] and nothing against Colt [McCoy], but we have to develop young guys at any position. But I feel really positive about those guys.”

On if Matt Ioannidis can help at multiple positions along the defensive line:

“Correct. In base, we’re looking at him more at nose, but he can still play the three [technique]. But in sub, which we’re in a lot more than base, he can move around the line. The thing about him too, again, he’s not the prettiest, he’s not the best athlete, but he’s a football player. You know what, he’s a tough son of a gun that I respect a lot.”

On how he approached the trade with Houston with Doctson listed as the highest player on the board:

“I can’t tell you [laughter]. We had to figure it out.”

On speculation the trade was to buy time for other trades, or if he planned to select a player at No. 22:

“No, we made the trade knowing exactly what we were doing.”

On the current roster:

“The thing about it is I was just out there today and we started Phase 2 so that the coaches could be out there and see it. This roster is getting better. The thing that’s really cool is that there’s a lot more speed, a lot more quickness, a lot more athleticism and that’s huge. We’re always open for business for any football players that can come in here and help us. I respect the guys you just mentioned as being Redskins and being really good, high-character guys. We’re going in the right direction. I like to go young, but also take care of our own. If it’s a veteran, we’re doing it. We’re going to win games, and we’re going to win games because of the 53 guys out there and the coaches that coach them.”

On if there is a possibility of S Dashon Goldson returning:

“Possibly. The door is always open. It’s never closed. I’m never saying no matter what that he can’t come back because I respect him as a football player and as a leader and what he brought. Also, you have to keep evolving. It’s about the team, it’s about being younger, being healthier and going forward. But I respect Goldson. The vets – DY [Darrel Young] – are great, great guys, and good football players and are team guys.”

On LB Steven Daniels and RB Keith Marshall:

“Daniels, again [smiling], a ‘football player.’ Not pretty, not going to run the fastest 40, but really tough. He has [special] teams value and brings the kind of culture I want to keep bringing in, especially late in the draft. He brings in a competitiveness and a toughness that he isn’t going to back down from anybody. You’re going to have to beat him out to get him out of here, and that’s what I want. We could’ve gone height/weight/speed in the sixth round and say, ‘OK, the guy had 15 catches as a receiver, but look, he jumps 40 inches, he runs a 4.2.’ I respect the value of an inside linebacker. They have got substance and when they hit you, you go backwards. Running back to quarterback to receiver, whoever he hits goes backwards. That’s just a physical strength that you can’t develop it. You either have it or you don’t have it. He’ll knock his own players out if he has to trying to get to the ball. The thing about Marshall is, [he was] highly, highly recruited coming out. He fell behind [Todd] Gurley and [Nick] Chubb at Georgia, two really good football players. But he can run like the wind and he has got size. He has pretty good ball skills and had some success early in his career there before the other two took over, but it’s not like it was a shot in the dark because of the height/weight/speed. He has some tape, and the thing about it is I think he has a chance to be a pretty good special teams player.”

On sticking to his decision making process:

“At a time when your roster is really strong and you’re a really good team, then you can start worrying about things on the back end. Right now, we’re going forward. We’re taking the best player and throwing them in there. We’re not always going to be 100 percent accurate. It’s not an exact science, but we’re going to keep going and going and keep adding players.”

On Marshall not having a lot of collegiate rushing attempts:

“The thing I like about it, and it was the thing with Matt Jones last year, is the amount of carries he’s had. He hasn’t been beat up. With running backs, it’s so important to have the health. The more hits you take, the worse off it is. Again, we’ll see how it shakes out, but all seven guys we drafted I really feel good about the standpoint that first of all, they are good football players, but second of all, they’re good people. Third of all, this organization got stronger, and the fans should be happy about that because it’s not me, it’s everybody in this building. It’s really cool how it works out, how everybody comes together, how Jay and I argue and everybody is like, ‘Are they going to fight?’ [Laughter] It’s just passion. It’s passion for it, and it’s awesome. It’s what it’s about.”

On his level of optimism for a potential long-term deal for QB Kirk Cousins:

“The optimism is great because I want him as a part of this organization for a long time. A long-term deal is a two-sided party with the agent and with us. Everybody in this building, if you ask to a man – players, coaches – we all want him here for a long-term deal. I would love to get something done, but you can’t force it. They have to agree to what we’re looking at, but he’s our leader on offense. He’s our quarterback. He won the East last year and that’s pretty cool because that’s what we need here. We need those types of guys, and those are the kinds of guys I’m trying to draft, but also, we can’t go crazy because it’s about 53, it’s not about one. That’s what we keep preaching and what we’re going to keep preaching, but yes, we want him here."

Still pissed he didn't take Billings 

I love everything he's done in this draft, but Billings bugs me

Late in the fourth! The freaking fourth!!!

Yeah, I'm still not really happy about that, but I'm mostly over it. Still, if we're getting gashed up the middle again next year, I'm going to come back to this move. ;)

On the impact Doctson’s selection has on WRs DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garçon:
“They’re both really good football players. We won the NFC East last year with them. They’re not going anywhere. They’re football players and I respect it. We just took the best player. The thing that happens is injuries and stuff goes on and this and that. No, I want to build this roster with 53. It’s not about two, it’s not about five, it’s not about 10. It’s about 53, and that’s how we’re going to win and lose on Sundays.”

I know there is coach speak (we weren't going to take a WR...), but no more trade Garcon talk. 

Billings seems to be this year's Leonard Williams to our fanbase.

Here there is an extra thorn in the side, having the 4th rounder and trading it for future picks.  I'm not upset like others, but considering the weaknesses last year and the ratings he had received, I do understand it some.

Here there is an extra thorn in the side, having the 4th rounder and trading it for future picks.  I'm not upset like others, but considering the weaknesses last year and the ratings he had received, I do understand it some.

I think that's the big issue. Using a 4th round pick on a guy that was projected as a 2nd rounder in a draft that is deep in DT/NT is a good value pick if your in good shape there. Much more if you have issues there. No one thought he was Leonard Williams. But if we did, wouldn't you take him in the 4th round?

You miss the whole premise in what he looks for in a football player.  We as fans see a big name player mainly created by the pundits and think that particular player will be a fit for a team.  At best Billings is a two down player that don't fit what we're trying to do on defense.

Hail Em Up!

Enough with Billings. I wanted him too but the more I read about him and after seeing how Scot got players that fit so well with our schemes, the more it made sense why we didn't draft him.

Billings is a 2 down player. That was a weakness for us at NT that often was exposed last year. We needed a 3 down player. Billings also projects as a 1 tech in the NFL. If you read Scot's comments, he wanted a 3 down DL that can play 5 and 3 tech. Billings doesn't fit that at all.

Instead of lamenting Billings, you all should be celebrating that we got a player who fits the system much better in Ionnidas, got him a round later, and picked up an extra pick the following year in the process.

Do you all really think Scot would just pass up on Billings if he viewed him as a major talent? Scot went by his board and obviously didn't have Billings that high on it. So who do you trust? Scot and his track record, or you and yours?

Enough with Billings. I wanted him too but the more I read about him and after seeing how Scot got players that fit so well with our schemes, the more it made sense why we didn't draft him.

Billings is a 2 down player. That was a weakness for us at NT that often was exposed last year. We needed a 3 down player. Billings also projects as a 1 tech in the NFL. If you read Scot's comments, he wanted a 3 down DL that can play 5 and 3 tech. Billings doesn't fit that at all.

Instead of lamenting Billings, you all should be celebrating that we got a player who fits the system much better in Ionnidas, got him a round later, and picked up an extra pick the following year in the process.

Do you all really think Scot would just pass up on Billings if he viewed him as a major talent? Scot went by his board and obviously didn't have Billings that high on it. So who do you trust? Scot and his track record, or you and yours?

Ding  ****ing ding!!!!

Hail Em Up!

Love the tidbit about he and Gruden going at it over prospect evals (I assume). Would love to be a fly on the wall for that kind of stuff.

From what I hear, Gibbs and Beathard confrontations were epic over players! 

Hail Em Up!

I think Billings might be a bit more versatile than you give him credit for, but otherwise... nice post (and I agree). Don't know if it makes so much sense to get so hung up on a player, particularly hanging it around Scot's neck like an anchor.

Of course, this was peculiar case in the sense of a perceived big need joining with a highly rated prospect that slid and not only was he not picked, but the pick was traded without as much return as you'd expect (next year's pick, plus even a 7th this year, likely changes a lot of people's tune).

Bottom line though, I don't think you can't beat Scot up too much when he's clearly turning this franchise around.

I've said before, this wasn't the draft I envisioned, but Scot's happy about it and that's huge in my book.

Wish we could get a transcript of his radio interview with Cooley. Sounded like he was going more in-depth about our draft room process during the draft but it was so hard to make out some of what he was saying over the phone that I couldn't catch half of it.

Yeah, I'm still not really happy about that, but I'm mostly over it. Still, if we're getting gashed up the middle again next year, I'm going to come back to this move. ;)

Even if billings sucks or is injured?

He took lot of flaks for going Scherff over leonard last year, especially in the media where leonard was displayed as a god within the jets dl.

A god that had worst stats than our head scratching second rounder.

I think Billings might be a bit more versatile than you give him credit for, but otherwise... nice post (and I agree). Don't know if it makes so much sense to get so hung up on a player, particularly hanging it around Scot's neck like an anchor.

Of course, this was peculiar case in the sense of a perceived big need joining with a highly rated prospect that slid and not only was he not picked, but the pick was traded without as much return as you'd expect (next year's pick, plus even a 7th this year, likely changes a lot of people's tune).

Bottom line though, I don't think you can't beat Scot up too much when he's clearly turning this franchise around.

I've said before, this wasn't the draft I envisioned, but Scot's happy about it and that's huge in my book.

Not sure I understand the part bolded above ... The 4th round pick (where Billings was available) was traded for 2 5th round picks (one in next years along with a 5th in this years). I'd say that was good value. It was the Jets trade for our 5th that only netted us a pick in next years draft, which was for a 4th and also good value.

Not sure I understand the part bolded above ... The 4th round pick (where Billings was available) was traded for 2 5th round picks (one in next years along with a 5th in this years). I'd say that was good value. It was the Jets trade for our 5th that only netted us a pick in next years draft, which was for a 4th and also good value.

That's awful value - a fifth next year is the equivalent of a sixth - Billings aside, I don't see the advantage in this one

I love the direction this team is going in.  We finally have a GM with an eye on the present and the other on the future.   The Giants have turned into the Redskins of old trying to win FA by overpaying on the open market, Dallas just ignored defense and drafted a guy that may never play football again oh and basketball player who hasn't played football since he was 14 and Philly bet the farm on a QB that threw for 1600 yards last year???   The Redskins arrow is pointing up not just this year but in the future.  Its a good time to be Skins fan. HTTR

That's awful value - a fifth next year is the equivalent of a sixth - Billings aside, I don't see the advantage in this one

All I know is if going by the value chart, if you use the value of our 4th pick and the value NO 5th round pick and assume they have same mid 5th rounder next year, we'd have gotten better value out of the trade.  And I know the common perception is future picks is lesser value, but if you believe there aren't any players left on your board screaming 4th round value, why not trade back and get a pick in what is widely believed to be a much better draft class.  I also believe this was a strange draft year, where the talent was so spread out that picks in the later rounds have the potential to be better then those mid rounds.

As for Billing, I don't think he was ever event in the cards for the 'skins.  He's exactly the type of one-dimensional player Scott was trying to get away from and doubtful he was even on the 'skins draft board at all.

Thanks for posting TK. I was looking forward to reading the transcript from Scotty Mac's presser this morning.

Reading between the lines I think the team thinks we have our new kick returner in 7th round pick Keith Marshall. :-)

Even if billings sucks or is injured?

He took lot of flaks for going Scherff over leonard last year, especially in the media where leonard was displayed as a god within the jets dl.

A god that had worst stats than our head scratching second rounder.

1. If he gets hurt elsewhere, that is no reasons to assume he would have gotten hurt here.

2. The Bengals play a 4-3, so their system is very different. You can't assume he would suck here if he sucks there.

3. And even if you do assume 1 or 2, then you still have Ioannidis. But he might get hurt or suck as well.

I think I did have it wrong, but as someone mentioned, a 4th for what's considered a 5th and 6th (next year's 5th) isn't very good value. It's not bad, and I don't actually have a problem with it... just pointing out that people may have been less hung up on the "missing out on Billings" deal if the trade was a clear win for us.

The 5th for a 4th next year is a similar deal... We did not clearly win that deal. Again, I have no problem with it - Scot has his reasons (and outlined them), it's just that I can understand a bit of where people are coming from.

the one black mark for me in this Draft, I hope I am wrong about it.  I said so in the Draft thread and people were pissed like Scott can't make a mistake.  Well I hope you and I are mistaking on how we passed on a possible great player for what I have no clue.

You know, that draft chart value is getting rather old and have still to take into account Compensatory picks. Now I do think that many people are thinking more into numbers of picks than "points value".

Who really cares about point value, you just want to get someone that will help your team. You know, "Football Players".

1. If he gets hurt elsewhere, that is no reasons to assume he would have gotten hurt here.

2. The Bengals play a 4-3, so their system is very different. You can't assume he would suck here if he sucks there.

3. And even if you do assume 1 or 2, then you still have Ioannidis. But he might get hurt or suck as well.

Apparently you missed the point. Since you were saying that if our Run D sucks next year you'll complain about this move and not grab Billings in the 4th. Which would require Billings to have a good season for the Bengals. And since they doesn't play the same base as us (even if we're not that often on base D), you just can't assume also that if he kills it over there he would here.

And finally, I stated, once again, that for all the flaks he took for Scherff (and still get from this fanbase) Preston Smith had a better rookie year then Leonard Williams.

So you can still complain about the the move but Scott decided to go with a more respected teammates over someone that needs some grooming within the locker room.

All that matters is about Ioannidis doing his job here. Don't see any reason why he wouldn't be doing it.

Archived