Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For the Record: Who Would You Have Drafted?

Going Commando

Fellow Armchair GMs,

Let's get our picks down for the record so that, when we're bragging about how we absolutely loved X prospect that's now a Probowler in years to come, the rest of us can know whether we should tip our cap or call bull****.

Best to do this immediately after the draft so that our recollections don't get too polluted by hindsight bias.

Some rules:

1 - Be honest. This is only useful/instructive if you're honest. We're all going to end up looking dumb from this at some pick or another.

2 - Don't just copy McCloughan's picks. Have an opinion. Even if you only watched 10 minutes of college ball last season and your opinion is based on Mel Kiper's big board, still have an opinion. And judging by all of the surprised reactions to our picks in the draft day thread, I'll know people are lying if I see a bunch of Su'a Cravens and Matt Ioannidis picks.

3 - No extra trades. Just pick at the spots we actually made selections from or else this will get way too complicated.

4 - If you choose someone other than the guy we actually drafted, assume that the guys we picked got selected immediately after. For example, if you pick Myles Jack at 22, assume Josh Doctson went 23, and everyone else gets moved down one slot thereafter until the order is right again. You can't say "Myles Jack Rd 1, Josh Doctson Rd 2, Sua Cravens Rd 3" etc.

----------------

I'll start:

Rd 1 - LaQuon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

Rd 2 - Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

Rd 3 - Javon Hargrave, DT, South Carolina St

Rd 5 - Kentrell Brothers, ILB, Missouri

Rd 6 - Jeremy Cash, SS, Duke

Rd 7 - Vadal Alexander, OG, LSU

Rd 7 - Jack Allen, OC, Michigan St

Given now I know where people fell I'd probably have gone with:

1) Treadwell

2) Trade up to pick to pick 45 from pick 51 to get DT A'Shawn Johnson (Trade 2d and 4th rounds for that pick)

3) Probably would have stuck with Fuller

5) Kentrell Brothers

6) Jeremy Cash

7) Vadal Alexander

7) Jack Allen

I would not have made the trade in the Fourth round:

1.  Derrick Henry

2.  Mac Alexander

3.  Braxton Miller

4.  Ken Dixon

5. Jatavis Brown

6.  Anthony Zettel

7.  Matt Skura

7.  Matt Johnson

PS:  Great thread Steve!

I'd have taken

1.  Josh Doctson

2.  Jonathan Bullard

3.  Torn between Kenneth Dixon and Sheldon Day 

5.  Kentrell Brothers

6.  Mike Thomas

7.  Tyler Matakevich

7.  Scooby Wright

I obviously didn't want 3 MLBs but as they weren't being picked I'd go to the next one. Daniels was ironically in the mix, I said so in the open draft thread in advance but my 4th fav in the mix.

As for going on the record before picks where I ended up looking prescient.  I did pick Doctson before the draft as my top choice.  And I threw out Steven Daniels was one of the guys I liked in advance.   I think I might have been the first guy to introduce him in the draft thread (could be wrong on that), I posted on him when I discussed online MLB guys with a PFF guy and he pumped Daniels to me.  I asked if anyone knew who that Daniels guy was, if I recall i got no response at the time.  Later in the process, we read that they were meeting with him and that elicited some discussion.  

I threw out Ioannidis minutes before we picked him but he wasn't my top personal pick.  Where I ended up looking wildly off -- I thought Dixon was a late 2nd-early third.  I liked Matakevich as early as the 4th round.  I thought Garrett would be a good 5th round pick and the dude wasn't even drafted.  I also liked Mike Thomas much earlier than he was picked.   The pick that bothered me the most was the Giants taking P. Perkins in the 5th, he was my choice leading into that round -- I was hoping he'd be there at our pick but he was gone.  I was also among those on the Andrew Billings bandwagon.

1. Myles Jack LB

2. Sean Davis S/CB

3. Javon Hargrave DL

5. KJ Dillon S/CB

6. Jalen Mills FS

7. Daniel Lasco RB

7. Vernon Adams QB

Absolutely love Scot's draft too though and if I'd had reports in my hand on Myles Jack's knee then Doctson definitely would've come into consideration. Definitely my favourite WR in the class.

For the most part, I am pleased with the first 3 and last pick of our draft. 

I would have picked up Andrew Billings in the 4th(instead of trading it) and maybe Jack Allen or Austin Blythe with one of our #7s.

But the draft is nothing more than a roll of the dice.

Still trust in Scott!!!!!!!!

I won't go through the whole thing as I'm not well versed in college players enough to have an opinion, but I will say I would've picked Treadwell over Doctson. As I mentioned in the draft thread, it's the second year in a row the guy I wanted from the start was available at our pick (Leonard Williams last year), and the second year in a row we passed and the next team jumped on that guy. At least the position was right. It was smart to get a WR early. Its going to be a need position soon and I'm all for filling it through the draft instead of in free agency.

Beyond that, I worry that McCloughan focuses too much on getting good value instead of making what sometimes appears to be an obvious choice. Clearly time will tell whether we should've grabbed Treadwell and Williams over Sherff and Doctson. It did make me uneasy to think we could've probably plugged a guard into the right side later in the draft last year and would not have had such an obvious need for 5tech this year had we gone with Williams in 15'. For now I'm going to assume I was wrong and he was right.

Well if I was following my board and BPA it would have been:

1. Laquon Treadwell

2. Mackenzie Alexander

3. Andrew Billings

5. Matt Ioannidis (Yay!)

6. Jalen Mills

7. Vadel Alexander

7. Keyarris Garrett

On reflection I much prefer Scot's :)

So a bit of speculation will be required, but since Doctson wasn't on my radar, I really thought we could trade with Cincy to get a 4th and then pull the trade the Seahawks to get a third.

With the added picks with the class I was puling to get

1 (31)- Myles Jack

2 (53)- I was hoping Clark/Johnson/Nkemdiche would fall, but that didn't.  Based on lists it probably would have been Billings.

3 (84)- Fuller was a guy I considered in the 2nd at times, so with Sean Davis off the list I feel ok going this way.

3 (94 from Denver)- I thought we'd double down, so I probably would have gone Hassan Rigdeway here.

4 (120)- Would have gone C of Boehm or Allen.  I wanted one, but hadn't studied either (which wouldn't have mattered).

4 (122)- Pick Billings went ironically.  I would have gone Dixon.

5 (152)- Kentrell Brothers

6 (187)- Will Parks

7 (232)- Alex McCalister

7 (242)- Scooby Wright, didn't think he'd go this far.

Parks and McCalister were guys I also picked in the extremeskins mock.  

I would have aimed for other trades, but wouldn't have guess as they went so will leave the other picks the same.  

1. (22) Josh Doctson, WR TCU 

2. (53) Sean Davis, CB/S Maryland 

3. (82) Christian Westerman, OG 

5. (152) Jatavis Brown, OLB/S Akron

6. (187) Elandon Roberts, ILB Houston

7. (232) Jake Brendel, C UCLA

7. (242) Vernon Adams, QB Oregon

1st Round. - My first two choices, WR Corey Coleman, pick 15 and C Ryan Kelly, pick 18 were gone. Dotson was my third choice.

2nd Round - My second choice was S/OLB Su'a Cravens. (Sean Davis was picked 58, 2nd round)

3rd Round -  My second choice was ILB Nick Vigil, Utah State (Westerman was picked in the 5th round (161))

5th Round -  My second choice was DE/DT Matt Ioannidis, Temple

6th Round - My first choice was DT Willie Henry, Michigan, pick 132, 4th round.

When we were sitting at 21 with Kelly and Joseph off the board I literally had no idea what I wanted. With the depth at DL I thought it would be dumb to reach for one there. Tho I was thinking to my self I'd rather draft a WR than a DL. 

Don't know enough to comment on the whole draft and over all like what they did, but I would have gone with one of the DL in 1st round.

Probably Nkemdiche, but don't know all of the details of the off field issues like they presumably do.

If not him, Kenny Clark.

I don't think that Doctson is bad pick and expect he'll have his uses in the NFL, but I think there were better players to be taken there.

Just wondering why we didn't try to improve the RB situation better. Still don't see anything there. Is there something I missed?

Found this from another thread.

Banged up in college, but toughness isn't a question. Keeps busy as a blocker, quickly locating and picking up rushers in pass protection. Secures the ball and trustworthy toting the rock. Natural receiving traits. Very intelligent both on the field and in the classroom. Georgia coaches highly complementary of his work ethic and team-first attitude.

1) Reggie Ragland-ILB

2) Cody Whitehair-OG

3) Hassan Ridgeway-DT

4) Andrew Billings-DT (I know I just took one, but depth is not a bad thing with big boys.  Golston can't play forever)

5) Scooby Wright-LB (He is just too much of a baller to be left on the board,I know he went to the the 7th but I do not know why. Truthfully I was waiting for the skins to announce his name here so I won't lie...I would have taken him)

6) Brand Doughty- QB- I like him more than the one we got

7) Keith Marshall- Like this pick by the Skins-can't teach speed

Without the 4th round trade down:

1) WR - Josh Doctson

2) DE/DT - Jonathan Bullard

3) CB - Eric Murray (although Javon Hargrave is tempting)

4) RB - Devontae Booker

5) S - KJ Dillon

6) C - Joey Hunt

7) ILB - Steven Daniels

7) S - Clayton Fejedelem

With the trade down maybe:

1) WR - Josh Doctson

2) DE/DT - Jonathan Bullard

3) CB - Eric Murray (although Javon Hargrave is tempting)

5) TE - Jerrell Adams

6) C - Joey Hunt

7) ILB - Steven Daniels

7) S - Clayton Fejedelem

Archived