Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Nate Sudfeld QB Indiana

PCS

Good afternoon young man. Part one of the dream realized. Have fun. :) 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/nate-sudfeld?id=2555427

OVERVIEW

Sudfeld missed about half of his junior year with an injured left (non-throwing) shoulder, but this fall he met the expectations of scouts who liked what they saw before the injury. The brother of New York Jets tight end Zach Sudfeld used his intriguing skill set (size, arm and mobility within the pocket) to pull down third-team All-Big Ten honors in 2015. Sudfield completed 60 percent of his passes for 3,573 yards and 27 scores against seven interceptions for a Hoosier squad that was not loaded with weapons. Sudfeld provides leadership and maturity, as well, and has worldly experience (served missions to Uganda before high school and for his 2015 spring break) that many others in this class do not.

PRO DAY RESULTS  
40-yard dash: 4.93 seconds 
Vertical: 29 1/2 inches 
Broad jump: 9 feet, 3 inches 
Short shuttle: 4.48 seconds 
3-cone: 7.42 seconds ANALYSIS STRENGTHS  Steps onto the field with terrific NFL size. Three-year starter who lead Big Ten in yards per pass play at 8.2 yards. Comfortable operating in timing based systems and shows ability to throw with desired anticipation. Ball usually comes out on time. Able to expedite throws when pressure finds him early. Feels pressure and gets rid of the ball over taking the sack. Makes catchable, accurate throws from the pocket. Shows off NFL arm when he steps and drives to target. Does not fear the field side throws and has arm and accuracy to make them. Puts plenty of air under touch throws allowing receivers a chance to make a play. Showed off consistent touch on deep corners. Competitive as a runner and lays out for first downs over sliding early. WEAKNESSES  Sets up with a very wide throwing base and slight dip in his delivery. Rarely gets full hip rotation through delivery forcing him to push throws. Touch in close quarters is below average. Field vision is only average. Inconsistent with reads against zone coverage. Makes up his mind and opts for tougher throws over open throws. Struggled in this way against Iowa. At times, rushes throws over sliding in pocket waiting for routes to develop. Saw substantial dip in completion percentage when rushed by five-plus defenders. Underthrows were culprit with deep ball accuracy. Not much of a threat with his legs. DRAFT PROJECTION  Rounds 6 or 7

*click link for more*

I've watched a few of his Indiana games over the years and Sudfeld is a good player.  He has a very nice arm and he is a composed and competitive play maker.  He played in a spread offense back in the shotgun so he will have some big adjustments to make playing under center and running a WCO  but I think he is a promising developmental QB.  

I'll say this - his highlight video looks far more promising than Jason Campbell's (awful) one ever did. He seems to be hitting guys in stride, even when he's on the run. There are also a couple examples of him threading the needle downfield. Looking like a cross between Bulger and Rapistberger.

Good grief, Cam Newton looking QB. This guy's a monster.  

With his size and arm strength he'll be able to buy a little extra time to get his throws off. It should give him an edge in development learning to read the field and progress through his targets. 

Good grief, Cam Newton looking QB. This guy's a monster.  

With his size and arm strength he'll be able to buy a little extra time to get his throws off. It should give him an edge in development learning to read the field and progress through his targets. 

He doesn't have Newton's physicality or exceptional running ability.  I mentioned that he is mobile what I meant by that he is a lot more agile than you'd expect at QB that tall to be, he's not a stiff.  When I watched Sudfeld I remember wondering how good he could have been in a better program than Indiana like Wisconsin, Michigan or Michigan State.  I think the Skins made a good selection. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2001862/nate-sudfeld

PLAYER OVERVIEW Sudfeld comes from an athletic family, including twin brothers who both played college football. Matthew was a wide receiver at Brown University (2007-11) and Zach is currently a tight end with the New York Jets after starring at Nevada.

Penn State's Christian Hackenberg, Michigan State's Connor Cook and Ohio State's Cardale Jones are the most recognizable quarterback names out of the Big Ten this year, but Sudfeld is one of the better senior prospects at his position.

He shared the quarterback duties his first two seasons for the Hoosiers and then in 2014, Sudfeld was lost for the season in October with a shoulder injury. He returned in 2015 to throw for 3,573 yards and 27 touchdowns against seven interceptions while posting a 151.03 passer efficiency rating in Indiana's up-tempo spread offense.

He was named team MVP and finished the season with 11 touchdown passes in the final three games.

*click link for more* 

It's been a while since we took a late-rounder QB to develop. Last was..... Colt Brennan?

Ah, well. Which should I hope for: That he never so much as touches the field in the regular season, or that he gets a LOT of playing time as the trash man who disposes of the fourth quarter while Kirk cools his jets?

All the articles so far say he has the arm and accuracy, which you can't teach, so pick looks good.

So, is it to early for a QB competition thread to start?  :rolleyes:

I for one cannot wait until he has a sick 4th quarter in a preseason game and people manufacture a QB controversy after Cousins has a rocky first half in week 1.

Pasht. Two words. Trade value.

Chase Daniel...although technically I guess we didn't draft him, he was an UDFA.

I was going to say Chase, but he was a UDFA, so that excludes him. Especially since we ditched him before his first regular season. :P

Cousins?

He would be the latest QB we've picked before Sudfield, but I generally think of second day picks as being mid-round players instead the late rounders.

QB CONTROVERSY!11!!!11!

:P

#SulkforSud

Archived