Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Worst draft busts of the modern era (RG3 included) M.E.T.

Boss_Hogg

http://www.si.com/nfl/photos/2014/05/08/biggest-draft-busts-modern-era#2

RGIII ranked number one. At first I was surprised by this but I think they are factoring in how many draft picks were used to draft him.

I still however think that Jamarcus Russell or Ryan leaf are the bigger busts. At least Rob gave us something truly special in 2012.

I for one believe his play in 12' will never be replicated.

Um, bigger then Johnny Football?  At least Griffin is still in the NFL and can blame blowing his knee affecting his athleticism that helped make him ROY.  Manziel is a dice roll away from picking up a chance card and going directly to jail, if not worse.  They must be factoring in the trade to get him.

This is Anti-Redskins bias at it's worst.

JaMarcus Russell was a much bigger bust.  RG3 was special and the talk of the entire league for 12+ months.  There was talk that he could become and was on his way to being the best player in the league.

This is hogwash.

I see a lot of Redskins bias in this thread.  Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russel, sure they were busts.  But neither one cost their teams anything but a first round pick to get.  Griffin cost the Redskins a king's ransom.  By definition, that makes him a bigger bust than the other two.  Sure, he had a great 2012 (though, not the entire season; if we are being honest he was not a superhero for 16 games), but the guy wasn't just not NFL ready (as far as being able to run a true NFL system and read an NFL defense, etc.), but he also was a pick that felt he could dictate to his coach and OC what type of offense he would run, got his future HOF coach fired, and went on to potentially get another coach fired had that coach not put his foot down with the owner and made it clear how badly Griffin played and we needed to move on.  When given a chance to play in an NFL offense, he was no better than Leaf or Russel.  He is one of the, if not the hugest bust of all time.  He is not an NFL QB, and will be done in the league very shortly.

But neither one cost their teams anything but a first round pick to get.  Griffin cost the Redskins a king's ransom.  By definition, that makes him a bigger bust than the other two.  Sure, he had a great 2012 (though, not the entire season; if we are being honest he was not a superhero for 16 games)....

I'd probably put Ricky Williams ahead of him if we're talking about how much the player cost a team and how much he did (or didn't do) for that team. I know Griffin was 3 # 1s but Williams was an entire draft and another #1. Besides, thanks to Cousins, Griffin didn't set the team back for too long. Williams definitely did.

I'd probably put Ricky Williams ahead of him if we're talking about how much the player cost a team and how much he did (or didn't do) for that team. I know Griffin was 3 # 1s but Williams was an entire draft and another #1. Besides, thanks to Cousins, Griffin didn't set the team back for too long. Williams definitely did.

That's a fair point.  It's amazing looking back four years and remembering how many people trashed Shanahan for taking Cousins after RGIII.  It's a damn good thing he did. 

What a player cost has nothing to do with if he as a player is a bust or not. It may hav to do with if the trade was good for one team or another but not if the player is a bust.

As for Robert, let's start with how can someone be a bust that is still in the league. That's just someone taking cheap shots at a guy. Also, he was ****ing ROY!!! took us to a Division title and a home playoff game! How in the world can that be a bust? Was he what we hoped? No. That's why he is gone. But the worst bust ever? C'mon that's some total bull****!

How you can give up what we did for a guy who has NO idea how to play QB is beyond inexcusable. A total embarrassment. Thank God we had Kyle here. He turned Vince Young into the Rookie of the Year.

I can't believe the Browns are going to go into the season with no backup plan for Robert other than Cody Kessler and Josh McCown. I would've tried to trade our 2nd rounder to them for next year's first considering it's going to be #1 overall.

I am adding to your point renegade not directing these comments at you --- Thanks for posting the link!

So lets see - To move up 1 spot from 3 to 2, in addition to switching picks, SD also gave up their 2nd that year and the following years 1st, plus 2 players! 

We gave up only one more pick and no players to move up 4 spots. Ryan Leaf had about 3 or 4 good games till his lost his ****ing mind and crumpled under the pressure and was out of the league in less than 4 seasons, only 2 with significant play, and has spent the rest of his life in and out of prison. His 14 TDs and 36 ints is a joke. He also has a rousing 50 QBR.

Robert has a ROY season, took us to a division championship and even with a few bad season he has 40 TDs and 23 ints and a 90.6 career QBR. Oh and did I forget that HE IS STILL IN THE LEAGUE and has a legitimate chance to still be successful?

C'mon, even if you use the metric of the deal as part of the measure Leaf is by far a much bigger disappointment! Not to mention off the field Robert is a straight up family guy that has had absolutely no off field issues, none!

Let's get off the trash Robert train. I am as disappointed as anyone he was not what we thought, but to run him into the ground is both unfair and an uneducated view of reality.

Leaf was bigger.  He had little or no desire to play football.  Griffin is simply not NFL quality unless he is 100% percent healthy and playing in a certain offense.  If you remove the weight of all of the draft picks, Griffin is roughly equivalent to Todd Marinovich.  In over his head.  However, when you factor in the draft picks, Griffin is certainly in the debate.  Even if he goes to the HOF he will still be a huge draft bust.

Leaf was bigger.  He had little or no desire to play football.  Griffin is simply not NFL quality unless he is 100% percent healthy and playing in a certain offense.  If you remove the weight of all of the draft picks, Griffin is roughly equivalent to Todd Marinovich.  In over his head.  However, when you factor in the draft picks, Griffin is certainly in the debate.  Even if he goes to the HOF he will still be a huge draft bust.

I was following you until that last statement. Exactly how can someone be both a HOFer and a bust?? If he goes to the HOF (which I doubt, but just playing along), it means the Redskins failed him. How does that make him a bust? Sorry, but that just makes no sense at all.

I don't think you can call Ricky Williams a bust, he still was productive the last two years he played in a back-up capacity and for his career racked up 10,000 yards and 66 TDs.  He played 11 seasons, granted one season he played in 1 game, so it's really more like 10 seasons worth of stats.

They gave up a lot for him, but he still had some good years and decent stats.  Worth what NO gave up for him?  No, but not a bust, imo.

2012 was a great season and RGIII could still be good.  His issues are as much above the shoulders as much as they are on his ACLs. 

If he turns it down infront of the media, gets a PR guy to handle them and strategize, gets a bit more coachable, has a bit more personal understanding of himself and what systems he should play and RGIII could still have a great career.  

What a player cost has nothing to do with if he as a player is a bust or not. It may hav to do with if the trade was good for one team or another but not if the player is a bust.

As for Robert, let's start with how can someone be a bust that is still in the league. That's just someone taking cheap shots at a guy. Also, he was ****ing ROY!!! took us to a Division title and a home playoff game! How in the world can that be a bust? Was he what we hoped? No. That's why he is gone. But the worst bust ever? C'mon that's some total bull****!

The bolded statement is completely false, which again is why I said that comments in here all being made with a Redskins bias and not with a clear head.  No one ever calls a player drafted in the latter half of the draft a bust.  If they don't work out, they don't work out.  Only players taken in the first couple of rounds get labeled busts when they crap the bed, so, yes, where a player is drafted, along with what was given up to move up and draft said player has a huge part to play in whether a player is a bust or not. A team doesn't give up what the Redskins did for Robert unless that player is the future of the franchise.  Getting cut at the end of their rookie contract defines the term bust. (One of the things that raises Tom Brady's status is not just what he has done in his career, but the fact he wasn't picked until the sixth round.  If Tom would have come in and crapped the bed and was cut by the Pats after 2001, no one wold consider him a bust.  He would barely be an after thought.)

A number two overall QB that can't run a non-gimmick, NFL offense and can't read a defense after several years in the league is a bust.  What he did for one year in a gimmick offense that isn't sustainable at this level doesn't change the fact that he went number two overall to a team that used three first round picks and more to get him, and that player didn't even dress out the last year of his contract and then was let go.  It doesn't matter that he was picked up by the Browns (which could be argued may not even count as an NFL team :P ), the fact is he busted for the team that gave up the world to draft him.  Plus, Trent Richardson is considered a bust by many, and he went one pick after Robert and has been on a few NFL rosters, and just got picked up not long ago by the Ravens. Still, he is seen as a bust by many due to being the number three overall pick (where he went and what was given up for him) and he didn't even live out his rookie contract on the team that drafted him.  No way Richardson is a bust and Griffin isn't.

Check your history. Chargers traded up for Leaf.

I forgot all about that.  Thanks for correcting me.  Leaf definitely is at the top of the bust list.

The bolded statement is completely false, which again is why I said that comments in here all being made with a Redskins bias and not with a clear head.  No one ever calls a player drafted in the latter half of the draft a bust.  If they don't work out, they don't work out.  Only players taken in the first couple of rounds get labeled busts when they crap the bed, so, yes, where a player is drafted, along with what was given up to move up and draft said player has a huge part to play in whether a player is a bust or not. A team doesn't give up what the Redskins did for Robert unless that player is the future of the franchise.  Getting cut at the end of their rookie contract defines the term bust. (One of the things that raises Tom Brady's status is not just what he has done in his career, but the fact he wasn't picked until the sixth round.  If Tom would have come in and crapped the bed and was cut by the Pats after 2001, no one wold consider him a bust.  He would barely be an after thought.)

edit...

I forgot all about that.  Thanks for correcting me.  Leaf definitely is at the top of the bust list.

We will have to agree to disagree. To me there is a huge difference between where a player is taken and if there was a trade involved. On if a trade was a good one? Yes, but not if the player was a bust. But fair enough. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Saying that it's a Redskins bias is not necessary. The two have nothing to do with each other. Should we assume that since you think he is the worst bust that you are a Robert hater? No. So please don't assume there is a Redskins bias just because it's a different point of view.

That's it from me. Too many good things going on with the team to spend any more time on this.  Hail!

We will have to agree to disagree. To me there is a huge difference between where a player is taken and if there was a trade involved. On if a trade was a good one? Yes, but not if the player was a bust. But fair enough. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Saying that it's a Redskins bias is not necessary. The two have nothing to do with each other. Should we assume that since you think he is the worst bust that you are a Robert hater? No. So please don't assume there is a Redskins bias just because it's a different point of view.

That's it from me. Too many good things going on with the team to spend any more time on this.  Hail!

Fair enough!  I do want to say that I wasn't trying to be disrespectful calling it a Redskins bias (and I was not calling you out) and I apologize if it came across as disrespectful.  Hopefully, we have a lot of consistently exciting, good Redskins football ahead of us, and I think that is something all of us can agree is needed and long overdue. HTTR!!!

You can't be a bust if the book is not written on your career yet. For us even, he was a disappointment, not a bust. He put together one of the greatest rookie seasons in NFL history, and won us a division title. That alone takes him out of consideration.

The amount of picks given up should not matter when discussing the player. What is paid to get them has more to do with the nature of the market.

Anyone trying to tell me that Goff/Wentz talents were worthy of giving up a boatload of picks to trade up for?

Supply and demand. Either way you wanna look at it, that declaration in regards to Griffin is just ****ing dumb.

Dumb.

Turn it something else.   Go with the notion and judo it.   

Try:  yeah Griffin is the hands down biggest qb bust of all time.   But then, we won the Division with the BBOAT.  And no other team has pulled that off.   And Giants, Eagles and Cowboys fans may at all times going forward know that they fell victim in the worst way to the team featuring the BBOAT.   

Sometimes scoreboard works in mysterious ways.

velocet

The bolded statement is completely false, which again is why I said that comments in here all being made with a Redskins bias and not with a clear head.  

Arguing this point with you is useless  because you give him zero credit for his 2012 season ... calling it gimmicky.   That is an extremely shortsighted statement.   A play is gimmicky, an exotic formation is gimmicky, an entire offense that was one of the very best for over 16 games - is anything but.  That offense was unique, and it was designed only for a few QB's in the league to run. 

Archived