Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

turtle2328

Ladies and Gentlemen of Redskins Nation.

The schedule was recently released. This is my impassioned please for season ticket holders to protect home field advantage. It's easy - don't let your tickets make their way into the hands of opposing fans. The best option is to keep them yourself.  Next option would be to sell them to Redskins fans or give them to Redskins fans. There are no other good options.

I know they're expensive. I know it's tempting to sell out for a game or two to help cover the costs. But it's gotten WAY out of hand. Remember the last time the Steelers rolled into town? It was down right embarrassing. As a fan, it was disheartening too. Come on 'Skins fans... we're better than that.

Do your part to protect home field advantage. It's worth at least 3 points, I'd argue more, and it could easily be the difference in our whole season. Give your investment the best chance it has at success. Go to the games and cheer them on!

Whomever sits next to you is the most important aspect of the game day experience. Don't let some jerk sit next to me. Don't ruin it for all the other season ticket holders.

Please and thank you!

I've bought a few tickets from my fellow skins fans right here on ES. I promise you I was loud. I think you need a mix of fans. Because the price is so expensive there are quite a few truly passionate fans who might only see a game this way. More, there are plenty of Redskins fans who live abroad and for them the idea of a season ticket package makes no sense.

Yeah, I hear your plea to keep the home field home field, but I think you are painting with too broad a brush. There are tons of 'skins fans out there who would scream their lungs out for their one game a year.... or for some, the one game of their lives.

But Chip, the HoF credits us with the longest, consecutive games 'sold out' streak in league history. Surely the HoF's statements are scientific and not all propagated by a certain owner's marketing ploys. 

http://www.profootballhof.com/teams/washington-redskins/team-history/  

See the last line in paragraph 4. 

And ya, greedy fans need to stop selling their preseason games for double face value. Be a real fan and sell only your NFCE games at face, not at actual cost, or worth. What's wrong with people? SMH

Haha RFKFedEx.  I also failed to mention all the business who have tickets to give to their clients.  I have law firms, car dealers, commercial real estate agents, investment bankers, etc all with season tickets to give away to clients.  Your average season ticket holder isn't out hocking his tickets to the other team.

Haha RFKFedEx.  I also failed to mention all the business who have tickets to give to their clients.  I have law firms, car dealers, commercial real estate agents, investment bankers, etc all with season tickets to give away to clients.  Your average season ticket holder isn't out hocking his tickets to the other team.

Yeah, I think the OP doesn't realize how many businesses have season tickets. I would think that the majority of such tickets would be in the LL or club, but who knows.  Now, for that infamous Steelers game in 2008 (and which might be revisited in September), there were plenty of Terrible Towels waving in all areas of FedEx......upper, lower, and club.  That was ridiculous.  Of course, Steelers fans tend to have large representation at just about every league venue.

Yeah, I think the OP doesn't realize how many businesses have season tickets. I would think that the majority of such tickets would be in the LL or club, but who knows.  Now, for that infamous Steelers game in 2008 (and which might be revisited in September), there were plenty of Terrible Towels waving in all areas of FedEx......upper, lower, and club.  That was ridiculous.  Of course, Steelers fans tend to have large representation at just about every league venue.

The most ridiculous thing about that '08 Steelers game, aside from Steelers fans torching 7 or 8 cars by putting a grill with hot coals in their trunk, was their defense raising their arms to the crowd to make noise for our offense.

I think Dan needs to build a better stadium on top of the existing site of RFK stadium.  The seating sucks at FedExField, and if we built a new, better stadium in DC Steelers fans are too stupid to find their way into the district.

From the other thread...

Coach Janky Spanky - "turtle2328 has been on this quest since at least the Fan Forum to convince Redskins STHs and I think it makes no sense.   Yes, we'd all love to have the stadium 100% full of Redskins fans but that is entirely impractical for many reasons.  

""If you don't want to go, why are you buying season tickets in the first place?""   

A) I do want to go.   And I do go.    But every now and then, I can't go to a game.   First of all, I have a j.o.b job and work long hours and sometimes I can't make the prime time games.    Two years ago I got the flu and missed a game.   I shouldn't have tickets unless I can be 100% certain that I can make every game, every year??    Turtle, do you have season tickets?   If so, since when?   How many games have you missed?     I don't have kids, but people do.   Sometimes kids get sick.   Sometimes the babysitter bails the night before.   Whatever.   There are dozens of reasons STHs may have to get rid of their tickets for a game, not just because they "don't want to go."   

B) There are too many opposing fans because the stadium is too big, the stadium sucks, and the team has sucked for a while.  Yet, Dan Snyder makes a profit from the stadium being too big.   He makes more money than he would if the stadium were smaller.     You're asking me and tshile and other fans to take a financial loss to remedy a problem caused by Dan Snyder and the Redskins trying to make money?   Also, the team sells tickets on stubhub and other exchanges.   Do you get that?  There's no waiting list.  There are extra tickets every game.   The team sells tickets on the secondary market to anybody willing to pay.    But I'm supposed to eat my tickets?   To take 50 cents on the dollar to make sure a Redskins fan is in my seat?   The Redskins don't even do that!!!!!!

The thing is, you want people to sell tickets for half price or eat them rather than risk them falling into opposing hands, but you still have not proposed a way to make sure, 100% sure, that the person on the other end of a transaction is a Redskins fan, versus a Giants or Philly fan who happens to live in the area.   What's to keep that fan from joining some Redskins marketing list or whatever list you've proposed, so they can get discount tickets to the Redskins game when their team is in town every year.  If I post on stubhub, the person buying might be a Philly fan.   But they could also be a Redskins fan.   There's no way to know.   You're saying I should eat my tickets unless I know with 100% certainty that a Redskins buyer is on the other end?   What if it's 75%?    

Again, I would feel a lot better about your cause if the Redskins didn't charge us full price for preseason tickets.   Full price.   Full price for a game on a Wednesday in August at 7 PM to watch players who will very likely not be on the roster.   Full price.  Full price.  $50 parking.  

C) So no, thanks very much for your offer, but I will not be taking your suggestion of eating my tickets or donating them to charity if for some reason I can't make the game, which rarely happens.  Last game I missed was early 2014.   I'll first offer them to my Redskins friends, and I'll put them on classifieds here.   If that doesn't work, I'll be putting them on the secondary market.  I'm a diehard fan and a principled guy, but your principle makes no sense."

A)     I have kids. I have a job. I get sick. I think this is my 11th season as a STH. I've been to every home game since at least 2000. I've taken in a handful of away games. In that time, I've missed 1 PRE-season game. It was last year because my mom was turning 60 and threw the party out of the country.  Those seats went to Redskins fans – I think for free. I have personally eaten a number of tickets because I couldn’t get a Redskins fan to go either because we stunk or I had cancellations last minute or whatever. They're better off empty.

My history and dedication aside, last minute baby sitter call offs and food poisoning don't account for the massive injustice of the last Steelers game or almost any game week in and week out.

B)      Perhaps I don't know the extent of the problem with the team selling tickets on the secondary market. Maybe that's the majority of the problem. I dunno. I was under the impression all seats were sold and all were sold as season tickets. If the team selling one offs is the main problem, I'm disappointed. They SHOULD be more inclined to eat them then sell them to whomever. If they don't, I don't believe they really care about home field advantage, the game day experience, or winning. And if that's the case, I'm right there with you – if the team doesn't care, why should I?

C)      All you have to do is ask. I've sold tickets here, CL, etc. etc. But I always ask the question, "are you a Skin's fan?". I was fooled once. It was a friend of a friend thing. I felt dirty and pissed they lied to me. Still, it's a good hit rate. Do what you can. If you're deceived, you're deceived. I still stand by it's better to leave the seat empty than give it to an opposing fan. Letting them in hurts our team – yes OUR team. We spend too much time and money not to think of it as a kind of family. STH's too – don't ruin it for us if you can help it. Don't hurt your family.

I plan on bringing a sound meter and taking some videos this year. I'll make another thread about that so everyone can keep track and brainstorm about what should be done. Hopefully the fans take care of business, hold onto their tickets, and we all enjoy the games. If there's a problem with the ratio of fans, it'll be obvious and I'll have examples and metrics to demonstrate my point that it's a problem and it must be addressed.

I'm ready to do my part, and I hope you are too. A Season Ticket Holder doing their part has 5 options for extra tickets:

1.       Keep the tickets - YAY

2.       Sell them to Redskins fans – profit optional

3.       Give them to Charity (…maybe)

4.       Give them to Redskins fans (I prefer this to charity because you know… Redskins fans)

5.       Eat them

6.       NO OPTION 6 – filling the seats with opposing team fans is NOT an option.

I do realize it. I also think the team should do something about it. It's a bad practice. At the very least, limit corporate sales to the club level.

Turtle, I'm as frustrated as you are about opposing team fans at the stadium, but I think you're fighting a losing battle.  It kills me when I hear Redskin fans being the best fans in the NFL.  We're not even close.  There are some die hards, but in my seats every week we're surrounded by different people, often people of opposing fans.  Every year we move around hoping to find a section of diehards that we can build a camaraderie throughout the seasons, but I don't see that happening.  

On one hand, I'd like to think as the team continues to improve people will quit selling their tickets.  But then if you think about it, that is when people will make the most profit, so of course they'll sell.  Hopefully it will be more Skins fans buying though.  I think some people do buy tickets thinking it will be an investment.  I look at it as I am spending X amount on tickets and I intend to go to every game.  If I can't make it, I already had that money ear marked for the tickets, so I'll find a Skins fan that will enjoy the game for free.  If I can't afford to give the tickets away for free, I probably shouldn't be paying the money in the first place.

This past season my work moved me to L.A and I still only missed one game, and I gave that ticket to a family member and fellow skins fan.  

Turtle, I'm as frustrated as you are about opposing team fans at the stadium, but I think you're fighting a losing battle.  It kills me when I hear Redskin fans being the best fans in the NFL.  We're not even close.  There are some die hards, but in my seats every week we're surrounded by different people, often people of opposing fans.  Every year we move around hoping to find a section of diehards that we can build a camaraderie throughout the seasons, but I don't see that happening.  

On one hand, I'd like to think as the team continues to improve people will quit selling their tickets.  But then if you think about it, that is when people will make the most profit, so of course they'll sell.  Hopefully it will be more Skins fans buying though.  I think some people do buy tickets thinking it will be an investment.  I look at it as I am spending X amount on tickets and I intend to go to every game.  If I can't make it, I already had that money ear marked for the tickets, so I'll find a Skins fan that will enjoy the game for free.  If I can't afford to give the tickets away for free, I probably shouldn't be paying the money in the first place.

This past season my work moved me to L.A and I still only missed one game, and I gave that ticket to a family member and fellow skins fan.  

That's what I'm talking about. Cooooooley47 is my hero. A model STH!

If my little attempt to raise awareness doesn't work in a year were we're the returning division champs, the team needs to do something to provide incentive to the folks like you and me and provide a disincentive .to those revolving door owners. Tickets should not be a financial instrument and if we're not winning every home game the team needs to help any way it can. But let's do our part and hopefully it's not necessary.

Side note: I was thinking about the opposing fan vs. drunk fan debate and I think we should change it to the regular vs. random argument. I've never seen a return problem. Or, I've never seen a regular cause a problem.

I'll sign up for 

There are only 2 ways to keep opposing fans out.

1)  Build a smaller stadium in a central location.

2)  Win on the field.

If you win, Redskins fans will come.

There's got to be other ways.

1. I'll sign up for a smaller stadium - but you still have to sell them to guys like me and Cooooley47.

2) That hasn't been my experience. But we'll see right? The reigning NFC East division champs are opening at home against a non-playoff team. Should be a red out if your theory holds true.

I'll sign up for

1. I'll sign up for a smaller stadium - but you still have to sell them to guys like me and Cooooley47.

2) That hasn't been my experience. But we'll see right? The reigning NFC East division champs are opening at home against a non-playoff team. Should be a red out if your theory holds true.

1) People are going to sell their tickets to whoever gives them the most money or provides the easiest transaction. So unless you want to broadcast that you and Redskins fans are paying 15% over face or whatever to guarantee you get the ticket, it won't matter and it shouldn't.

I'm not a season ticket holder but if I was, I wouldn't even ask if they were Redskins fans. If they're paying me money and helping me out, they're on my team.

2) He's talking about winning consistently and being a contender. One 9-7 season and a title in a crap division isn't enough.

Um, Steelers did make the playoffs last season.

I'm not a season ticket holder but if I was, I wouldn't even ask if they were Redskins fans. If they're paying me money and helping me out, they're on my team.

I don't think you'd ever hear a season ticket holder say that.

2) I stand corrected - Steelers were a wildcard last year. They've had 3 winning seasons in the last 5 years in a division with the Browns. The Redskins have had 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years... the most current being a division championship.

For anyone who wants to say we need to win, tell me exactly how much winning constitutes good enough for people who buy tickets to attend the games for which they've already paid over $120 per seat. As has been stated earlier, that simply drives up the price making it more likely a season ticket holder would sell. When ticket prices are below face, as is frequently the case in recent history, ticket holders would be less inclined to sell. AmIright?

Your experience since when?

The last time the redskins won on the field in any meaningful manner they were at RFK and Gibbs was the coach. Season tickets were cherished family possessions passed down, and if you didn't have/couldn't afford season tickets then you were luck if you knew someone willing to sell you a seat here and there.

Coming off 2012 does not compare, and neither does coming off 2015. Win the division a few times in a row, to the point where you're a legitimate contender year in and year out. Win some playoff games.

The redskins have been living under the blind squirrel theory for the last 25 years (that hurts to type), they haven't been meeting any real measurement of 'winning on the field'

I seriously doubt a 5-8 year of being in the playoffs and being a legit contender year in and year out will bring back the good old days of RFK, because the modern day NFL, the modern day fanbase, and the large stadium make that damn near impossible for us. But it'll absolutely stop the embarrassment it's become.

for some context, during the 80's when RFK's reputation went from being a dump to being this magical place we now refer to it as, the redskins won the division 5 times out of 10, 3 of them in a row to start the run. They won the super bowl 3 times during that stretch too. In 5 of the years they didn't win the division, they made the playoffs twice. They hosted 4 NFC champion ship games. FOUR. In our stadium.

7 playoff apperances in 10 years.

8 in 11 if you want to go to the 92 season, when they finished 3rd in the division.

Since '92 we've finished 1st a grand total of 3 times. We've made the playoffs 5 times in 25 years. we've won a total of two playoff games.

Winning on the field has been elusive for us in any meaningful sense. Most people my age (31) and younger have no idea what it's like to have the redskins be relevant in the NFL in any real sense. Some would argue - relevant at all.

Winning on the field has been elusive for us in any meaningful sense. Most people my age (31) and younger have no idea what it's like to have the redskins be relevant in the NFL in any real sense. Some would argue - relevant at all.

Dag!

That puts it in perspective. I'm 52 years old and lived the glory days, and attended a lot of games back then, including the NFC championship game, when we smoked the Lions.

We were a damn good,feared and respected organization. If you had told me back then, that we would sink so low, in the future, I would'be laughed in your face. It was unthinkable. We had some poor seasons, but there was always hope, and we were damn sure not an embarassment.

I feel bad for younger fans, who have never experienced those good times. I have a lot of respect for them.

I'll sign up for 

Young people I work with, older than my college age daughter, and college graduates tell me as long as I have been alive the Redskins have sucked.  That's why I am a Ravens fan.

On top of that there has been no reason to go to the games.  Until this year they always lose at home.

I scalp club seats in the parking lot for $15 and get offered free tickets because nobody wants them.

2 decades of losing, a marketing plan to sell tickets to business, and a stadium way too big.  I am surprised there are fans there.

Archived