Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Huffington Post: Three Black Women Claim They Were Beaten By White Students On A Bus

Xameil

Don't know if any of you have already seen this or not...just thought I'd share.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/three-black-women-claim-they-were-beaten-by-white-students-on-a-bus_us_56af77f5e4b0010e80eac07e

Three black female State University of New York Albany students alleged they were victims of a hate crime when a group of white students harassed and assaulted them on Saturday.  

The women claimed they got into an argument with a group of 10 to 12 men and women from their school after they boarded a city bus,

Ya think? Lol.

The article basically tells you the absolute basics.  With that said, anytime its men beating on women, races aside, not a good look no matter the details.

Depends on the details.  Remember 8ball jacket guy? 

Now in this case the women are saying they were beat up by a large group and the beating continued after they fell to the ground and that racial slurs were hurled during the beating.  More to the story doesn't make that level of ugly somehow look good.  That would require an entirely different story supported by some timely recording work. 

UAlbany bus assault: New videos call into question 'racially motivated' claim

Several University of Albany community leaders are raising serious doubts about the claim that a fight that broke out on a campus bus was racially motivated.

Three female black students took to social media shortly after the January 30 incident claiming that they "got jumped on a bus while people hit us and called us the 'n' word."

They said no one came to their aid as "20 people screaming racial slurs" attacked them.

I can't believe I just experienced what it's like to be beaten because of the color of my skin.
— Asha Burwell (@AshaBurwell)

The story and original Instagram video—since removed—spread around on social media, and prompted a response from UAlbany President Robert Jones who said he was "deeply concerned, saddened and angry."

There was skepticism about the claims from the beginning, largely due to the video only showing a one-on-one altercation at the back of the bus. Now, Albany Times Union columnist Chris Churchill writes that the students' story is crumbling now that further video evidence has been screened by community leaders.

"Those who have seen the videos say they do not show the women being assaulted by a group of people," Churchill writes. "There was definitely a fight—a white female student suffered a black eye—but it isn't clear how it started and seems to have involved a small number of people.

He notes that other minority students on the bus at the time did not report hearing racial slurs.

"Nothing is clear-cut at all," Alice Green, executive director of the Center for Law & Justice, told the Times Union. "People have claimed there was a racial incident. It's kind of hard to tell from the video. ... It's just very confusing."

http://www.syracuse.com/state/index.ssf/2016/02/albany_bus_assault_racial_allegations_fall_apart.html

Doesn't look like the bus video has been released and the bus apparently has a dozen cameras. 

Only video I've found is not helpful.  http://atlantablackstar.com/2016/02/03/watch-newly-released-video-shows-allegedly-racially-motivated-ualbany-bus-fight/ Just shows the back of one person fighting but not what lead up to it or even who is fighting.

I think this update from the University President struck the right tone at the time it was written:

http://www.albany.edu/administration/president-jones-update-video.php

Last weekend there was a report of a violent incident on a CDTA bus on our Uptown Campus.

I know that this is a concern for all of us, and I want you to know that this has my full attention.

There’s been a lot of work done in the last few days, and I’d like to give you an update on where things stand.

I have asked our University Police Department to conduct a thorough investigation. They are doing just that.

Our police have interviewed 29 people who were witnesses or participants. And they have analyzed video and audio evidence as well. But our police still have more work to do.

We really need and want to get this right, for the students involved, for our campus and for the future of our University.

Our police are working closely with the office of the District Attorney, David Soares, and he has assured me that this case has his full attention.

We need to give them sufficient time to complete their investigation. And I am hoping that this will happen soon.

In the meantime, I ask all of us to not rush to judgment. We need to know all of the facts. We must get this right.

. . .

But I notice that was from over a week ago, and I cannot find any official word on the matter since then.

So much about this is puzzling to me. I'll try to articulate some of my questions:

1. What do the 12 videos show? What did the 29 witnesses report? Why hasn't any of this been released? Are there pending criminal charges? Is there some fear of backlash?

2. What actually happened? Was this just your typical drunk bus hijinks? Or is it possible the allegations are true?

3. Did these young women just fabricate this story, and if so why?

4. If their story is false, is it possible they actually perceived the incident the way they alleged? What would that suggest?

5. Would it make any difference in the beliefs of the demonstrators and counter demonstrators if the evidence conclusively answered the question about what happened? If not, why not?

Those of you who know me know that I'm usually the first in line to protest racism and insist on social justice, and I do believe we have a serious problem with racism and injustice in this country.

But I also find identity politics and the accompanying assault on truth and common sense highly disturbing. It bugs me how many people seem to have decided the case (one way or another) in advance of the evidence.

Without any concrete evidence or official report about what actually happened, this case just leaves me befuddled.

Nonetheless it could have happened.  I think it deserves lengthy discussion and Al Sharpton.

You mean lengthy discussion and Al Sharpton, or lengthy discussion OF Al Sharpton?  

Because every time race comes up on this board, the "Let's talk about the real racist: Al Sharpton" card gets played early and often.    :P  

Let me guess... Students joining hands and singing we shall overcome at U of Albany, and President resigns?

Bonus points if at least one of the student leaders is on a hunger strike.

Again, given the likely similar demographic in many such cases (IQ that measures only in negative values), I predict a shortage of snacks and no lube for the dildos.

I can tell you what the outcome is so far if you want me to...

Let me guess... Students joining hands and singing we shall overcome at U of Albany, and President resigns?

Bonus points if at least one of the student leaders is on a hunger strike.

The president should resign, but not for the reason most think...

Archived