Extremeskins

Where does P. Manning rank all time?

BornaSkinsFan83

Is he top 5? Here's my top 4:

1) Brady

- Montana

- Unitas

- Marino

The only one I have locked into a spot is Brady at GOAT status at the top. The other ones can be mixed up but I think that's probably my order.

So is Peyton #5? I know he's won two SB's but he played like **** in both. And while hrs won two--half of Brady--he's also lost two. And I know he's got records but different era, different game. Plus he played with some GREAT skill-position teammates (Harrison and Wayne at the same time for example.) And I'm sure playing inside on turf for most of his career didn't hurt.

I don't know. I'm not trying to deny the man's greatness. He's an all-time great and a legend. All that said, I still think he's a bit overrated.

Motivation for this thread is my Indy-born uncle (by marriage) trying to argue with me that Manning is better than Brady (preposterous imo), including the statement "Brady isn't half the QB that OUR Peyton is." (emphasis mine. Freaking fanboy. Oh and I know he's exaggerating but still).

Ive met a few people like my uncle. They worship Manning likes he's the second coming of Christ or some ****. And half of them aren't even Broncos/Colts fans. They just love good 'ol beer-pitching Peyton. I don't get it.

I'm curious where you all rank him? Who's above him and who is he above. And why? Thanks.

Btw I feel like we've might've possibly done this topic before. If so, I apologize. Mods, if so, please merge it or close it. I'm sorry.

For guys like Unitas I think its really hard to rate them against modern era players - its almost a different game. How would Sammy Baugh stack up in this debate for example? For the purpose of this discussion I would look at QB's from say 1970 onwards.

Montana is my number one. Understand the arguments for Brady but I watched Montana do things under pressure in the big games that were surgical too many times to put him anywhere else.

Brady would be number 2.

I'd put Manning in at 3. His regular season numbers speak for themselves and now this second ring solidifies his legacy. At his peak (which lasted for a long time) he was incredibly good. Not a guy who overpowered you with his physical gifts, did not always throw the pretty spiral but his complete control of his offense and ability to understand and outthink the defence were very special. 

Number 4 for me would be Steve Young - that might be a tad high given he had to wait behind Montana for a few years but once he took over he played the position at a level that was right there with Montana which is high praise. He was physically more gifted than Joe as well.

Then at 5 I put Elway who was maybe the most physically talented QB I saw play (QBs like Newton might change that before they are done).

If a HOFer can be underrated, I think a Steve Young is.

But as for Peyton, I had to fall back on him as his postseason performances werent up to snuff, relative to the other guys in this conversation. And when Brady started matching him in the kind of regular season numbers he was putting up, I ran out of Peyton defenses. But he was SO good in the regular season, I couldn't have him worse than say, 3rd.

I think Peyton should be locked in at number 3 behind Brady and Montana.

I always see Peyton as the regular season GOAT but Brady as the actual GOAT and Montana inbetween them. Manning's performances in the postseason haven't been good enough to warrant a higher spot.

I think Peyton should be locked in at number 3 behind Brady and Montana.

I always see Peyton as the regular season GOAT but Brady as the actual GOAT and Montana inbetween them. Manning's performances in the postseason haven't been good enough to warrant a higher spot.

This is starting to be somewhat debatable. He beat Brady in 3 AFC Championship games.

Is what it is

Manning's defense carried him to both Super Bowls. Brady has a nasty defense his first few SBs too but he made Clutch plays and game winning drives in every playoff and SB run he has had. He even had game winning drives in the two SBs that he lost but His defense gave up the game afterward.

Brady, Montana, Manning, Elway...I guess Marino at 5? I don't know.

Manning didn't beat Brady this year though. His defense did. Manning actually had a poor enough game.

Brady has been the better postseason QB imo without a doubt.

Well for most of the years Peyton was in the playoffs he had horrible defenses to play with. So Mannings records in the playoffs should be just as much on those bad D's if not more so. If you are going to not count this years win over Brady.

Manning didn't beat Brady this year though. His defense did. Manning actually had a poor enough game.

Brady has been the better postseason QB imo without a doubt.

If all it takes was to have a great QB to win SB, then Marino would have had a bunch of rings all by himself. And we would have had none. But that's not how it works.

Where does Manning Rank all-time?

As Martin said, it's better to put the guys before 1970 aside in this discussion, not really the same game. There's already enough difference between the eighties and nowadays to compare guys.

Montana have to be 1st. He had a great team, like Brady, but if not for Leonard Marshall, he would have three-peat. Brady never came close to that.

Brady is obviously second.

Then I'm having trouble. Young, Elway, are huge QB with history. Still, I'd put them both behind Manning and Marino. I'd even put Marino at 3 some times, depending on my mood.

1: Montana

2: Brady:

3/4: Marino / Manning.

5/6: Young / Elway / Kelly / Aikman

Manning's defense carried him to both Super Bowls. Brady has a nasty defense his first few SBs too but he made Clutch plays and game winning drives in every playoff and SB run he has had. He even had game winning drives in the two SBs that he lost but His defense gave up the game afterward.

Brady, Montana, Manning, Elway...I guess Marino at 5? I don't know.

That's not really fair. The Colts were down something like 21-3 to the Pats in the AFC Title game in his first Super Bowl year before Manning rallied them from behind. Their D was far from great that year although when Bob Sanders was healthy they stepped up in the playoffs.

Also, regular season does matter. If you don't do anything in the regular season you don't even get a shot in the playoffs, and Manning had DOMINANT regular seasons to give the Colts a chance. You saw what happened that one year he was out, they were the worst team in the league. For comparison sakes the Pats managed to go 11-5 the one year they were without Brady. Manning's teams were basically a lock for 12+ wins a year.

I think Manning is the GOAT when you factor in everything. He has the monster numbers, the wins, two championships, QB-ed TWO teams to Super Bowl wins(yes he was carried this year, but it balances out all those years when he was awesome and didn't win).

There is just no argument that works against Manning. He has the numbers, he has rings, and contrary to popular belief he is clutch(Manning has the most 4th quarter comebacks in NFL history with 45, Brady is second with 37).

The only thing you can say is a few guys have more rings, but as we saw yesterday rings won is based really on the overall team around you. Brady was a game manager for his first 3 rings. Bradshaw had the Steel Curtain D. Montana doesn't sniff Manning's #s and never did. #s wise Marino could be argued but he never won a ring(could be considered unfair argument, but Marino only had a 77 career playoff QB rating, compared to Manning who's at 87).

While fun, I think it's a brutal exercise in futility to compare players from different era's.  There should be some kind of demarcation between the pre and post offense explosion we have seen  - similiar to baseball's dead and live ball era. 

Is Manning really 55 TD's a season good? Does he do that in 1983? Not with Lester Hayes in the secondary!

I'll, say, with 2 super bowls, the crazy stats, i put him behind Brady at #2.  

Also, on side note, Why is Elway in the discussion? Why? I'll never get that.  2-3 in super bowls, 79.9 QB rating in playoffs. 

His regular season numbers are top 5, his postseason numbers are average.

That 2nd Superbowl will help his legacy, as the years go by many will forget how bad he was and little he had to do with the victory.

I guess anyone with 2 Superbowls deserves to be in that top 15 or 20 of all time.

There is just no argument that works against Manning. He has the numbers, he has rings, and contrary to popular belief he is clutch(Manning has the most 4th quarter comebacks in NFL history with 45, Brady is second with 37).

The only thing you can say is a few guys have more rings, but as we saw yesterday rings won is based really on the overall team around you. Brady was a game manager for his first 3 rings. Bradshaw had the Steel Curtain D. Montana doesn't sniff Manning's #s and never did. #s wise Marino could be argued but he never won a ring(could be considered unfair argument, but Marino only had a 77 career playoff QB rating, compared to Manning who's at 87).

Brady was only a game manager for their first SB win and that could just as easily be a product of the game plan to keep the Rams offense off the field for that game.

He was 32/48 354 and 3 TDs in his 2nd Super Bowl.

He was 23/33 236 and 2 TDs in his 3rd Super Bowl.

It's a big what-if but Brady never really had the weapons Manning had through his career either. The one year he did, he beat Manning's season records. Let Brady play with Julius Thomas, D Thomas, Sanders etc the past few years.

Brady even led game winning TD drives in his SB losses. Manning by comparison, directly blew one SB with a late pick 6 and played horrifically in his other loss.

Can't think of any metric where Manning is ranked higher than Brady, except career stats, which Brady will be close to when he hangs it up.

For the modern era of football, I'd go with the following:

1) Montana

2-3) Brady/Manning

4) Marino

5) Young

6) Brees

7) Favre

I don't think you can put Marino in front of Manning, ever. While Marino compares favorably in his passing ability, his numbers were far more pedestrian in the playoffs, and he doesn't have a ring. Manning has been a wizard in his career, and deserves the top 3 all time nod, IMO.

I just feel lucky, as an NFL fan, to grow up watching the likes of Young, Brady, Manning, Brees, and Favre play the game of football. What a golden age of quarterbacking.

Archived